PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge: November

Pages : 1 [2]

Andrea
11-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Hildie, how were you able to capture that yawn??you must have had the camera ready!

Here is the start of my sock--since I finally can post pics after 2 months (thanks hubby wubby)

punkhippiemom
11-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Oooh, like the yarn - knitpicks??

rebecca
11-13-2005, 04:53 PM
:cheering: :cheering: WTG Hilde with ya dk :cheering: :cheering:
Andrea... :D very nice sock progress :notworthy: looking good

Andrea
11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
The yarn label is in German, but looking at the tag, I think it's called Opal and I think the color is Lollipop

I got it at a yarn shop in Richmond near my house...

KellyK
11-13-2005, 05:02 PM
LOVE the colors! It looks GREAT!

Thanks, Mr. Andrea!!

CateKnits
11-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I have some Opal, too! I keep wondering what the label says :oops: I went to the website, hoping it could give me English washing directions, and no. It says 40 degrees, which I'm sure is Celsius...so that's somewhere around 80 in F? Maybe? :oo: Mine is Flamingo colored. :D I'm making tiny ankle socks, though, so I'm excited about your long ones.
I can't wait to see them when they're finished!

Andrea
11-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Here's the Opal (http://www.ptyarn.com/opalsamples.html)site

Ingrid
11-13-2005, 05:49 PM
http://www.knitlist.com/labels.htm

This can help.

CateKnits
11-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Hooray! Thanks :D

Jazzmatazz
11-13-2005, 06:21 PM
And, Jazz....its all about the gauge....two strands is going to give you fewer sts per inch than one strand. If you knit the same sock with one strand on the needle size that's called for, you are going to end up with a little bitty (and thin) sock.

Thanks, Kelly. I hadn't thought about the gauge (but then I hate thinking about gauge, I don't even have a rain gauge.)

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 12:19 AM
So, I tried following everyone's advice for ripping back the ChicKami. All was going well until I tangled up the yarn that I ripped back. I do plan on untangling it and giving the tank another go, but not just yet. I fear I might take my cigarette lighter to the yarn and torch it!

In the meantime, I've finally wondered back to a project idea that was kicking around in my head a long, long time ago. That Margaret Nicole rip-off bag. I've done a swatch for it, next I'll be writing up the pattern and casting it on.

D
11-14-2005, 03:01 AM
In the meantime, I've finally wondered back to a project idea that was kicking around in my head a long, long time ago. That Margaret Nicole rip-off bag. I've done a swatch for it, next I'll be writing up the pattern and casting it on.

This from someone who just told me bags were evil! :lol:

Almost done the handle on my bag:) It'll be finished in a few minutes. :XX:

humblestumble
11-14-2005, 03:02 AM
wooohoo! And, oh no! I hate tangled yarn!

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 03:06 AM
I just told you that so you'd knit socks! Thx for the moral support, yall.

D
11-14-2005, 03:56 AM
I'm kidding with ya!
Tangled yarn is just.. ugh. I spent a week untangling yarn, while I was working on my scarf. And it was tangled and knotted from the INSIDE of the skein. I nearly went ballistic too many times, let me tell you, patience is important when untangling yarn! Good luck!

hedgehog
11-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Well, thought i'd check in...

The DNA scarf is moving along, albeit slowly....

I'm in the 4th repeat section after doing a little each day over the weekend. When i say a little, i mean a little... For some reason i can't sit down and flat out knit for the long haul with this one like i have been able to with previous projects. I dunno.. perhaps it's because it takes so much concentration ;)

But i've geared up for ANOTHER first for the month... I'm going to be making MaryElla (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTmaryella.html) bracelets for my sister and aunt as Christmas pressies. I've never knit with beads before, or double pointed needles, or DMC thread instead of yarn. So again, a bunch of firsts.

I'm going to do two for my sister - one with Ecru thread and some beautiful beads that are shiny aquamarine/turquoise and another that is red thread with shiny red beads (her favorite color). I might make that one thinner.

And for my aunt - Ecru thread with these fabulously shiny charcoal greyish/black beads to match a necklace i'm making for her.

I just ordered my 0000 needles from EarthFaire (http://earthfaire.com/index.php?osCsid=cf5da4757f536bd085de89c52feec474) so once they come in i'm ready to go. Oh, incidentally, for those interested, they have a bunch of beaded knitting patterns, including kits for making MaryElla (http://earthfaire.com/product_info.php?products_id=447&osCsid=cf5da4757f536bd085de89c52feec474) and other beaded accessories (http://earthfaire.com/index.php?cPath=30_95&osCsid=cf5da4757f536bd085de89c52feec474).

I can't wait to start this project!! :happydance: (oh, and to finish my DNA scarf too.. but it's not a Christmas pressie so it might just have to be put aside to make way for the timely stuff!!)

