PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge: November

Pages : [1] 2

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-01-2005, 10:04 PM
In celebration of KH's FIRST anniversary coming up on Nov. 4th, the challenge for November is....

Knit a First

This challenge is a little different. Usually I try to do something that can be incorporated into whatever you are currently knitting. This time, though, I want you to knit "something" that you haven't knit before, or try a technique you've been thinking about. Are you a newbie and looking for something more stimulating than a scarf or dishcloth, but less daunting than a cable sweater? This is the time to knit your first hat!
Have you been knitting mittens for your entire family? Time to knit your first glove!
Are you an ADHD knitter? Time to complete your first FO!!! (whatever it is!)
Maybe you want to try knitting with 5 colors for the first time, or try designing your FIRST pattern.... If you like to knit socks, try the 2 socks on 2 needles method for the first time.

Maybe it's time to branch out and knit something for YOU instead of the eleventy-plex people comissioning projects from you!

Don't worry! the resident yarn ho's will be here to coach you through your first time... it will only hurt for a second, promise!!!!

It an be small... a pin, a flower, a bobble... Or big.. a sweater, a coat, a rug or a car cover..... just as long as it's a first! Good luck!!!!

Jan in CA
11-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Oh boy... :shock: I'm game though! I'll go get some yarn tomorrow! :cheering: Oh wait..gotta get a project first..hmmm... :thinking:

Danielle
11-01-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm in! This will definately be a first for me: knitting a sock. I hope I can do it! :shock:

Julie
11-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Me too -- I'm expecting sock yarn in my Knitpicks order that's on its way...yikes! :oo:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
You can do it!!!!!!!!

KellyK
11-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ideas you come up with for these monthly KALs, Hild....

:figureditout: I KNOW!! I think Ill try those Fiber Trends Clogs that everyone has been talking about!!! :mrgreen:

Actually, this is PERFECT...Im gonna use tiny DPNs for the first time! Im makin' TWO baby bootie, mitten & hat sets!

mintdee
11-01-2005, 11:29 PM
I am in! I think that I will try cables :D Go me Go m. hehehe

You sock first timers are going to love it!

knitqueen
11-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Hope this isn't considered cheating, because I have completed sock PAIRS in the past, but I'm just starting on a pair of socks and for the first time, I'm doing them in tandem. Not 2 socks on 2 circs or anything like that, I'm just going to do the cuff of one, then the cuff of the other, then the leg of one and the leg of the other, etc.

That way I will end up with TWO socks at the same time, and no more sock orphans. ;)

Lacedolphin
11-02-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm eyeballing a slipper pattern in the free pattern section. I've only done dishclothes, a scarf, and 1 block done of an afghan.
If I can get the yarn and gage right, then well try those slippers! :happydance:

Jan in CA
11-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Does look pretty easy and do you think it would be cute in self striping yarn? Or is there a better one?
http://www.kindagrape.com/projects/knithat.htm

sogrammatical
11-02-2005, 12:22 AM
I'm working on a hat for myself. It's not strictly speaking my first hat because I learned how to crochet making hats, but it'll be the first hat that I've actually made for myself. Which is funny, because the whole reason I learned to crochet over a year ago was because I wanted to make myself a hat.

I started it a little over a week ago so it's not entirely a November thing, but I haven't been able to work on it since Wednesday because my hands have been hurting incredibly. Hopefully that will clear up soon and I can finally make my first hat for myself!

koolbreeze
11-02-2005, 12:39 AM
can we do more than one? i'm gonna do a hat then i want to try cables!

hedgehog
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Oooh, i can actually join in on this one!!

I'm S L O W L Y knitting the DNA scarf and have only completed one repeat (35 rows) of the pattern. (too much grading at night... hrmph!)

It's a lot of firsts for me wrapped in one! :happydance:

- i've never knit with fancy posh yarn and i'm using silk/alpaca

- i've never had to read a pattern that's a coded picture and not written out, line by line.

- i've never had to use a lifeline before

and the biggie:

- i've never knit cables before - EVER! :shock:

So i'm learning a lot from this project - i just wish it was going a little faster!! :)

Hopefully i'll be done by the end of November. I had better be - Xmas is just around the corner!!! ARGH! :shock:

Thanks Hilde - EXCELLENT idea!! :)

-hh

aprildavis99
11-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Cool Idea! I was thinking about making a sweater for my dog. Not is it only the first time I will have made her anything, but it will be the first time I will be doing a more complicated pattern than Stockinette, garter, or 2x2 ribbing. This one is a basketweave pattern for a doggie cardigan made in one piece. And first time using stitch markers. I hope I don't get confused. :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks Hilde

Silver
11-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Hey, I can join this one! I'm currently knitting a (warning, technical terminology) 3-color-striped-jumper/onesy-type-thingy for a baby. And I've never done a stripe before! You know.. the kind that doesn't come from self striping yarn. Hey, nor have I ever knit a jumper/onesy-type-thingy! :thumbsup:

margie
11-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Hmmmm...........I haven't participated in a monthly KAL before- I think I can manage this one!! That is, in amongst the Christmas stuff I'm frantically trying to finish. I'm not too sure what I'm going to try to make. Maybe socks? I was going to wait until after Christmas to try them, but maybe I'll give it a go now. We'll see!! :D

KellyK
11-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Sil...its so hard for me to imagine that there is ANY knitting skill you haven't tried! :shock: You are SUCH an amazing knitter!

GlenBoRTR
11-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Great idea...
I'll do SOCKS too!
:XX:

:heart: Thanks Hilde :heart:

humblestumble
11-02-2005, 03:28 PM
hmm... I'm already doing something I've never done before...does that count?

Silver
11-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Sil...its so hard for me to imagine that there is ANY knitting skill you haven't tried! :shock: You are SUCH an amazing knitter!
Awww thank you Kelly! :heart:
But don't forget, I've only been knitting for a few years. I haven't had time to do everything yet. But, I will say there's nothing I won't at least TRY! :)

rebecca
11-02-2005, 04:38 PM
I am going to knit my 1st clapotis (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html) and have never done this drop st. dealy that 'makes' the clapotis. I think I will begin in about a week to 10 days, after I finish Branching Out (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000369.jpg) that I started a few days ago & some sort of hat to match with this cool painted yarn that I bought from Ebay some time ago for no reason...it will match the scarf ;) and Lonnie asked me to knit Tychus (http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTtychus.html) in gray & black for him....then I will begin the clapotis and I will FINALLY have the opportunity to use this yummiest yarn of all, the outstanding SouthWest Trading Company's Karaoke yarn....50% soysilk/50% wool. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: All that said to say YAY...I WANT TO PLAY :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

jodstr2
11-02-2005, 04:44 PM
I wanna do the Kitty Pi for this. the DPN part of it (the beginning) scares me.

Jan in CA
11-02-2005, 05:20 PM
I am going to make socks ala Silver's tutorial....IF I ever hear back from my stepmom about whether it's safe to buy some dpn's! It's close to Christmas you know and she starts early. :rollseyes:

jwardell
11-02-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm doing a 'Nantasket Basket' in WOA. This will be my first shot at DPNs, and more than one color. Also, for one of my gift projects, I have to learn Kitchener (sp?) stitch. Amy's videos are sure to help a great deal.

Sascha
11-02-2005, 10:22 PM
I am in on this one! I am going to make a hat. It will be my first time using circulars and dpns. :X:

gimmesanity
11-02-2005, 10:30 PM
Socks for me...a la' Sil's tutorial.
I'm glad I'm not alone in the sock thing...maybe we can all form a support group. hehe.

foldedbird
11-03-2005, 01:05 AM
I'll join in, because I just started something last night I've never done before! A knitted garment that's not a sock. You can read all about it on my blog, too.

It's the ChicKami (www.chicknits.com/catalog/chickami.html) from ChickKnits.com. I'm using the elann sonata in blue. Very light, pretty blue.

It's pretty painless so far, I'm 15 rounds in. That's about 2550 stitches so far!!!

