PDA

View Full Version : Age Restriction----Question for Amy

Emeraldcutie
11-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Amy ---

Would there be a problem if I registered my 10 year old daughter. She wants to participate in the Hogwarts Scarf KAL. I seen the disclaimer and agree to it, but noticed the 13 year old line.

Thanks
Laura

KellyK
11-06-2005, 01:49 PM
The Mod Squad, and really our membership in general, tries to maintain a "PG-13" rating here on Amy's behalf and request....I know that the subject matter on the boards sometimes gets "spicy", but its usually all in fun. The Hogwarts scarf KAL thread is one that stays "cleaner" than others....

How do YOU feel about her reading some of the things that have be posted on the board? I think that should be your gauge..... Maybe you can be WITH her while she surfs KH?

amy
11-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Under 13 required parental permission to join most forums. I believe this is law on US forums, which is why I implement it here. Of course you can have your 10 year old join; just fax me the permission slip that's emailed when she signs up.
:D

AidanM
11-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Darn! Guess I'm not one of the youngest anymore. ;) :D Welcome to your daughter!

humblestumble
11-06-2005, 08:10 PM
How old are ya Adain? I'm 18 :)

CateKnits
11-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey! I'm 18, too. But only for another week. :P

BinkyKat
11-06-2005, 09:24 PM
OMGoodness HS & CK, you were born the year I graduated Highschool...sigh,
I still feel like I haven't become a real grownup yet... Prolly cuz I don't have kids yet...
:rollseyes:

mintdee
11-06-2005, 09:57 PM
That can't be it bink. I have 5 kids and I still feel like a kid. :roflhard:

BinkyKat
11-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I've heard that too... I love to play still and love the fact that with two new baby nephews, I don't have to explain why I love to buy crayons!

Emeraldcutie
11-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Oh Iam totally okay with the postings.
Most of it she wouldn't get anyhow. Mostly she watches the video and I was going to let her participate in the Scarf KAL.
She is a little bit different then most kids. She tests at about 22years old.
She was top 3 % in the Ontario / Canada schools aptitude testing.
She read at 2.5 yrs and does algebra for fun.
So her being on the site isn't really an issue for me.
For right now I'll post her stuff for her, and after a bit I'll see if she wants her own ID.
I'll send that information to you Amy as soon as we decide.

BTW thanks for a great site. we are really enjoying it.

AidanM
11-07-2005, 12:47 AM
How old are ya Adain? I'm 18 :)
I'm seventeen, muha!

Emeraldcutie
11-07-2005, 12:50 AM
Wow Iam glad to see how many young knitters we have.
It's great, just reminds me how old I am getting..lol..
but age is only a number, I still think Iam 21. Just a little more wiser (or I would like to think so..lol

CateKnits
11-07-2005, 12:50 AM
She read at 2.5 yrs and does algebra for fun.

Mmm, algebra! I was a math major my first year of college, before I decided it was more fun when I didn't HAVE to do it. :rollseyes:
Liking algebra isn't that weird, is it? Please, tell me it isn't!

feministmama
11-07-2005, 12:46 PM
GIrls liking math is great :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

CateKnits
11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I really believe this cheesey billboard I once saw that said, "Math is Power." It is!

amy
11-07-2005, 06:20 PM
I took Calculus and Calc II for fun in college. :blush: I'm a math geek too. At least I used to be, can't say I really am any more.

Emeraldcutie, your daughter sounds incredible! Tell her we'd love :heart: to have her on the forum! :happydance:

BinkyKat
11-07-2005, 11:33 PM
GIrls liking math is great :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

One of my fave teachers in jr. high - who was my math, science, and homeroom teacher - always told the girls "Never stop taking math, and don't marry a schmuck." He will always be the one teacher I remember all my life. His wife was a lawyer and she was very involved in a program called "Expanding Your Horizons" that was a special two day retreat for jr. high girls to try out jobs not tranditionally populated by women. :thumbsup:

Phretys
11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I wonder if there is a higher percentage of mathophiles among knitters than the general population? All that counting and pattern awareness, and such. :) I have a B.S. degree in Mathematics.

~Debi~

brendajos
11-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Kelly definitely falls into that category! Just ask her! She'll spend all day tellin' ya how much she loves math!

heh :rofling:

Jan in CA
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
I wonder if there is a higher percentage of mathophiles among knitters than the general population? All that counting and pattern awareness, and such. :) I have a B.S. degree in Mathematics.

~Debi~

Oh boy... not me unfortunately. :oops: :??

KellyK
11-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Here's me...running away from Math!! :shock:

brendajos
11-08-2005, 02:28 PM
holy cwap! :shock: math is chasing you with a pointy stick!?!?! you should stop and take it away so you can knit with it!

though it could be a little unruly to work with i suppose!

