PDA

View Full Version : How many of you ACTUALLY use a row counter?

knitting4babybear
11-06-2005, 11:06 AM
There's gotta be a better way....

:pray:

brendajos
11-06-2005, 11:11 AM
*sigh* i have a bunch of them but rarely use them because i always forget to turn it. i always end up counting my rows anyway because i don't trust myself to have remembered to the counter on every row.

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 11:12 AM
I don't use one. I could never remember if I turned it or not. I never had an electric one, because I think I'd have the same problem.

If it is imperative that I have the exact number of rows, I usually mark them on a paper. More likely, if I have to do 6 rows, I will right a 1-6 on a paper and mark them off as I go.

At this point, though, I can usually tell what's been done. I usually just write down rows if the stitch pattern is complex--makes it harder to count rows by just looking at them.

hedgehog
11-06-2005, 11:17 AM
I've got one that i'm using right now. It's one of those cheap-y, turn-y ones that sits on my needle.

In the past i've never used them before because i forgot to turn them or got irritated with them on my needle, but i'm currently working on the DNA scarf and it's proving itself to be invaluable! The pattern is rather complex and changes every row so if i didn't have it i'd be sunk.

I kinda forced myself to use it for this project but i'm glad i did!

-hh

Carol_OH
11-06-2005, 11:30 AM
I use one of those peg style ones on everything that is a bit complicated! I love it!

javede
11-06-2005, 11:36 AM
I used the one I have a lot when I began knitting(if I remember correctly it was with the lot of needles I got from my grandaunt).
But after some mess like "Have I turned the wheel?" and "Darn, I think I turned it twice!", I now use a pen and paper. Yes, you can still forget to use that, but somehow I don't. Plus I have my own way of marking decreases and increases. That way I can check if I already did that 6 decrease rows. For example when I make sleeves for a sweater I not only write down the rows(btw. I make a line for a row) I also mark the decrease rows and so I can make the second sleeve identical.

knitting4babybear
11-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Well it's all complicated to me right now. :p

I started a new scarf - a ridged garter stitch that involves a few rows of knitting, then a few rows of stockinette - but at not so regular intervals. I still can't count garter stitch rows very well either, so this mix of stitches is making my teeth itch.

But the very idea of stopping after each row *tick* to move the little dial...I just know me - It's likely not going to get remembered.

So far I've done it on paper too, Ingy.

I wonder if writing the pattern out in a repeat for the number of times it's supposed to happen begs the question WHY one just wouldn't use a counter if you're gonna take all that time to do something to keep track...

The pattern (don't LAUGH! It's complicated to ME! I'm still a noob! :roflhard: ) is:

K --> 1, 3, 5-11, 13, 15 & 16
P --> 2, 4, 12, 14

Repeat 17 times.

knitting4babybear
11-06-2005, 11:39 AM
I use one of those peg style ones on everything that is a bit complicated! I love it!

Peg style? :) What's that?

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 11:42 AM
I think for me the act of marking something with a pen takes more action than turning the knob. Somehow it gets into my conscious mind more or something.

for your pattern I'd probably make a little list that said

K, P, K, P, K, K, K, K, K, K, K, P, K, P, K, K and mark off each row as I went.

Another way to help keep track is to remember that the right side is usually an odd number row and the wrong is even.

rebecca
11-06-2005, 11:45 AM
I use my "I don't know what I did without it...oh yeah, SCREW up electronic row counter" that I got from knitpicks....I don't think that's the exact name, but it should be ;)
I use it ALL OF THE TIME!!!!

knitting4babybear
11-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I think for me the act of marking something with a pen takes more action than turning the knob. Somehow it gets into my conscious mind more or something.

for your pattern I'd probably make a little list that said

K, P, K, P, K, K, K, K, K, K, K, P, K, P, K, K and mark off each row as I went.

Another way to help keep track is to remember that the right side is usually an odd number row and the wrong is even.

My thank you's, O wise one. ;) Looks like that's gonna have to do it. Now if I can just find a way to do away with stitch markers... :thinking: :rofling:

Carol_OH
11-06-2005, 12:32 PM

http://www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com/catalog/peg-it_3331352.htm

not really a good photo - but you move a peg over each time you do a row.

silveridger
11-06-2005, 12:44 PM
I recently used mine for the first time... making some fingerless mitts, I was counting rows for increases and rows for cables at the same time. It was my first cable project, my mind was boggled :shock: . I used the counter for the cables and counted the easier increase rows manually (they are, after all, pretty easy to see). I'm sure with more experience I could do both by eye, but for now, it was a big help. I made myself a rule: the counter gets ticked at the end of each completed row or round, so the numbers always reflect the last completed row. It's a crutch, I know, but I'm still taking baby steps and the counter was a big help.

knitting4babybear
11-06-2005, 12:55 PM

http://www.yarn-and-threadbylisa.com/catalog/peg-it_3331352.htm

not really a good photo - but you move a peg over each time you do a row.

Ohhhhhh - I've seen these.... :) Thanks for the pic Carol! Reminds me of some game I used to have as a kid....forget which one.

Jan in CA
11-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I have used the dial one on a more complicated pattern and it was very helpful. I'll have to check out the other types, too.

koolbreeze
11-06-2005, 01:42 PM
id o i do. i've used the turn one, but just last week i bought the one you push...i :heart: it!!!

KellyK
11-06-2005, 01:54 PM
I use the one that hangs on your needle (http://knitpicks.com/lobby.asp?WCI=Item_Display&itemid=80244) so its THERE and CONVENIENT for me to turn...there will be some patterns, for instance the Wavy Scarf I am working on, where you MUST keep track of what row you are on. Do yourself a favor....REALLY. :thumbsup:

knitting4babybear
11-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I use [url=http://knitpicks.com/lobby.asp?WCI=Item_Display&itemid=80244]Do yourself a favor....REALLY. :thumbsup:

*sigh* Really?

*whine* but I'm so forgetful... :(

Alright then.

Drat!

:roflhard:

I'm such a brat!

jelly
11-06-2005, 02:21 PM
i use the red, click it one from clover and i would be LOST without it

i have just trained myself to click it after every row

the times that i have been too lazy too use it, and just think, "oh, i'll just eyeball it" have all ended in disaster

i :heart: my row counter

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2005, 02:28 PM
i've got the hangy one, too, and I love it. I use the square loud clicky one for flat projects... funny story: I was knitting the clogs, and using the clocky one to keep track of the short rows, and DH was "trying" to watch TV, and apparently the clicky bothered him... I realized this, and then just started randomly clicking just to be annoying... knit 2, click, k5 click click, k1 click, k1click... He actually last about a minute and a before he was like OH MY GOD WHAT'S WITH THE CLICKY THING???????????????" I thought it was totally hilarious :roflhard: .... until I realized that i wasn't paying attention to the pattern AND I had royally fubared what row I was on :frogging:

anyway. yes, i use them all the time. I'm more carefuly about who I annoy with it, though.

Lacedolphin
11-06-2005, 02:45 PM
I use the blue turny one. It is as essential to me as the needles. I use circs mostly so at the end of a row its already there and I've just taught myself to turn it when I see it.

earthchick
11-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I haven't tried one yet, but I think I would really suck at remembering to click it.

When I was very new to knitting and saw a row counter for the first time, I honestly thought that it actually clicked itself every time you finished a row. I'm not sure how I thought it knew. Maybe if you're using flats it could somehow sense when you were changing hands? :?? Anyway, I kept thinking it would be pretty handy, till I finally realized you have to click it yourself. :doh:

rebecca
11-06-2005, 04:42 PM
SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN U R BEING MEAN ON PURPOSE, hilde?! :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:.... You :frog: :roflhard: :rofling: that's too funny!!

VickiIL
11-06-2005, 05:17 PM
I use the clicky one too. But only with more complicated patterns. My problem is not forgetting to click it but a "helpful" toddler who thinks it is fun to make the clicky sound. I have to hide the clicker from sight when he is up and then there is simply no point in using it if I have to get it out of hiding each time I need to click it.

knitting4babybear
11-06-2005, 05:24 PM
I haven't tried one yet, but I think I would really suck at remembering to click it.