Denise

KellyK
11-03-2005, 01:16 AM
That is gonna be SO cute on your adorable little self, Deni!!

foldedbird
11-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks, KK. I'm very excited about it! I just took some pictures of my progress, but my darn card reader isn't working, so I can't get them off of the card! :crying:

Jackie M.
11-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Oh boy......I have wanted to try cables too, but never got the courage. Okay a cable hat is simple enough, right?

Right???? :wall:

foldedbird
11-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Sure! Cables are wicked fun!

Jackie M.
11-03-2005, 11:52 AM
[quote="Hildegard_von_Knittin"]In celebration of KH's FIRST anniversary coming up on Nov. 4th, the challenge for November is....

Knit a First

This time, though, I want you to knit "something" that you haven't knit before, or try a technique you've been thinking about.

Does this mean Ingrid has to knit a sock now?

Danielle
11-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I got my sock started! :happydance: It's a little sloppy, but it'll do. I was having trouble getting started on the dpns, but got it figured out after a few tries. Thanks to Silver for the sock tutorial! :cheering: Here is a pic of it:

jodstr2
11-03-2005, 12:51 PM
:heart: such yummy yarn, Danielle! brava to you for doing a sock (I'm still a wuss)!!! :inlove: :thumbsup:

foldedbird
11-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Awww, c'mon Jodi! You have to do socks, now. I believe I sent you a sock-sized st marker in your set. :happydance:

KellyK
11-03-2005, 01:01 PM
It looks FANTASTIC, YVWB!!

I LOVE this KAL....November is the month of BRAVERY!! (need a FLEXING emoticon)

SimplyKaar
11-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Woohoo! This is something I can do aswell!! :happydance:

Let's see: first babyblanket but that probably won't have "new" stitches... or, first time to try knitting socks with this HUGELY praised sock tutorial by Silver maybe?... or hm.... a tanktop for myself orrr....

*runs to check her stash for something she can start right now*

Julie
11-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I just realized that most of the Knitpicks order I got today is for things I havent' tried yet...

:happydance:

Danielle
11-03-2005, 06:38 PM
Nice stash! Can't wait to see the finished projects!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-03-2005, 07:56 PM
can we do more than one? i'm gonna do a hat then i want to try cables!

yes! Do many!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-03-2005, 07:58 PM

yeah!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-03-2005, 08:03 PM
crap.... I really need to READ EVERYTHING before I reply! :doh:

This thread has taken off! Woohooo!

Yes, KK, November is the month of bravery... and lucky for us, we have a fabulous suport group of people who can help! Just think... there really isn't anything that NO ONE here has done before! Even if we virgins when it comes to cables or colors or sweaters or dpns or whatever, there will be someone around who has experience! KH ROCKS!!!!!!!!

This is going to be great! I can see the questions forum exploding already... Ingy, I hope you're up to that challenge as well!!!

How many more exclamation points can I use in this post? Who knows!

hedgehog
11-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Well, i spent some time on my DNA scarf last night and inserted my second lifeline. It was scary but i removed the first lifeline to see if it would be a problem and it all looks good! :cheering:

I'm really loving this challenge and i love the way it's turning out (slow as it is!!). I just wish i had a digital camera to take piccies. :help: For a scientist, i'm rather low-tech at home... heh! :shifty:

-hh

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Hedge, you can take pics with a regular camera and have them put on CD! Or buy a disposal digital cam. Isn't that wierd... disposal technology. whodda thunkit?

Jackie M.
11-03-2005, 08:59 PM

yeah!

Ahhh...well then, I'll just try to finish the cardigan I've been working on for a month! :XX:

KellyK
11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just for YOU, Hild... :heart:

foldedbird
11-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Even if we virgins when it comes to cables or colors or sweaters or dpns or whatever, there will be someone around who has experience!

You...a virgin? :rofling: :roflhard: :lol: :rofling: :roflhard: :lol: :rofling: :roflhard: :lol: :rofling: :roflhard: :lol: :rofling: :roflhard: :lol: :rofling: :roflhard: :lol: :rofling: :roflhard: :lol: :rofling: :roflhard: :lol:

Andrea
11-03-2005, 09:56 PM
I started my first sock...someday I'll figure out how to post pics with the mod squad fixing the size :oops:

feministmama
11-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Something new... a first... Hmmm..... :thinking:

AhA! I will start one project and finish it before I start another one! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
11-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Something new... a first... Hmmm..... :thinking:

AhA! I will start one project and finish it before I start another one! :thumbsup:

You know, I've been trying to think of something for me. I think this is an excellent one. I will finish my sweater before I touch anything else.

foldedbird
11-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Yeah, that's my second attempt...to finish the top before I start another project. But, I doubt that's going to happen because I signed up for SockIt2me KAL and the Lorna's Laces sock yarn I have is calling my naaaame.

amy
11-03-2005, 11:01 PM
:cheering: Hildie, this is such a great KAL idea!!!!!!!!! <---and it deserves all the exclamation points it gets :thumbsup:

:thinking: Hmmmmm, there's lots of things I've never done before. I've never done a toe-up sock, but wanted to for a long time. I've never done machine knitting. .... I'm bound to try something new this month! What a fun idea!

Wow, I'm so impressed watching folks take all these daring steps into the territory of the unknown! It's great to see!!

foldedbird
11-03-2005, 11:27 PM
If you do a toe-up sock, that would be so cool...and then you can make a video for it! :D

jodstr2
11-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Awww, c'mon Jodi! You have to do socks, now. I believe I sent you a sock-sized st marker in your set. :happydance:

why yes you sure did! :heart:

kitty pi, or ribby cardi, or socks! but I hope I can actually start this in November!

aprildavis99
11-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I am almost done with my doggie cardigan. I am loving the basketweave pattern. I tried using those bone rings as stitch markers. They are very awkward. I started using bits of different colored yarn instead. And I only frogged about 13 times!!! :happydance: I kept forgetting to switch between knit and purl. Some rows said k5, p3, others said p5, k3 I kept switching it. I also had to pick up several dropped stitches. That was another first...one I didn't plan on :doh: I am just finishing up the bottom of the cardigan and just need to work the tiny sleeves on dpns. Yeah! I love this KAL!!!!! :heart:

:XX: april

D
11-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I'll be doing this (http://www.yarnmagazine.com.au/current/patterns/springflowers.html) bag.. minus the flowers, and red and gold (Gryffindor HP colors) wanting to finish it for the premiere, we'll see! BUT i've gotta finish this scarf first!

foldedbird
11-04-2005, 09:52 PM
Here's my progress on the ChicKami as of Wednesday.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-04-2005, 11:14 PM
nice bag D!

ebrperk
11-04-2005, 11:37 PM
That is such a cute pattern Denise!!!! It will look great on you.

I will either try my first pair of socks or make a cardigan for our new baby due in February. Need to make the socks probably.

Robin

foldedbird
11-05-2005, 01:48 AM
LOL hildie, thanks... but it's a tank top!

Robin, aren't you a sweetie? I hope you're right!

rebecca
11-05-2005, 02:27 AM
I am LOVING everyone's 1st projects!! Okay, I did one today and that was my 1st hat done with short rows...it was a VERY FAST knit....I did it today, like i said...LOL!!

Hilde, my DAHLIN....you are lookin' fabulous... :heart: :heart: the avatar ;)

Okay, I did Tychus from Knitty from Lonnie and here we have a pic of the top of my head to show the detail...my head is NOT as big...it looks HUGE in this pic.. :roflhard: :rofling: And since Lonnie is sleeping @ 1am I had to take a pic of me in the mirror wearing it...I will have one of him with it in a day or 2

My next 1st...clapotis from Knitty :thumbsup:

humblestumble
11-05-2005, 02:29 AM
toe up socks are amazingly simple! I just had to say it... I have never knit socks before, and they are a breeze once you get how to cast on with the figure 8 method and knit the first two rows. There's more in my blog... I did struggle a little bit, but not much. Really, it's so simple! And it goes very quickly :)

Jazzmatazz
11-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Since I started to knit last spring, I've done felted purses, scarves, hats, cables, a couple of pairs of clogs, and a tank top. I've been terrified of socks since I TRIED to do the French Market Bag and couldn't get started with the DPNs. I gave up on that one. So with Silver's sock tutorial, I'm going to dive right into making socks. Which Knitpicks sock yarn would be a good one for a rank beginner? It should be washable, but other than that I don't know if stripes are harder to work with or if one kind of sock yarn is easier to use. Also, should I start with size 2 or size 3 DPNs? Silver says either. Any ideas? :??

Ingrid
11-05-2005, 09:33 AM
REBECCA!!! One day?!! I have a feeling lots of these hats are going to be made on Christmas Eve! :rofling: Looks great! I always liked this hat but I thought it would be a pain to make. Obviously, not! :happydance:

punkhippiemom
11-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Since I started to knit last spring, I've done felted purses, scarves, hats, cables, a couple of pairs of clogs, and a tank top. I've been terrified of socks since I TRIED to do the French Market Bag and couldn't get started with the DPNs. I gave up on that one. So with Silver's sock tutorial, I'm going to dive right into making socks. Which Knitpicks sock yarn would be a good one for a rank beginner? It should be washable, but other than that I don't know if stripes are harder to work with or if one kind of sock yarn is easier to use. Also, should I start with size 2 or size 3 DPNs? Silver says either. Any ideas? :??
I would personally start with the *very slightly* larger needles, and then when you get the hang of it a little more, you can switch to smaller needles. My first pair of socks were just to see if I could do it, and they were knit with size7 dpn's and worsted weight acrylic yarn. Once I had a bit more confidence in myself, I got the smaller needles and 'real' sock yarn ;)
All of you trying cables for the first time are going to be amazed at how easy they are... and fun, too, of course!
I can't wait to try toe-up socks on two circs....but I'm going to have to. January, tho, for sure!!
*edited to add... Duh :doh: My 'first' project is that I'm going to make my first sweater. Haven't done one yet, I think it'll be fun... and I'm going to make two of them, because if I make one for one son, I have to make one for the other :rollseyes: And I think I might throw some fair isle in as well, haven't done that yet, I usually prefer textural design to colorwork... or maybe mosaic patterns, those look like fun. :cheering: I'm ambitious this month!!

katiyana
11-05-2005, 03:15 PM
I've been planning some new doll sweater designs incorporating beading, I'll do my first one 8)

CateKnits
11-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Ohhhh, why does this have to be in November?!
I want to try a first sweater (I think it's called Fairly Easy Fair Isle...it's in Stitch n Bitch Nation), but I have to wait until at least December to start it!
I can't think of another good first. I suppose I could do a first felting and make a bag. :D

Jazzmatazz
11-05-2005, 06:19 PM
My first pair of socks were just to see if I could do it, and they were knit with size7 dpn's and worsted weight acrylic yarn. Once I had a bit more confidence in myself, I got the smaller needles and 'real' sock yarn ;)

That's such a good idea I decided to make at least one "fake sock" using the worsted weight. So far I've done an inch or so of the 2 X 2 ribbing on the cuff. DPNs are a little tricky, but it's getting easier. It's also easier to do a first project with lots of stitches instead of one stitch on each DPN like the French Market Bag. No wonder I gave up on that one. :??

punkhippiemom
11-05-2005, 07:44 PM
:cheering: Yay, good for you! It's a lot easier to handle the dpn's if you start with a larger size and thicker yarn, just to get used to using them... Once you get that down, the world of socks is your oyster! ;)
I am also going to do lace this month, which is another 1st for me . . . I just have to find a lace pattern that I like... I love this one (http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=97024), and will probably make myself that skirt :inlove: but it's really complex looking, and I want something easy, but pretty... :thinking: I love the way that this (http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/project_display_closeup.asp?itemID=50419220&projName=Sweet%20Mary%20Jane%20Cardigan&bookName=Sweet%20Mary%20Jane%20Cardigan&authName=Celeste%20Culpepper)looks, does anyone know what that stitch pattern is?Sigh....

CateKnits, try making a small rectangle purse and then felt it - It'll knit up really fast, and they are so handy for carrying stuff like your cell phone and ID when you don't want a full sized purse. I think I'm gonna make some for my neices and cousins this year for Christmas... :thinking:
Hey, I can do my first felting, too! I'm on a roll.... :happydance:

foldedbird
11-05-2005, 07:46 PM
We're going to have to put speedbumps out, you're rolling so much!

punkhippiemom
11-05-2005, 07:55 PM
:rofling: <---- (me falling over Denise's speedbumps!)

foldedbird
11-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Conversation between my father and I when I was little:

"Daddy, I'm bored!" said Deede

"Oh yeah? Why don't you go outside and play speedbump."

Ingrid
11-05-2005, 08:02 PM
November, November. YIKES! It's NOVEMBER. Geez, here I'm thinking about finishing my sweater when I've got that shawl to finish for you-know-what. There's a lot of stitches left on that baby. At least I won't have to change colors. That'll be my challenge--to get this thing done in the next 6 weeks or so.

foldedbird
11-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Good thing you knit fast, Ingrid!

Julie
11-05-2005, 11:30 PM
All right...I've gotten started...if only I wasn't having so much trouble with my craptastic Boye cable.... :verysad:

humblestumble
11-06-2005, 02:22 AM
My socks are on size 5 DPNs with sport weight I think. Not as small as most socks, but still wearable.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2005, 02:35 AM
craptastic!!! :roflhard:

LOVE the colors!!!!

Jazzmatazz
11-06-2005, 09:41 AM
I love those stripes too. What's wrong with the Boyes? I've never knitted with 2 circs.

The saga of the fake sock: Using my leftover cascade 200 and size 8 DPNs, my practice sock is coming along. All I have to do is knit the foot a few more inches and graft the toe. The heel actually looks pretty good considering that the yarn is humongous.

Silver's tutorial is the most awesome thing I've seen, other than the videos on this site.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2005, 09:56 AM
congratulations!!!! :cheering:

Emeraldcutie
11-06-2005, 11:08 AM
My first time project is this scarf. I have never done a scarf on a circular needle before. I never knew what I was missing, it's been 2 days and I have a good start on it.
I adjusted the colours for my hogwarts scarf a little. Couldn't get the true gold, so went with a pale yellow called Banana, I really like it.

My cat couldn't resist getting a chance in the spot light :)

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Beautiful job--can't tell it's a first project!! I choked up a little when I saw your cat. He/she looks exactly like my last cat--she died at 21, so she was definitely a part of the family for a long time and was essentially 'my' cat.
*sigh*

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2005, 11:24 AM
cute kitty!!! :heart:

your scarf looks fantastic... i'll bet it will be nice and warm!!!!!

KellyK
11-06-2005, 01:16 PM
:heart: HUGS, Ingy!! :heart:

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 02:46 PM
You're so sweet, Kelly!! :heart:

kdavies
11-06-2005, 04:32 PM
OK, I'm cheating. I started working on Tara (from Rowan #38), a lovely but unusual shrug. It is my first shrug and my first time knitting sleeves...actually, it is 2 sleeves with a piece that goes across the back to connect them, so basically I'm just knitting two really long sleeves!

KellyK
11-06-2005, 04:35 PM
And, WHY is that cheating??? A first is a first!! :thumbsup:

kdavies
11-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Oh! And it's also my first time knitting a 'blackberry' pattern...kind of an odd thing, but now that I've figured it out, I lke it!

Julie
11-06-2005, 08:13 PM
:cheering:

Jazzmatazz
11-06-2005, 08:16 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

I'm loving that sock. How long did it take from start to finish?

I think I'm going to order real sock yarn and smaller DPNs tonight from Knitpicks. The practice sock is almost done.

hedgehog
11-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, i've completed 2.75 repeats of this DNA motif and it's going along pretty well. I like how it's turning out but i kinda messed up in one spot :oops:

I had inserted a lifeline, knitted up, then inserted another and removed the bottom line before realizing i had made a mistake about 4 rows below my second lifeline. :doh: And it's in the simple seed stichy border bit :wall: so there's a wonky bit in the border, but the cables look just fine! Silly, stupid hedgehog!! Oh well.. it looks "handmade" ;)

-hh

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Julie--That sock is lovely!! Good for you!

Hedge--I've read that makers of Persian rugs always put in an error, since only God is perfect, or something like that. Just say you didn't want to offend the gods, so you put in that little glitch.

foldedbird
11-06-2005, 09:00 PM
WTG on that sock!

Julie
11-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks! I used Knitpicks Parade (sport weight) and US4 needles, so it was relatively quick. I started it yesterday afternoon and finished it this evening...I'm still sick so I've been laying low, knitting a lot this weekend. ;)

rebecca
11-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Nice sock, Julie :thumbsup: WTG :cheering: :cheering:

Andrea
11-06-2005, 11:01 PM
Julie,

Nice job! Someone had asked earlier, but I didn't see a response---how did you knit that on a circular???

Andrea
11-06-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm about 1/2 way down to the heel on my first sock...on size 1's. :shock:

I do dig making them a little though, could be a new obsession...

Julie
11-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I do my small diameter knitting on two circs instead of DPNs, because I'm scared of them. A la: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos/adv-tech/2-circular-needles-rds.mpg

punkhippiemom
11-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Love your sock, Julie - I almost ordered that same color yarn today for my boys...

BTW, that's 2 more firsts for me - my first time ordering from a catalog, and my first time using Knitpicks yarn - - and I got the paint your own, so it's actually 3 - my first time dying yarn, too!!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering:
Somebody stop me!!!

DotMom61
11-07-2005, 12:17 AM
WOW!!! I haven't been able to get on the forum for the past week, and I can't believe how this monthly challenge has taken off!!! Good idea, Hild!

And, Julie, I can't believe you are *still* sick!!! It's been a week now! Have you been to the doctor? I hope you start feeling better *very* soon!!

And, weirdly enough, I've already MET THE CHALLENGE. :-D I knit a pair of FT Clogs in the past week. Kelly, Julie and Suziehomemaker coerced me into buying BOTH sizes of the pattern last weekend, and so I came home & grabbed some cheap ole wool I had lyin' around and made a pair. They are felting as we speak. Unfortunately, though, I totally messed up the 2nd one. I guess I haven't learned my lesson about knitting in the dark. I'm not sure what I did, but something tells me that I skipped a couple of rows along the way because it turned out about 1-2" shorter than the other one. :doh: I'm felting them anyway just to see how it goes.

Now, the 2nd first for November: I bought some KARAOKE yarn today to make DD a pair of clogs for Christmas. First time for Karaoke. :-)

3rd 1st for November: I started a scarf the other day. I've *never* knit a scarf before. I'm liking how it looks as it goes along,but boy oh boy do I hate SSK, especially after a YO. I found the pattern in Oddball Knitting. It's just a simple diamond pattern. I'll post pics later.

Now I need to go send the 1st clogs through their 2nd felting cycle. It's so fun to see everyone getting so excited about this challenge!! :cheering:

And, it's especially nice to get back out here and see how everyone is doing. Hi!!! :waving:

Emeraldcutie
11-07-2005, 12:36 AM
I really enjoy knitting the scarf since I only have to knit it goes fast.

Hilde if you ever want to borrow duthie donut I can ship her COD ..lol..she's on a rip tear right now looking for something to get in to. I hid all the yarn..lol :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Sure, send away!!!!! :-)

Julie, LOVE the sock!!!!!! Can't wait to see the PAIR!

Hedge, I screwed up the seed stitch in the cardigan I'm working on... and I showed it all around on our IL knitapalooza and no one noticed!!! (or they were too polite to say anything). Don't worry about it... consider it poetic license for knitters!

DM, not only are you SUPERMOM, but you've done the challenge3 times over?????? you must have an extra set of arms and legs somewhere... can I borrow them?

DotMom61
11-07-2005, 01:39 PM
DM, not only are you SUPERMOM, but you've done the challenge3 times over?????? you must have an extra set of arms and legs somewhere... can I borrow them?

Hild --

Supermom, I am NOT! I just had lots of empty time on my hands last week. We'll see if I actually finish the scarf, although I have to admit that the clogs are blocking. :D
http://static.flickr.com/25/60919302_87d19f2556.jpg

Amazingly, these started out completely different sizes, but I threw the larger one in the dryer, and it shrank down enough to make the size difference neglible. I also forgot to bind off the cuff of one of them as I was knitting. So, I went back around & bound it off. It has an extra little ridge along it now. They also seem a little lumpy & bumpy, but I'm attributing that to the wool I used -- Paton's Merino (in Paprika). It felted *really* fast, but doesn't seem as pretty as Lamb's Pride.

OK ...I am rambling now. I really must get something done today. The day after coming home from the hospital is always such an Ick day. I can't get motivated to do anything. :zzz:

aprildavis99
11-07-2005, 05:52 PM
I finished my doggie cardigan. But OOPS!! it is a tiny bit too big around. I don't want to start over. I am thinking about sewing it up in back into pleats or something to tighten it up at about the same area where the front sleeves are. That way she wont keep tripping on the sagging sleeves. The rest will still be a bit baggy but that's ok. Who doesn't love a big comfy saggy sweater?

Ingrid
11-07-2005, 06:06 PM
I like the look of those clogs--do they have a sheen, or is it just the picture?

DotMom61
11-07-2005, 09:42 PM
I like the look of those clogs--do they have a sheen, or is it just the picture?

Hmmm ... I guess they have a slight sheen. I hadn't really noticed it! This yarn also gets slightly nubby when it felts. It's kinda cool, I guess. ;-)

I can't wait to try out the Karaoke, though!! Hmmm ... think I'll go swatch it! :figureditout:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-07-2005, 09:59 PM
oh, those clogs are cool!!! they look kind of cabley in the picture, very unique!

Did you take a pic of the doggie sweater, april?

Emeraldcutie
11-08-2005, 12:21 AM
I started a scarf for a co-worker thats a very manly cable knit in black..lol
I learned today how to do cables without a cable needle.
I was bummed when I realized I didn't pack my cable needle in my knitting bag, when I got to work. So I searched the net and found a demo on how to do cables without, it works absolutely wonderful, cuts on time and no dangling needle to deal with. If you haven't tried it, you have to, you will actually start to love making cables. I can't wait to try an aran sweater using the technique.

Hope everyone had a great day. :thumbsup:

Julie
11-08-2005, 12:27 AM
:cheering: GLEEEEE!!!

Emeraldcutie
11-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Those look wonderful.
Is that a self striping yarn? They match so beautifully, if so where can I get some. :cheering:

Great Job

Julie
11-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Thanks! :D

Yes, it's self-striping -- it's Knitpicks Parade. $2.99 a ball...and this pair (which fits my five-year-old) used exactly one skein. I was pretty nervous near the end, there, and had less than 3 yards left over!

Now I can get back to my Christmas knitting..... :XX:

rebecca
11-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Julie.. :heart:in' your clogs!!
Julie...WTG with your socks :cheering: :cheering:

Okay, my 2nd FO that I've done this month that I happen never to have done before!!
I wanted a hat to match my Branching Out Scarf (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000373.jpg) and I thought that the yarn color would be enough with a simple hat with seed st border with painted yarn that matched....I was wrong! So my 1st on the project is the appliqued leaves that are done on the bottom of the hat. i'm afraid the batteries are low in my camera & I can't get a good shot..but here's what I've got....

Danielle
11-08-2005, 12:54 AM
Julie, your socks look great! :thumbsup:
Rebecca, :heart: the hat! That yarn is beautiful!!
Dotmom, great job on the clogs! :cheering:

My first sock is finished!! It was so fun to knit!
:cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Silver's sock tutorial is awesome! I would have been lost without it! I can't wait to get started on the second sock! :happydance:
Here's some pics:

rebecca
11-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Danielle....YOUR SOCK IS AWESOME :cheering: :cheering:

LOL, you guys who are trying socks for the 1st time are gonna be sock knitting addicts...just like me and all of us the the Sock Knitting Addicts of the World club ;)

Julie
11-08-2005, 01:10 AM
Great job Danielle! :cheering:

Rebecca, your hat is beautiful! :heart:

KellyK
11-08-2005, 01:19 AM
Jul, Danielle, your socks are sockalicious!!

