PDA

View Full Version : FIBERGIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

koolbreeze
11-08-2005, 12:38 PM
gurl... i didn't know you were a spinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!i want to spin on a spindle... is it easy? do you like? i read you blog for the first time today and saw that you have a wheel...where do you get you fibers? i prolly should pm you... :D i will later i want to go back and read the rest!! peace out!

Vendie
11-08-2005, 01:13 PM
You're too funny Carmell :rofling: Wow, I never thought I would have a thread devoted to me (besides my blog that is). You really like me, you really really like me! :inlove:

Spinning on a wheel is much easier than spinning on a spindle, I will tell you that right now. I still don't quite have the hang of the spindle - but it is a good place to start so that you can understand the concepts of spinning (drafting, twisting, etc). You can get a decent drop spindle for under $20 - or make one yourself. It's not too hard to spin on a spindle, but it takes coordination - which I don't have much of. But now that I understand more about the process, I'm going to go back to my spindle to see if it's easier.

There is an LYS near me that sells all sorts of fibers - various wools like shetland, merino, etc., cashmere, angora, silk, whatever you want. They also sell the wheels and spindles and accessories.

I don't have a wheel just yet, I'm working on getting one - gotta save my pennies. I do have one in mind, and I can go to that LYS and buy fiber from them and they'll let me spin to my heart's content in the meantime.

Thanks for making me giggle. :lol:

wildforyarn
11-08-2005, 08:16 PM
So, what wheel do you have in mind? I spin a little on a drop spindle.... have not had much time lately, but would really like to get a wheel. There are sooo many out there though, I can't really figure out exactly what I would like. How did you choose and have you spun on it before?

Vendie
11-08-2005, 08:25 PM
The LYS that I've been mentioning has several "floor models" of wheels. They have absolutely no problem with people coming in to try different wheels - in fact they encourage it. I took a spinning class there and so we got to learn different wheels. The one I like right now is the Ashford Traditional with the double treddle. The take-up on it (how you feed the spun yarn onto the bobbin) is really good for newbies like me b/c it basically grabs the yarn right out of your hand, thus reducing the tendency to over twist the yarn. It's the most popular wheel that Ashford makes.

The best way to pick a wheel is to sit down and spin on one. And a good wheel dealer will let you try out several. They really range in price, but just because a wheel costs $1500 doesn't mean it's better than one that costs $400. Usually your price differences are due to the finishing, use of exotic woods, etc. Some of the wheels are capable of spinning more varieties of yarn - some are better for chunky yarns, so are better for lace weight yarns. But it really just boils down to what you're comfortable using.

I'm sure there are folks here that are more knowledgable about wheels, but this is just what I've learned from my class.

If you don't have a wheel dealer anywhere near you, make the trip down to Sheep Street in Morgantown, IN (about 45minutes south of Indianapolis)! ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-08-2005, 10:02 PM
hey FG you should make an "everything you ever wanted to know about spinning" thread in the questions forum!

Jan in CA
11-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Just curious...Has anyone ever spun their pet fur? I've always thought my cats fur would make the softest sweater! :roflhard: I've heard of this so I thought I'd look it up.

http://www.fiberarts.ca/Pet%20Fur.html
http://www.fullmoonweavings.com/pages/2/
http://www.vipfibers.com/about-spinning.htm

Vendie
11-09-2005, 07:33 AM
My mom has a cocker spaniel rottweiler mix, and he has the most softest fur in the whole world. I keep saying I'm going to collect his sheddings and comb and card them and spin from them. I don't know what I would make though, b/c I'm a bit allergic to him. But he's a super soft puppy and I know his fur would make excellent yarn!

Vendie
11-09-2005, 07:36 AM
hey FG you should make an "everything you ever wanted to know about spinning" thread in the questions forum!

But I really don't know that much!

Hmmm, gee maybe someone from the ModSquad could move this thread over there and I could rename it and all could benefit from my vast wisdom gained from a whole 3 weeks of spinning :thinking: :roflhard:

kimmie
11-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I was at a craft fair last weekend and there was a booth devoted to husky dog stuff. The woman was spinning and knitting with husky fur. She was selling mittens, hats, the yarn itself, etc. It was pretty and soft, but all I could think about was the smell of wet dog if anything got damp...

I did get to watch her spin for awhile and was totally awed by the process.

kimmie

Vendie
11-09-2005, 11:50 AM
It's kinda mesmorizing, eh? Well, wet dog smells bad, but so does wet wool, if you ask me. I just tend to be more allergic to dogs when their fur is near my face or constantly touching me. But that's not to say I couldn't knit something like an iPod cozy or a teddy bear or a puppy for that matter. :roflhard:

Jan in CA
11-09-2005, 02:02 PM
What you are allergic to though is not the fur itself, but the dander and/or the saliva. Once it was washed it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I agree that wool smells, too. I don't know if dog fur would smell if it got wet, but who wears a wet sweater anyway? :lol:

amy
11-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Fun topic!

I'll chime in a few things I know about spinning dog hair:
~wool and dog hair won't smell if washed properly before spinning
~usually when spinners spin dog hair, it's the longer-haired breeds, and it's usually the undercoat that gets spun, not the outer hairs, which are coarser (I supposed they'd be good for sock soles or other tough uses though!). You can often get free fiber from a dog groomer if you're on friendly terms.

I tried spinning my own dog's undercoat-fur once. It was very soft and pretty, but hard to spin because it was only an inch or so long. I've currently got two bags of a longer haired breed's wool in my basement! One day maybe I'll spin it, it's quite pretty stuff!

Jan in CA
11-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Hmm...I have a Ragdoll cat with fur that feels like angora. I wonder if it's long enough...in the winter she has a gorgeous fluffy coat. I brush so much out of her in spring and summer that right now she's looking a little ragged though. ;) I wish I spun so I could play with it.