-hh

mintdee
11-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Well I am starting another first. Cables! I am knitting the Irish Hiking scarf on circs. First time with the circs as well. I am not liking these edges though. *sigh*

Hedge I love thoes bracelets! I am thinking that I am going to have to get me some stuff to try it out. There are a few ladies in my family that would love to have something like that. I can not wait to see yours :)

D- I look forward to seeing how your bag turns out. I love bags :) Sorry to hear about your tangled mess.

KellyK
11-14-2005, 01:29 PM
SANDRA, it looks BEAUTIFUL!!!! LOVE that color! What yarn are you using?

If YOU dont like the edges, you could try slipping the first st of each row as if to knit. I think they look fine, but some people prefer the neater edge you get with slipping sts.

rebecca
11-14-2005, 01:52 PM
mintdee...cool cabling...very nice :thumbsup:
Denise, If u don't want to write a pattern for the Margaret Nicole I have a pattern already. You can find it @ Yarnunivierse, it's entitled cable purse (http://www.yarniverse.com/page.htm?PG=FreePatterns), just scroll down the page & look for the name bc the pictures change on the purse ;) ... :( sorry about the :frog:

Okay, I have a pic of day one of my clapotis and day 4; today I will begin the decreasing...but...I AN GOING TO RUN OUT OF YARN :doh: ...but I did order some Fri. for a hat & gloves...so all is not lost, it just won't be here by the time I need it, which will drive me nuts, but I will live ;) ... :roflhard:

Day one:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000453.jpg

End of day 4 (last night ;) ):
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000465.jpg

amy
11-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Rebecca, clapotis is coming along nicely!

WOW, all of these great projects! CATE, congrats on your first socks, those are certainly nicer than my first pair! :cheering: Ditto Kelly!!

Ooh, Andrea, I love that Opal yarn. :inlove: Lookin' great!

Knitqueen, nice socks!

(Hey Hildie, maybe we should just call Nov. the sock KAL! :lol:)

Hildie, congrats on double knitting! It's pretty wild to do, dontcha think? WTG!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey Hildie, maybe we should just call Nov. the sock KAL! :lol:
Well, I was going to do "make a stocking (or sock) to hang by the chimney" for december, but I might have to come up with another topic, now!!!!!

Hedge those bracelts look cool... but the #000000000000000 DPNs you need do NOT.

Great Cables mintD :-)

Rebecca, I couldn't see your pics because I'm at school, but I'm sure they'e great :-)

mintdee
11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Rebecca its beautiful!! :inlove:

KK I am using Knit Picks Decadance. Such wonderful yarn to work with soooo soft.

DotMom61
11-14-2005, 02:26 PM
http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/310.gif I want to knit sooooooocccccckkkkkkkssssss.

{going off to work on row # umpty-eleventh on this never-ending Pie Are Square shawl ... only 30 million to go.}

mintdee
11-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Awwww we need a hug emoticon!

Julie
11-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Juuulieee....knit a Christmas stocking!! Surely you need one of those for someone! :D

punkhippiemom
11-14-2005, 02:46 PM
LOL Dotmom - I want to do the Flickering Flames skirt from elann.com (http://www.elann.com), but I'm afraid I'll feel the same way about halfway through :help:...

Rebecca - I have been drooling over that clapotis for a while now, I loooove the Karaoke yarn...
And, I got my mail today... what do you think they're featuring in the new issue of Creative Knitting??
?
?
That's right, SWTC yarn.... :verysad: They have this beautiful bell sleeved sweater made in a sort of raspberry colored Karaoke....I'm going to have to get a job to support my good taste in yarn ;)

Julie
11-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Okay, my last first for the month, I think....I've really got to get on this Christmas stuff!

My first attempt at stranding...of course, LAME, the yarn doesn not show the pattern at all. I tell you, I really liked this yarn when I got it, but it has been impossible finding a project for it. That's what I get..... :doh: I'm quite glad to have used it up on this stocking.

I tried the method where you do one color conti and the other color English...would have been great if I were not such a crappy English knitter. The tension was soooo wonky. Oh well, live and learn....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/stocking.jpg

Andrea
11-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Cute Julie!!! :cheering:

Danielle
11-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Here's another first for me...cables! :happydance:

KellyK
11-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Oh, Jul...I think its CUTE!!

GREAT cables, YVWB!!

Andrea
11-14-2005, 10:48 PM
What is the yarn in the bottom picture? It's really pretty!! :inlove:

punkhippiemom
11-14-2005, 11:06 PM
I agree, cute lil stocking :thumbsup: - and I think the cables look great, vwbug....very even, mine were pulling all over the place the first time I tried. :rollseyes:

Danielle
11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks! :blush:
Andrea,
The yarn is called 'Marble'. It can be seen here (http://www.yarnfwd.com/marble.html). I'm using color MT2. I got it at AC Moore. :D

Andrea
11-14-2005, 11:30 PM
AC Moore is a store near you I take it...I like it MUY MUCHO

I may have to shop online and pick me up some!!

foldedbird
11-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Great stocking!

VW, I'm *loving* your cables!!!

