PDA

View Full Version : "lead stitch"

hizsongail
10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Hi:

I am new to this group. I just renewed my interest in knitting as a group of us at the law firm I work at wanted to start some projects. The person teaching us mentioned knowing how to look for the "lead stitch" - what exactly does that mean. Thanks for help. I truly enjoy this website with the video clips that demonstrate a stitch, I've progressed so quickly I am amazing myself that I actually "get it" in terms of making something.

Ingrid
10-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Apparently, none of us so far know what this is. Please let us know when you find out. I have an idea, and am really curious about it.

AidanM
10-28-2005, 08:20 PM
All I've found is this..

"ate: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 11:57:28 -0500
Subject: Re: Knit U: SSK mystery
> I've seen a couple of SSK tips recently that twist the second stitch,
which
> is *not* symmetrical with the k2tog construction, unless I'm missing
> something. Am I missing something?
> Kurt
When I ssk the Barbara Walker way, I get a very slight stair-stepping
appearance.
However, if I slip the 2nd stitch as if to purl, the twist tucks the second
stitch more effectively behind the lead stitch which results in a smoother
left-leaning line ... for me, at any rate.
This goes to the difficulty of achieving exact mirror-images of, say, the L
and R sides of a Fishbone cable, or a Bavarian Twisted stitch travelling L
and R. The addition of a twist in the second ssk stitch seems to compensate
for (my) knitting not behaving in real life as it (quote) should, according
to theory.
Pressing On,
Meg"

That's from http://www.knittinguniverse.com/xrx/community/KnitU_Detail.php?DigestNumber=2066

I think the lead stitch is probably just the very first stitch on the needle if you're knitting plainly, or it may refer specifically to the first stitch that is involved in a decrease, increase, or any stitch pattern.

Ingrid
10-28-2005, 08:28 PM
That's kind of what I thought, too, especially since it was a question from a new knitter--probably the first stitch on the left needle in Hizsongail's case. Makes sense for the first stitch in a pattern repeat or cable, too.

You should have been a detective, Aidan!

AidanM
10-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Oh, anybody coulda found it. There were only 6 or 7 results from google when I typed in "lead stitch" knit

hizsongail
10-30-2005, 02:31 AM
HI:

I just wanted to say "thank you" for all your help. Our instructor explained what it was and I just didn't get it. She seemed to make it sound harder than it was.

Gail aka hizsongail

AidanM
10-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Glad to be of assistance, Gail. :D