PDA

View Full Version : got a ? about socks

koolbreeze
10-12-2005, 03:47 PM
do you HAVE to use sock yarn for socks?

Ingrid
10-12-2005, 04:03 PM
I haven't made socks, but I can tell you that you don't have to use sock yarn. Sock yarn is just thin--and the self-striping sock yarn, I believe is dyed to form the stripes on sock-sized things.

Virtuella
10-12-2005, 04:10 PM
I always use sock yarn because the yarn is reinforced, about 20% nylon in it. I would not knit socks (and I knit many of them) without reinforcement, so much work/time to knit, and hole in it at once when you start wearing them.
Babysocks I do knit of ordinary babywool, of course!

Ingrid
10-12-2005, 04:19 PM
Aha!! I didn't know that! Listen to Virtuella, Carmell. ;)

koolbreeze
10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
ok thanks!!! i was really wonderin about baby socks! u read my mind, Virtuella! :thumbsup:

Virtuella
10-12-2005, 04:27 PM
ok thanks!!! i was really wonderin about baby socks! u read my mind, Virtuella! :thumbsup:

Babysocks.. so sweet to knit, I made a heap of them for a friend some months ago..

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/5813/Babystrmper.th.jpg (http://img362.imageshack.us/my.php?image=Babystrmper.jpg) .. and I used babywool.

koolbreeze
10-12-2005, 06:30 PM
awwwww!!! they are so cute. mine wouldn't be that good!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

rebecca
10-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Sorry :blush: , difference of opinion! You don't have to use sock yarn exclusively; as a matter of fact, if u are 1st starting out, it is recommended that you use a larger size yarn (ex. sport, dk or worsted wt) and with larger dpns than those used for sock yarn. I do, however, when using fingering wt yarn, that is 100% wool, for example, reinforce the heel & toe with wooly nylon...this is something that is generally found in fabric stores & used alot with serger sewing machines. Many sock yarns on the market come with reinforcing thread that matches the yarn that you are buying. My problem is the palette that I ordered from KnitPicks is a fingering wt yarn, but essentialy for fair isle, so I am going to have to look for the wooly nylon to match my colors at our local fabric store Although, before I knew about reinforcing socks, I knit several pair of socks from knitpicks natural, dyeable fingering wt yarn & didn't reinforce & so far, so good :D
virtuella, I didn't mean to step on your toes, just relaying my experiences, k?! ;) And your socks are beeeautiful!! :heart: :heart: them!
Carmell...never say never...of course your socks will look as nice...practice makes perfect, my friend...now, :fingerwag: don't let me hear you say something like that again...I will go "mother" on you in a minute ;) ...FYI, meaning acting like a mother ;)

koolbreeze
10-12-2005, 09:46 PM
i gotcha rebecca!!! :thumbsup:
i did do one baby sock... :oo: needless to say... i am too embarassed to put it on here!!!! :help:

feministmama
10-12-2005, 11:00 PM
There's a knitty Gritty episode that makes a thick pair of socks without sock yarn. If you want a videotape of it, I have it and I could send it to ya.

koolbreeze
10-12-2005, 11:22 PM
no no no... i hate socks and if i wear them i wear thin ones!!! but thanks anyway. i was asking because i have some fingering weight left over and i wanted to know if it was ok to make some socks out of something other than sock yarn!

JessicaR
10-13-2005, 02:29 AM
got a ? about socks

They go on your feet :D

koolbreeze
10-13-2005, 11:28 AM
ha ha you're funny! :twisted:

AidanM
10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
EZ used regular wool and some nylon thread f or knitting heels and toes, for reinforcement. If you get a hole, though, it's quite simple to mend them using duplicate stitch.

AidanM
10-13-2005, 01:22 PM
EZ used regular wool and some nylon thread f or knitting heels and toes, for reinforcement. If you get a hole, though, it's quite simple to mend them using duplicate stitch.

kemp
10-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Another reason to use "sock" yarn though is because most of it is machine washable. For babies I would use about anything though...especially if you have some leftover.

JessicaR
10-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Sorry, had a few to many drinks last night! ;)