PDA

View Full Version : Alternating continental and english?

Jan in CA
11-11-2005, 11:34 PM
I've been knitting a lot today and my right wrist is tired..can you switch continental and english methods within a piece or is it better not to?

Ingrid
11-12-2005, 12:02 AM
I think there'd be a risk of your gauge changing if you switch.

KellyK
11-12-2005, 12:56 AM
I agree....although, I suppose if you really worked on it, you could learn to knit both at the same gauge...

Lacedolphin
11-12-2005, 06:23 AM
I have learned to knit in English and purl cont. so the tasks are about even.

ella
11-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm a little nervous about alternating between english and continental within the same piece (don't think my gauge is the same) but I usually try to have at least one project I'm knitting english and one piece continental, so if my hands start hurting, I switch to the other project. This has really helped keep my hands/wrists from hurting. Hope you feel better!

Licensed2Cook
11-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Yes, you can do this. (I am empowering you :) ) I do this everytime I knit fair-isle items. You almost have to do this so you can work fluidly through the piece without so much switching yarns and untangling. It definitely takes a bit of practice though so make some dishclothes or something to try it out on.

Jan in CA
11-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the info! I've never done anything worth checking my gauge for yet so I don't know if it would be the same. I actually started out continental, but found purling very awkward so I taught myself english method. I was just wondering if something was different about it because when I switched the yarn to my left hand the stitches looked odd, but I guess they were just pulled different. I'll probably just take a break if I get tired or achy, but it's good know I can switch if needed.

cheesiesmom
11-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I taught myself to continental from Amy's vids. If I'm just doing straight k and p continental is fine; but if I'm working a pattern with a lot of yo's or k2tog (lace sort of thing) and I have to "think" a lot, I find myself going back to english. Or if I'm knitting for a long time and my hands/wrists get tired. I haven't noticed a difference in gauge, but most of my work hasn't been very gauge-dependent.