When I was very new to knitting and saw a row counter for the first time, I honestly thought that it actually clicked itself every time you finished a row. I'm not sure how I thought it knew. Maybe if you're using flats it could somehow sense when you were changing hands? :?? Anyway, I kept thinking it would be pretty handy, till I finally realized you have to click it yourself. :doh:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Seriously - I had never planned to admit this, but I thought so too.
In my defense tho, I did imagine the actual mechanics...I thought the action of making the last stitch in a row would somehow trigger the "row tracker". :rollseyes:

Imagine my HORROR when I found out the SHOCKING truth!

Click it yourself ? After EVERY single row??? Madness!

:roflhard: @ Hilde - that's something I SO would have done...

Thanks so much guys. I'll check online again - sounds like there are WAY more options than I realized.

Jan in CA
11-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Gotta love the "technical" terms we all are using for these... No names were used to protect the innocent! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I use the clicky one too.
I use the blue turny one.
i've got the hangy one, too.
I use the square loud clicky one
i use the red, click it one
I have used the dial one
It's one of those cheap-y, turn-y ones

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 07:13 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Well, when we speak in k, p, psso, tog, dec, inc, st, ssk, ssp, wyif, wyib, tbl, and dpn, what can you expect!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-06-2005, 07:34 PM
hahahaha Jan, that's funny! :roflhard:

KK, chalk another one up to "things that sounds dirty but aren't" list

humblestumble
11-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I have paper and pencil with me so everytime I finish a row, I mark it off. Usually I right out all the numbers of the rows, or the repeats, and I cross it off after each one.

GlenBoRTR
11-06-2005, 09:20 PM
I love my "Hangy Thing". :shock:

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 09:21 PM
:roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling:

KellyK
11-06-2005, 09:35 PM
:roflhard: Oh boy....and on the same day that someone asked about their 10-yr old joining KH! :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 09:43 PM
:shifty: You mean he wasn't talking about a row counter? :??

jelly
11-06-2005, 11:12 PM
y'all have turned a perfectly innocent topic into something smutty and trashy

i have found my people

Ingrid
11-06-2005, 11:37 PM
y'all have turned a perfectly innocent topic into something smutty and trashy

i have found my people

Yup, that's the specialty around here!! :happydance:

dustinac
11-07-2005, 10:49 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

I did use the little turny things but gave up and now use pen and paper.. LOL don't ask me why but I seem to remeber to mark it when I do...

Jelly my son's imaginary friend is named Jelly :rofling:

kemp
11-07-2005, 10:50 AM
What's a row counter??? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I like patterns that say something like "when it measures 8 inches" rather than a certain number of rows. When I am doing something with a pattern, I use little post it tabs you buy to mark book pages and move it underneath each new row. Also helps make sure you're actually looking at the right line again when you have to look away.

I just do the paper thing if I HAVE to count.

Mer
11-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Hey, they do make one that counts itself! I don't know how well it works in real life. Here's a story on it. (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/08/03/smart.knitting/)

Norman
11-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Let me throw my hat in here.. I've not read all 3 pages.. :) but I will

I use one of the small boye ones.. on just about anything that requries like:
Knit 20 rnds, purl 2 rnds, knit 5 rnds..

Just so I can keep track.. however, I keep counting my rows too, cause I'm forgetfull and can't remember if I ever turned that darned thing..

I've seen bigger ones, that you click.. but I think that would be more of a hassle ..

However, I'm eyeing this Digital one (http://tinyurl.com/daupr) I saw in the KnitPicks catalog I got.. I like them.. because I know where I'm at.. and if I'm off, it's usually only one row and I can count the stiches.. gives me a litle piece of mind.. and let me tell ya .. there's not much mind left :)

kemp
11-07-2005, 11:35 AM
oh nice...I like the digital one! I'm all about the toys.

knitting4babybear
11-07-2005, 11:48 AM
If Woody could only count her rows, none of this would ever have happened. :rollseyes:

Mer - our cats are twins. I just thought you should know.... :roflhard:

knitting4babybear
11-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Rebecca Spender's "KnitWit" device automatically counts the number of stitches in each row by detecting the movement of the knitting needles.

