PDA

View Full Version : handpainted wool on eBay - I can't believe the price!

earthchick
11-06-2005, 09:28 AM
Someone on another bulletin board posted about this last night and I couldn't believe it till I checked it out myself. Of course I went ahead and immediately bought some. nevermind that I just bought 6 hanks of Manos handpainted multicolor yarn yesterday....

Anyway, check out the seller 100purewool, and sort his/her wool by price (do lowest first). 3 skeins for $8!! :shock: It's like 600 yards!!! I don't know if there's a catch, if it's a mistake, or what. :thinking: But I snatched up some of that yumminess right away.

Here's the one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8231120950. :inlove:

rebecca
11-06-2005, 11:50 AM
That's yummilicious yarn :drooling: !!! I am actually working with some yarn that I saw & bought on EBAy...why did I buy this yarn several months ago with no project in mind? Cause it was purdy & I liked it...and now I have the perfect project (hat to match my Branching OUt scarf i just finished). And you will have the perfect project for your yummy find ;)

wildforyarn
11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
I have admired the yarn from that same seller, but have yet to purchase. I think only because I am cheap and don't want to pay for the $9.00 shipping, but I think with the cost of the yarn, it all balances out anyway. hmmm, maybe I should take a trip back to ebay! ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2005, 07:56 PM
let us know when you get it if it really is as soft as the seller claims... I don't care how good a deal yarn looks like, if it isn't soft it's not worth it (to me).

Julie
11-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I've had that seller on my favorites list for a while but haven't ordered yet -- I just go and drool over all of the colorways -- I'd be curious to hear how soft it is too!

kemp
11-07-2005, 10:36 AM
oooh! I can't wait for you to give us a report!

feministmama
11-07-2005, 12:31 PM
What does the little "c" next to the price mean? :??

brendajos
11-07-2005, 12:34 PM
well i thought it was canadian but if i recall correctly the product is coming from Uruguay isn't it?

anyway it is foreign funds one way or another

Julie
11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
May have to do with your settings... mine says:

US $8.00 (Approximately C $9.45)

KristiMetz
11-07-2005, 02:39 PM
I heard on another board that the seller ended the listings early because the prices were a typo. Bummer, I was going to get some!!!

brendajos
11-07-2005, 02:40 PM
well i was wondering about that because it didn't match the prices of their other auctions at all!

jelly
11-07-2005, 03:13 PM
I heard on another board that the seller ended the listings early because the prices were a typo. Bummer, I was going to get some!!!

the items are still listed

brendajos
11-07-2005, 03:18 PM
yah but i think they are all about three times the cost

brendajos
11-07-2005, 03:20 PM
well actually i was just looking and there are others that are at that lower price too.....odd....doesn't seem to be tooooooo much rhyme or reason to their pricing but i am probably just too impatient to figger it out!

kimmie
11-07-2005, 03:25 PM
I think that the difference in pricing has to do with how many ounces you get, but I could be wrong.

kimmie

Julie
11-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Yes, it looks like the $8 ones are for single skeins.

earthchick
11-07-2005, 03:29 PM
:( Turns out it was a mistake. The seller listed the skeins wrong - they are $8 per skein, so the amount I bought was supposed to be $24. Since I was only buying it b/c it was so dirt cheap, and not b/c I really needed it, I'm going to cancel the purchase. I got a nice email from the seller, offering to give me a discounted price on 3 skeins, but I just can't justify the purchase after the ginormous bag of yarn I bought on Saturday. Oh well. :rollseyes:

:waving: Hi KristiMetz! (I recognize you from the other board, where I first found out about this eBay auction).

brendajos
11-07-2005, 03:32 PM
yeah but that's what's weird. this auction says that it is 3 skeins for around $8. Another that i am looking says it is 9 skeins of the same stuff, just different colors with the same weight per skein listed and the price is $82. Seems to me that if i am getting 3x as much yarn it shouldn't cost me what....10 times as much?

odd :thinking:

brendajos
11-07-2005, 03:33 PM
:( Turns out it was a mistake. The seller listed the skeins wrong - they are $8 per skein, so the amount I bought was supposed to be $24. Since I was only buying it b/c it was so dirt cheap, and not b/c I really needed it, I'm going to cancel the purchase. I got a nice email from the seller, offering to give me a discounted price on 3 skeins, but I just can't justify the purchase after the ginormous bag of yarn I bought on Saturday. Oh well. :rollseyes:

:waving: Hi KristiMetz! (I recognize you from the other board, where I first found out about this eBay auction).

well that explains my befuddlement BUT wasn't that a completed auction? didn't you do BIN? if you did isn't the seller required to sell it to you anyway? you would be required to buy it if the mistake had been on your end!

feministmama
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
brendajos is right. If it says $8 for three skeins (which some of them still do. One even says 9 skeins!) Then she should sell you three skeins for $8. I would SOOOO demand my 3 skeins for $8. If she put ina typo that's her problem. HRUMPH!

earthchick
11-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Hmm. :thinking: I guess you're right. I just feel kind of bad for the person, because she did multiple auctions this way and I don't know how much of a loss she would end up taking if we all demanded the listed price. (I had already even paid through PayPal!).

It's not like I really need more yarn right now, anyway, so I'm okay just cancelling the order....

feministmama
11-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Geez I looked at my response and I thought "What a mean spirited jerk you are!" Earthchick you have some good Karma coming your way. Ignore me. :rollseyes:

earthchick
11-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Yay, I could use some good karma. :happydance:

I didn't think you were being a jerk - I was glad that people were all indignant on my behalf! ;)

scowling
11-10-2005, 02:39 PM
I am going to order some of this beautiful yarn tomorrow when payday comes. I'll be sure and report back on softness and such.

It's just so beautiful! The only other mass produced multicolor wool yarn I like as much is Noro, and this is half as much, even with shipping.

foldedbird
11-10-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm wondering why for $21 it's rolled up in a tangled mess? Or have I missed the newest version of a hank...

brendajos
11-10-2005, 04:54 PM
i gotta say my LYS sells some stuff called Andes and some others called Nature Wool and it always looks like that....well it is a twisted hank not a balled up hank. but it always takes me forever to untangle it so that i can unwind it. Every time i go through it i say never again. but i like working with it so much and the colors are so pretty i just can't walk away from it.

*sigh* i am so weak.

Totalele
11-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I have a friend who makes longies and only buys from this seller. She says that the color (because of pic and comp. screens, etc...) is sometimes a bit off (and you don't want to exchange since they are in Uruguay so keep that in mind), but the yarn is absolutely wonderful and she loves working with it!!!

I'm about to get some...

If you go to their store you'll see that usually the skein goes for $8 and 3 skeins auction for $21. I feel bad for their typo...

Everybody that got a sweater or a longie for my friend Rachel (mentioned above), said they were amazed how soft it is...

I'm about to get a few skeins... I'll let you guys know...
;)

feministmama
11-10-2005, 09:49 PM
I have a friend who makes longies

What is a longie :??

kome
11-10-2005, 10:02 PM
It's like a kids pair of sweat pants.

Totalele
11-10-2005, 11:01 PM
A longie is a pair of wool pants to use with CD (cloth diaper). :D

She didn't make those, but they are mighty cool! Check it out!

http://www.crankypantshome.com/longies.html

And that's my son Brandon, wearing one she made for him! :heart: (Please, completely ignore the mess!! :shock: )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/Totalele/WoolpantsRach.jpg

feministmama
11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
SSSOOOOOOooooooo cute! And if its soft enough for a babied bum then its soft for anything