PDA

View Full Version : JULIE!! Knitpicks Decadence....

KellyK
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Does Decadence REALLY knit up at 3.5 sts on 9-11 needles? Is there ANY chance you could consider it a heavy worsted instead of a bulky??

DotMom61
01-14-2006, 01:27 PM
'kay ... I'm just running through the posts w/out replies right now, and I ran across this, and I'm assuming you were asking the *other* Julie, right??? Cause I ain't never used this yarn afore.

Did you get your answer?

Julie
01-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Why yes, as a matter of fact I think it could be considered heavy worsted, if memory serves me. Let me go swatch it, though, and get back to you. :D

DotMom61
01-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Julie --

I'd hold off on that swatch ... did you see the date of Kelly's original post? It was way back in November. She may not need to know anymore. I was just trying to stir up trouble. ;-)

Julie
01-14-2006, 01:48 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

How on earth did I miss a post with my name in big capital letters???

FWIW, on US8s I got 4 sts/inch -- kind of a dense fabric though. ;)

DotMom61
01-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Well, apparently it wasn't overly important to her 'cause she didn't follow up on it. And, yeah, that's what caught my attention, too! ;-) But I miss so much out here, that it's not even funny. I pretty much only look at posts that I get email notifcations on, and then occasionally I get to come out and look at other stuff, which is what I was doing today.

So, should we just completely nap this thread and start talking about something completely off the wall?

:?? I can't think of anything completely off the wall. Oh, I know ... rugs ... rugs are completely off the wall. Unless, of course, you use them as wall hangings.

Julie
01-14-2006, 01:57 PM
:roflhard:

Hey, did you see my post in the spinning thread? We kool-aid dyed yarn on Wednesday. Veeeery fun! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
01-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Have you ever knit a rug? What kind of yarn would you use? Is there such a thing as rug yarn? I know I could go look, but I was curious and I'm lazy right now. :roflhard: :roflhard:

DotMom61
01-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Julie -- I missed your thread, but I'll go take a look at it. I've been wanting to do mine, too, but I keep putting everything off until I get this @#$* shawl done.

Jan -- Cute ;-) And, by the way, I *have* knit a rug (but I ripped it out), and I have another one started and in my stash basket. It's a modular one made w/ mitered squares, and I think I'm actually going to make a table runner out of it instead! So, that's off the wall, too, isn't it? :cheering: Oh, and here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1579907474/sr=1-1/qid=1137262012/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1256138-0859964?%5Fencoding=UTF8). You'll enjoy this. ;-)

KellyK
01-14-2006, 02:14 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I think I posted this whist researching yarns for my sweater....I hope you didnt waste much time on that swatch, Julie! And, if you did, well then, I hope the info comes in handy for someone else! :heart:

And, havent you folks learned how to threadnap yet??? All you have to say is the B-WORD!!!!

CateKnits
01-14-2006, 02:22 PM
*ahem*
BOOBIES.
That is all.

DotMom61
01-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, of course we know how to thread-nap in the traditional and ordinary way ... I was trying to be creative! :rollseyes:

KellyK
01-14-2006, 02:26 PM
*tsk tsk* Hildie will be disappointed, Jul.....

DotMom61
01-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Naaah ... Hilde appreciates creativity, I just know she does. ;-)

Oh, I know, perhaps this will do it:

"The hills are aliiiiiiiiivvvveeee .... with the sound of myoooooosic!"

Julie
01-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Man, I leave the computer for a few hours and look what happens to our thread. :roflhard:

Julie, DD picked out colors for her skein and did most of the dying herself...with a little parental guidance of course...this is definitely something cool to do with the kiddos :thumbsup:

DotMom61
01-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Yet another thing I've postponed because of the shawl. :mad:

I. Must. Go. Finish. It. NOW!

Arugula
01-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Maybe we should make the the convergence of the Julies thread :roflhard:

DotMom61
01-15-2006, 01:57 AM
:waving: Hi Julie!! Maybe we could get one of our beloved mods to rename this thread for us ... Hmmm ... what would a good name be? I'm too tired to be creative.