The project was her final-year assignment for a product design degree at Brunel University in west London.

Now that's what I'm talking about.... :happydance:

This is what Nobel's should be reserved for. REAL geniuses. :roflhard:

foldedbird
11-07-2005, 11:51 AM
I do my patterns a little strangely. Let me say first that I'm dyslexic and very forgetful and I have 2 kids who only want to talk to me if I'm in the middle of an increase row. I also have a hard time counting because while I'm counting I'm thinking of something else. Yeah...I have issues. But now I have Straterra :)

Here's what I do.

I print out my pattern. If it's in a book, I copy it. Then, I highlight all of the actual pattern lines, using different colors for things like stitch patterns, increases, decreases, etc.

If there are lines like this: [K1, SSK, Knit to 3sts before next marker, k2tog, K1.] Knit 3 rows. Repeat 3 more times.
I write the whole thing out so it looks like this:
Row 1: K1, SSK, Knit to 3sts before next marker, k2tog, K1...
Row 2: K
Row 3: K
Row 4: K

Then, I cross off each row as I do them. I back that up by counting up how many stitches are increased/decreased within the row, and I count every row to make sure I've ended up with the right number of stitches.

It helps to make a list of what you know after you read the pattern, with this example, after 16 rows, I should have 8 less stitches than when I started and I should see some shaping happening going on near my markers. If I look at my knitting and don't see the shaping, I know something has gone wrong right away and I can frog back.
I still go back and count the knit stitches, too.

I do the same thing for charts, too.
It's time consuming and a little obsessive, but it works for me. It also helps me figure out how patterns work and gives me a chance to make notes as well.

Norman
11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
I'm dyslexic and very forgetful and I have 2 kids who only want to talk to me if I'm in the middle of an increase row. I also have a hard time counting because while I'm counting I'm thinking of something else.

:roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

Funny.. welcome to parenthood.. I only become dyslexic when I knit :)

I also write out complex patterns.. that way I Can just follow rows.. :) I found that to help out.. specially with the Monogramed baby blanket..

Man I need to get some pictures of that up..

knitting4babybear
11-07-2005, 11:56 AM
Sounds to me like you have a mensa level IQ, Denise.

All them notes...AND some KIDS around? How do you keep track of the paper? The pen? The kids? Much less the knitting and the needles....

I think they should study your brain for clues about genius.

Is it the Strattera? Because I'll take drugs if it helps. :roflhard:

KellyK
11-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Rebecca Spender's "KnitWit" device automatically counts the number of stitches in each row by detecting the movement of the knitting needles.
Ive always been curious about how it knows the difference between REAL sts and "accidental misses". And, what about K & P into the same st??

I just dont want a counter that I have to pick up between each row. I want it RIGHT THERE where I can turn it conveniently.

feministmama
11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm really anal about this. I have to write it out. I mean everything. I have tons of pieces of paper that look like this:

When I do a row I cross off the number. Its the only way really. What twith all the kid interruptions and my own wandering brain and the TV show.....

tigger0229
11-07-2005, 12:05 PM
I now use a pen and paper. .
I also use pen/paper. After each row, I make it a habit to set the needles down and record the row. It really makes it easy for me to look at and know where I am. I have row counters also. I had it sitting by my recliner where I'd left it after putting my knitting away. (in this case, it was a simple scarf, and I was using the counter to get used to it). Anyway, days later our daughter and sil are there and she's sitting in my recliner, and what do you know, turning the wheel asking, hey, this is neat, what is it. LOL!!!! I told her she better be glad I was just experimenting with it. THEN she put it down and our next daughter/sil/g'kids arrive and the g'kids play with it like it's a toy. Have no idea where it got to after that!! so I bought two more this past weekend. Still in package and I still use the pen/paper!!!

foldedbird
11-07-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't keep track of the paper...that's how I got so good at it! :)

If I were a genius, I wouldn't have to do all this stuff with the paper, LOL. And, I wouldn't lose the paper. I use circular needles, so those are stuck in the knitting.

Just started on the stretterra, I'll let you know!

CateKnits
11-07-2005, 01:35 PM
I tend to just remember it. The first time I did cables, I wrote down each row as I finished it, but that's the only time I can remember doing that. I have a weird thing for remembering numbers, though.
I'll probably be screwed once I start my sweater. :rollseyes:

cheesiesmom
11-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I have both the red clicker and the barrel one that sits on your needle. The dial on the barrel is so loose I'm never sure if it isn't turning itself as the needles move. I prop the clicker next to the copy holder which has my pattern on it and click at the end of the row. I keep track of odd/even rows by the tail of the cast on. If it's at the top, it's an odd row, at the bottom even. (Or whereever the tail was when you stared your first row.)

I also found a neat idea on the net (but I can't find the link). If you have a pattern repeat of say 10 rows, you take a piece of yarn, fold it in half and tie 10 knots spaced down the yarn. As you do your row, you move the reminder down to the next space between the knots. It's cheap and can be customized to your project by the number of rows you have to do.

I thought it was kinda nifty. I'll look for the link on my home computer.

MaryS
11-07-2005, 06:24 PM
I use paper and pencil.

I always copy the pattern, and make any adjustments needed for sizing or gauge changing if I'm switching yarns, etc. on the copy. Then, on a piece of looseleaf paper I write down the yarn and gauge I'm using and who the item is for (especially if I'm making the same sweater pattern in three different sizes, in three different yarns, with three different size needles, for three different people - yes, this is my Xmas knitting-LOL).

I do lots of Aran patterns, so I ALWAYS make a tick mark as I go. I'll make a tally for the back, front, and each sleeve. That way I'm sure I have sleeves with the same number of rows, and the same number of rows until the armhole shaping, etc. I'll subdivide for neck shaping too, to make sure I do the same number of rows on the right shoulder as the left shoulder. Even if the pattern says to knit the sleeves to 17" before binding off, I still count. You've got to do 2, you know :thinking:

When I'm done, I have a complete record of exactly how I did that item if I ever want to replicate it, and it's easy to slip in a 3 ring binder. In the last three years I think I've only done one dishcloth where I followed the pattern word for word. Oh, and my first two pairs of clogs! :doh: Then I just used a sticky on the pattern. Everything else there's always something I want to "customize", either for looks or for sizing. Paper makes it easy!

Happy Knitting and Counting :XX: :XX: :XX:

Mary

knitting4babybear
11-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Wow.....

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I wish I could focus on anything that long without gnawing off my hand. :shock:

I use paper and pencil.

I always copy the pattern, and make any adjustments needed for sizing or gauge changing if I'm switching yarns, etc. on the copy. Then, on a piece of looseleaf paper I write down the yarn and gauge I'm using and who the item is for (especially if I'm making the same sweater pattern in three different sizes, in three different yarns, with three different size needles, for three different people - yes, this is my Xmas knitting-LOL).

I do lots of Aran patterns, so I ALWAYS make a tick mark as I go. I'll make a tally for the back, front, and each sleeve. That way I'm sure I have sleeves with the same number of rows, and the same number of rows until the armhole shaping, etc. I'll subdivide for neck shaping too, to make sure I do the same number of rows on the right shoulder as the left shoulder. Even if the pattern says to knit the sleeves to 17" before binding off, I still count. You've got to do 2, you know :thinking:

When I'm done, I have a complete record of exactly how I did that item if I ever want to replicate it, and it's easy to slip in a 3 ring binder. In the last three years I think I've only done one dishcloth where I followed the pattern word for word. Oh, and my first two pairs of clogs! :doh: Then I just used a sticky on the pattern. Everything else there's always something I want to "customize", either for looks or for sizing. Paper makes it easy!

Happy Knitting and Counting :XX: :XX: :XX:

Mary