PDA

View Full Version : Sort of overwhelmed.......

tigger0229
11-08-2005, 03:07 PM
I see so many different yarns, weights, textures, etc. I want to buy them all!
Do ya'll buy yarn with projects in mind, or find a project to fit the yarn once you've bought it, or do you just hoard it? LOL, I'm a good hoarder, as I'm a cross stitcher so I have a HUGE stash.
I'm so new to knitting (for only about 6 months) so I'm not sure which yarns are good for what. It's still such a mystery to me.
I've done socks with sock yarn, and the pullover I'm on now is of a mediumweight, and the scarf was of specialty yarn.
But I'm doing the pullover from the yarn suggested, and the socks was a given on sock yarn, and the scarf was from a kit. So do you ever get to a point where you automaticallly use a yarn that you DESIRE to on the project of your choice, all the while knowing it is the correct thing?
GUIDELINES. that is what I'm looking for. anyone have any tips?
:??

foldedbird
11-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Hiya, Tigger! Welcome to the world of hoarding.

To answer your first questions, I hoard. I buy yarn with a project in mind and I buy yarn because it's prudy. I also get yarn for my group's charity project.

Guidelines... first of all, do you understand gauge (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/FEATswatchout.html) and why it's important? Once you have a good understanding of gauge, it opens the door to using any yarn you want for a project. If the pattern says "20 sts over 4 inches" you know that you'll need a yarn that has a simliar gauge...then swatch until you match that magic number.

If you have the yarn, just reverse that... find a pattern that has about the same gauge, and swatch until you match it.

Another good article on substituting yarn can be found here (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATwin03TBP.html).

brendajos
11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
well i confess i buy yarn because i like it and then wait for it to tell me what it wants to be. i do buy yarn with projects in mind but often the yarn tells me NO! in fact i have a ton of yarn that i bought for the fiber trends clogs that is now going to be a rug because....well it saw the pattern too and said "THAT'S WHAT I WANNA BE!!!!!"

okay so my yarn doesn't reeeeeeeeally get that excited but i can't help but feel like when i cast something on that isn't quite right for me or the needles or the yarn it let's me know.

*shrug*

as far as what works better for what projects and such.....beats me...i figure it all out as i go along...lol

jodstr2
11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
for the most part, I buy yarn with specific projects in mind.

but recently I bought some yarn just because it's pretty and feels nice. I plan to find a stitch that I think matches with this yarn, and try it out.

jodstr2
11-08-2005, 04:49 PM
So do you ever get to a point where you automaticallly use a yarn that you DESIRE to on the project of your choice, all the while knowing it is the correct thing?

if you've adjusted the gauge, and the look, feel, and drape of the knitted fabric are to your liking, go ahead and use the yarn that calls out to you or the yarn that's familiar to you.

for example: I like and have successfully felted Cascade 220, WOTA, and Noro Kureyon, so if I don't like or can't find the yarn that a felting pattern calls for, I'll use those.

good luck and happy hoarding :thumbsup: :heart: !

knitting4babybear
11-08-2005, 04:54 PM
well i confess i buy yarn because i like it and then wait for it to tell me what it wants to be. i do buy yarn with projects in mind but often the yarn tells me NO! in fact i have a ton of yarn that i bought for the fiber trends clogs that is now going to be a rug because....well it saw the pattern too and said "THAT'S WHAT I WANNA BE!!!!!"

okay so my yarn doesn't reeeeeeeeally get that excited but i can't help but feel like when i cast something on that isn't quite right for me or the needles or the yarn it let's me know.

