PDA

View Full Version : Selp striping question...

Jan in CA
11-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I think this yarn look so neat, but it's usually on socks which it'll be awhile before I can do. Does it work on hats? On scarves? How far apart are the color stripes? I mean if you knit something large it's not going to stripe properly right? :thinking: Oh and also... is all self striping wool or a wool blend?

KellyK
11-01-2005, 12:14 PM
I just found a self-striping baby hat pattern (http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=6024)that I am planning on making for two friends' babies...Jody has made all kinds of scarves with self-patterning yarn. Knitpicks has a GREAT pattern for a baby cardigan (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50405220&yarnid=5420113).

Knitpicks has several wool self-stripers ("Simple Stripes"), one superwash and others merino (handwash). They also have a Cotton blend ("Dancing"), but I dont think it STRIPES as much as forms color blobs.

rebecca
11-01-2005, 12:17 PM
I've used self-striping on hats and scarves. The yarn that I used was a wool blend. Depending upon the yarn & how it's dyed will give you more of a hint as to the spacing between the stripes, I would think. I found a picture of this hat (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/A%20look%20at%20some%20of%20my%201st%20Knitting/IM000231.jpg) that I made last year using Lionbrand Magic Stripes (http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/magicStripes.htm). I'm afraid that I don't have a picture of the scarf that I did...look around you can often find pictures of the yarn knitted up as different items on the manufacturer's website. ;)

knitqueen
11-01-2005, 01:16 PM
If the self-striping yarn, when used for socks, makes fairly wide stripes, if you use the same yarn on a hat the stripes would just be narrower. This is because the cast on # of stitches for a hat is quite a bit more than the cast on for a pair of socks. Even if you used it for an even larger item than a hat, it would still come out great. It would be a unique item which is always a good thing!

I love self-striping yarn because then of course you don't have to switch yarns to get the same effect.

susies1955
11-01-2005, 01:59 PM
It is funny how this subject would come up. I just got back from class and I saw that self stripping yarn and asked about it. I told her to plan on setting me up next class to make the socks.
Jan, how about we try this together. I'm only a month old and I'm going to give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen? :)
Susie

rebecca
11-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Socks are a breeze, girls!! Ya'll will :heart: LOVE :heart: it!!!! Sock knitting is soooo much fun and you can do most ANYTHING with socks....OMGoodness, I have so many sock patterns running thru my head, but...alas, they must wait for the Sock Sabbatical which occurs after I finish my current project list :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :happydance:
Actually the yarn that I used on the hat that I posted has the same stripe thickness with both socks and the hat; it's the way that it's dyed, different color every so many inches over x amt of yards & it's somehow has the ability to achieve the same continuity of thickness of stripe no matter the size of the project....just referencing this Lionbrand Magic Stripe bc it's the only one that I've done a hat and socks in...stripes were the same ;)

Jan in CA
11-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies! The thing I was thinking was that since the stripe appears to go ALL the way around a sock it wouldn't be able to all the way around a hat and it might look odd? Dunno, have to give it a try I guess.

That are cute hats, Rebecca and KellyK!

Jan, how about we try this together. I'm only a month old and I'm going to give it a whirl. What's the worst that could happen? Smiling
Susie

Give socks a try together?! :shock: I've only been doing this for a little over a month, too. Not sure I'm ready for socks... these guys say they are easy, but... :?? If someone has an EASY pattern and can handle a bazillion questions I may give it a try.. I was actually thinking what a pretty scarf the magic stripes would be! ;)

susies1955
11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey Jan,
When did you actually start. My start date is the 1st of October. We may be twins. :)
You can do it. Like I said I'm doing a sweater already. I did a hat on circulars, another hat on double pointed needles and now I AM going to do socks. Well, she will get me started when I got back in two weeks so you've got two weeks to get ready. :)
Susie

knitqueen
11-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies! The thing I was thinking was that since the stripe appears to go ALL the way around a sock it wouldn't be able to all the way around a hat and it might look odd? Dunno, have to give it a try I guess.

The cool thing about self-striping yarn is that it gives a different effect no matter what you're using it for, depending on the # of stitches cast on. The stripes might not make it all the way around a larger project, but the pattern of the stripes will likely be consistent (for example, the stuff I'm using right now has a pattern of green strip, black/white jacquard stripe, blue stripe, black/white stripe, turquoise stripe, black/white stripe, etc.) so it will look good no matter what.

Just give it a try and I'm sure you'll love it!

Jan in CA
11-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Hey Jan,
When did you actually start. My start date is the 1st of October. We may be twins. :)
You can do it. Like I said I'm doing a sweater already. I did a hat on circulars, another hat on double pointed needles and now I AM going to do socks. Well, she will get me started when I got back in two weeks so you've got two weeks to get ready. :)
Susie

Holy cow! I am taking a class, but it's apparently NOTHING like yours! I learned to knit, purl, cast on and bind off and that's about it. She's has shown us lots of things she's made, but nothing for the group to make other than some crocheted stuff for that part of the class. I"m thinking of taking the knitting class at the community college next semester. Since it's at the college I figure it'll be more structured. I started on September 16th so you are WAY ahead of me. All I've done are scarves and dishcloths. :lol:

Okay, I have to get some stripey yarn and do something with it anyway!

susies1955
11-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Jan,
The gals at this yarn shop really encourage us right from the get go to do things out of our comfort box. I did a half hour of knitting and she had me doing that hat on circulars. I almost fainted when she suggested I do a hat after just a half hour. Now there is frustration for sure but through the mistakes and working it through I've learned a lot.
I ask here and get an answer literally within minutes and I have books and the videos are awesome.
I think the yarn shop really knows what they are doing because that hat I did was big yarn, big needles and done quickly so it made me hungry for more and to the yarn shop owners delight as every time I went I was buying more yarn and more needles. LOL.
Let me know what pattern you decided on, "IF" you decide to make socks,
Susie

Lacedolphin
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm a fairly new knitter too. :waving: Even though I've had no classes and taught myself from Amy's videos and a book. Right now I'm working on an afghan using blocks to teach me different stitches. :X: My next hill is also socks and dpn's. :oo: :?? Maybe we can make -up a beginners sock group?? That way we can all frog together! :frog: :roflhard:

susies1955
11-01-2005, 09:42 PM
All frog together eh? LOL. You are too funny.
That is great to do blocks like that. I had thought of doing tons of different dish cloths to learn all the stitches and stuff.
Nice to meet you.
You going to do a self-stripping sock???????????? HUM????????? :)
Susie

SoapDoc
11-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Give socks a try together?! :shock: I've only been doing this for a little over a month, too. Not sure I'm ready for socks...

Sure you are! I did socks less than a month in to my first stitch with the help of Silver's fantastic tutorial...and if I can do it, you can do it too, believe me! You can find at the link below, and if you can knit and purl, you can make socks with this site and Silver's help....I promise!

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm

Jan in CA
11-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Ohhhh that's awesome, SoapDoc! (Are you a soap doc??) Anyway, I am looking for something for the November challenge so this might be perfect. I don't have any relatives or friends who knit so I'm on my own pretty much other than you all so I thank you all!