Good job everyone!

Jan in CA
11-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Yeah! I learned something new! I learned to make cables last night. It's just a little swatch, but it was way easier than I thought it was going to be! Some of the stitches are a little wonky and the edges curled, but you can see them okay. I just followed how to do it in an online instruction from Knitting for Dummies.

foldedbird
11-15-2005, 02:17 PM
WTG, Jan! That's a lovely cable you have there!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-15-2005, 03:06 PM
nice jan!!!!!!

CateKnits
11-15-2005, 03:06 PM
Yay, everyone! :happydance: I think this is becoming the Socks-or-Cables KAL. :D
November is half over. :o Everyone who hasn't tried socks yet, should. ;) Hehehe.

punkhippiemom
11-15-2005, 05:05 PM
:blush: <--- bought sock yarn today...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-15-2005, 07:25 PM
I am *so glad* that this KAL has taken off so well! "knit a first" might become a november tradtition!

I'm starting a fair isle hat tomorrow--with 4 colors!--- or as soon as the yarn from knitpicks arrives (yes, I did just get some, but I ordered more!)

KellyK
11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
I also made little baby mittens...without a pattern!

Ill post pics as soon as the hat is done...tonight or tomorrow!

humblestumble
11-15-2005, 09:06 PM
:oo: I gotta go finish my boyfriend's socks

Great cable Jan! :happydance:

humblestumble
11-16-2005, 03:01 AM
I'm nearly done! I just need to cut and weave in the tail ends! Hurray! :cheering: I started these a little before Nov, but I'll say that these are first socks, and I finished them in November ;)

foldedbird
11-16-2005, 03:30 AM
WTG Angela!

humblestumble
11-16-2005, 05:00 AM

MaryS
11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
My "first" for November was designing (instead of modifying) my first pattern.

It's an oval table runner / centerpiece / placemat type thingy for my secretary for Xmas.

It's in Sugar'N Cream color buttercream. It's an oval with five 'spokes' of lacey increases at each end to create the oval, and the center woven together. I started from the middle and worked out on an ever-increasingly large circular needle. Thank goodness for Denise's that you can keep on adding pieces to whenever things get too big!!!

The finished product (sorry - no camera) is 13 inches across and 21 inches long. I blocked it so the edge doesn't curl, and I'm proud of my first original design. (I'd done a round table centerpiece before, but I really needed to think about the logistics of getting a nice oval.)

I had enough yarn left over to do four round coasters / trivets to match!

Now it's back to clogs, hats, scarves, and sweaters for Xmas. :shock: (Christmas is only 40 days away). :shock: :shock:

Better keep on :XX: :XX: :XX:

KK, can I borrow a couple of your octopus arms :?? or some of your knitting residents :thinking: :rofling: .

Mary

Jan in CA
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Mary that sounds gorgeous! You've got to get a camera so you can show us! ;)

punkhippiemom
11-16-2005, 01:36 PM
:crying:
What a tease....
That sounds soooooooooo cool....
:thinking: :figureditout: You should write up the pattern and post it on the free patterns page, so it can get linked to knittingpatterncentral.com and you'll be famous like Kelly!!!

KellyK
11-16-2005, 02:04 PM
MARY YOU GO GET A CAMERA RIGHT NOW!!!! :mad:
:heart: :heart: :heart:

It sounds SO cool! I LOVE knitting lacey things....I wonder if Ill ever have the inspiration to design my own??

humblestumble
11-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Oh wow MaryS! Can't wait to see! I have loads of ideas but haven't made them yet...

Maybe we should make an idea thread somewhere like " I may never make this, but you can try?" lol.

MaryS
11-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks everyone!

A camera is the FIRST thing on my Christmas list - even above yarn and knitting books! If (when) I get it you'll all be flooded with pictures!

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

Jazzmatazz
11-16-2005, 08:08 PM
I got my sock yarn and eensy weensy DPNs from Knitpicks, and I have a couple of inches of the cuff done. I just hope the thing will go around my ankle, it looks kind of tiny. Silver's tutorial didn't mention gauge as far as I have noticed, so I guess I have to hope for stretchy socks.

rebecca
11-16-2005, 08:52 PM
Julie-very cool stocking :D
VWbug-nice looking cables :thumbsup:
Jan-WTG with cabling!
Angela, WTG on the socks!
Mary-u must get a camera!
Jazz-keep up the good sock work

Great 1st's everybody :cheering: :cheering:

