PDA

View Full Version : stitch marker makers

koolbreeze
11-13-2005, 10:45 AM
i need some help on making stitch markers. i couldn't find any rings big enough...so i just used beading wire. i don't like this look. so could anyone point me in the direction of where to find bigger rings? and how do you connect the wire to the ring and it looks neat?
thanks

Vendie
11-13-2005, 11:07 AM
I had a hard time finding any jump rings bigger than 10mm, but I know they exist.

On mine, I use round nose pliers to roll the head pin into a loop. Some people use crimp beads to secure a nice loop. I think it might just depend on what materials you're using. But I'm no expert on this, I just kind of made it up as I went along.

punkhippiemom
11-13-2005, 11:10 AM
They have special pliers that are made for beading/jewelry making that have a much narrower, rounded point to them, and help to make your wire bend more evenly...you can make your own rings out of beading wire easily if you have these pliers, as well... when I use my regular pliers, my rings always turn out lopsided :(

Carol_OH
11-13-2005, 12:11 PM
what I use is the round half of a toggle!
I still need to find out what to do with the other half as I cannot bear to toss them out! but most toggles I have found only go up to a size 10.5 needle, so for larger needles I have used pre-made wire rings that folks use to make wine glass charms.

there...I have told all my secrets! ;)

punkhippiemom
11-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I *almost* used one of DH's old earrings last night (he no longer wears them :verysad: said something about having to appear 'respectable' :rollseyes: LOL) but just couldn't quite see using 14k gold as a stitch marker :roflhard: :roflhard:

koolbreeze
11-13-2005, 01:25 PM
FiberGirl~ i know i can't find any either. maybe i'll have to check out a bead store... :thinking: but i do have the rounded pilers. i love them! i'll have to look for the beads next time i go to the craft store. thanks!

Carol~ whats a toggle?

PH~ my husband stop wearing his earings for that same reason! :rollseyes:

punkhippiemom
11-13-2005, 02:21 PM
LOL Carmell - he also stopped dyeing his hair green, but that I could understand... :roflhard: :roflhard:

knitting4babybear
11-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Glad to see this thread. I couldn't find any this morning when I went either. There were some (Micheal's) but all of the larger ones weren't a smooth unbroken circle. Looked like they'd snag on the needle. :(

I'll keep looking....

Carol_OH
11-13-2005, 03:57 PM
LOL Carmell - he also stopped dyeing his hair green, but that I could understand... :roflhard: :roflhard:

err, my husband stopped wearing jewelry in his piercings too, but ummm he doesn't have pierced ears!

:shock:

TMI? I think so! :roflhard:

Carol_OH
11-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Carol~ whats a toggle?

here's a fancy dancy one - I got really simple ones at Michaels or WalMart or someplace.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H152615FD

CateKnits
11-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Speaking of piercings :P ...It pains me to think I'll have to give up my piercings someday. I stopped wearing most of my earrings because my employer says two per ear and TINY. :rollseyes: I walked in to visit one day with my nose stud still in and saw some jaws drop. :D

punkhippiemom
11-13-2005, 04:38 PM
LOL...
I always thought I'd look good with my nose pierced, but my job(s) wouldn't really allow that sort of decoration ;)
At one place I worked, I went in and had just got the top of my ear pierced... they told me to take it out... I put up a little fight, but I took it out, and then put it back in after work.. It got SOOOOO infected, I was in tears from the painand I had to let it close and heal... :evil: :mad: :evil: :mad: :evil: :mad: :evil:

Carol~ whats a toggle?
err, my husband stopped wearing jewelry in his piercings too, but ummm he doesn't have pierced ears!
:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
:roflhard:

foldedbird
11-13-2005, 04:55 PM
I use halves of toggles, too.

CateKnits
11-13-2005, 05:17 PM
PHM - I got two new holes in the tops of mine about a month before I had to have an MRI. :evil: I took them out and put them back in and one survived! I've got something like 17 holes in my ears now, but really only wear two earrings in one and one in the other. I got my nose done last year, so it was plenty healed enough to take it out for work over the summer. I took it out in the car on the way there and put it back in on my way out and it was fine.
I saw one of the OR nurses wandering around with a nose piercing, though, and I was very ticked off. :evil:
I'm going to stop hijacking this thread now. :oops:

foldedbird
11-13-2005, 05:22 PM
What's the big deal bout the OR nurse having a nose peircing?

CateKnits
11-13-2005, 05:24 PM
No one working at the hospital is allowed to wear them while working.

foldedbird
11-13-2005, 05:26 PM
That's just silly...unless she sticks her finger in her nose, or some prude makes a complaint I don't understand why.

CateKnits
11-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, it bothered me because one of my coworkers was reprimanded because her pants ended a couple of inches above the tops of shoes but they don't bother enforcing the rules on everyone. If you're going to have a dress code, it should be equally enforced.
And the reason for not having piercings has something to do with "cultural sensitivity." Basically, we're not to wear anything that anyone could find offensive and apparently some people are offended by looking at metal in faces. :shock: Besides, with things like large earrings, bracelets, and necklaces (which we are also not to wear), there's the safety issue of a patient grabbing them, etc.

Vendie
11-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Where I work, it's ok to have a nose piercing so long as you are not out in the manufacturing areas. There, you're not even allowed to wear makeup in some parts and earings have to be covered. But that's more of an issue with the potential for something to fall into the final product which would be very very bad.

But geesh, an OR nurse? wouldn't she have a face mask on anyway to cover it up?

I used to have my eyebrow pierced in college and grad school. DH was kinda sad when I finally had to take it out. :(

sogrammatical
11-13-2005, 07:57 PM
I've heard of plastic retainers that you can put in facial piercings so they won't close up. They're really hard to see too.

I've wanted to get my nose pierced for a while now, but I'm allergic to a few kinds of metals, so it probably wouldn't work out well.

CateKnits
11-13-2005, 08:07 PM
I have one of those retainers for my nose, but it's too flexible so it's really hard to get in. I usually don't bother.
The first stud I had was titainium. I've got that, gold, and stainless steel and haven't had a problem yet. I think the only metal to which I'm allergic is nickel. :??
Seriously, I'm going to stop hijacking this thread now. :oops:

Carol_OH
11-13-2005, 09:26 PM
check out an on-line pals body piercing jewelry store:

Kata's shop (http://dirtyteez.biz/catalog/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=20728b93843a5590152938c8417251d3)

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 12:05 AM
:shock: If I were a patient, I'd be way more offended by an employee getting reprimanded for wearing an earring in their nose or because their pants were 1 inch longer than what the 'rules' say. I'm sitting here trying to figure out how the quality of care is effected by these things, but I'm drawing a blank.

CateKnits
11-14-2005, 12:13 AM
I don't know. Ask the evil Human Resources Department. Or ask the Joint Commission that evaluates us. My friend worked at an ice cream shop that told her to take out her lip ring. How does a piercing affect ice cream scooping? It doesn't, but it's a dress code. She said she didn't want to take it out, so she had to find a new job. I follow the stupid rules because I find it easier to remove my nosering than to find a job that will pay me that much.

Totalele
11-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I know you guys aren't talking about this anymore... :oops: But I found those at JoAnn.com

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82328&PRODID=108591

**butting out**

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 10:09 AM
LOL don't be embarrassed about staying on topic, silly goose! Why, it's an accomplishment for some of us (meaning me). hehe!