PDA

View Full Version : REBECCA!!! KP Sock Yarn Question

KellyK
10-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Hey, Becca, oh Sock Queen Extraordinaire.....

Which of KP sock yarns is the softest and/or most appropriate for a baby ensemble??

Im considering THIS (http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=6024) pattern. Cute, huh??

foldedbird
10-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Inquiring minds want to know, why are you wanting to use sock yarn for a hat?

KellyK
10-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Its the self-stripeyness of it. Doesnt it make a cute hat??

foldedbird
10-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Yes, it's a very cute hat! I was just wondering...now it makes sense. Who would want to do all those color changes? Not me!

knitqueen
10-31-2005, 11:33 AM
I did a child's hat using self-striping sock yarn and it was AWESOME!! (Sorry, I don't answer your question but just wanted to add that sock yarn is great for things other than socks!)

MaryS
10-31-2005, 02:59 PM
KK,

I'd use Simple Stripes from KP. That way it will look great and be machine washable too!

I love it that the pattern is in double-knitting!
It's really cute!

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

rebecca
10-31-2005, 04:24 PM
The Simple Stripes and Dancing & solid color, Essential and Parade (self striping, but more of a sport wt) are all that are machine washable. Of those the only ones that I have are Self-Striping & Dancing...I would go for the Simple Stripes...berry, berry soft & yummy for baby! Sorry, I don't have the others that are machine washable. I do have the all of their other sock yarns (Memories, Landscape & Garden), but I'm very sorry to say that they are all hand wash :(
Self-Striping is way soft & has very cool for baby colors ;)
I :heart: :inlove: :heart: that hat!!!!

KellyK
10-31-2005, 05:58 PM
THANKS everybody! As long as the simple stripes is SOFT, then Ill go for it...

Is anyone aware of a bootie pattern that uses sock yarn?? I dont remember seeing one on knittingpatterncentral, but then I wasnt looking just at gauge.

rebecca
10-31-2005, 06:55 PM
I quickly found these (http://knitting.about.com/library/bllaceboots.htm) but haven't got time to look...gotta cook supper for my sweetie.
Simple Stripe yarn is very soft ;)

KellyK
10-31-2005, 09:04 PM
OMGoodness....dont you worry about it! I can look for fingering weight patterns, Rebecca Darlin!!

KellyK
10-31-2005, 10:51 PM
Need more help....if you had NO CLUE whether baby was going to be a boy or girl, what color Simple Stripes (http://www.knitpicks.com/Yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420113) would you choose? Vineyard, Autumn, Crayons or Sweet Tarts? Mom is a fairly "down to earth" fashion conscious, upwardly mobile professional type.

Ingrid
10-31-2005, 11:06 PM
Crayons strikes me as the one that could go either way. It's brighter, too.

rebecca
10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
I happen to have some Crayons, Vineyard & Autumn on hand; from looking at these 3 in person...I agree with Ingrid. Although, I really like Sweet Tarts and would have gotten it, but they were sold out. I think Sweet Tarts or Crayons. How about this...have u any idea how she is decorating the nursery...primary or pastel colors?! If she is going with primary I think she would like the Crayons and if she's decorating with pastels I think she would like the Sweet Tarts..... :?? ....what's your thought on that approach?!

brendajos
10-31-2005, 11:21 PM
crayons crayons crayons!!!

(have i ever mentioned that i love bright colors?)

rebecca
10-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Oh, I love brights, too!! They are bright, too...I love the yarn...it's sitting in my big box o' sock yarn waiting on me & the Sock Sabbatical which comes after the long project list is complete. I was just having sock yarn fun when I opened that big box to feel that yarn for KK......ahhhhh, yarn ecstasy :heart:

KellyK
11-01-2005, 12:50 AM
Looks like she has Winnie the Pooh (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00012BSDU/ref=dp_product-image-only_0/103-6317446-8205451?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=540744&s=baby) stuff on her registry.... I think that's somewhere in BETWEEN primary and pastel. :??

Maybe Sunset matches that set best???

brendajos
11-01-2005, 12:59 AM
i think sweet tarts matches that set pretty well.

KellyK
11-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Yeah...I think you're right...I also emailed her sister to ask about room colors. Although, who says the hat & booties have to match the room? IM SOOOOO CONFUUUUUSED!! :(

brendajos
11-01-2005, 01:07 AM
wellllllllllll ya know if the hat and booties match the room the baby could get lost! ;) baby camouflage ya know! :D

i don't that the hat and booties needs to match anything but each other.

KellyK
11-01-2005, 01:24 AM
THIS BOOTIE PATTERN (http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/my_pages/babywear/hkp/010.shtml) will be cute with stripey yarn, wont it?

brendajos
11-01-2005, 02:31 AM
sure....what about this one? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1998&highlight=baby+booties) ;)

KellyK
11-01-2005, 08:15 AM
That's cute, too! YAYYYY!!! More options choices and confusion!!!! :cheering:

:roflhard:

KellyK
11-01-2005, 09:09 AM
That's cute, too! YAYYYY!!! More options choices and confusion!!!! :cheering:

:roflhard:

OK - I finally made a decision & went with the crayon. Im thinking that she may receive more outfits that will go with those colors.

rebecca
11-01-2005, 09:26 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I realllly love :heart: :heart: the crayon!!

KellyK
11-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks for bein you, Rebecca....