KellyK
11-08-2005, 02:56 PM
holy cwap! :shock: math is chasing you with a pointy stick!?!?!

NOW do ya see why I hate it so much???

CateKnits
11-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Math needs no pointy stick! Didn't we go through this already? Math is POWER. :twisted:
I'm supposed to be working on a BS in Applied Statistics but, uhh, I guess I didn't love math as much as I thought. :rollseyes: I still love it more than a lot of people, I guess.

Jeremy
11-08-2005, 05:19 PM
If math is power I'm experiencing a brown out. :thinking:

sogrammatical
11-08-2005, 06:38 PM
If liking math is wrong, then I don't want to be right!

Wooohoooo math majors are awesome! We've even got t-shirts!

I realized today that I only need three more math classes for my major, and since I don't think I'm going to grad school for math, I might only take three more math classes ever! This is a very sad thought!

It's one of my favorite parts about going to a women's college - all my math classes are full of smart women who love math. It's one in the eye for stereotypes about girls and math.

CateKnits
11-08-2005, 06:40 PM
I'm no longer a math major, but I still keep taking math classes. I won't have one this upcoming quarter and that makes me sad. The one I wanted/needed was already full!

sogrammatical
11-08-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm no longer a math major, but I still keep taking math classes. I won't have one this upcoming quarter and that makes me sad. The one I wanted/needed was already full!

Oh no! What was the class? Could you get on the waitlist?

(Even if you do like stats, which is fake math anyway!)

CateKnits
11-08-2005, 09:52 PM
:crying: It is not fake math. It's a different application for math. But I get tired of this argument (ask the boy who got me so worked up I CRIED last year :shocked: ), so I think we should agree to disagree.

KellyK
11-08-2005, 10:01 PM
OMG we have NEVER had an argument on this board...PLEASE dont tell me our first one is gonna be about MATH!! :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Didn't this start out with a young, innocent girl wanting to knit a Harry Potter scarf? :??

Put down the protractors, ladies and go to your corners, er, right angles!!

Emeraldcutie
11-09-2005, 12:27 AM
OH no, don't want to see any arguing, although I think there is something valid about knitters/math linked.
I have a diploma in Accounting. So I have always been very much into math. If only I could put it in to use, to learn where to invest my savings..lol...

Allie is going to join the group, she really likes it here, esp the videos, its great for when Iam really busy, she can sit at the pc and watch how to do a step. It's also a peace keeper, me being "only mom" and her being a typical puberty stricken girl, can never believe her mom might know something about knitting..lol..it easier to tell her to go watch Amy, then I get a sorry mom you were right...lol

LisaD715
11-09-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm seventeen, muha!

I could soooooooo be your mother.......my 17 year old will be 18 in February.....thanks a lot Aidan :(

Totally kidding!! I love your spunk and amazing spirit!! Besides, I had yet another person today tell me I do not look anywhere near my age, so it must be true!!

sogrammatical
11-09-2005, 12:57 AM
:crying: It is not fake math. It's a different application for math. But I get tired of this argument (ask the boy who got me so worked up I CRIED last year :shocked: ), so I think we should agree to disagree.

I was just kidding around. Statisticians are people too! Stats and I are not friends though - it and trig identities hold the honor of being the maths that made me cry in class.

I suspect that if I took calculus based stats I would like it better because then I could see where everything comes from, but my school doesn't actually have any upper level stats courses.

LisaD715
11-09-2005, 01:06 AM
As for the "mathiticians" being knitters......I am a English/Science major. Actually waiting unitl I can go finish my Psyc degree.....(out of state tuition is a killer, I have to live here a year to avoid those fees)

KellyK
11-09-2005, 01:20 AM
It's also a peace keeper, me being "only mom" and her being a typical puberty stricken girl, can never believe her mom might know something about knitting..
Its not just puberty-stricken girls....I have to warn my 80+ yo residents not to try to have their children teach them to use the computers! Family dynamics get in the way every time! :roflhard:

punkhippiemom
11-09-2005, 10:58 AM
It's also a peace keeper, me being "only mom" and her being a typical puberty stricken girl, can never believe her mom might know something about knitting..lol..it easier to tell her to go watch Amy, then I get a sorry mom you were right...lol

:roflhard: How funny that Amy's video is now in the role of peacekeeper in a knitting family...
"Go watch Amy"... I love that- has the same tone that my parents used to say "Go play outside"... :lol:

TRIG :help: IS A DIRTY WORD!

amy
11-09-2005, 01:32 PM
If math is power I'm experiencing a brown out. :thinking:

:roflhard: