PDA

View Full Version : Fair Isle Pattern Request

Knitlee
10-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Hi, all! I'm new here and thought I'd introduce myself and ask a question. I have been knitting for about three years now and thought I'd move on to more challenging patterns, so I've decided to try a fair isle pattern. Does anyone know of a good book or website where I can find a simple fair isle pattern to get my feet wet? :D

Ingrid
10-22-2005, 04:45 PM
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/search.php

Here are some free ones you can go through. Fair Isles are my first love and I have several sweater books, so when you're ready to dive into a larger project . . . . .

Julie
10-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I've been reading "Fair Isle Sweaters Simplified" by Ann & Eugene Bourgeois, and I really like it. I'm almost ready to try, I think....it has some really beautiful patterns in it, and pretty non-scary steek directions. I recommend checking your library for it!

Ingrid
10-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Thats the Philosopher's Wool book, right? I would definitely recommend it, too. Of the Fair Isle books, I think these are the easiest, and they use worsted weight wool rather than the thin jumper weight, which is very thin. I made a sweater from Encore that I had already, and it came out fine. Washable and dryable, too. They're yarns are gorgeous, but it bothers me that he says they stretch about 2 inches after the first washing.

Julie
10-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Yup, that's the one. :D

Knitlee
10-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Skeeking...
That's cutting a piece knitted in the round? :?:

rebecca
10-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Yep....Ing a Ling or some of these other girls around here that have done some steeking can fill u in on more details there, I've not yet...steeked!
Nice to meet you and :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: happy that you joined this crazy group of knitters ;)

Ingrid
10-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Steeks are extra stitches you knit in place of the armhole that can be cut later when you knit a sweater in the round. They can be used for the front of a cardigan as well as the neck of a sweater, too.

I did a demo on this thread (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4045&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=steek) a while back.