Okay, major 1st for me...well, 2, but no photos. Everyone knows I'm a monogamous knitter, it's well known, start a project, finish it before beginning another. Well...I ran out of yarn Sun on my clapotis :shock: , had I not run out of yarn I would have been done & on my way with the hat or gloves :( ! But I had already ordered extra fyarn for the matching hat & gloves, it should have been here Monday, so it was okay, Monday I practiced knitting 2 small diameter circulars on 2 circs (for my gloves)...that's another 1st for me this month..YAY...AND....drum roll, please be seated bc you will be :shock: shocked. I, me, Becka, the monogamous knitter, will for the 1st time cast on another project with one already on the needles..I am about to go forth & cast on Backyard Leaves scarf & begin it & be all interested in it AND THEN MY OTHER YARN WILL ARRIVE of course, I will then have to finish the clapotis & matching accessories, while wanting to be doing the Backyard Leaves scarf! But..I must cast on for this scarf bc I MUST :XX: ...because I am....addicted to the knit ;)
EDIT I almost forgot...Backyard Leaves will be my 1st chart work...bc I hate knitting by chart, I usually will rewrite the pattern bc I hate chart work (did I say that?!)...well, I have chart in hand & am ready for my 1st ever knitting by chart! I'm a world of 1st's this month!!....As is EVERYBODY :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
11-16-2005, 11:43 PM
These are not my first socks or hat, but the mitts are the first ones Ive ever made without a pattern!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/crayon_set2.jpg

foldedbird
11-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Cuuuute!

DotMom61
11-16-2005, 11:45 PM
What cool projects!!! Julie -- your little stocking is adorable, and I think the pattern looks great!

The cables & other socks all look fabulous, too!!!

AND .... I could stand it no longer ... I started a sock today! I woke up feeling somewhat miserable. I think I caught DS's cold, and since I was just going to be sitting around supervising school work all day, I decided it would be the perfect day to pull up Silver's tutorial & start a sock. I now have about 3-1/2" of the cuff done!! Yippee!

Historical Note: I just happened to have some ancient baby yarn sitting around, too. This yarn is at least 27 years old. My grandmother, who passed away in 1978, left it for my mom, who never used it. When I started knitting, she boxed up all the old yarn & sent it to me. It's Caron CuddleSoft. It doesn't list the yardage on the label, but it's 1.75 oz, and it has a price tage for $1.32 on it from Hobby Lobby.

DotMom61
11-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Kelly -- You posted those right before I posted -- they're sooo cute!!! I can't believe how fast you knit, woman. Sheesh!!!

And what is the yarn??? It's really cool ... I like the speckly stuff in the yellow.

KellyK
11-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks, Deni and Jul!!

That's KPs Simple Stripes in Crayon.

foldedbird
11-16-2005, 11:57 PM
YW!!! Reminds me that I need to plan a project for my kids for Christmas!

margie
11-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Okay, I have totally fallen behind on this thread. I said in the beginning of the month that I was going to try kntting socks- NOT. :(

I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to DPN's, I am a hopeless case. I have tried numerous times, but can't seem to get it. Everyone says "If you can make it through the first couple of rounds, you've got it"- but I can't make it through the first couple of rounds!! I've tried Silver's sock class, and still can't figure it out. I think I need to sit down with someone and have them show me face to face. One of the women in my knitting group has offered to help me- but I won't see her until next Tuesday at the earliest, possibly the week after that. Soooooooo.............I won't be doing socks for this month's KAL. Instead, I have started a hat for my dad for Christmas. I've never knitted a hat before! I am using Bernat denimstyle. It is the pattern on the label. I've gotten about 7 inches done so far- I've got to get to 11, and then I start decreasing.

KellyK
11-17-2005, 01:32 PM
(um....Margie.....hats need DPNs too :doh: )

Julie
11-17-2005, 01:58 PM
Margie, just use two circs instead of DPNs! It's a piece of cake! :D

Jan in CA
11-17-2005, 01:58 PM
(um....Margie.....hats need DPNs too :doh: )

Can't you use magic loop method or two circs? I'm planning on give them a try before using DPNs if necessary. I didn't have a good experience with them either. :rollseyes:

margie
11-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Kelly, this pattern doesn't call for dpn's. You knit it on straight needles, then decrease, and then seam the back.

Julie, I just ordered Cat Bordhi's book "socks soar on two circular needles" today, from knitpicks!! I'm hoping to master dpn's eventually, but I also hope that I'll be able to knit socks with circs, too. :D

DotMom61
11-17-2005, 02:13 PM
I am so excited about my sock, that I just had to put up a picture :-D

Here it is right after starting the heel flap:

http://static.flickr.com/27/64241077_a2fbf80122.jpg

And now I must go ... I promised the kids an afternoon @ the library.

Jan in CA
11-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Kelly, this pattern doesn't call for dpn's. You knit it on straight needles, then decrease, and then seam the back.

Julie, I just ordered Cat Bordhi's book "socks soar on two circular needles" today, from knitpicks!! I'm hoping to master dpn's eventually, but I also hope that I'll be able to knit socks with circs, too. :D

Ohhh I see, my hat is seamless so I'm going to attempt the circs with it when It gets small.

That book sounds good! I might have to get that, too!

margie
11-17-2005, 06:11 PM
I finished my hat!! :happydance: Once I finished the 11 inches of k2 p2 ribbing, it went so fast. The picture isn't that great- the hat is on my son's halloween bucket.