I also ordered some Storm for another little baby boy set for one of our Board members.....

rebecca
11-01-2005, 12:23 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: U so funny, KK....I wub u ;)
AND....I have Storm....it's in the handy dandy Box O Sock Yarn, too...all patiently waiting for me to finish my long project list and then take the very long Sock Sabbatical :happydance: :happydance:

KellyK
11-01-2005, 01:06 PM
You've been TALKIN about that sock sabbatical for a LONG LONG time, friend! When are ya gonna just DO it?? :rofling:

foldedbird
11-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I think she has to escape from the retirement home first... :rofling:

rebecca
11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
After I kick Denise's butt :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

I started to have my Sock Sabbatical and then I got side-tracked with the Dulaan Cable ensemble and now I have just decided that I would be best served to complete my project list that I have had forever & not done for me & Lonnie bc I was knitting for others. So, I am taking (probably until 1st of the year) to complete these things and when I have nothing else calling out to me...I'm going to kick back and go SOCK WILD... ;) ....after I kick Denise's butt

foldedbird
11-01-2005, 03:08 PM
HA! I'll knock your sorry behind into next week!

rebecca
11-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Girl, remember, I've been on & off crutches for over 20 years, we can walk side by side and I can take you out with a crutch and keep going and u would never know what hit ya.....bc that nice lady with crutches certainly would never swipe your legs out from under you :angelgrin: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

I would never do that because I :heart: WUB :heart: u, too ;)

KellyK
11-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Watch out, Deni....she's like a crutch NINJA!!

rebecca
11-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Watch out, Deni....she's like a crutch NINJA!!

:roflhard: :rofling: I'll have to run that one by Lonnie :roflhard: :rofling:

foldedbird
11-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Good thing most ninja moves only use one leg...

rebecca
11-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Good thing most ninja moves only use one leg...

:roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: Girl, I've now got tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard!!!...that was a good one :rofling: :roflhard: :roflhard:

foldedbird
11-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Why thank you...doh my one key is broken...no exclimation points for me...ARGH.

rebecca
11-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Let's just say I was impressed! You sound like a member of the family! People that are not in my family or close friends think that my family is mean & cruel bc they say things like that...(which is HILARIOUS, by the way, truly one to remember). My nephew & his best friend call me 'DeadLeg' bc I have had bone grafts done on my femur....from cadaver bone.....that really causes some curious looks at church :rofling: :roflhard: when in the middle of conversation about setting the sound Chris will call me Aunt Dead Leg & Jeremy (best friend) will say, DeadLeg said to set it like...so & so, etc...it's really quite funny :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

foldedbird
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
lolol my family is the same...new friends of the family often look shocked when they first meet us. but, within a few minutes they're joking right a long with us. it's great. :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Gotta be able to laugh at stuff. If you can't change it--embrace it!

knitqueen
11-01-2005, 11:28 PM
A silly question for you..... :thinking:

Since it's a double knit hat and therefore reversible, have you considered doing TWO of the simple stripes yarns, one for the outside and one for the inside???

KellyK
11-01-2005, 11:33 PM
I had considered doing stripes on the outside and solid on the inside, but none of the "Essential" colors were as BRIGHT as the Simple Stripes colors.....

Rebecca....I have developed the most AWFUL sense of humor working where I work. And, Ingy's right...sometimes if ya dont laugh, you'll CRY, so I choose the former!

rebecca
11-02-2005, 04:41 AM
Oh my, yes....you must laugh! Laughter is the best medicine! This is something that I will have for the rest of my life & have already dealt with since 1981....crying, yeah I do my share of it, can't help it sometimes...but laughter is the only way to go & is lots more fun :D . One must not allow such things to get you down (happens some times, it's inevitable), I mean to say keep you down, I think...laughing is far better & dealing with such adversity with a sense of humor and thankful that I have others to do the same with me is the only way to go and a wonderful blessing ;)

Lacedolphin
11-03-2005, 07:49 AM
From someone who stressed herself into a "mini- stroke" 3 weeks ago, dealing with it and going on is definatly the best medicine. I have no physical results, but my short term memory and confusion are seriously effected. I did my few days of crying and havn't looked back.

Now I'm known as scatter brains in the house :lol: :roflhard:

But I can say I seriously changed on how I deal with stress and know when to find a corner and hide now. If I start feeling anxiety or panicky, I drop everything, I don't care what it is, hit the couch and knit or take a nap.

A word from the wise, don't let yourself be to stressed all the time, it WILL eventually come and bite you in the hiney when you are not looking!!!

KellyK
11-03-2005, 08:41 AM
:heart: HUGE HUGS, Lacedolphin!! :heart:

Hiney is a funny word. :shifty:

rebecca
11-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Lacedolphin, I don't know how long you have been knitting but I do know that it helps me a GREAT DEAL in dealing with this disability that I've been battling for years! I began knitting about a year and 1/2 ago and it really helps with the stress as well as keeping my mind off of the pain. AND, if you ever feel overwhelmed and/or stressed...you have friends here that you can talk to, please feel free to email or pm me at any time ;) You will find since you have joined the forum that we are not your average knitting forum .... we are a big ole' extended, often crazy knitting family...happy to have you as a part of it :D

Lacedolphin
11-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks huns :heart: I'm ok except I wanna try DPN's if I can talk my checkbook into it! lol :pray: