PDA

View Full Version : For Whom Do You Knit??

hedgehog
11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Ok, so i know that the holidays are just around the corner and most are frantically making things to give as gifts, but it made me wonder what was the impetus to knit for most members?

For example: I started knitting about 1.5 years ago (marginally) and only seriously knitting about 10 moths ago. Since then i've made three baby blankets, 3 baby hats, a baby sweater, booties, a shawl for my sister, discloths for my mom and sister, about 7 scarves for family and friends, etc...

It dawned on me that i haven't really made anything for myself - not that i mind. I knit because i like it and i :heart: the finished products, but i guess i'd classify myself as a "gift knitter". I'm constantly finding things i'd like to make for others. I have about 25 projects i'm planning for my lovely sister and have 2 books on baby stuff and have NO children (nor plans for any) of my own, but i have friends who are rapidly procreating! However, I don't have a strong need to make things for me (i have a few sweater ideas, but i have so many other projects i'd like to finish first).

So my question to the forum is: For whom do you knit? Are the projects you complete for yourself or gifts for others generally?

Just curious,
-hh

Barefootmama
11-06-2005, 05:35 PM
So far, just me. Then again, I only started knitting a few weeks ago and I have yet to finish my first project. :D It will be for me though. All the ideas I have in my head are for my son, husband, and other family members. They will all be overloaded with my knitting projects once I get a good hang of this!!

KellyK
11-06-2005, 05:49 PM
OMG, Ive been knitting for EVERYONE! Each of our friends is getting a handknit birthday gift, and each of our family members for Christmas. And, I am knitting for Howie, because he's cold all the time. :(

Carol_OH
11-06-2005, 06:00 PM
mostly for charity, then most for my family...

and if I do do something for me, I usually give it away.

though I was just thinking that I do need a new hat this winter! :D

edit: gah, that makes me sound like a do-gooder annoying-type person..I do have a scarf I wear a lot that I knitted...and I did just buy a ton of Elsebeth Lavold's angora for a sweater for me, and you'll be sure I'm not gonna give THAT away!

gimmesanity
11-06-2005, 07:49 PM
I knit mostly for others...which is why I'm keeping my latest scarf (Heart from knitty.) haha.

I knit a lot for DD because baby projects are usually fast (unless it's the $%^&* seed stitch sweater that I've been working on forever), and they're a good way for me to try new things.

I'm knitting up a bunch of scarves to give tot he women I work with for the holidays.

~Sharon

ebrperk
11-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I mostly knit for anyone but myself. I have made several baby blankets and scarves and dish cloths. If I like someone I will knit for them but only for people that will appreciate it.

Robin

Julie
11-06-2005, 08:21 PM
My 36th FO was the first I knit for myself. I love knitting kids things because it's a great way to learn new things without a huge time/yarn commitment...a few have ended up staying home (for my girls) but I've given most of them away. That's one of the reasons I started my blog -- so I could have a record of what I've done (pictures, pattern modifications, etc).

CateKnits
11-06-2005, 08:42 PM
I knit mostly for myself because I'm still trying new things...and most of m friends are boys and don't appreciate knitting. My dad keeps asking me when I'll make him something and I keep saying, "When you decide to start wearing scarves, hats, or mittens." :P

Mer
11-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I knit mostly for myself--especially large things, like sweaters. Hard to figure out sizing for other people, and I don't want to put so much work into something only to have them not like it! But my family will be getting knitted Christmas presents this year!

Danielle
11-06-2005, 11:41 PM
I knit for myself mostly. Although, this Christmas I will be giving several family members and a few friends knitted gifts. :D

AidanM
11-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I create things mostly for me. I do like inventing new things for other people to use. I'm going to crochet some wine bottle cozies here real soon for some friends, but I don't drink. :D

brendajos
11-07-2005, 12:55 AM
well i think i really knit for me because i like it so much but the stuff i knit goes to whomever claims it first usually.

humblestumble
11-07-2005, 02:43 AM
Well, soon I will knit only for me, but right now I don't have much of a choice but to knit something for at least one other person for the holidays. I'm knitting my boyfriend some socks for winter right now. I don't have a job but I have tons of yarn and arts and crafts supplies. I'm drawing a picture of my parents for Christmas and frankenfurter for my mom... I know this isn't knitting, but this is what I do for the holidays. My mom wants a shawl, but I don't know if that's gonna happen. lol Thats just really big.

foldedbird
11-07-2005, 02:57 AM
Funny ya post this, I was just thinking about the very same thing the other day. I have only finished one item for myself, a water bottle holder that I adapted from the SnB Yoga Mat Bag.
Once I realized that, I casted on the ChicKami. I'm still doing chemo caps on the sidelines, in between yelling at the ChicKami. It's being mean to me. :crying:

KellyK
11-07-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm still doing chemo caps on the sidelines, in between yelling at the ChicKami. It's being mean to me. :crying:

Have you tried explaining to it that its behavior is hurtful? :roflhard:

:heart: HUGS, Deni! :heart:

foldedbird
11-07-2005, 09:46 AM
YES, I did. It seems that she's getting even because I took so long to cast her on.

kemp
11-07-2005, 10:00 AM
edit: gah, that makes me sound like a do-gooder annoying-type person..I do have a scarf I wear a lot that I knitted...and I did just buy a ton of Elsebeth Lavold's angora for a sweater for me, and you'll be sure I'm not gonna give THAT away!

YUM :heart: :heart: :heart: Elsebeth Lavold Angora!!!!! If you change your mind on giving that one away, I'd be glad to take it off your hands ;)

dustinac
11-07-2005, 10:40 AM
for others.. only been knitting since June but have done 3 baby afghans (kept the first for my daughter) a purse for my daughter, a poncho for my daughter, a scarf for my son, a hat for my son, a sweater for my son, 2purses for my mom, a scarf for a friend, have one scarf done for Christmas, working on many more for Christmas... Did make me a fall purse... After Christmas I wanna make myself a cabled hoody but we shall see... My son wants an afghan out of one of the knitting magazines :rollseyes:

rebecca
11-07-2005, 11:29 AM
I have knit mostly for others with great joy! But I made a very recent decision that it was time to now knit for me & my husband, which is what I am currently doing and will for some time bc I've accumulated a long project list and yarn for projects for us and I will admit that it is a LOT of fun to knit for oneself...I had not knit much for me before..it's FUN :D

Carol_OH
11-07-2005, 12:10 PM

YUM :heart: :heart: :heart: Elsebeth Lavold Angora!!!!! If you change your mind on giving that one away, I'd be glad to take it off your hands ;)

heheee! Okay kemp! If I make it too small for me, I'm sure it will fit you then (you skinny minnie, you!)

KristiMetz
11-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, I'm not one of those uppity do-gooders either :lol: BUT I mainly do stuff for other people.

I'm new to knitting, but as far as cross-stitch and other crafty stuff goes... my son is my main recipient, and relatives and friends are the others.

When I get to be an experienced knitter, I would love to do some charity projects! From reading some threads here there are some great ideas for that.

But, I also love the thought of someday soon being able to knit a sweater and pants for my little cutie-pie son!!!

OOOOH, and if I could knit those men's fingerless gloves for my DH - he would just love those! He works outside a lot.

When I have the time, one day soon I'd like to myself a felted bag ... those are really cute.

jodstr2
11-07-2005, 02:57 PM
lately my knitting is all Christmas gifts for our families.
most of the time - 50/50 : me/others.
lots of bags for my mom, a couple of bags for gifts, some scarves for charity, and lots of stuff for me.
but I don't really wear the stuff I knit for me. there's really only 1 scarf/hat set, 1 scarf, and 1 pair of clogs that I wear.

knitting4babybear
11-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Mostly for me.

I claim to knit for others, but then I end up frogging it because of some invisible mistake. After frogging I somehow always manage to end up making something for me instead. :??

I think I'm secretly and subconsiously opposed to giving my knitting away. I feel like if they don't get excited when I talk about it, they won't get excited when they see it. *shrug*

Carol_OH
11-07-2005, 03:43 PM
hehe as one of those uppity-do-gooders, I have to confess that since I have only been really knitting since January, most of my knitting is practice knitting with acrylic. Granted, most of the stuff turned out pretty darned good *she says humbly* LOL

And I have to knit when watching TV or else I feel so guilty that I'm not keeping busy! This means making hat after hat, and what am I gonna do with all of them!

But now that I'm a yarn snob, I think that more of my stuff will be for me. Though, I did get a lot of super-wash wool from Knitwerx that I'll be using for charity stuff.

see my halo? :rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

Joel
11-07-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm not totally sure how to answer this....

Technically, my first two projects (dishclothes) were for my wife. But I use them more than she does for cleaning.

The third project (scarf) is for my father's Christmas gift and my seemingly stalled 4th project (lapghan) will be for my parents. However, at the rate Im going, I should finish it in about 5 years. :rollseyes:

I don't have any other projects going.... I'm pretty much a one-project-at-a-time person. Maybe because I don't get much time to work on them so don't get "bored" doing the same project like many people on here do.

DeAnzaJig
11-07-2005, 09:20 PM
I suppose I'm 50% others (if you consider dogs "others") and 50% me, although since the dogs belong to me, I might actually be 100% me! :doh:

I'm new to knitting, and so far I've only completed 1 scarf, 2 dog sweaters, and 2 dishclothes, so no one is exactly clammering for my knitted products. ;)

hedgehog - I love your username! I use to own a hedgehog and hope to someday own another one.

HeatherFeather
11-08-2005, 08:05 AM
It really is a split....I make things for me, in hopes that people will see it, and ask me to make them one for sale!!! :)

It is so cute, the kids at school ask...who's that for...and I say...me...they are SOOO surprised that I am doing something for myself. These were the Kindergardeners...at the time.

I've sold a poncho, purses, and going to make some socks...:)

As far as gifts....notso much for others...altho mom generally gets the first fruits of a new project I make. :)

VickiIL
11-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Until Christmas began, I mostly knit for myself and my immediate family. Most of what I was knitting were firsts so I figured that keeping the knitting in the house would eliminate any embarrassement of horrible pieces being seen by others! :shock:

But nothing I have every finished has turned out horrible. (a couple projects I scapped were heading that way ;) ) So this Christmas almost EVERYONE is getting knitted gifts!

Jeremy
11-08-2005, 12:30 PM
I knit mostly for my wife and women friends and relatives. Two Booga bags, a winter hat and currently, a Lucy bag. I knit one sock for myself, I'm working on the other now. :XX:

eggplant
11-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Usually about 50% for other people and 50% for myself. But with Christmas on the way -- which it seems like it has been for several months now, since two people are getting sweaters -- the balance is more like 75% other people, 25% me.

hedgehog
11-09-2005, 01:29 PM
I really liked seeing the answers to this thread. Thank you to all who commented! :cheering: It's nice to understand what the inspirations for projects are for other knitters. (Makes it more like a knitting circle) ;)

But this thread made me reflect on the fact that it's time to do something for me, i think. I have charity projects in line, i have gifts lined up for others and so on... But i actually bought the yarn to make myself a DNA scarf. Seems only fitting that i make one for me since i'm a Molecular Geneticist too!

AND i've found a pattern that i really want to make. THIS! (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50422220&yarnid=5420127) :inlove: I totally love it, even though i'm not sure when i'd ever wear it! But i always marvel at everyone else's lace shawls and i love the geometry of the pattern of this one.

I think i'll do it in Alpaca Cloud - Midnight (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420108). If i never wear it, i can always give it away. :thumbsup:

-hh

foldedbird
11-09-2005, 02:33 PM
If you give it away, my address is...

katiyana
11-10-2005, 05:19 PM
so my knitting this time of the year is for my customers.

I try to work on gift knitting during the slower time of the year for my business.

Right now I have a sweater for myself half done, a pair of socks (my first attempt) for hubby that I have the pattern and yarn for but haven't started yet, and sweater vests for me and DD that I have the yarn for but haven't started yet.

Business has been so :thumbsup: this year that I don't have time to knit for my family much