D
11-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Margie, that looks GREAT!

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Margie, that hat looks downright PERFECT!

hedgehog
11-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Harumph! :mad: I have had everything to start that MaryElla bracelet for my sister and aunt for a week now and i'm still waiting for my darn 0000oooooblivion needles to arrive!! *pout*

They shipped out earlier this week but i'm feeling incredibly impatient!! *stampy foot noise* :roflhard: I think i'm channelling Veruca Salt this week! :roflhard: hmmmm.... :??

The DNA scarf is still being worked on but since it's not a Christmas pressie i haven't been working on it with any vigor. I've started making facecloths (which we know to be dishcloths...shhh!!!) for a friend's present and of course it's just zipping along.

But i have an order from Knitpicks for which i've been waiting FOREVER, my needle order, and another order from a bead shop for a necklace i'm going to make for my aunt.

It's coming, this i know... "BUT I WANT IT NOOOOWWWW!!!!" *stampy foot noise* :mad:

The anticipation is killing me.
-hh

Debbie
11-18-2005, 07:18 PM
This is the first time I ever knitted anything brown .... you can't see the turkey very well ... but he is there :)

Andrea
11-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Cute Debbie!!

Where might I find that pattern?? That is really cute!!! :D

margie
11-18-2005, 11:05 PM
I can see the turkey!! Looks good, debbie! :thumbsup:

rebecca
11-19-2005, 12:54 AM
I've said it before...I say it again...I SO LOVE THIS KAL!!!
I just :heart: :inlove: :heart: everyone's work...we have creative geniuses among us :cheering: :cheering: !

This is my 3rd finished 1st....I did Tychus (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000391.jpg) from Knitty for :inlove: Lonnie :inlove: . Then I knitted the hat (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000436.jpg) to match my Branching Out scarf (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000373.jpg) which I wasn't happy with until I appliqued the leaves on (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000432.jpg), which was a 1st for me ;)
Now I have completed my clapotis in a record :shock: 5 days (LOL, bc it's easy!) which is my 1st project with intentional dropped sts!

Here we have photos of the unblocked clapotis that I finished earlier this evening :D
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000499.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000496.jpg

CateKnits
11-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Ohhhh, that's GORGEOUS, Rebecca! :shock:

KellyK
11-19-2005, 03:41 AM
GAWGEOUS!!!!!!!!

margie
11-19-2005, 09:25 AM
:heart: LOVE IT, Rebecca!! That is beautiful!!

mintdee
11-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Soooo pretty! :inlove: That yarn you chose adds to the beauty so much!

Ingrid
11-19-2005, 11:12 AM
I can't think of a word to express how pretty that is!!!

What color is that yarn? I was looking at it yesterday, and it is pricey, but is just too gorgeous!!!!

foldedbird
11-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Becca, I *SO* want your clapotis! Can I have it??? Puhlease? Swap ya for 5 sets of stitch markers... :roflhard:

All kidding aside, what yarn did you use?

rebecca
11-19-2005, 02:00 PM
Denise I love ya but.. :thinking: ..NO! :roflhard: :rofling: I am so glad that ya like it, tho ;)
Thanks everyone :D , you are so sweet & sure know how to make a girl feel good ;) !
Ingrid, yes, it's my 'treat' yarn, I can't afford it often...but it sure it purdy ;) ! It's South West Trading Company's Karaoke yarn 50/50 wool/soysilk. This is the Mermaid Mix colorway. Should anyone be looking for it, I recommend shopping with the girls @ www.kpixie.com they have the least expensive price for this yarn that I have found AND you get an additional 10% off after signing up for their newsletter AND to top it all off you get most excellent service ;)

Thanks again everybody :D ...I'm off to cast on for the hat to match :thumbsup:

Julie
11-19-2005, 07:49 PM
It's beautiful, Rebecca! I can't wait to see the whole set. :D

Debbie
11-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Andrea here is the link to the turkey cloth pattern ... http://www.knittingknonsense.com/turkeycloth.html I used a small pony bead for the eye and Sugar & Cream brown yarn. I think a lighter brown/tan would show the turkey better. I am giving it to a volunteer at school that I am very thankful for :)

Andrea
11-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks! I will check that out!

humblestumble
11-21-2005, 01:17 AM
I started a hooded, zipper up cardigan - a first, and it has BOBBLES! Also a first for me :)

margie
11-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Cool, Angela!! That sounds like lots of firsts- hooded, zippered, cardigan, bobbles- are they all firsts? Way to go!! :thumbsup:

punkhippiemom
11-21-2005, 02:09 PM
I am loving the firsts!!! I think we do need to make this a yearly thing..
Here's another first for me, my first lace...ish :?? pattern...
I cast on and frogged this thing about thirty times trying to figure out which stitch pattern I liked the best -I was going to do 'Heart' from Knitty, but it was wider than I liked- and finally had to cut off almost a foot of yarn at the beginning because it got so frayed :oops: but finally, I have something kind of lacy. I used one ball of Lion Brand Jiffy, and the stitch pattern is called Horseshoe Print...

