PDA

View Full Version : Good LYS in Indy?

earthchick
11-05-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm leaving tomorrow for a 10 day conference in Indianapolis. I've stocked up on all the yarn and needles I think I will need while I'm there, but I'm feeling all anxious that if I really need something more I won't know where to get it. (which is kind of crazy since I'm sure I'm bringing far more than I will actually have time to work on). Anyway, just in case, can anyone in the Indy area recommend a great LYS for me? Some of the other women who come to this conference usually go to Hobby Lobby, but I'm too much of a yarn snob for that.

I'll be in Beech Grove but am willing to drive wherever! Suggestions?

Ingrid
11-05-2005, 05:00 PM
Good lord! What addicts we are! Lets bring more yarn than we can possibly use, AND have a place to buy more JUST IN CASE. Now mind you, I'm not making fun, I just thing it's so funny how alike we think. If I were ever to go on a trip, that would be my FIRST priority. Heck, even when I've gone to the emergency room for family members, What To Knit was a prime consideration!

Back to your question . . . . .

Vendie
11-05-2005, 05:18 PM
Oh earthchick, are there good yarn stores in Indy...

Well I would definitely check out Mass Ave Knit Shop - it's right off of I-65/70 in downtown Indianapolis - on Virginia Ave. It's huge, they have tons of yarn and books and prices are reasonable. They also have a WHOLE ROOM devoted to yarn on sale!!! If you only have time to check out one store that would be it my friend. I will warn you that it's a tad bit chaotic in there as there are only 2 employees ever working and they're both juggling phones, the "register" (a calculator and a credit card maching), and answering the bagillion cutomers' questions. But it's well worth it.

If you have time to drive a little bit, I would also check out Sheep Street down in Morgantown on SR252. It's a little bit farther south, so it might be too far for you to drive, but it's such a nice store. It doesn't have the selection that Mass Ave has, but it's nestled in the countryside and they have like 90 sheep and 2 llamas living on the property. They have a special focus on spinning and weaving, but have lots of scrumptious yarn for knitting as well.

There's another store on the northside of Indy that's nice, but I wouldn't venture all that way for it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me!

KellyK
11-05-2005, 05:25 PM
IM JEALOUS!!!!!

Vendie
11-05-2005, 05:28 PM
KK, if you ever want to see these places (gee, that kinda sounded like a threat), you have a place to stay! And like you said, it's only 3 hours ;)

I believe Mass Ave is having a Knit In next weekend....(that's when they lock the doors and you're stuck there all night knitting - doesn't that sound heavenly?)

earthchick
11-05-2005, 06:00 PM
I knew you folks would understand! FiberGirl, THANK YOU for the great tips. Those places sound so awesome that I may have to pop out to one of them even if I don't run out. :happydance: Thank you, thank you!!!

So I'm packing enough yarn to finish the 3 projects I'm currently working on, plus enough yarn for 6 more projects on my list, and still I keep wishing I had bought one more skein of Manos just in case I have time to do a hat for dh. As if it is remotely possible for me to finish 9 projects in 10 days! (esp. when one of them is a NEBB similar to KK's). :rollseyes:

At least I know I'm not alone in my addiction. :lol:

KellyK
11-05-2005, 06:12 PM
KK, if you ever want to see these places (gee, that kinda sounded like a threat), you have a place to stay! And like you said, it's only 3 hours ;)

I believe Mass Ave is having a Knit In next weekend....(that's when they lock the doors and you're stuck there all night knitting - doesn't that sound heavenly?)

That DOES sound heavenly, and I really am gonna plan a weekend as soon as humanly possible!!