View Full Version : Is there anything I should know in advance about thick

knitting4babybear
11-08-2005, 04:58 PM
and thin yarns?

Before I go off the deep end..... :shock:

:inlove:

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Besides that the thin yarns are skinny and the thick yarns are fat? :rofling: Sorry!

What are your concerns?

brendajos
11-08-2005, 05:03 PM
seeeeeee i saw that answer lurking out there and walked away....it took everything i could...it makes me sad to know that you are weaker than me Ingrid! :rofling:

I personally am not much of a fan of thick/thin yarns beyond that they knit up with a cool texture. i just find that they don't really seem to work in my mind for the projects that i want to do. i am probably wrong and they probably work fine....just my perception.

*shakes head at Ingrid and walks away giggling*

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 05:05 PM
It's been a long day. Just needed a comic relief fix. :shifty:

knitting4babybear
11-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Well just USE ME UP, then Ingy! :roflhard:

The main concern is that I don't know if there are concerns I need to have because I've never used it before. :roflhard:

The more immediate one that comes to mind is: do the thin parts create tiny stitches and the larger parts make fat ones? And if so, doesn't that look a l'il strange?

knitting4babybear
11-08-2005, 05:14 PM
seeeeeee i saw that answer lurking out there and walked away....it took everything i could...it makes me sad to know that you are weaker than me Ingrid! :rofling:
I personally am not much of a fan of thick/thin yarns beyond that they knit up with a cool texture. i just find that they don't really seem to work in my mind for the projects that i want to do. i am probably wrong and they probably work fine....just my perception.

*shakes head at Ingrid and walks away giggling*

Yeah - I left myself WIDE OPEN for that one. I should know better with all the cleverlings on KH. :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Yarn with varied thickness knits up into fabric with varied thickness--or I should say textured. Some of them are very cool looking.

Mer
11-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Yeah, there are some spots where you may have little holes if a lot of thin parts line up together, but I think the texture is cool and it really doesn't affect the finished piece much.

Here's a top I made with a thick-thin yarn:

Purple Halter (http://merknits.blogspirit.com/album/finished_objects/halter_small_pic.3.html)

Sorry I don't have a closeup.

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Apparently that's the "thin" version!! :lol: :lol:

Just jealous, that's all. :verysad:

Joel
11-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Ingrid.... thank you for the prompt smart aleck answer.... :roflhard:

Mer... that top is really cool.

K4BB... you're one up on me... I didnt know there was such a yarn. Who'da thunk it?

Mer
11-08-2005, 06:35 PM
:P

but thanks ingrid! I seem to recall a gorgeous picture of you on here, so I don't know what you're talking about.

knitting4babybear
11-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah, there are some spots where you may have little holes if a lot of thin parts line up together, but I think the texture is cool and it really doesn't affect the finished piece much.

Here's a top I made with a thick-thin yarn:

Purple Halter (http://merknits.blogspirit.com/album/finished_objects/halter_small_pic.3.html)

Sorry I don't have a closeup.

Mer! With the Mush Mush twin cat!

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm buying it! *sigh* I may have to give up food, but I can handle that.

Good GOD, I NEED this yarn!!!! Looks like it knits up fine. I gotta have. We'll converse when it gets here.

:rofling: @ Ingrid....... I wish there was a job I could get laughing at your jokes. They're so constant...unlike jobs. :roflhard:

JLMSGC, :roflhard:

Getting a pic of the unspeakable beauty that is the subject of my covetousness.....

BRB....

knitting4babybear
11-08-2005, 06:41 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

http://www.pippikneesocks.com/forsale/sugarmag.jpg

http://www.pippikneesocks.com/forsale/lilly.jpg

http://www.pippikneesocks.com/forsale/grannyx3.jpg

Lord,
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Amen.

Mer
11-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Ooooooo! Purdy. :drooling:

HeatherFeather
11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
I would covet that for SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!! how on EARTH do they make such pretty colors....sigh....lol.....

love the one you're with Heather...plain and simple...lol....

Ingrid
11-08-2005, 06:56 PM
:shock: Be still my heart! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Joel
11-08-2005, 07:35 PM

HUH? :??

Wow! Nice yarn.

brendajos
11-08-2005, 07:35 PM
that looks like goods from Helloyarn....i had to stop stalking their website because i wanted everything!

brendajos
11-08-2005, 07:36 PM

Wow! Nice yarn.

i think those are the initials of what kelly called you the other day...joely louise moopy smooopy whatevah..... i think

knitting4babybear
11-08-2005, 08:25 PM

Wow! Nice yarn.

i think those are the initials of what kelly called you the other day...joely louise moopy smooopy whatevah..... i thinkYou're right. :roflhard:

LOL! Joely...you're gonna have to do better about your name.....

MaryS
11-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Hi K4BB,

I've done two sweaters, one hat, and one scarf in Crystal Palace Musique (lagoon colorway) which is a thick/thin yarn. The colors are lovely, and it feels SOOOO soft, and a little fuzzy.

I've also done the same sweater in Paton's Anna yarn (which is now discontinued). The sweater pattern I've used was written for the Anna yarn, but it's mostly just reverse stockinette stitch with some waist shaping and bell sleeves, and a V-neck. The gauges of the patterns I've used with thick/thin have all been written for bulky weight yarn, and that's about the way most of the thick/thin yarns I've seen knit up, so bear this in mind when selecting a pattern for thick/thin. There can be some spots where the fabric is a tad thin, but overall the textured effect is pretty nice.

A couple of pointers: If you're doing a long tail cast on, pick a spot for your slip knot that's kind of "medium" so you don't get two really thick pieces of yarn together right at the beginning of your cast on. It can be really hard to work that way and looks kind of "wonky".

Pointer 2: When you go to join a new ball of yarn, I always work three or four stitches in a thin part of both the old and new yarns held together. It doesn't make the fabric too thick, and gives a really secure join. When I join with this type of yarn, I always join in the middle of a row, not on the edges. The texture of the yarn can make the edges a little uneven as is, and trying to join at the edge just exaggerates this.

Knitting with thick/thin yarn, especially in some of the gorgeous colorways out there, is a great way to put Both color and texture into a same object without having to change colors or deal with complicated stitch patterns. Plus it's usually a fairly "quick knit" too!

Don't be afraid of it and HAVE FUN!!! :happydance:

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

Joel
11-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Wow! Nice yarn.

i think those are the initials of what kelly called you the other day...joely louise moopy smooopy whatevah..... i thinkYou're right. :roflhard:

LOL! Joely...you're gonna have to do better about your name.....

Easier said than done when they keep extending it every week... :roflhard: