PDA

View Full Version : Scarf suggestions...

gardenmommy
10-12-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty new to knitting (about a month) but I'm thinking that this Christmas I'll be gifting the ladies of the family with scarves. However, my nearest LYS (relatively speaking) is about 50 miles away, so not too convenient for me to get to and "experience" a lot of different yarns. I do plan on making a trip there some time, but I'm due with my fourth baby in about 11 days! I do have a Joann's and Hobby Lobby nearby though. There is also a nearby craft store that has more than the mass-marketed brands like some Plymouth and Artful yarns, but most of those are a bit beyond my budget. What I REALLY want to do is a Knitpicks order (twist my arm ;) ) since I want to get some of their self-patterning sock yarn to do the Simple Stripes baby sweater, so I need to get enough to get the free shipping . So anyway, I'm looking for suggestions of yarns (especially any from Knitpicks) that are:

1. At least hand washable, preferably machine washable, but don't want something that the owner might accidentially felt! LOL

2. Soft and wearable of course! I don't *think* anyone is sensitive to wool.

3. Would keep the price $10.00 for a good-sized scarf (or less), I'd probably have about 10 or so to do. Can't be doing that many $20.00 scarves! There were some scarves at the craft store made up from one skein of the $10/skein yarns, but they were pretty small.

Kristen : )

Julie
10-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Knitpicks....2 skeins of Suri Dream ($4 each) would make a wonderfully soft, decent sized scarf IMHO. Very fuzzy...if you're not into fuzz, Decadence is WONDERFUL, but a little more expensive. A 2-skein scarf would run you $13. And of course Panache is out of this world, so wonderfully soft!

Very few of the KP yarns are machine washable -- I think only a few of the sock yarns, and the cottons. Most wool/alpaca/etc has to be hand-washed.

On the local front....KellyK just finished a scarf (http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsscarf.htm) in Bernat Denimstyle (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=denimstyle) that she says is veeery cozy, and that yarn is quite inexpensive, and also machine washable. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. Comes in some really cool colors too. :D

KellyK
10-12-2005, 04:31 PM
On the local front....KellyK just finished a scarf (http://www.knitlist.com/96gift/giftsscarf.htm) in Bernat Denimstyle (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=denimstyle) that she says is veeery cozy, and that yarn is quite inexpensive, and also machine washable. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. Comes in some really cool colors too. :D

VERY VERY soft and cozy...and that pattern is GREAT for a beginner!

rebecca
10-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Oh, yes, i did several scarves & hats with denim style last Christmas & they were big hits! Bernat also has a few other washable yarns that are yummy & soft for scarves!
I did alot of work for my granddaughter with knitpicks 'crayon' yarn. It is cotton, machine washable, but lie flat to dry. The colors are vibrant and fun!

JessicaR
10-13-2005, 02:35 AM
All my scarves were done with a skein of Fun Fur and TLC Amore as the backer yarn. Using size 15 needles cast on 10 stitches and just knit til the Fun Fur is gone. It's thin enough to use as a decorative scarf but long enough to double up in the cold weather. They're my favorite.

cheesiesmom
10-13-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm currently doing scarves for the women I work with. Using Lion Jiffy and Imagine. Imagine has some mohair and Jiffy is an mohair-look acrylicl, but they are machine washable. I also used Lion Wool-ease for a hat and scarf for my son. I got great deals on the yarns from 1) Ebay; 2) Joann's online. The Irish hiking scarf I made for my son (pattern on free pattern page of KH) took about 2-1/2 skeins of wool-ease. I got the yarn for $1.99 per skein.

The mohair/acrylic yarns I'm using for lacier patterns albeit with larger needles and they look (if I do say so myself) sensational. They are taking approximately 2 skeins of yarn each. So, they are coming in at $10 more or less. Of course they aren't 6 foot scarves, but more ttraditional size (55 to 60 inches).

I'm looking for "cheap" cashmere for bosses' scarves. Smiley's has it for $15.99/skein. Anyone have any experience with it?

kitkat
10-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Kelly,

Did you double up your denim style when you did your cool scarf??? (which I may hve to use that pattern for my nephew, it looks manly, eh??).....

So many inexpensive and easy to work with yarns out there for scarves....I did one out of that woolease thick and quick just in garter, and it was cute and easy- I did the SNB pattern where you use two yarns so end up with stripes....Homespun can be a PITA....Liobrand boucle makes a fun scarf.....

