PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Groups.

kome
10-17-2005, 04:05 PM
This has probably been discussed before, but I haven't so the topic so NUR.

I'm thinking about going to a knitting group tonight that meets at 8:00 PM on Monday's... but I'm scared. Haha. As crazy as I can be online, I'm quite the bit shy in person. :rollseyes: So I was wondering... how many of you go to a knitting group in your area? What are they like?

And does anyone go to the one in Orlando, FL at Starbuck's????

Julie
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Kemp wrote a very funny post about this very subject: http://www.divaknitting.com/blog/?p=179

I've only knit with the IL KHers...not *total* strangers...but it seems to me that knitters are a friendly bunch. It's a really cool common ground IMHO. :D

foldedbird
10-17-2005, 04:39 PM
I started a knitting group in my area, and let me be the first to tell you I was VERY nervous! I soon realize that I had nothing to be nervous about. When knitters get together, there is no judgement. No one cares what you drive, how much $$$ you have, or about your clothes, how big your rear end might be...or any of that. It's the knitting we all care about and want to hear about.

One of my members is a best-selling author, one is a pharmacutical (sp?) consultant, and there are 2 military wives who barely have a pot to pee in. There's no way to tell them apart...we all have one obsession: YARN!

Btw...I'm the one with the enormous arse!

kome
10-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Haha. Thanks! I am very nervous, but I think I might go! Just maybe not this week... I'm so stressed about finding a good job that I can't seem to have fun doing anything. :crying:

foldedbird
10-17-2005, 04:56 PM
GO!!! I think going to the group might give ya the boost that you need. With my rowdy bunch at home, I *count down* the days in between meetings. After a meeting, I always feel soooo much better.

Debbie
10-17-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm in Orlando! Which Starbucks???

Sylvie
10-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Even if you're nervous, go go go!!! :XX: :XY: :X:

Groups are so much fun, I really think you'll find friendship there!
Next saturday I'll go to Paris for my 2nd meeting at Brentanos' knitting group and I'm sooo excited already!

And please don't forget to tell us how you feel when you're back! :D

margie
10-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Kome, it's funny you should post this now- I just found a knitting group in my town- I'm going to go tomorrow- and I am nervous, too!! I only know one person, and not very well at all- and I am somewhat shy in new situations...........but the idea of knitting with other people is so cool to me, I'm going to just GO, and see from there. I hope you go, too!! If I lived in Orlando, I'd go with you!!

Anne
10-17-2005, 07:27 PM
The first time i attended a knitting group i was scared also. It took me about 5 minutes to realize i was in good company. I had the best time knitting with all ages.

I was new at :XX: and thought i would make a fool out of myself not knowing anything but a garter stitch. I was not alone..

I found a new friend in the group and we have stayed in touch since the group stopped meeting due to summer. Now that Winter is on its way we hope to get the group started again.

Sylvie, my Daughter is leaving tomorrow for Paris. Then onto Italy for 2 weeks. Vacation time for her... she is so excited and i am for her.

koolbreeze
10-17-2005, 08:43 PM
nobody ever does anything here... :verysad: not like i could go if they did

Ingrid
10-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Poor, poor, Carmell. Stuck at home with the kids. :( I'm stuck at home in the evenings, too--and they're not even MY kids! ;) When everyone else is at their knitting groups, we'll hang out here, OK?

Andrea
10-17-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm in a group where I live. I was really nervous the first time and I'm still pretty quiet at the meetings but I really love going and seeing all these other wonderful different women all knitting!! :XX: :XX: :XX:

margie
10-17-2005, 09:42 PM
nobody ever does anything here... :verysad: not like i could go if they did

Carmell, if I lived near you, I'd come watch the kids so you could go to knitting group!! :heart:
When my boys were babies, I didn't go out much either. I actually got my mom to babysit my youngest when he was a few mos old, then informed DH that he would be watching the older one- so I could go out for a couple of hours. He wasn't comfortable watching both kids- and I needed to GET OUT!
Now that they are older, it's much different.

foldedbird
10-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Carmel, why not go to a Mommy & Me type group and knit there? You could teach some of the other mothers to knit. Heck, if you don't feel like leaving the house you could have the Moms and kids over to knit with you. Disney movies and play pens work wonders :)

koolbreeze
10-17-2005, 11:59 PM
:shock: then that would mean i would actually have to clean my house!!! :fingerwag: besides i need a break AWAY from the kids. i get my neice on some weekends...like this one and i HAD to get out. so i left the older kiddies and my and Krickett went to get her ears pierced!!! we stayed out for 3 hours!!!

foldedbird
10-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Cute earrings!!! Keep the tylenol handy :)

Sylvie
10-18-2005, 02:11 AM
Anne, I'm sure your daughter will have fun in France and Italy! I don't know Italy at all but there are a few places I'd like to go to!