foldedbird
11-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Purdy, Becca!

rebecca
11-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Angela...those are some nice Bobbles! I thought I would never learn to do bobbles!!! Your's are GREAT!
PHM...I agree with the yearly idea :thumbsup: !! I love your lace scarf :heart: , very nice indeed ;)

okay, the hat to match clapotis is complete...my 1st ever dropped st hat!
"The Beginning"
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000506.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000507.jpg

"Clapotis, Hat & Me in the mirror"
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000509.jpg

Andrea
11-22-2005, 01:00 AM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

punkhippiemom
11-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Becca, you are a vision in Karaoke!!!
:inlove:

CarmenIbanez
11-22-2005, 12:37 PM
I just started an Afghan on Sunday. Never done a piece this big. I'm about 30 rows in and I already don't like the colors I chose. Is that a bad sign? I'm too far in start over. I'm just going to go for it and hope for the best.

mintdee
11-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Made My very first hat and did my first ever color change! :happydance:
I will take a better picture of it after my next class.

CateKnits
11-22-2005, 02:55 PM
I've frogged my first easy lace project three times already. :doh: I'm going to blame it on knitting at three in the morning, but I probably shouldn't. :D

I love the hats. :D I think hats are my favorite firsts because they're all so different.

aprildavis99
11-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I have started my first hat.. Cable Knit Cap .
I have played with cables before but I also tried doing this with the magic loop method. I don't think I like that method very much. I think I will just stick to DPNs. I may try the 2 circ method on another hat soon...maybe.

Funny how more "difficult" is easier for me...just like me to do everything the hard way :rollseyes:

knitqueen
11-22-2005, 09:37 PM
I have started my first hat.. Cable Knit Cap .
I have played with cables before but I also tried doing this with the magic loop method. I don't think I like that method very much. I think I will just stick to DPNs. I may try the 2 circ method on another hat soon...maybe.

Funny how more "difficult" is easier for me...just like me to do everything the hard way :rollseyes:

Just curious what length of circular needle you are using for magic loop??? I won't use anything shorter than a 40" circular for socks, and socks are much smaller projects than hats as far as # of stitches cast on. Perhaps you would like magic loop better if you had a reeeeeeeeeeally long circular.

aprildavis99
11-22-2005, 10:50 PM
I used a 40". I just did not enjoy it. For some strange reason I feel more comfortable with the DPNs. But at least I can say I tried it. I am still thinkging about trying socks with the 2 circs..and who knows, I may try the magic loop again some other time.

knitqueen
11-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Whatever works for you!! Like you said, at least you gave it a try. :thumbsup:

CateKnits
11-23-2005, 12:13 AM
My first "lace" project...It still needs to be blocked. I don't think I like it all that much, so I may not bother to block it. :rollseyes: It looks funny on my head. :lol:

KellyK
11-23-2005, 01:09 AM
GOOD JOB, Cate! Try blocking it...you may like it better.

Jan in CA
11-23-2005, 07:53 PM
A few more new things I did this month. A felt coaster..my first felted item, and the lace edge hat. The hat came out too small because I used a smaller needle, but it's all I had. My niece should like it though. I've been wanting to felt something so while waiting for my knitpicks order I picked up some wool locally and made this. My daughter loves pink so I think I'll give it to her. The yarn is called Moda Dea Cartwheel, but I can't find it on their website. :rollseyes:

foldedbird
11-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Kewl hat & coaster! Where's mine! Coool stocking stuffers!

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 09:34 PM
The hat looks great! Did you have to tug at your coaster to keep it square?

I see you've joined the avatar switcheroo! ;)

Now Denise--just because someone has something nice, it doesn't mean she has to share. Gimme, gimme, gimme, that's all I hear from you. :fingerwag:
It's worth a shot, though. Has it ever worked? :rofling:

foldedbird
11-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Hasn't worked YET, Ingie...hmm well yes it did! It worked on YOU! muwahahahaha.

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 09:50 PM
That was different! :fingerwag:

rebecca
11-23-2005, 10:05 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Everyone's work :D
Sandra, most excellent hat & color change...too cute model, too ;)
Cate, I'm sorry about the :frog: ...but, I think that your lace kerchief is just too cute & once u block it, u will :heart: it on your head ;)
April, WTG with the cables...keep up the good work!
Jan, girl, u know I love that hat...nice felting with your coaster..never thought of felting coasters..a very good idea!

Denise, will u give me some st markers? They are so loverly?! Thought I'd give it a try, too ;) :roflhard:

Jan in CA
11-23-2005, 10:32 PM
The hat looks great! Did you have to tug at your coaster to keep it square?

Heh, yeah I found a funny one to use. Is there a good place to find them? This was just from a smiley site.

