PDA

View Full Version : OT: Crochet ?

silveridger
11-10-2005, 03:58 PM
I know, I know, it's a knitting list... but I am dabbling in a simple triangular shawl pattern that's crocheted with a gigantic hook (I think it's a Q) and the shape just isn't coming out right. Here's the concept: chain as long as the wide end of the shawl should be (such as wrist to wrist). Turn, skip the first loop, single crochet across until there's 2 loops left. Do a decrease (run the hook through the last 2 loops and single crochet through them), chain one, turn. Skip the first loop, single crochet across to the last 2 loops, decrease, etc. until there's no loops left. My instructor does it, my classmates did it, but MY shawls keep coming out too short. It reminds me of, when knitting, you make a triangular shawl by decreasing on one side only for an equilateral triangle, or decreasing on both sides for a shorter triangle (like a shawl you can wear while sitting that you don't have to sit *on*.) What could I be doing wrong? Perhaps I should try one with a decrease on one side only? Any suggestions or direction to a good instructional website or blog would be greatly appreciated.

sogrammatical
11-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Make sure you're skipping only the first loop after the chain. I learned how to crochet a little over a year ago and I remember the hardest part was not missing the first loop. It'll be right there next to the chain, and the tendency when you're just crochetting normally is to ignore that loop and start at the second loop. You might be ignoring the first loop, skipping the second loop, and starting at the third loop.

That's my guess as to what's happening.

feministmama
11-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Nothing wrong with a little crochet. We swing both ways here :shock:

VictoiseC
11-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Ha. swingers are weeeeeeeeee :happydance:

I'm thinking of crocheting a hat for a change since I saw some really pretty ones recently.

sogrammatical
11-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Crochetting a hat is soooooooooooo easy!

If you'd like, I could whip up a "pattern" (I don't know any of the techical terms for stuff, so it would be more of a description) for a really simple crochetted hat.

I made a bunch in Harry Potter colors last winter and sold them for a fundraiser.

brendajos
11-10-2005, 06:26 PM
well i don't know nuthin' 'bout crocheting and get very frustrated when i see a pattern that tells me i need to crochet something cuz i just can't seem to get it (yes i have this problem with anything when i get frustrated at all!)

however...my point.....i think you should take this question to www.crochethelp.com and see if they can help you. I hear it is one of the best sites out there!

Norman
11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
.i think you should take this question to www.crochethelp.com and see if they can help you. I hear it is one of the best sites out there!

*LAUGHS* That's kinda funny.. one of these days.. ya think that will actually be a site that will get developed.. My wife would love that

Joel
11-10-2005, 07:16 PM
.i think you should take this question to www.crochethelp.com and see if they can help you. I hear it is one of the best sites out there!

*LAUGHS* That's kinda funny.. one of these days.. ya think that will actually be a site that will get developed.. My wife would love that

If I had a server... I wouldve already started it.

(Im a little surprised you havent started it...)

Norman
11-10-2005, 07:17 PM
I Would.. but we would need permission from the ole great amy.. actually I Was going to start one, until I noticed that that URL was already taken :)

silveridger
11-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Make sure you're skipping only the first loop after the chain. Good suggestion, I'll pay particular attention to it and see if that's what I'm doing.

however...my point.....i think you should take this question to www.crochethelp.com and see if they can help you. I hear it is one of the best sites out there!

Ha! Very funny, I didn't know and actually clicked on it! :lol:

Actually, I joined a list called "crochetlist" and posted my question on another knitting list too. I've gotten the same response from them both: good chance I'm decreasing more stitches than I *think* I am. Someone also agreed that decreasing once per row might solve the problem as well, but it would still mean I'm doing something wrong, because it *should* work. And both told me to swatch and figure it out before starting another shawl: now where have I heard that before? :lol:

brendajos
11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
;)