KellyK
10-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Nope - just one strand. And, I used needles one size larger than what the denimstyle asked for....it turns out even softer! I tried 2 sizes up, and it was too loose. I CO 27 (?I think?) sts.

Stonington
10-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Nope - just one strand. And, I used needles one size larger than what the denimstyle asked for....it turns out even softer! I tried 2 sizes up, and it was too loose. I CO 27 (?I think?) sts.

:sunny: Morning Kelly,
I have almost finished the cable scarf that you helped me with several weeks ago. Could you tell me how you attached your fringe? (sp lol) Thanks so much!
anne
southern maine

knitncook
10-17-2005, 12:38 PM
HL and Joanne's both have some lovely washable wool blends. Woolease is another option. Has just enough wool in it to make it soft and just enough acrylic to make it washable and hold its shape.

There is a lovely diamond scarf patter at http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTedgar.html Knitty.com It's called Edgar. Very cool look and it knits up really fast. Don't be intimidated by it. It's just knitting with decreases in the middle (that's what makes it do the diamonds) and then casting on at the ends to start the next diamond. I've made it in both Jewel Box (I think that is a Lion Brand yarn) as well as Joanne's all wool line that they carry and both turned out very lovely. EAch took one skein and cost around $5. I was able to knit up 9 diamond scarves in about 5 or so hours of knitting (hard to really say as I did each in 2 nights while watching Law and Order reruns on USA :oops: )

kitkat
10-17-2005, 02:26 PM
I am so confuzzled by Edgar, I don't even get how she is casting the darn thing on!

KellyK
10-17-2005, 04:22 PM
:sunny: Morning Kelly,
I have almost finished the cable scarf that you helped me with several weeks ago. Could you tell me how you attached your fringe? (sp lol) Thanks so much!
anne
southern maine

I had threaded the yarn through & puilled the ends of the scard closed in three places at the bottom of each cable. Then I used those tails to thread through the top of each tassle with my tapestry needle, snugging it up to the scarf so you couldnt really see it.

There was probably a MUCH MUCH easier way.... I had never attached tassles to anything before! :shock:

knitncook
10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I am so confuzzled by Edgar, I don't even get how she is casting the darn thing on!

I just did a traditional long tail cast on. 31 stitches. She has a note that when you slip the first stitch of every row, you want to bring your yarn forward as if you are going to purl, slip the stitch, then pull the yarn back to the back as if to knit and knit the next stitch.

Basically you are slipping the first stitch, knitting to the center, slipping another stitch, knitting 2 together, passing the slipped stitch over (this is your decrease) and then knitting to the end of the row, then you knit back to the "beginnig" again and start over. When you get down to having only having 15 needles on your needle, you then cast back on (I just did the simple thumb loop cast on) on each end to bring your count back up to 31. It's all a math game, really.

When you first start knitting, don't think about what's ahead, just think about what you are doing right now. I copy most of my patterns and put them into a word document and use a paperclip to keep up with what row I am on. That way you only worry about what is happening on your current row. This is one of those patterns that you just have to knit and trust that it is going to do what it says it will do.

PM me if you have any questions. I've made a few of these scarves for presents this winter and they do up fairly quickly once you get the hang of the pattern.

kitkat
10-17-2005, 05:29 PM
A paperclip! There's a thought!

I do copy them into an excel or word document so that I can cross off what I am done with....

I may give it a try, I love the looks of Edgar, but quite frankly the destructions kind of blew me away.

Ingrid
10-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Post-it notes are great for keeping track of patterns and charts, too.

knitncook
10-17-2005, 07:50 PM
A paperclip! There's a thought!

I do copy them into an excel or word document so that I can cross off what I am done with....

I may give it a try, I love the looks of Edgar, but quite frankly the destructions kind of blew me away.

I started using a paperclip insstead of marking the instructions off because so many instructions say, "Repeat from *" or "Work rows 2 through 9 ten times" Instead of either copying rows 2 through 9 ten times or getting all confuzzled from which line I had marked off which time, I just started using a paperclip. I actually have an arrow shaped bookmark that I use now that says, "Hold that thought" (I think I got it at Barnes and Noble) It's prefect for marking where I am on patterns.

As for Edgar, take it one row at a time. Don't think ahead. Just do it. Trust me, this is a really nice scarf and it becomes fun after a while watching your diamonds grow!