PDA

View Full Version : They're stitch markers, dang it!

bekahdrmom
10-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Okay, I was working on a baby blanket last night and got absolutely sick of trying to keep count on my increase row (it's really not an easy feat with 2 toddler boys running around).

So, DUH, Rebekah! Use stitch markers :doh:

Okay, I need 9 markers. One, two (I'm starting to run out quickly), three, four...Man, I can't use these other ones! Now what? :??

Hey! :figureditout: Paperclips! Okay, the little ones won't fit...maybe I have some big ones around...here...somewhere...JACKPOT!

So now my baby blanket on circs looks more like a modified rabbi's hat (flat, pink, with paperclips hanging instead of black bobbles). But hey, whatever works, right? :D

Am I the only one who gets excited about this kinda thing?

brendajos
10-13-2005, 02:46 PM
psssst...cut off small pieces of yarn from your stash and tie them into loops!

bekahdrmom
10-13-2005, 02:49 PM
:thinking: It seems so simple...why didn't I think of that??

:lol:

Ingrid
10-13-2005, 03:49 PM
I only use yarn loops anymore--paper clips get caught on my knitting. You can also use a cut up DRINKING straw. I have lost 1,879,034 plastic stitch markers this year alone! ;)

Edited to change the 'knitting straw' :doh:

KellyK
10-13-2005, 03:53 PM
I dont like the plastic ones anyway....they take up too much room & have caused gaps.

brendajos
10-13-2005, 03:58 PM
ya know if you are keeping count of the ones you lose it would seem like you could just as easily keep track of them so you don't lose them! :rofling:

what is a knitting straw though?

btw...as brilliant as the yarn loops is, don't you know i bought some more rings the other day when i was in the store? why you ask? well because they were purple and green and flexible. i wanted to play with them!

be warned though...i find yarn loops all over the place now. on the floor, on my sofa, on my arse... :rollseyes:

Ingrid
10-13-2005, 04:04 PM
ya know if you are keeping count of the ones you lose it would seem like you could just as easily keep track of them so you don't lose them! :rofling:

what is a knitting straw though?

I meant DRINKING straw. :doh:

I can't keep track of them because they disappear as soon as I take my eyes off of them! Someday I'll cut open the couch and a river of them will spill out.! ;)

brendajos
10-13-2005, 04:07 PM
lol that is true. it is a very similar phenomenon to all the ones that collect on my arse :rollseyes:

i am glad it is a drinking straw because i thought there was some knitting accessory i hadn't seen yet and i was trying to figure out how i was going to get gas, pick up a cake, go to the LYS, AND get to my p/t job in the 45 minute window i have between jobs....all during rush hour traffic of course ;)

glad to know i don't need to go find knitting straws! *whew*

Ingrid
10-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Better be careful or we'll start making stuff up!! :roflhard:

bekahdrmom
10-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Well I can definitely say I've lost some stitch markers myself. As for the paperclips, I find that having them hang with the ends pointing away from the knitting has kept them from sticking. I have more trouble with that from the actual markers...that little pointy part is definitely not knitting friendly!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
10-14-2005, 12:26 PM
i never lose stitch markers.... just like I never lose cable needles, point protectors, darning needles, or row counters.

that's because I buy the special kind that dissolve after one use.

Ingrid
10-14-2005, 12:39 PM
:roflhard: Maybe I bought those without realizing it!

brendajos
10-14-2005, 12:40 PM
they should definitely label those packages better!

bekahdrmom
10-14-2005, 03:53 PM
they should definitely label those packages better!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

foldedbird
10-14-2005, 10:54 PM
I came up with a really cool idea to solve this problem, I lose mine too. And made them! :oops: :blush: Oh, the horra!

Soon as the prototype is done, I'll show ya :P

humblestumble
10-14-2005, 10:57 PM
I use paper clips too, and I also use yarn scraps - they work great in contrast. I also agree with KellyK. I'm not a fan of the plastic manufactured ones.

aprildavis99
10-15-2005, 04:35 AM
Am I the only one who gets excited about this kinda thing?

No you're not the only one. I am working on my first pair of socks using size 2 dpn's. It has cables on the sides. I didn't bring the cable needle with me to work because I didn't think I would get to that part during my lunch hour. But I got there and of course..no cable needle. So I used a straightened end of a large paper clip. It's actually working great.....and there's an abundance of them here in the office. I felt so clever :thumbsup:

But for the record....I am NOT bringing any paper clips home...just FYI for those office-supply-embezzling-monitors out there. :roflhard: