PDA

View Full Version : yarn snob

Carol_OH
11-03-2005, 04:34 PM
it's official - I've become a yarn snob.

I cannot knit with cheap acrylic anymore. The good stuff is just so much more lovely, tactile, gorgeous, yummy, wonderful ....

oh woe is me wallet!

:blush:

brendajos
11-03-2005, 04:44 PM
yyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuupp....i couldn't imagine not being happy with the selection at Hobby Lobby...

until i went to my first LYS......i have never looked back :rollseyes:

Ellen Edwards
11-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Uh Oh!! I know how you feel , Carol!! I have a hold tub of acrylic yarn in my craft room that I don't know what I'll do with!! I used to feel satisfied with having it until I got to know people who knitted with REAL fibers!! (Ahem, KH-ers!!You know who you are!)
Now, I think I'll probably knit up lap robes or baby afghans which need washing often anyway with the acrylics, and save save save up for the good stuff that feels, smells and knits up so yummily!

MaryS
11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Trudy,

Just wanted to say:HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
:present: :balloons: :present: :balloons:

Mary

KellyK
11-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Im lucky that Knitpicks makes it affordable to be a yarn snob!! :(

Julie
11-03-2005, 05:41 PM
I hear ya. I have two skeins of Lion Jiffy that I bought in February constantly staring at me from my yarn shelf. But I can't bear to knit with it. :rollseyes:

rebecca
11-03-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm a yarn snob, too...I shop @ either Knitpicks or kpixie.com which has my 'treat' yarns like the SouthWest Trading Co yarns and all sorts of cool & pretty & snazzy stuff! FYI, if u sign up to receive their newsletter...you get 10% off 1st order ;) I love that yarn...Karaoke is my fave. Of course...now when we talk about knitpicks...I have many boxes of just knitpicks yarn under the bed...one with just sock yarn...I am a yarn ho, I mean snob.. ;)

KnittinKitten
11-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Oh, Rebecca -- "a yarn ho"!!! That's too purrfect ... I may have to steal that description!

:XX:

Ingrid
11-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I have to agree , there are some yarns I just can't imagine ever knitting with again which were once ok. It's kind of like drinking instant coffee after grinding your own fresh beans and making good coffee for a while. There's no going back.

Vendie
11-03-2005, 07:17 PM
I have to agree , there are some yarns I just can't imagine ever knitting with again which were once ok. It's kind of like drinking instant coffee after grinding your own fresh beans and making good coffee for a while. There's no going back.

It's like going back to my Toyota with a crack in the windshield after riding in a BMW with heated seats. It just hurts.

I'll put this offer out to those who have yarn in their stash that they don't think they'll knit with, but don't know what to do with it: I belong to a knitting group at work and we make blankets/afghans for a local hospital. We generally use all that acrylic stuff because it's machine washable and affordable. Also, there might be allergy issues to the natural fibers. We don't get any club funds from work and rely on our members to buy their own yarn. If any of you would like to donate your yarn to this cause, send me a PM. We'd be very grateful for the donations.

gimmesanity
11-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Yes, welcome to our world. I used to shop at Michael's for my yarn, and once I while I still go to AC Moore, but it's almost always knitpicks and LYS finds for me. I'm not even going to get into how much yarnage I have in my closet - and I still think about planning my next trip to the LYS.

I'm a snobbish ho....kinda like one of those really expensive street walkers, only with yarn :?? hmmm.....

Lacedolphin
11-03-2005, 07:54 PM
i'm a yarn john then!! :roflhard: I'm stuck knitting with crap cause I can't afford anything good. :crying:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-03-2005, 08:38 PM
yes you can lacedolphin!!!! Knitpicks makes it VERY EASY to sell yourself for yarn :-)

I'm totally a yarn snob. It's actually like I'm a knitpicks snob... every time I see yarn I want, I think "oh, but I can use _______ yarn from knitpicks for a TON cheaper!"

Carol_OH
11-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I'll put this offer out to those who have yarn in their stash that they don't think they'll knit with, but don't know what to do with it: I belong to a knitting group at work and we make blankets/afghans for a local hospital. We generally use all that acrylic stuff because it's machine washable and affordable. Also, there might be allergy issues to the natural fibers. We don't get any club funds from work and rely on our members to buy their own yarn. If any of you would like to donate your yarn to this cause, send me a PM. We'd be very grateful for the donations.

this is a terrific idea! I'll pm you as I have some things I can donate!

BinkyKat
11-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Great idea FG! If I ever get on the ball(of yarn)I plan to use my acrylic (bought on purpose for ease of care) for kennel blankies for my local humane society. Something always cuts into my time for getting on that project...

I am a yarn snob too. I do get some a HL and Michaels but I go ga ga over Yarn Shop merchandise! I look in the yellow pages and online for shops to visit when I go to the Twin Cities... I would love to work in one. Maybe someday when I gain experience... sigh :thumbsup:

AidanM
11-04-2005, 02:29 AM
I've touched the yummy stuff, and even used it, but I guess I'm just a hardcore cheapo 'cause I still like my acrylics for everyday use.

KellyK
11-04-2005, 08:16 AM
I've touched the yummy stuff, and even used it

This gets filed under "things that SOUND dirty, but they're NOT."

:shifty:

AidanM
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
...I guess I'll understand that better when I'm older. :rofling:

feministmama
11-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Kelly, you so funny :roflhard:

feministmama
11-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Oh wait I was also gonna say, I'm a recovering yarn snob. I was bad. really bad. Even making fun of people who used acrylic. Gasp. But I have read a lot of Buddhist texts, revisited Martin Luther King's peices on Beloved Community and embraced peace and love in my life. That said, I have gone back for a dip in the acrylic pool. They have done some amazing things with acrylic these days. :cheering: I have partaken of the Caron line and the TLC lines that are 100% acrylic but feel really soft. My newest cheapo love affair is with Joanne Fabrics Angel Hair. So lusciously soft you'd sweat it was mohair. But its not. And at $4.99 a skein you can affrod to knit with it more. So that's my story. I just hope y'all can learn something..........

KellyK
11-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Im no expert, but I dont recall MLK ever talking about yarn! :roflhard:

snephenie
11-05-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm a knitpicks snob. For the bags and hats I sell, I ONLY use knitpicks.

The only time you will see me in Michaels is for the novelty type yarn (bling bling, fun fur, etc)

knitting4babybear
11-05-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm actively avoiding being a yarn snob.

I just bought a bag of bright yellow acrylic (that I'm hoping is at least soft :pray: ), just to get yarn at a normal price (meaning I don't end up spending so much that I end up thinking of all the other practical things I should have done with the money. :rollseyes: ) and to stay mindful that I don't have to knit with premium yarn.

I'm trying to stay close to the 'hood, and remember where I came from.

:roflhard:

Ingrid
11-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Oh yeah, people in the 'hood are known for their bright yellow acrylic sweaters!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

hedgehog
11-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Im no expert, but I dont recall MLK ever talking about yarn! :roflhard:

You never know... He might have had a dream....

A dream that one day little acrylic skeins and little natural skeins would be used with equal abandon by all knitters....

A dream that one day a skein of yarn will be measured not by the content of its fibers but by the measure of its softness....

-hh

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-05-2005, 08:50 PM
:rofl: hedge!

knitting4babybear
11-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Oh yeah, people in the 'hood are known for their bright yellow acrylic sweaters!! :roflhard: :roflhard:

Yup. It's a solidarity gesture inspired by MLK and his dreamy yarn speech.... :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-05-2005, 09:14 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

mintdee
11-06-2005, 12:23 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:
I could actually hear MLKs voice in my head when I read that. :roflhard:

Carol_OH
11-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Hey, I just decided to add onto this thread since well I started it plus I have a weird thing about starting new threads when they can otherwise be added on to.

Anyhooo, (serious post folks) - someone I know won't knit with wool because of ethics. This person is a vegan, and won't knit with wool because of her veganism and because of the inhumane ways sheep can be/are treated.

Anyone know anything about this? Are there certain companies/brands that are more wholistic/friendly than others?

Just wondering!

*and I'm still giggling over your posts up there!*

KellyK
11-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Carol....I would go for hemp. Or soysilk.

And, BTW....Im all worried that Femmy's gonna have a FIT and we're ALL GOIN TO HELL for making fun of MLK! Please let's hurry and add a disclaimer stating our absolute admiration for MLK....he stood for and did things that most would never have the courage or strength to even think of!

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't know about any particular brand, but there is a practice that has been considered unhumane involving Merino sheep. Because they have wrinkly skin, and they are born with an especially large flap near their tails, it has to be removed or they are suseptible to some kind of nasty parasite which will kill the lamb. For generations, the piece of skin has just been sliced off. People have recently begun to protest the practice, PETA has been involved, and I believe the article said that there has been an agreement to stop it by a certain date--a couple of years from now, I think.

If it is just shearing, I don't think that would be considered inhumane, since for the Merinos, at least, they've been bred to grow so much fleece that they wouldn't be able to stand under the weight of it after a while.

I think a lot of farm practices that have been routine for generations could be considered inhumane by non-farmers, but I'm sure there is rhyme and reason for all of it.

Carol_OH
11-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Carol....I would go for hemp. Or soysilk.

oh I'm not about to stop knitting w/wool! I just need to find out if the places I get wool from are pretty humane. I'm a meat eater, and try to eat meat from free-range type places, for instance, but I'm not getting on a soapbox or anything

Plus acrylic doesn't decompose easily whereas wool does.

Everyone of us has to pick our battles.

*arm wrestles with KK for the fun of it! :D *

Carol_OH
11-06-2005, 12:44 AM
I don't know about any particular brand, but there is a practice that has been considered unhumane involving Merino sheep. Because they have wrinkly skin, and they are born with an especially large flap near their tails, it has to be removed or they are suseptible to some kind of nasty parasite which will kill the lamb. For generations, the piece of skin has just been sliced off. People have recently begun to protest the practice, PETA has been involved, and I believe the article said that there has been an agreement to stop it by a certain date--a couple of years from now, I think.

If it is just shearing, I don't think that would be considered inhumane, since for the Merinos, at least, they've been bred to grow so much fleece that they wouldn't be able to stand under the weight of it after a while.

I think a lot of farm practices that have been routine for generations could be considered inhumane by non-farmers, but I'm sure there is rhyme and reason for all of it.

thanks for the info, Ingrid - I'm gonna do some more research!

Emeraldcutie
11-06-2005, 12:58 AM
I too would like to be a yarn snob, but the budget just doesn't allow, and the last batch I got from a farmer in New Brunswick, make me itch something fierce. I did however find the softest acrylic I have touched on the weekend. It was the Bernat Satin, a $2 a ball its in my budget and feels nice also.

KellyK
11-06-2005, 01:25 AM
OH! I misunderstood! I thought your friend was looking for humane wool alternatives! OW! My arm HURTS now, Carol! Im a knitter, not a fighter... :roflhard:

The only thing Ive heard is to NOT buy wool from Australia....PETA seems to be focusing its efforts there.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2005, 03:07 AM
hmmm, i like australia.

hedgehog
11-06-2005, 11:02 AM
For the record, i was by no means taking a nasty swipe at MLK. Had i been alive at time, i would have been marching along side him with the rest of my family. :heart:

Sorry if i offended, Femmy! It was just a joke, not a political statement by any means! :)

-hh

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 11:17 AM
OH! I misunderstood! I thought your friend was looking for humane wool alternatives! OW! My arm HURTS now, Carol! Im a knitter, not a fighter... :roflhard:

The only thing Ive heard is to NOT buy wool from Australia....PETA seems to be focusing its efforts there.

I think Australia is the focus because that's where most Merino sheep are raised. I almost think the article I read was in the latest Vogue or Interweave Knits. I'll have to look for it.

knitting4babybear
11-06-2005, 11:42 AM
For the record, i was by no means taking a nasty swipe at MLK. Had i been alive at time, i would have been marching along side him with the rest of my family. :heart:

Sorry if i offended, Femmy! It was just a joke, not a political statement by any means! :)

-hh

Uh oh....neither was I...obviously. :(

Is Femmy mad?

Femmy? Feeeemmy?

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 11:43 AM
I think she went to Australia to check out lamb abuse!

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Here (http://woolisbest.com/animal_welfare/mulesing/) is an article about the practice of Mulesing. The article I read was in the latest Vogue and they had this listed as a resource.

kemp
11-07-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm a yarn snob, too...I shop @ either Knitpicks or kpixie.com which has my 'treat' yarns like the SouthWest Trading Co yarns and all sorts of cool & pretty & snazzy stuff! FYI, if u sign up to receive their newsletter...you get 10% off 1st order ;) I love that yarn...Karaoke is my fave. Of course...now when we talk about knitpicks...I have many boxes of just knitpicks yarn under the bed...one with just sock yarn...I am a yarn ho, I mean snob.. ;)

Rebecca...you need this ;) Yarn Ho (http://www.cafepress.com/knitty/617857/?pid=3924697)

feministmama
11-07-2005, 12:22 PM
someone I know won't knit with wool because of ethics. This person is a vegan, and won't knit with wool because of her veganism and because of the inhumane ways sheep can be/are treated.

Ya know I was just talkin to someone about this the other day. THe thing I don't get is *if* you get sheep that *are* humanly treated can you use that wool? Or do you just use acrylic as a protest to all sheep cuz shaving thier wool is inhumane period? Then this other issue was brought up. Acrylic is made out of petrolium and bad icky chemicals that harmthe environment so isn't that just as bad? It seems like the line gets drawn narrower and narrower. You can't do anything anymore. Well, anyway, I know where my boundaries are and I am comfortable with that and I guess the answer is to not step on anyone elses. :thinking:

feministmama
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM

-hh

Who took a nasty swipe at MLK? I thought the whole thing was funny. I mena I was being funny (sort of) about being less judgmental about folks who used acrylic (and in general) and the guidance for that came from MLK. Then Kelly (who else) started with funny jokes. No offense taken over here (except using words about prostitution to describe love of knitting irks me - or describing something as tacky as "ghetto"is insulting to those of us actually from the "ghetto" but whatcha gonna do)

brendajos
11-07-2005, 12:28 PM
well that's kind of how i feel about eating free range stuff. is it better that they were living out their happy little lives eating and wandering whatever and whereever they want only to have their heads lopped off anyway?

it is healthier food for us to eat but i am not sure that is more humane.....well it is because then you don't have a thousand chickens inside a space no bigger than my closet, but it still seems cruel to sneak up on them like that! :rollseyes:

aaaaanyway....

knitting4babybear
11-07-2005, 12:43 PM

-hh

Who took a nasty swipe at MLK? I thought the whole thing was funny. I mena I was being funny (sort of) about being less judgmental about folks who used acrylic (and in general) and the guidance for that came from MLK. Then Kelly (who else) started with funny jokes. No offense taken over here (except using words about prostitution to describe love of knitting irks me - or describing something as tacky as "ghetto"is insulting to those of us actually from the "ghetto" but whatcha gonna do)

Sorry. I take license sometimes I'm from the ghetto myself, and because I never take offense to it, but you're right. :thumbsup:

Carol_OH
11-07-2005, 12:59 PM
.... Then this other issue was brought up. Acrylic is made out of petrolium and bad icky chemicals that harmthe environment so isn't that just as bad? It seems like the line gets drawn narrower and narrower. You can't do anything anymore. Well, anyway, I know where my boundaries are and I am comfortable with that and I guess the answer is to not step on anyone elses. :thinking:

exactly! that's why I just pick my own battles - I try to do the greenest and most humane things in my daily life, and then sometimes I'll umm go to Mickey's Dees or Walmart. I hope that the good stuff I do counteracts those few bad things.