BTW ... My Mom, Dad, sister & family all live in CO. Sister used to live in Parker -- not too terribly far from you -- but they all live up in Loveland now. (I watched the Broncos win this evening!)

Arugula
01-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I'm a horrible Coloradan since I am not a Broncos fan. :oops: Shhh, don't tell anyone. But I am not much of a football fan either. We've only lived here about 3 years, I've really grown to love it but dh still pines for the Sierra Foothills. ;)

DotMom61
01-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, I'm not a big football fan, but DH has foregone all football watching this year for other obligations. So, I had to give him a day of football. ;-) He, unfortunately, is a Washington Redskins fan, and he had to watch them lose their playoff game yesterday.

There's so much to see out there in CO ... do you ski or anything???

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-15-2006, 05:05 PM
boobies and the sound of music.... what more could I ask for??? :roflhard:

Arugula
01-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I grew up in central California so I never learned to ski and since I have a severe height phobia, I really don't think I ever will. But the hiking is great and the weather is beautiful. Yesterday it was around 60 and our family went bouldering/scrambling for the first time. It was great, I can't wait til they are older and we can do more aggressive rock climbing.

DotMom61
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm not much of a skier, either. I've gone a few times and had fun, but I'm so out of shape right now I think the altitude itself might kill me! :help: But I love to go hiking out there, too. My family is just East of Rocky Mtn National Park and Estes Park. So, when we go out to visit, we usually end up spending at least *one* day in the mountains hiking or something. I love going shopping up in Estes.

The last time we were out there DS and I went on a tour through the Celestial Seasonings factory up near Boulder. What a great tour! And we hit the National Center for Atmospheric Research, too. Another good one, but probably better for kids in upper elementary or middle school. DH and I enjoyed it, though. ;-)

Julie
01-16-2006, 08:49 PM
My Dad lives in the Springs :D

DotMom61
01-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Cool! My sister's MIL lives in the Springs, and so do my next-door neighbor's parents. As a matter of fact, they're there now. I love going out there to visit.

Arugula
01-17-2006, 10:01 AM
see, it IS a convergence of Julies! :roflhard: :roflhard:

We just go to the nature center right now and exploring and going to parks. Our downtown library is pretty fun, bunnies to pet and a play house and duplo blocks. I really want to take the kids to the Children's Museum in Denver but it is so expensive! We also go to the zoo a lot, 3 times a week in the summer (thank god for membership!). The kids are almost 4 and 1.5 so we can't do a whole lot of educational stuff yet or things that require a long attention span. Or even an average attention span, come to think of it :lol:. They really loved North Pole, I thought it would be lame and it is really expensive to get it (ds's class went as a field trip so our whole family got in free!) Once inside, though, the food prices are really affordable and the rides were all scaled to small children, ds is about 40" tall and could ride everything by himself. They had a blast! Haven't been to Cave of the Winds or Seven Falls. I HAVE been to Royal Gorge and found it really disappointing for the price of admission. Don't get me wrong, it is a very deep gorge, I just didn't feel that it was $20 per person fantastic. Especially when you think about how the Grand Canyon is free... Feel free to give me links to fun stuff, especially if it is cheap, I love taking the kids on adventures. :D

DotMom61
01-17-2006, 11:31 AM
I believe it was Cave of the Winds that we went to when DS was about 3, and DD was just a baby. It was pretty cool, but that was the place where DS got the bright idea of climbing to the top of a rail to look through one of the viewers while we had turned away for about ... oh ... 3 seconds. When I turned around and saw him, he was teetering on top of the rail, and on the other side was about a 500' drop. :shock:

That was *terrifying* ... I will never forget it. I felt like a failure as a parent, and I've never hugged him more tightly. I just kept seeing flashes of the horrible things that could've happened.

Anyway, I'll see if I can come up with some of the neat places we went. Oh! The Butterfly Pavilion would probably be great for your kids -- unless they like to swat bugs. :lol: I can't remember what the admission is -- it's been several years since we went -- but it's a really cool place.

Oh, and what's the name of that restaurant where they have the cliff divers??? Oh yes ... Casa Bonita ... not an especially economical place to eat, if I recall correctly, but the whole environment is pretty incredible. (A little cheesey, though.)

I'll see if I can come up with some others as well ... but it's time to get breakfast, do a little educational stuff, and then off to the dentist! (I can't believe how much time I'm able to "waste" on this forum ... it's just too fun to come out here and talk with everyone. ARgh!)

Julie
01-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Casa Bonita :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

On our first trip to CO my BIL explained that we MUST go there, you can't visit without experiencing Casa Bonita!

DotMom61
01-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah, we heard about it for quite a while before we actually *experienced* it. Pretty cheesy, eh? But the kids really got a kick out of it. DS got to play the maracas w/ the band. The cliff diving *was* pretty impressive, but I don't remember that the food was all the impressive -- or perhaps I'm remembering another place.

Anyway, it's worth the trip just to know what others are talking about. ;-)

So, where do *you* visit in CO, Julie? Do you have relatives out there, too?? Did I miss something, or is my short-term memory just lapsing. :??

Julie
01-17-2006, 08:50 PM
The food is awful :roflhard:

My sister is right outside of Denver (BIL grew up there) and my Dad is in the Springs...we've only made one trip to each place. We did get to spend a day in Breckenridge this summer which was beautiful -- other than that we stuck close to home planning and having parties :balloons:

Of course I did get to visit Showers of Flowers (http://showersofflowers.com/index.html) while I was there! :D

Arugula
01-18-2006, 12:26 PM
OMG, you should never have shown me that!!!!

You know, I have seen Casa Bonita ads on TV and never heard a word about cliff divers and never had it recommended to me. It is my humble opinion that people in the Springs have no standards when it comes to cuisine. Anyone who has eaten at Red Top (and hasn't come from here) will agree with me! It is pretty hard to find really good food here, dh and I are foodies so it has been tough.

Julie
01-18-2006, 01:00 PM
But Juuuulie...you have Chik-fil-a!! ;)

Arugula
01-19-2006, 12:50 PM
o...m...g!! Don't get me started about the chik-fil-a fans here. I think there is something genetically wrong with them or maybe it is the water-we use a Brita pitcher and filter out all the bad taste. Get it, bad taste? Sometimes I amaze myself with my wit :roflhard: :roflhard:

DotMom61
01-20-2006, 01:47 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: (slappin' my knee, too!)

You know ... now that you mentioned it, I can't remember ever going to really good restaurant while we were in CO. :?? We usually just resort to the chain restaurants like Applebees, Fridays and Black-Eyed Pea -- at least you know what to expect there. Fortunately, my folks got over their Old Country Buffet kick (blech).

Arugula
01-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Finally, someone who understands my pain! You are my new best friend :roflhard:

Julie
01-20-2006, 11:36 AM
We went to White Fence Farm! :thumbsup:

jsauer
01-20-2006, 04:07 PM
There are lots of great places to eat in CO - they're just ever changing, you never know one minute to the next who's going to close and who's going to open in their place.

Arugula
01-22-2006, 12:23 AM
I'm not debating the whole state, just the Springs. There are a few places downtown that are good but also a lot that just think they are.

DotMom61
01-22-2006, 09:05 PM
We've been to White Fence Farm ... I remember it being sort of like eating at your Great Aunt's house, and they had a big bowl of PEAS. Yuck! The chicken was good, though, if I recall. It's been many years.

And, after writing that, I remembered a great place that we went to eat in Ft. Collins. It was a really nice restaurant, but I can't remember the name of it. Oh, and a couple of years ago, we went out w/ my sister & BIL. We had a really nice dinner except for the big chunk of broken glass in my BIL's iced tea! :shock: It was an honest mistake, and they ended up paying for his dinner.

I didn't mean to make a sweeping comment re: the whole state! It probably has a lot to do with WHO is taking you out to dinner, too. ;-)