Rebecca....you and those matching hats...you are a NATURAL designer, girlfriend!! :heart:

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 01:24 AM
I love all these socks!!! You guys are killin' me! I want to try them so badly, but I've *got* to get these other projects done! I can't wait 'til Christmas, 'cause I'm going to pack up some sock yarn & sit and knit while everyone else is opening their presents! :lol:

knitqueen
11-08-2005, 02:05 AM
Isn't it so hilarious how a ribbed sock looks without a foot in it??? :roflhard: :roflhard: I'm making ribbed socks right now and it just cracks me up looking at it. Like, there's no WAY that would fit an adult's leg. hehehe

Great projects everyone!! :thumbsup:

aprildavis99
11-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Well, I did my best. That darn dog decided that no one's gonna make her wear a sweater. she got it off last nite and now it is chewed to pieces! It's frustrating of course, but I can just imagine her in the darkness of night attacking that poor sweater. :rollseyes: Bummer for me, but hey, I made something new! I didn't even get a picture of it on her.

But on the up side. My son loved that I made a dog sweater and requested a sweater for his toy racoon. It's a small beany baby type racoon. I made a tiny sweater vest with self striping yarn. It was my first off -the-top-of -my-head creation. I was too scared to try to make tiny sleeves, though. :shock: If I can get my hands on a digital cam I will post it.

:XX: april

KellyK
11-08-2005, 09:45 AM
:shock: OH THE HORROR!!!! :shock:

Emeraldcutie
11-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Nice Socks Yellow, is the pattern available anywhere on here.
I called Knitpicks and ordered 10 balls of sock yarn. I can't wait, although to ship to canada it cost 15.00, thats okay cause there's nothing like that yarn in my vicinity. They quoted 14 day delivery, guess Iam going to have to be patient.

DotMom61
11-08-2005, 12:14 PM
April --

I'm horrified for you about the dog sweater! But I can't wait to see the little raccoon all dressed up. :cheering:

Emerald --

I'm totally and completely jealous of you and your sock yarn!! I can't wait to get Christmas preparations done so I can get into socks ... well, you know, into *knitting* socks ... I wear them every day, most days. :??

To be honest: I just want the yarn and something to make with it ... I think it's so cool that it makes stripes all by itself! :lol:

Emeraldcutie
11-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Emerald --

I'm totally and completely jealous of you and your sock yarn!! I can't wait to get Christmas preparations done so I can get into socks ... well, you know, into *knitting* socks ... I wear them every day, most days. :??

To be honest: I just want the yarn and something to make with it ... I think it's so cool that it makes stripes all by itself! :lol:

I thought the same thing, and then when I went to site, I was like ooohh one of these and two of these, lol. I had to make it worth while because it is 15.00 to ship to canada, so I got a 2 balls of each colour that I liked. I am hoping 2 balls is enough for a ladies size lrg sock (sz 9 ft).
If not Iam sure I can find something to knit with it.

Yesterday I picked up bernat frenzy, in the most delicious shade of periwinkle with other flecks. My husband bought me a Columbia reversible jacket in periwinkle and navy, so its going to make a perfect scarf. Iam going to use the pattern that Amy posted where you wrap the needle 3 times and knit through.

Way to many things to knit and not enough hours.

koolbreeze
11-08-2005, 02:13 PM
heres my first!!! a baby hat!! i'm knitting another one for DS but it starts on circs then goes to dpns...the baby hat wasn't knit in a round. it doesn't fit Krickett but i didn't knit it for her big head :rollseyes:

rebecca
11-08-2005, 02:54 PM
:heart: in' the hat & the model ;)

foldedbird
11-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Ohhh, I would have served that dog up for DINNER. April, I feel so bad for you!

Awesome hat, Rebecca! I agree, your design skills are the shizzie.

WTG on that sock. It's lovely. And yes, they DO look funny when you're not wearing them.

Kool hat, Koolbreeze. Very, very cute baby, too!

foldedbird
11-08-2005, 03:37 PM
The progress on my chicKami isn't going as well as I'd hoped. I made quite a few mistakes once I got to the shaping...there are wonky stitches at the beginning of the round and I inadvertenly started the decreases in one spot too early, and one spot too late. In another spot I didn't do them at all.
This is what I get for knitting around the kids! I'm contemplating ripping it back. I showed it to a couple of the girls in the knitting group, and they've assured me that they can barely notice...but EYE can. And that's enough to make me want it fixed. Howeeevver, I'm not to keen on reknitting 20 something rounds! I know, though, once it's done I'll be glad that I did it.

Jazzmatazz
11-08-2005, 07:04 PM
I love those Mardi Gras socks.

I'm afraid I'd have to speak quite sternly to any animal or human that destroyed my knitting. Quite sternly!

ebrperk
11-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Well I did my first project totally on DPN's and my first sock. It is a little big but I am so excited.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/ebrperk/IM001421.jpg

Robin

P.S Silver your tutorial ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

KellyK
11-08-2005, 10:46 PM
YAYYYYYYYYYY ROBIN!!

OK - this is a bit of a cop-out, but this is the first project Ive ever designed and knit with THREE strands held together as one!

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/grrrrr2.jpg

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Great sock!!

Kelly--what did you use for the wooly bear?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-08-2005, 11:14 PM
it looks like a wooly bear's willie warmer!!!! :roflhard:

Ebrperk, your sok looks great!!! don't forget the other one!

Julie
11-08-2005, 11:18 PM
Ebrperk!! Great sock!! :cheering:

ebrperk
11-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Hilde--I have to make two?????? :shock:

Have to finish a clog before I can start the second sock. I was actually just messing around today with it.

Robin

punkhippiemom
11-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Robin, I am loving that sock... and the yarn!!!.... gorgeous colors!!!
I finished my first cabled project... onto my first lace project...

foldedbird
11-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Where? Where's the cabled project?

KellyK
11-09-2005, 12:19 AM
If a bear's willie is 56 inches long!!! :shock:

Its Patons Bohemian, Disco and Fun Fur. If Amy doesnt want the pattern for the free pattern page, Ill post all the stats in the Pattern Forum.

punkhippiemom
11-09-2005, 12:32 AM
LOL Maybe a whale....
Here's my cables....it's WARM! :heart:

foldedbird
11-09-2005, 12:41 AM
VERY nice, Rebecca!!! That's for me, right?

punkhippiemom
11-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Mmm-hmmm.... As soon as you move somewhere that you might actually use it... ;) LOL

foldedbird
11-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Actually, it gets pretty cold here in the mornings, and the wind nearly kills ya. I've been trying to find enough time to make myself a scarf, funny as it is!

KellyK
11-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Looks YUMMY, PHM!!!

rebecca
11-09-2005, 03:04 AM
If a bear's willie is 56 inches long!!! :shock: .

:shock: :shock: ....LOL

looking good with the cables PHM!!
KK...loving the .....scarf or...ahem warmer :oops:

Silver
11-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Well, I don't think my project counts as a first anymore. I forgot.. I have knitted stripes before... a felted bag. Crap.

DotMom61
11-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Everbody's stuff is lovely! Those cables look absolutely perfect, and that's a terrific fisrt sock, EBR.

Kelly -- can't wait to see your pattern! Looks really cute and makes me want to sing, "Let me entertain you .... " :rofling:

Danielle
11-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Nice Socks Yellow, is the pattern available anywhere on here.
I called Knitpicks and ordered 10 balls of sock yarn. I can't wait, although to ship to canada it cost 15.00, thats okay cause there's nothing like that yarn in my vicinity. They quoted 14 day delivery, guess Iam going to have to be patient.

The pattern is from Silver's sock class, found here (www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Beginning.htm)

Carmell, great job on the hat! The model is too cute!
Kelly, love the scarf!
Robin, the sock looks great!
Rebecca, the cabled scarf is beautiful!

amy
11-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Danielle, great sock, congratulations!!! :cheering:

Rebecca, that hat looks cool in the pic. Wish I could see the edging closer-up, it's got a great effect overall!

April, OMG, that's so sad about your doggie sweater! Congrats on venturing into your own design on the toy rackoon sweater though!

Robin, that sock looks GREAT, congrats!!! :cheering:

PHM, the cables are gorgeous!

KellyK, love how the scarf turned out. Love the pic you took, so cute! LOL

rebecca
11-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone :D ! Amy (or anyone that wants to look..lol!), you can see a bit more detailed photos here (http://photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/) ;)

Ingrid
11-09-2005, 07:45 PM
If a bear's willie is 56 inches long!!! :shock:

Its Patons Bohemian, Disco and Fun Fur. If Amy doesnt want the pattern for the free pattern page, Ill post all the stats in the Pattern Forum.

You don't have wooly bears in the midwest? I was just thinking of the color. Hildie made it dirty! :shifty:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-09-2005, 08:42 PM
:shock:
I never make anything dirty. YOu are just taking things out of context, Ingy! :fingerwag:

aprildavis99
11-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Wow. Everything looks wonderful. I am soooo loving those cables. Way to go everyone! We are all so very fearless....ok fear-little.

Has anyone ever actually made a willy warmer? Do they chafe? Just asking for a friend of a friend of a friend.......of a friend. :thinking:

I could just see my husband dancing in front of the mirror with that :shock: :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Ask Hildie!!! Or am I taking this request out of context? :thinking: :roflhard:

KellyK
11-09-2005, 10:28 PM
I made one!! But, sadly, I still cannot answer your question, as the thing has never even been tried on! :verysad:

I can imagine that the chafing factor would be determined by the yarn you use. Also, I cant imagine it would stay ON long enough to chafe ANYTHING! :eyebrow: :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-09-2005, 10:29 PM
:shock: Kelly Louise!!! :shock:

KellyK
11-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I made it so I could help someone else (Kempy, I think?) with the pattern.

Ingrid
11-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Suuuuuuure! I help people with patterns all the time. Do I knit each and every one? Noooooo.

And why are you so disappointed that it's never been worn? Hmmm?

Why don't you give to to Macho Man Howie since he's always so cold? :roflhard:

KellyK
11-09-2005, 10:56 PM
:( You're always makin fun of my little manly man!!

Well, OF COURSE Im disappointed that its never been worn! I want to see my hard work put to good use! :roflhard:

(I was gonna make a joke about switching "hard" and "good" in that sentence, but I wasnt sure it would be appropriate.....Im assuming that no one under the age of 18 is able to read very small type at the bottom of a post! :oops: )

Ingrid
11-09-2005, 10:58 PM
I think it's the older ones of us who have trouble with small print! :roflhard:

And I would LOVE to meet Howie!!

foldedbird
11-09-2005, 11:06 PM
He's never going to try it on if you keep calling it.. I mean him little.

Ingrid
11-09-2005, 11:09 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

foldedbird
11-09-2005, 11:09 PM
:rollseyes: :lol:

KellyK
11-09-2005, 11:45 PM
:roflhard:

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 12:19 AM
There is no emoticon for my reaction.

rebecca
11-10-2005, 12:37 AM
He's never going to try it on if you keep calling it.. I mean him little.

so true so true :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling:

Okay...ahem, I have now pulled myself together...I think. Now I can proceed. I cast on for my next 1st for the month (makes my 3rd already...just WOW!!...I wonder what I would have knit had I known the topic in advance...willie warmers maybe :roflhard: :rofling: ) and this is the clapotis from knitty. I've never dared knit something in which I would voluntarily drop sts :shock: !! I haven't gotten to that part yet..that's tomorrow...I'm askeered :oo: but I will be brave :D . I must say that I LOVE :heart: :heart: this yarn!! SWTC's Karaoke..it's yummy!! Okay, for the photo, you will see what I knit today ... thru section 2 of the pattern; the dropping of sts begin tomorrow in section 3. I put the computer mouse in for size comparison.

I must say...I am LOVIN', just LOVIN' everybody's firsts!! This is a great KAL....WTG EVERYBODY :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000453.jpg

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 01:34 AM
My Harry Potter scarf was my first project on circulars. It's also about to be my first duplicate stitching and maybe my first fringe. I've been knitting it off and on since August, though, so I don't know if it counts in the challenge. :P

aprildavis99
11-10-2005, 03:32 AM
You guys really crack me up! :roflhard:

Rebecca, love that yarn.

Cate, of course it counts. The fringe and duplicate stictch make it count. :thumbsup:

Ingrid
11-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Rebecca! That yarn is delicious!!

foldedbird
11-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Lovely clapotis, Becca! Does anyone know how it's pronounced? I've heard "clap-oh-tee". I tend to pronounce it "clap-oh-tis".

P.S. your st markers kinda look like the novelty diaper pins you see at a baby shower.

KellyK
11-10-2005, 11:03 AM
P.S. your st markers kinda look like the novelty diaper pins you see at a baby shower.
:roflhard: That's what I told her in the Whatcha Knittin thread!! :roflhard:

I pronounce it "Clap Otis" (Like the name Otis....)

foldedbird
11-10-2005, 11:07 AM
hehe, KK. Interesting pronounciation. And an interesting choice of spelling on my part!

rebecca
11-10-2005, 11:58 AM
:roflhard: That's what I told her in the Whatcha Knittin thread!! :roflhard:

I pronounce it "Clap Otis" (Like the name Otis....)

:roflhard: Yeah and I said as if I would know what to do with diaper pins :roflhard: :rofling: LUVS, baby, LUVS...I tried cloth diapers...changed my mind FAST :roflhard: :rofling:
Thanks everyone...I so so love this yarn, I'm going to order some more so that I can do hat & fingerless gloves...it's so yum yum yummy to work with!!!
the correct pronunciation is clap :cheering: O teeeee (like cup of tea)..again....clap-o-teeee......Otis ain't wearing one :roflhard: :rofling:

KellyK
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
the correct pronunciation is clap :cheering: O teeeee (like cup of tea)..again....clap-o-teeee......Otis ain't wearing one :roflhard: :rofling:

He might if you made one in manly blues or black!! Poor Otis being banned from the clapotis! (If you say iy MY way, its funnier 'cause it rhymes!)

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 03:29 PM
My first fringe and some crappy stitching! :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-10-2005, 04:56 PM
yes, EVERYTHING counts if there's even the tiniest bit of a "first" in there.

Now, if you're saying "well, here's the billionth scarf I made, but this is the first one in RED!!!" that might be cheating a little.... But who cares!

DotMom61
11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
I must say that I LOVE :heart: :heart: this yarn!! SWTC's Karaoke..it's yummy!! Okay, for the photo, you will see what I knit today ... thru section 2 of the pattern; the dropping of sts begin tomorrow in section 3. I put the computer mouse in for size comparison.

Rebecca --

I bought some of that exact same Karaoke to make FT clogs for my DD for Christmas. That's Mermaid, isn't it??? Your shawl is beautiful -- can't wait to see it when it's finished!

And, I have stitch markers like that, too!

mintdee
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
submitting my first here :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/mintydee/finished%20objects/IM000022.jpg
My very first poncho made :)

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Ohhh, nice poncho, mintdee. I love that blue! It looks so soft!

I'm considering doing another "first," but I'm not sure how ambitious I feel. Would worsted weight socks come out funky? I've never done a sock before, but I'm not too keen on starting with actual sock yarn. Toooo tiny.

mintdee
11-10-2005, 07:06 PM
ww yarn works great :) Heres my first sock...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/mintydee/finished%20objects/IM000333.jpg
It was made with ww yarn and size 7 dpns.
Silvers tutorial is great for first timers!

*best Darth Vader voice* Come over to the dark side!

seriously you will love knitting socks :thumbsup:

DotMom61
11-10-2005, 07:09 PM
ww yarn works great :) Heres my first sock...It was made with ww yarn and size 7 dpns. Silvers tutorial is great for first timers!

(Love the ducky PJ's, Minty! :lol: )

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 07:13 PM
Hmmm...but then I'd have to go buy size 7s! I have 3s, 8s, and 10 1/2s.

mintdee
11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
hehehe thanks I also have a pair with sheep on them. I love them sooooo comfy :roflhard:

mintdee
11-10-2005, 07:16 PM
It buying a new set is a bad thing :shock: then.... um... maybe use the 8?

rebecca
11-10-2005, 08:09 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: I so :heart: :inlove: :heart: everyone's firsts!! YAY for everybody :happydance: :happydance:

Julie, yes, it's Mermaid...and I :heart: LOVE :heart: it ;) ...What can I say, great knitting minds think alike ;)

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 09:16 PM
It's only a bad thing because I can't afford it until next week. :oops:

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Bah. I read Silver's sock tutorial and there is NO WAY I can figure out how to do that. :oops:

KellyK
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Not with THAT attitude, you cant, Negative Nancy!! :roflhard:

:heart:

Seriously though, I find that if a WHOLE PATTERN looks overwhelming, it helps to just take it line by line, stitch by stitch. PLUS, you've got everyone here, including Silver HERSELF, to help you out! Give it a try, Cate! What's the worst that could happen!

*KK wiggling voodoo bravery fingers at Cate*

humblestumble
11-10-2005, 10:32 PM
hey even toe up socks are simple once you get it. Really, I could memorize the pattern. There's only one section where it's optional to pick up two stitches. There's decreases and increases, but it's pretty straight foward. I'm thinking of doing like Silver and making a sock tutorial for toe-ups maybe.

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 10:35 PM
I just read through the heel and everything and went :shock: and then :?? and then :doh: and then :wall:
Is toe-up more difficult?
I don't know why I'm so afraid of these! The only think that's really new to me is picking up stitches...Well, and slipping stitches, but how hard can THAT be. Wah. I just cast on for the cuff, but I don't know how this is going to go. :(

Ingrid
11-10-2005, 10:47 PM
What have you got to lose? Go for it. Do what the pattern tells you to do exactly and you'll have a sock. Don't read ahead, because you don't know what it is you are reading. It's like building a bike from a kit. If you read ahead, you have not clue.

One step at a time. Nut B on bolt B. Next step. . .

Same thing with a pattern you don't 'get'. Just do it one step at a time. You can't understand how the sock works until you see it done, trust me.

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Yes, Ms Ingrid. :blush: I'll try.
My Dad always taught me to read all my instructions before doing anything and it usually makes sense...But I usually apply that to things that would matter more if I screwed them up (like building a desk lol).
How long do you all tend to make your cuffs? I know that's a preference thing, I'm just curious.

KellyK
11-10-2005, 11:03 PM
:cheering: YAYYYYYY!!!! My voodoo finger-wiggling worked!! :cheering:

About the cuff.... 4"???

amy
11-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Wow, this KAL is so fun!

Cate, don't be afraid, I agree with Ingy. I TOTALLY remember my first sock, and yeah, I just did it step by step. In the end, I thought, "Umm...How'd I do that again?!" :?? But I was absolutely psyched, because it actually looked like a sock! I still have it. I knit it with too bulky yarn on smaller needles, and I swear it's denser than my felted slippers I'm wearing right now, and about as flexible as a shoe. :lol: But it was my pride and joy for some time. :D If it helps, I do have a video on how to do the heel, in Advanced Techniques. ;)

(KK, nice going with the voodoo fingers there! :lol:)

CateKnits
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
I remembered seeing that video, but I'm afraid to mix that with this tutorial! Heh. I guess either I'll end up with a sock, or I won't, right? ;)

amy
11-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Perhaps I should double check. I believe that Silver's tutorial uses the same method I do for the heel. (Right? Anyone?) ...Don't want to confuse you!

Jazzmatazz
11-10-2005, 11:26 PM
I made a practice sock using silver's tutorial, and believe me, you can do it. Her instructions with pictures for picking up stitches are very clear. Even if you did have problems, it's not like you're investing a huge amount of time or yarn. I'm waiting for my sock yarn and teensy DPNs to get here so I can make a real pair of socks!

Ingrid
11-11-2005, 12:13 AM
If the sock doesn't work out, it can be a dress for the hamster. ;)

Have you come across this yet in your browsing around here?:

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 12:21 AM
Ahh! That's so CUTE!
I want to make something for Momo, but I don't know what I could (safely) make a hamster. :thinking:

Ingrid
11-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Nature already gave hamsters clothing! ;)

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 12:34 AM
Nature gave most of us hats, too, but that doesn't stop us from improving on them. :P

rebecca
11-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Bah. I read Silver's sock tutorial and there is NO WAY I can figure out how to do that. :oops:

YOU can do it :D !! I, too was absolutely PETRIFIED of dpns...I mean really, really scared! I watched a video on knitty gritty and that is when it made :figureditout: sense to me, then I gave it a go...I have my first very holey sock in my drawer, doesn't even have a mate bc I didn't want a mate to go with my very holey sock :D ! But since then I've stepped out & knit more & more socks, it really makes sense the farther along in the pattern that you get, it all comes together in your mind as u watch the sock coming together!! I was AMAZED that I was actually doing what I was doing as the sock was taking shape. Now, I'm a sock knitting addict ;)

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 12:48 AM
It's not the double pointeds that worry me; I've been playing with those for a few months now. It's the heel/gusset that's making me shudder! I just finished the heel flap and am trying to make a heel out of it...I had to read the directions out loud to my roommate twice before I could figure out what I needed to do. :rollseyes:

rebecca
11-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Oh, you are about to be so EXCITED when it begins to take shape :cheering: :cheering: YAY for you :D

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Okay, I turned the heel and now I'm at the point where I'm suppose to pick up the edges...But I think my slipped stitches are..not right. I can see them on the edge, but not on the edge I'm supposed to be using.
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Gusset.htm
Help? lol I don't know how to explain what I need, but, uhhh, if you have any way to clarify these painfully clear instructions, my poor brain could use it. :heart:

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Nevermind, I got it. I hope.

DotMom61
11-11-2005, 01:15 AM
Yay, Cate!!! I haven't tried the sock tutorial yet, but can't wait 'til I have time!! It's fun watching you go through this, and I'm totally jealous of the fact that you live with someone who will listen to you read knitting instructions. :roflhard:

Can't wait to see the finished sock!!

Go Cate :happydance: Go Cate :happydance: Go Cate :happydance:

Julie
11-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Well, I quelled my sick knitting urge today by making a Christmas stocking. And since that no longer counts as something new, I charted and knit a snowflake pattern around it. Only two colors, but my first stranding work ever. I used the Bourgeois method (one color in each hand) and I learned that I have a different gauge depending on whether I pick or throw. So it's a little wonky, but I did it!

I'd post a pic but I really want to block it first! :D

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Ohhh, I can't wait to see it, Julie!

And my roommate and I learned to knit together (our RA last year taught us), so we help each other out sometimes...which usually equates to her helping me learn things because I can never figure it out from diagrams. :rollseyes:
I'm on the long part now! I'm glad I have a small foot (and only one hour of class in the morning!) because I'm determined to finish this before I go to bed.

Julie
11-11-2005, 02:19 AM
See? It wasn't that hard!! :D

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 03:47 AM
I should probably go to bed now instead of starting the second one...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-11-2005, 06:00 AM
omg cate that R O C K S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:heart: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :heart:

KellyK
11-11-2005, 09:12 AM
CATE!!! You finished your first ever sock in ONE evening?!?!?! :shock: And, justa couple hours earlier you were SKEERED of them! YOU are AWESOME!!!!! :notworthy:

Stonington
11-11-2005, 09:49 AM
I should probably go to bed now instead of starting the second one...
3 HRS! ... :cheering: mine took months! CONGRATULATIONS!

Ingrid
11-11-2005, 10:23 AM
I just read through the heel and everything and went :shock: and then :?? and then :doh: and then :wall:
Is toe-up more difficult?
I don't know why I'm so afraid of these! The only think that's really new to me is picking up stitches...Well, and slipping stitches, but how hard can THAT be. Wah. I just cast on for the cuff, but I don't know how this is going to go. :(

Ahem!! May I remind you?

:cheering: :cheering: Great job!!!! See!!!!! You're a Master at this!

DotMom61
11-11-2005, 10:34 AM
http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/happy/1074.gif All right, Cate!!! That looks fabulous, and it FITS!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-11-2005, 10:48 AM
now where's the other one???? Quit goin to class and studying and all that junk... KNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie
11-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Cate, you hard core knitter, you....I think it's stime to start that sweater. Make a kid one...they don't take very long! :D

punkhippiemom
11-11-2005, 12:35 PM
:cheering: :cheering:
Awesome perfect beautiful sock. Way to go!

rebecca
11-11-2005, 02:15 PM
WAY TO GO CATE :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: I never had a doubt :D

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Thank you, thank you *takes a bow*
I think after that thing, I'm ready to try anything. Provided I can find lots of pictures on how to do it. :P Seriously, though, I'm less afraid to start that sweater now. Well, I'm still afraid of it financially, but....
Hey, if I finish the other one, I can get another first! My first *pair* of socks. :P Hehehe.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-11-2005, 02:55 PM
if you buy your yarn through knitpicks, it can be elcheapo!

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Yes, but I'm never felt anything from knitpicks, so I'm not sure I'm going to want to buy enough to make a sweater when I don't know if it will be itchy.
I suppose I could buy some for a smaller project first, but...but I want to make SOCKS now!

MaryS
11-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Cate,

Knitpicks has some AWESOME sock yarns, and you could pick up a color card to check out yarn for a sweater at the same time!! Maybe merino!

Always willing to assist with stash enhancement ideas! :D :D

Mary

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Okay, I'm about to start the second sock...but now I have to admit something sad: after swearing I would not spend any more money on yarn until after my birthday, I went to the LYS and bought more worsted weight yarn (for another pair of socks and maybe mittens), smaller DPNs, and....sock yarn. :roflhard:
I hope you know you're all enablers!

KellyK
11-11-2005, 06:45 PM
And PROUD of it!! :roflhard:

rebecca
11-11-2005, 07:32 PM
VERY :D PROUD OF OUR ENABLING ABILITIES :notworthy:

punkhippiemom
11-11-2005, 08:00 PM
I cast on my first lace project tonight!
:happydance:
Turning out quite nicely, if I do say so myslf... but the tiny yarn.. :help: It requires just a tad more concentration... ;)

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Ohhhh, I can't wait to see a picture of the lace! *hint hint* ;)

punkhippiemom
11-11-2005, 09:43 PM
:) It looks pretty good (if I say so myself ;) ) but the pics don't look that great... I'm going to wait until the a.m. so I can get some natural light,see if that helps any.

foldedbird
11-11-2005, 10:04 PM
WTG Cate!!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
11-11-2005, 10:11 PM
LOOKY LOOKY! My FIRST (completed) SOCK!!! :cheering:

Part of a baby set with Knitpicks Simple Stripes in Crayon...

CateKnits
11-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Nice sock, KK, you little enabler.

I'm 2/3 finished with my second one. It's about to be my first pair. :D

Jan in CA
11-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Oh Kelly I love it! Such pretty colors! I had to rip mine of the DPNs twice now..gotta start again. :rollseyes: :doh: Did you do the cute hat, booties and scarf on DPNs?

KellyK
11-12-2005, 12:53 AM
I did the booties on DPNs, the hat on a circ (until it was too small, then switched to DPNs) and I didnt do a scarf at all! :lol:

D
11-12-2005, 02:39 AM
ahh now you all have me wanting to make socks.. nooooo. Must.. focus.. on.. bag

foldedbird
11-12-2005, 03:52 AM
Bags are evil... knit socks!

Andrea
11-12-2005, 10:45 AM
I am on my gusset on my first sock ever. I am sooooooo loving it!! Unfortunately I am computer illiterate...no pics :rollseyes:

CateKnits
11-12-2005, 03:33 PM
My first pair is finished! :D I don't think they look too horrible...They fit, too! I made them with worsted weight on size 8s so they would be a little big and comfy. I'm definitely not putting them in shoes!
I made them with Encore Colorspun, but it's kind of hard to see the blue in the pictures. It's a couple different shades of blue with off-white. I know I didn't start with the same color so they don't "match," but I wanted to remember which was my first one for ever and ever, so that's a good thing! :P
I think I'm going to try some with smaller needles before I go for the ones with little tiny sock yarn.

Julie
11-12-2005, 04:56 PM
Way to go KK!! Don't the tiny socks go so much quicker then grown-up-sized ones?? :D

And yay Cate! Ha sanyone said "I told you so!" yet? (we mean that in the best possible way)

knitqueen
11-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Okay, I feel like this is cheating as far as a 'first', because I HAVE knit socks before, but this is the first pair of socks that I am knitting in tandem. Both at the same time...not like 2 socks on 2 circs or anything, I'm just going back and forth, completing each portion of each sock one after the other so they will virtually be finished at the same time. Here is the first completed socks. The second one is nearly done. I will never do it any other way again.

Oh, I am making them for my sister's birthday in January, and used Regia Jacquard Sock Yarn (http://www.applehollow.com/regiapatterns.html) in the color way called "Eskimo". I loved this yarn and the stripe pattern.

rebecca
11-12-2005, 05:57 PM
WTG SOCK PEOPLE!!!! You make my proud :mrgreen: and every so happy :D ....fyi, knitting socks in tandem ROCKS :thumbsup:

KellyK
11-12-2005, 10:06 PM
I wonder if there's any genetic connection between CLOG PEOPLE and SOCK PEOPLE? You know...like how we share 93% of our human DNA with chimps??

CateKnits
11-12-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't know...I think I like this sock thing, but I have no desire to try those scary clogs. And that's only partially due to my selfish need to knit for me (I have enough slippers :D).

foldedbird
11-13-2005, 01:00 AM
I think that CLOG people (especially those who bought sixty-something skeins of wota for xmas presents) have 100% of their DNA in common with chimps.

Jazzmatazz
11-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I have my doubts that clogs will be warmly embraced by all the recipients of gift clogs. I love making them, and I even like wearing them, but other people don't seem to be as enamored. Maybe I just know all the wrong people. :D

I just bought that book shaped like a sock called "Knit Socks!" by Betsy McCarthy. Many of her socks call for using two strands of yarn if you're using real sock yarn. What do you think about using just one strand? I ordered yarn from knitpicks to make socks, and only ordered 2 skeins for each pair, will that be enough? Do I really need to double the yarn?

Ingrid
11-13-2005, 10:36 AM
I think that CLOG people (especially those who bought sixty-something skeins of wota for xmas presents) have 100% of their DNA in common with chimps.

:roflhard: Denise, you are SOO freakin' bad! :roflhard:

KellyK
11-13-2005, 11:17 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Im not even gonna TRY to come up with a response wittier than that one! You got me GOOD, Deni!! :notworthy:

And, Jazz....its all about the gauge....two strands is going to give you fewer sts per inch than one strand. If you knit the same sock with one strand on the needle size that's called for, you are going to end up with a little bitty (and thin) sock.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-13-2005, 11:31 AM
FUNNY Deni!!!!!

Cate, your socks rock. AWESOME job!!!

KnitQueen, I like your socks! And I like that they'll both be done at the same time!!!

Here's my first.... My first attempt at double knitting, AND my first time doing a fringe (whoopee). I should not have use a double strand of each color, because when I finally got into the K-P rhythm, I found that I would inadvertantly pick up one strand of the wrong color sometimes, plus it made it kind of lumpy in the middle, but you can't tell from the pic. This is also the first red and green chrsitmassy type thing I've knit (prolly the last). I do like the double knitting, though!!!

Stanley joined in the pictures :-)

punkhippiemom
11-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Pretty!!
And VERY Christmas-y ;)
I looove doubleknitting - well, not right now, but in general it's fun. WTG!

:shock: Is Stanley smiling or about to eat you??

KellyK
11-13-2005, 12:22 PM
:cheering: YAYYYYYY HILD! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-13-2005, 01:05 PM
he was yawning... apparently I am boring when I knit!

foldedbird
11-13-2005, 04:30 PM
I LOVE you, KK. I just could NOT resist that one.