As for tugging at the coaster.. I left it alone till it was felted then I rolled it in a towel and gave it a little tug here and there. It's still a little off, but what the hey, it's a coaster. :roflhard:

mintdee
11-23-2005, 11:37 PM
I am loving everyones stuff! You can't tell that this is you peoples first time doing these projects!! Love it all.

Denise, will u give me some st markers? They are so loverly?! Thought I'd give it a try, too ;) :roflhard:
I am totally trying to... You want to Give some to mintdee...You want to Give some to mintdee...You want to Give some to mintdee...You want to Give some to mintdee...

DotMom61
11-24-2005, 01:34 AM

Yeah ... that's been pretty funny ... I changed mine on a whim yesterday, and I logged on here this afternoon and everyone's had changed!! I love 'em all!!! (It's better than rearranging the furniture!)

Jan in CA
11-24-2005, 02:16 AM

Yeah ... that's been pretty funny ... I changed mine on a whim yesterday, and I logged on here this afternoon and everyone's had changed!! I love 'em all!!! (It's better than rearranging the furniture!)

And nothing to trip over in the dark! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

hedgehog
11-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Oh well...

I was kinda excited to join in a KAL but i guess i have to bow out. The DNA scarf is taking too long and the other things i had planned (such as the MaryElla bracelet) is being put off becuase my dang needles haven't arrived yet. I ordered them on the 14th (NOT Knitpicks who also haven't made good on my order with them) and they're still not here yet. And next week i go into full-blown end-of-semester grading mode.

Boo... hiss... November is not a good month for me and knitting apparently!

However, might i take this moment to say that i LOVE seeing everyone's stuff on this thread??!! ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS and a great topic!
WTG! :cheering:
-hh

Sara
11-25-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm working on my first ever pair of felted mittens, then I want to do my felted hat. Things looked great (I was on the second mitt) until I realized that on the first mitt I started the decrease for the finger section immediately after the thumb gusset--completely skipping TWENTY ROWS!! :doh: :doh: :doh:

So I finished the 2nd mitt, frogged back to the thumb gusset and I'm now trying to "refinish" the 1st one. AArggh!

SimplyKaar
11-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I am _finally_ able to add to this firsts-topic!! :thumbsup:

First first isn't very much knitting-related: first time in weeks that I've been able to stay connected to the internet for more than just a few seconds at a time: crappy provider!!! "we are working on it" she said, they have been for weeks though and sofar not too much has improved *sigh*

But, onto more positive things: I have finished knitting up my first set of baby-booties following the pattern posted here a while ago by, I think, knittingqueen?. It also included the first time I picked up stitches and it worked out really well! I originally intended to just do a practice bootie, but when it came out as well as it did, I knitted a mate for it in only a few hours. They still need to be sewn up though, which will be another first for me but that'll wait untill tomorrow after I had a good night sleep and when the light is better :)
They are going to be a gift so I want them to look their prettiest without horrible seams showing.

I will try to find wool for felted slippers either tomorrow or on Monday and see if I can make a pair for my SIL as a Christmas present. I have a month to get them done (we wont get together untill the 29th) and I won't felt them I think: it'll be a LOT more fun to watch her face when she pulls out HUGE slippers from the gift wrapper :roflhard:

Tomorrow,when I have daylight again, I'll take some pictures of my soon to be finished booties... btw: should I just crochet a drawstring or does anyone have a better idea?

added: almost forgot: I actually decided to try and get online again to find a, relatively simple pattern for a baby sweater. I've got quite a lot of yarn left with which I made the booties, I thought it would be fun to make a matching sweater aswell.
This will be a first too!

knitqueen
11-26-2005, 06:22 PM
YAY I'm so glad you were able to make use of the bootie pattern. Aren't they cute?? Can't wait to see the pictures! :D

SimplyKaar
11-26-2005, 06:24 PM
YAY I'm so glad you were able to make use of the bootie pattern. Aren't they cute?? Can't wait to see the pictures! :D

Oih sorry :oops: I misspelled your nick in the process :(

and yes they are cute!!! The pattern was really clear and I had no problems following it at all! At first I couldn't really see where it was going but I decided to take Ingrids advice and to just trust the pattern :)

MaryS
11-28-2005, 04:40 PM
My last "first" for November: first time doing a provisional caston.

I used the crochet chain method, then saw KK's tip to crochet the chain around your needle. I'll have to try this the next time - or get a bigger crochet hook! :rofling:

I'm doing KK's double knit hat, but knitting all one side, then the second hat from the provisional cast on, and pushing it inside the first hat.

VOILA! double sided double knit without slipping stitches or alternating colors!

I LOVE this idea KellyK!!!

Mary

BTW: all the avatars are so much fun. I keep :?? :?? everyone's CHANGING!!!!

brightspot
11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
For some reason I had never seen this thread before. The problem is that my kids just bought me yarn for several new projects for my birthday and I can't decide. :( I may have to make something for me though for the first time. It is getting very cold here (28 in the day) and I don't have a hat!!! I bought one of those things that look like a headband that goes over your ears in town yesterday because the tips of my ears were freezing, but it wouldn't stay down where it belonged and I think it was giving me a headache. I got some very pretty yarn for a hat. It is Red Heart Bright and Lofty it is black and has bright colored flecks. I think I am going to make a beret like I made for my mom. The fluffy yarn makes for a very dense hat. It sounds perfect. Thank you so much for this thread. It is a great idea.

Jan in CA
11-29-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey I did something new! I felted two strands together for a wool scarf I'm making! The stupid yarn was broken 4 inches into the scarf so I was glad I had wool and glad that Amy had a video on how to do it! I love not having to weave in the ends! :happydance: :happydance:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-29-2005, 06:51 PM
yay!!!!

I used to spit-splice my yarn ends too, but I always had a lumpy spot, which I invariaby would pick and pull and eventually cut and have to re-knit and weave anyway :rollseyes:

Keep posting your firsts, people, even if you don't get finished until AFTER december... I like seeing everyone's new experiences!!!!!!!!

Andrea
11-30-2005, 12:10 PM
HILDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Dec. 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

What's the new KAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????? ???

It's already 10:04 CST

brightspot
11-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Umm. Tomorrow is the first.

Jazzmatazz
11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
HILDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang, I'm behind already. Is this leap year? :roflhard:

Andrea
11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
HILDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dang, I'm behind already. Is this leap year? :roflhard:

:oops: OH CRAP...I'm so dumb! NEVERMIND HILDIE
but you could still be thinking about it

KellyK
11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Im kinda hoping that the December KAL can be the "finish knitting all of your Christmas presents KAL"! :roflhard:

Julie
11-30-2005, 02:17 PM
That would be RIGHT UP MY ALLEY! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
:roflhard: andrea!!!!!! :roflhard:

I think you people sit up until 11:59pm on the last day of the month just WAITING for the clock to change over so you can harass me about the next challenge!!!!!!!!!!

I've got you all beat though :twisted: I already wrote the post and saved it as a draft, so it will be up as soon as I am tomorrow morning! muwahahaha

Andrea
11-30-2005, 05:16 PM
:roflhard: andrea!!!!!! :roflhard:

I think you people sit up until 11:59pm on the last day of the month just WAITING for the clock to change over so you can harass me about the next challenge!!!!!!!!!!

Or two days before in my case! :roflhard:

chanters
11-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Well, I tried loop stitch for the first time (thanks to the videos ;) ) and what's more, I did the double version! I can't feel my left hand but I love the way it looks :)

I also used a fancier yarn this month for my fuzzy blanket, :inlove: it's so soft! :inlove:

hedgehog
11-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Well, after all that rigamarole of waiting over 2 weeks, i FINALLY got my 0000 sized needles today. Sheesh! :shock: (and man, are they TINY.... or is that tiny)

But i have to write a laboratory final tonight to torture my students with tomorrow! :devil: So no knittin' tonight... gonna have to be one of those who are finishing up projects in December... Ah well :) At least the torture session tomorrow will make me happy :thumbsup:

-evil dr. hh :twisted:

Sara
11-30-2005, 11:38 PM
I made it! I felted my mittens! And November isn't over for an hour and a half!

They have really long hairs all over them, though. The yarn is Nashua Handknits 75% wool/25% alpaca. I hope I can fluff the surface up a bit after they dry. Or maybe they'll get a little trim. :thinking:

My camera is AWOL, so I'll have to do pics later. Off to work on the hat!

KellyK
12-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Cant wait to seeeeeee!!!!!

Sara
12-01-2005, 12:48 AM
2 more firsts! My first Knitpicks order and I plan on using some of it to make my first pair of clogs! Yay me!

School will be out in two weeks, then I can knit for a month! Yay!

Jazzmatazz
12-02-2005, 08:35 AM
I finished my socks and they are going to be perfect for lounging around. They're a bit large for shoes, but hey...they are made correctly for someone with bigger feet! :D I used size 3 needles and have started another pair using size 1's.

Socks are fun. :heart:

SimplyKaar
12-05-2005, 04:43 PM
I know we've moved on to this months challenge but I promised to post a picture of my baby booties and they were a first for me so I think I should still put them here.

Knitqueen: your pattern is really really nice!! I love it :) I think they came out a little large for a newborn but that's alright, we all know they grow up before your very eyes so he'll soon be able to wear them I think.
Before I give them, I'll think of another drawstring though; I don't like what I have used right now, will probably replace it witch a thin ribbon or something. :thinking:

http://kaar.mekk.com/fotos/booties.jpg

they look like they're different sizes in this picture but in reality they do match :D

DotMom61
12-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Those are so cute! They would look adorable w/ a blue or pink ribbon inserted!

I have some leftover sock yarn that I think I'll use to make some of these. I had tried the pattern using some other yarn, but they came out WAY too big & floppy. I need to downsize my needle & perhaps double the yarn. Love the pattern!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-06-2005, 01:34 PM
very cute!