Young people love travelling, my 17 yo son went to the other side of the ocean in august for the first time, he was in Quebec, Toronto, Montreal, then Niagara Falls and New York... he had so much fun!!!! :thumbsup:

margie
10-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Ooooooooo, Carmell- I just want to grab those cute chunky cheeks!! She is so sweet. :D

dustinac
10-18-2005, 08:27 AM
I don't have a knitting group but I do take knitting classes.. I wish we did have a knitting group. The LYS does have where you can come in and knit as long as there are no other classes going on. I'm shy so the first class I was like I'm not doing it but my dh and mom were like go you need to spend time away from the kids... We don't have close family up here with us and dh is gone before they are up (sometimes Isaiah is up) and comes home about 1/2 before bed time some weekdays so he told me he would come home early (means he has to go in supppeeerrr early) so I could go to class... :inlove:

As one shy person to another who kept saying no I don't think I should then maybe.. then no.. then maybe LOL I think you should go once ya get there and start meeting people the stomach nerves will ease... :D

koolbreeze
10-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Cute earrings!!! Keep the tylenol handy :)

thanks. actually shes done pretty good.

so if i could go to a knitting group and wanted to find one where would i look?

KellyK
10-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Here's a list of LYSs in MO....

http://knitting.about.com/library/blmo.htm

rebecca
10-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Kome...how was the group?!!! TELL, TELL!! :happydance: :happydance:
Carmell...sweet pic ;)

MaryS
10-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Hi all,

My condo association just started a knitting group two weeks ago.
We had 24 people at the first meeting! :cheering: :shock:

I've only lived in the complex since January, so I didn't know most of the people, but it was great! I took my brand new Denises ( the needles - not you, foldedbird!) and the FT clog pattern. I taught two people how to do a long tail cast on, and one person how to purl. :thumbsup: I also took a couple pairs of baby socks, and soon I'll be explaining how to "TURN THE DREADED HEEL".

Lots of the people had never seen interchangeables before, so mine were passed around and ooo'd and ah'd over. I also took all my Knitpicks color cards, and I know they'll be getting more business. Everyone was amazed at $1.79/ ball WOOL.

One thing that made me a little sad had to do with some of the LYSs in the area. When a newbie comes in and they fall in love with a ribbon yarn or eyelash, or something really fuzzy, the LYS doesn't tell them how hard it will be to LEARN on that yarn. Then when they're on their own they get discouraged because they can't tell what they're doing wrong, or sometimes even see where one stitch starts and the next one ends!
I suggested to a couple people that they get a ball of smooth worsted or bulky weight to practice on, or combine with their novelty yarn. I hate to see people give up on knitting because they start with the wrong materials! Has anyone else had this experience? I also told everyone I could about KH.

Happy Knitting and keep spreading the word! :XX: :XX:

Mary

kome
10-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Ugh... I went and no one was there. I stayed for 30 minutes and no one ever showed up. :crying: I even tried the other location they go to sometimes, and they weren't there either.

Granted... I didn't know what anyone looked like, but I also didn't see any knitting needles out or anything. I've just emailed the coordinator, so I'm hoping I'll find out what happened. BLEH. I am not having a good day. I got my debit card out at the bank to check my account balance and guess what wasn't there??? My liscence! And then earlier I went to the thrift store I got hired at and this lady says to call for an interview. WTF?!?! *cries* WAAAAAAAAIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: :crying: :crying:

margie
10-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Aww, Kome, I'm sorry you had such a bad day. :(

I went to my knitting group tonight!! It was fun. There were about 8 people there. I was the youngest woman- there was a college age guy there for a little while- his mom was also there- along with several older women and some more closer to my age. They were all very friendly. They do a lot of charity knitting for an Indian reservation in the Dakotas. I will definitely go back again next week!! It was fun knitting with other people.

foldedbird
10-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Me too!!! Don't let it get you down, OK?

Licensed2Cook
10-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Group knitting is wonderful, and I belong to the best group there is. These women are so much fun, they are the inspiration for my knitting retreat. I wanted to create a weekend where every knitter could feel the joy of being surrounded by other knitters and I have 4 rooms left if any of you are game;)

My group meets every Thursday evening in the Starbucks of a Barnes & Noble and we all really look forward to these knit nights. We take field trips out of state, take classes together, meet for dinner and travel to see any new LYS. We celebrate one anothers birthdays and we even had a potluck in my home where we put together a friendship afghan for one of our members that has since moved to California.

So please don't give up, it is so worth your effort to find a compatible group. Good Luck!

KellyK
10-19-2005, 07:44 AM
...and travel to see any new LYS.
If any of your ladies want to come with you on the 29th, Dee, they are welcome!! :cheering:

snooc
10-19-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm actually looking for a group in my area here in MA. Does anyone know the best place to look for listings?

KellyK
10-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Ask (PM) Amy! She lives in Mass....

Contiknitter Kelly
10-19-2005, 02:48 PM
For all kinds of knitting groups try www.meetup.comor Yahoo groups