*shrug*

as far as what works better for what projects and such.....beats me...i figure it all out as i go along...lol

i couldn't have said it better myself. :cheering:

This is me all the way.... :roflhard:

tigger0229
11-08-2005, 05:16 PM
thanks ya'll. and foldedbird, thanks for the links.
I had no idea a gauge was so important.
I'm going to read a couple more times until I've grasped what I'm reading.
so do you all do a swatch for EVERY project, even say as a scarf, as opposed to garments that are fitted?

brendajos
11-08-2005, 05:20 PM
:rollseyes: ummmm.....

i have never swatched at all....ever.... :shifty:

Julie
11-08-2005, 05:29 PM
:fingerwag:

tigger0229
11-08-2005, 05:35 PM
:roflhard:
brenda and julie!!

brendajos
11-08-2005, 05:38 PM
:oops:

well i always SUGGEST people swatch....i just have never knitted anything that i really NEEDED to swatch in my mind. i look at a pattern and say..."ummmm....okay i am gonna knit that with THIS yarn and THESE needles and we'll see what comes of it!"

lol the only time it has ever been a problem was when i felted a hat that i swear felted bigger than it was prefelting. it was VERY strange but it fit my head better BEFORE the felt than afterwards...odd odd odd!

but i don't knit sweaters either so....

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 05:44 PM
I confess!! I rarely, rarely swatch! I have a general idea of what my gauge is on certain yarns and needles. I did swatch on a shawl I'm making, because I wasn't sure which yarn would look best and I didn't want to hate this massive thing.

When I make sweaters, I let the sleeves be my swatch and adjust accordingly. If I'm making knit-on sleeves that have to wait until last, I check after I start. If it looks like it'll be too tight, I can either increase the needle size or block the h*ll out of it. :shifty: I also have the option of frogging down to any ribbing--a price I'm willing to pay.

I wouldn't bother to swatch for a scarf or blanket. If you're new, though, and really don't have a clue how certain yarns turn out, you might want to play with it--especially for something wearable.

tigger0229
11-08-2005, 05:44 PM
see, that's another mystery for me, felting!
I feel like I'm drowning in new words and techniques!
:thinking:
but hopefully I'll perfect it soon.
or smother in yarn trying. :lol:

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Felting is knitting something really, really big so you can shrink it. :rollseyes: :rollseyes: Seriously, though, you can make some really cool things with it. Check out the Felted Clogs knit along and the Finished Projects thread for some of the beautiful bags and hats that have been felted.

tigger0229
11-08-2005, 05:51 PM
thanks ingrid, great ideas.

jodstr2
11-08-2005, 06:56 PM
:rollseyes: ummmm.....

i have never swatched at all....ever.... :shifty:

me neither :oops: :shifty: . my "swatches" are all theoretical beginnings of projects. if I like it, it stays. if I don't like it, it gets frogged. sloppy, eh?

foldedbird
11-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Don't let all of these knotty, irresponsible knitters fool you. Having a working knowledge of gauge is very important. Swatching isn't important, as long as you aren't worried about garments fitting and silly stuff like that.

Ignore Ingrid... she's been knitting since the Great Depression. Did you hear about the hundreds of socks she made for troops doing WW1??? So, it's no wonder she rarely needs to swatch!

punkhippiemom
11-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Don't let all of these knotty, irresponsible knitters fool you. Having a working knowledge of gauge is very important. Swatching isn't important, as long as you aren't worried about garments fitting and silly stuff like that.

Ignore Ingrid... she's been knitting since the Great Depression. Did you hear about the hundreds of socks she made for troops doing WW1??? So, it's no wonder she rarely needs to swatch!
:roflhard: :roflhard:
I am a non-swatcher, but that's also because I rarely work from a pattern... I am a the-yarn-speaks-to-me kind of person.
But I'm getting ready to start my first sweater, and I will be swatching that thing... plus, there's so many neat things you can do with your swatches afterwards... make little patchwork blankets & etc... It just depends on what you're making, I guess...

foldedbird
11-09-2005, 01:00 AM
...use them to clean your rifle...

punkhippiemom
11-09-2005, 02:49 AM
:thinking: That is a possibility, although I think the yarns I use are too fuzzy... I know my sister uses cut-up t-shirts to clean hers... ;)

ebrperk
11-09-2005, 04:07 AM
Okay Denise had to laugh at the clean your gun comment. :roflhard: You are too funny sometimes.

I also admit I don't swatch much but have done it a couple of times it really depends on the project for me. I also usually buy yarn with a project in mind.

I am also a cross stitcher and have a large stash of that stuff also. I am having a hard time being interested in stitching lately due to the constant desire to knit. I do need to finish a couple of cross stitch projects before Christmas though.

Robin

Debbie
11-09-2005, 07:43 AM
I usually do some kind of swatch when I get new yarn because I can't wait to knit it ... even if I am not ready to make the project. My swatches are various sizes and stitches and always become some sort of Barbie outfit for my Granddaughter's dolls..... did you know if you turn a "shawl" backwards it becomes a shirt ... and move it down a bit it becomes a skirt.... larger swatches are beach towels and dresses. She can get a Barbie hand through almost any gauge to make arm holes ! knitting in the round becomes hats ... soup bowls, pillows,

Mostly, I just can't resist seeing what a new yarn will look like knitted up.
Now, do I write it all down and know exactly what my gauge is when I get ready for a project ....um.... well Barbie needs a skirt to match that shawl ... but usually I can dig through the Barbie clothes and find what I am looking for :)

Ingrid
11-09-2005, 08:57 AM

I'm swatching now!! I need something to clean my gun!! Watch out little girl, watch out!! :roflhard:

VickiIL
11-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I almost never swatch! I make sure the weight is the same and then go. Rarely do I make things that must fit though. (I have never done a sweater)

As far as yarn hording goes. I do both. I buy yarn always with a project in mind BUT I don't at all wait until I need a project to buy yarn. And recently I have bought yarn because I liked it and had a coupon or something and just HAD to get it then. (I mean it would be irresponsible of me to pass up a discount just because I have an entire cabinet full of unknitted yarn, right?)

KellyK
11-09-2005, 09:13 AM
It would be downright WASTEFUL, Vick! Absolutely SINFUL!!

I have LOTS of yarn, all with projects in mind for it.....not necessarily PATTERNS, but projects.

Ronda
11-09-2005, 09:34 AM
This topic is so timely for me! I had been buying my yarn from Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics. Then I went to a BEAUTIFUL yarn store in my area. I was in there 1-1/2 hours just staring at the beautiful and EXPENSIVE yarn! I wanted to buy so much of it, but of course, I have no patterns in mind. It was really hard to walk out of there without everything I wanted. I restrained myself though. I am not anywhere near ready to try socks yet (I've only done scarves and one little purse and I'm working on a pillow) but I bought sock yarn and a pattern and double pointed needles. I also bought their most expensive circular needles (they came highly recommended! LOL). I am supposed to be working right now (bad Ronda!) but I can't help myself from stopping in here to see what's going on, and this topic fit so well with my own experience lately I just had to comment! I just want to buy all that yarn, but I have no idea what to do with it!

tigger0229
11-09-2005, 09:47 AM
me too Ronda, I want to buy it all, but don't have any idea what I'd do with it, plus I know about dye lots, so I'm afraid to buy several skeins and then decide to do a LARGE project, and not be able to match the dyelot.
my first knitting was a pair of socks. Well I should say one sock, as the other one hasn't been started yet. I stopped to do my g'daughters baby blanket. I need to finish the other sock tho. LOL.
but I'm on the pullover for my husband and he's asking if he'll be wearing it next week. :roflhard:
I said, no but for sure this winter. LOL. I'm halfway done with the front.

Ronda
11-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Oh tigger - forgot to mention that I, too, love to cross stitch. I have not done anything for a while though. Now I'm too busy knitting to cross stitch!

I don't wanna work - I wanna knit!!!!!!!! :XX:

I'm yearning for the day when I can knit some of the beautiful things I've seen you all do on this site. You guys do some beautiful work - and I'm still at the scarf level! :( This pillow I'm doing is scaring me a bit. I've done a whopping 2 rows on it! I figure I'll do a row at a time and take my time with it. I'd rather go slowly than make a mistake, get frustrated, and chuck the whole project. Once I finish the pillow, I'll move on to bigger and better things. :)

tigger0229
11-09-2005, 10:22 AM
OH GREAT, a another ccs'er. Do you have any fav designers?
I love shepherd's bush, just nan, lizzie kate, bent creek, victoria sampler, linda driskell, and soooo many more.
As for knitting, doing one row and taking time sounds like a great plan.
When I first started knitting, I looked at the entire sock pattern and thought OH MY, what have I done! then I decided to take it one step at a time and it was very easy!
:cheering:

Ronda
11-09-2005, 11:07 AM
No favorites, although I do like a lot of the Victoria Samplers. They are just beautiful and I have bought one of the kits. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I used to subscribe to For the Love of Cross Stitch but I don't get that anymore. A lot of stuff I have done has been from there. My favorite cross stitch store went out of business, so the only places I really have now are JoAnn's and Michael's. I'm finding that the specialty stores are the best places for patterns/yarns/etc. rather than the craft stores.

Sara
11-09-2005, 12:12 PM
I never buy without a specific project in mind. That doesn't mean that I get them all done, or start them all. I also tend to forget what project I bought it for in the first place, so then it becomes random stash. My stash doesn't fill a laundry basket.

I really try to swatch. I didn't when I started the mitten I'm currently working on and I realized that I need to use a double strand on these to get the gauge I need to felt it. :doh: Lesson learned, yet again.

ebrperk
11-09-2005, 03:10 PM
Tigger I really like Lizzie Kate, Bent Creek too. The store that I buy my stuff from when I go visit family in Kansas is where Lizzie Kate has her framing done. She lives in Wichita, KS. Kind of neat and one of the girls that works there is related to one of the designers at Bent Creek. Such a small world. I also have discovered Mystic Stitch that has large very detailed patterns. The one I am working on (kind of) is going to be over 38,000 stitches by the time it is done. Hopefully it will look okay.

Robin

rebecca
11-09-2005, 03:23 PM
I buy yarn with a specific project in mind, unless it's sock yarn, I buy it for socks, yes....just not specific socks...I buy sock yarn bc I'm addicted to knitting socks :D
AND
I CAN'T BELIEVE U PEOPLE DON'T SWATCH :shock: !!! I confess, I don't swatch everything :blush: , only things I want to fit, for example if I'm making a sock or a hat, etc ;)

brendajos
11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Tigger I really like Lizzie Kate, Bent Creek too. The store that I buy my stuff from when I go visit family in Kansas is where Lizzie Kate has her framing done. She lives in Wichita, KS. Kind of neat and one of the girls that works there is related to one of the designers at Bent Creek. Such a small world. I also have discovered Mystic Stitch that has large very detailed patterns. The one I am working on (kind of) is going to be over 38,000 stitches by the time it is done. Hopefully it will look okay.

Robin

when i CS i am a lizzie kate and bent creek kinda girl too! i only do about one pattern a year though. i always start a second without remembering that i get bored with it after the first project is finished! ;)

tigger0229
11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Robin, I have seen the mystic stitch charts. very detailed. Which one are you doing?
my current projects are Celtic Christmas by lavender and lace, Homeland (bought as a kit from stitchery online and it's so pretty. going in my americana guest bedrooom when it's done and I'm over halfway), a hardanger table scarf by Lorrie Birmingham, and a few others.
A friend and I do lots of the retreats and we did SB in Utah, and this year did the Drawn Thread cruise. It was GREAT!
My friend did a BC retreat (I didn't go) and she loved the sisters and their stories.
Brenda, there's nothing like starting new projedts! LOVE that feeling.
:cheering:

ebrperk
11-09-2005, 05:58 PM
I am working on Golden Tulips. I have a very long way to go.

Robin