PDA

View Full Version : 11/14 good morning

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 10:17 AM
I had a great weekend knitting and am almost done with the front of the sweatshirt!! I have about 5 rows on the upper right shoulder and I can bind off and start the back.
it's pretty gray this morn, maybe we'll get some needed rain.
how's everyone?? :D

kemp
11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
hey tigger! Can't wait to see the sweatshirt.

Norman
11-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Heah Tigger.. Good Morning :)

Glad to see you had a good weekend..
This weekend I picked up "The Knitters Bible" and I'm really enjoying that book.. it has a good section on Fair Isle and Intarsia (my next foray) and some stich patterns .. and a big section on doing sweaters..

My dad used to love to make sweaters and afghans.. that's all he did.. he's thinking about getting back into knitting since he's retired now.. :) We'll see

Anyway.. Once I get this blanket done, I may start some intarsia..

kemp
11-14-2005, 10:39 AM
That would be awesome if your dad got back into knitting! I can just picture the two of you hanging out, afghans in lap, knitting along. I keep telling my husband he should let me teach him, but he always looks at me like I'm nuts. I just think it would be cool to have someone that close to share it with.

Norman
11-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Yeah you know most guys.. :rollseyes: anyway.. I hope to do an afghan with him at least once.. he's up there in age.. and not in the best of health.. so I hope.. he helped me a bit with tension.. but he said to my just this saturday

"My tension has always been tight.. that's why I don't do many clothes"

:lol: Cause my tension is hellishly tight on somethings.. but I've getting better :p

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 10:52 AM
NORMAN, I've been trying to get my hands on that book and it's very elusive here!
I'll end up ordering from BAM online.
tell me what you think about it??
I ended up getting the Encylopedia of Knitting by Donna Kooler and i've enjoyed it so far. Haven't had time to really read it, as I've been knitting in a frenzy. My hands are sore I did so much knitting over the weekend, but I"M NOT COMPLAINING!!!!
:rofling: :XX: :rofling: :XX: :XX: :rofling: :XX: :cheering: :cheering:

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Kemp, I will post a pic when I get my dh's sweatshirt done. He's quite pleased with the result so far.
Said he didn't know I could knit a sweater and I said well this is my first and he said, okay, I'll stand crooked (and put one arm lower than the other) if I have to. ROFL :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Norman
11-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I really enjoy the bible.. I think it was 22$ around here.. so if you want I could pick it up and you could paypal me the money if it's cheaper than getting it online :)

Anyway.. I enjoyed it.. sometimes those diagrams they show confuse me.. but they are pretty large diagrams.. I can scan in a couple pages (actually take pictures as I don't want to ruin the spine <-- Book nerd)
to show you what I mean..

My mom got me this small hard cover book in Tennesse that has just like hundreds of different stiches.. so the stich library part of it was redundant.. but the rest is great

kemp
11-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Kemp, I will post a pic when I get my dh's sweatshirt done. He's quite pleased with the result so far.
Said he didn't know I could knit a sweater and I said well this is my first and he said, okay, I'll stand crooked (and put one arm lower than the other) if I have to. ROFL :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

What a sweetie pie! I just finished a sweater for my DH this weekend too. I need to get him to model it tonight so I can take a picture.

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 11:04 AM
oh do take pic, I'd love to see the sweater.
okay, I'm a cheapie, my BAM STORE had the knitter's bible (only one) for 22 but I wouldn't buy cause I could buy online from BAM for 15. I kept thinking of the yarn I could buy with the difference in price. LOL.
I enquired of the clerk as to the price diff and she said they are basically two seperate providers. Buying online comes DIRECTLY from the warehouse, whereas BAM stores buy from the warehouse and then prices it in the store.

Norman
11-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah I had the same experince with Barnes And Noble, (unless this is who you are talking about)

Thier prices are cheaper online especially if you have a "Club card" I got one once.. with the online discount (10%), the Club Discount(10%) and a some other discount that was like 15%.. I don't know why.. anyway.. I bought the book at a Local Fabric store :)

kemp
11-14-2005, 11:07 AM
I got my knitters bible used from half.com They have one right now brand new for 11.89 (http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Knitters-Bible_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ30783480)

Norman
11-14-2005, 11:13 AM
See what buying stuff in store and my lack of patience gets me..

*laughs* HOWEVER.. I forgot to mention I bought some Clover size 10 Bamboo needles this weekend.. WOW those things are nice.. knitting with wood is my heaven let me tell ya.. I thought plastic felt nice ( I don't especially like metal).. but those bamboo.. those are nice

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 11:17 AM
I also bought some bamboo needles, but they are a diff brand. Can't recall at the moment. Anyway, they are so nice to the touch!
I'm using metal ones right now from my boyle circular set.

kemp
11-14-2005, 11:19 AM
See what buying stuff in store and my lack of patience gets me..

Yep...but sometimes you just need some instant gratification :mrgreen:

Norman
11-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Anyway, they are so nice to the touch!

Yes and that is what is keeping me from buying that set to replace my awol denise set.. *ughhh*

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 11:33 AM
norman, I also had my hands on a rosewood pair!! I was at the HL halfprice sale, so that would have made them about $9 after the discount. However, I didn't get, as it was a larger needle than I thought I needed at the moment, but gosh it was gorgeous.

HeatherFeather
11-14-2005, 11:52 AM
tigger, what pattern are you using for your hooded sweatshirt??

I'm doing the lionbrand one for a friend...sleeves, back are done, now working on the front...:)

Norman
11-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Because I'm curious, I got to ask.. are most sweater patterns "Unisex"

or are women patterns different because, and excuse the terms, the bust make a difference.

Reason I ask is sometimes it's hard to find nice patterns for guys.. and I have found a couple of cable sweaters that I like, but for women.. and I thionk with some modification it would be alright.. :) Just curious

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 12:28 PM
Heather,
http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=217
it's a freebie from bernat. we love it and it's unisex so I plan to make for me too one day!

kemp
11-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Because I'm curious, I got to ask.. are most sweater patterns "Unisex"

or are women patterns different because, and excuse the terms, the bust make a difference.

Reason I ask is sometimes it's hard to find nice patterns for guys.. and I have found a couple of cable sweaters that I like, but for women.. and I thionk with some modification it would be alright.. :) Just curious

I think it depends if it's a pattern with a lot of shaping. The sweater I just made my DH is THIS (http://debbieblissonline.com/books/bk4/bk4_13.htm) one that I modified to his size. He really loved the cables and since it is really just a boxy sweater I saw no reason not to use it just because it is a "womans" pattern. The only issue you might have is with the sizing...just need to make adjustments.

Norman
11-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah .. I'm loving those cables .. ;) That's pretty sweet.. okay well then that explains some.. course I'm not experinced enough yet to do major modifications.. but I'll get there

kemp
11-14-2005, 12:55 PM
This particular one was pretty easy because I followed the pattern for the smallest size but with a bigger gauge. I did a little measuring/math before to see what kind of gauge the yarn I wanted to use has and it just happened to all work out. I'm going to take a pic tonight...I think it's hard to tell what it looks like when it's not on.

HeatherFeather
11-14-2005, 01:32 PM
cool sweater tigger!!! :)

what Kemp said about the sweaters Norman...lol....

cheesiesmom
11-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I bought some Clover size 10 Bamboo needles this weekend.. WOW those things are nice..

Norman,

I have 3 Clover bamboo circs. They are heaven to knit with. Very lightweight and I don't seem to be dropping the ends all the time. They stay put!!

LisaD715
11-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Tigger.....where in Alabama are you?

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Hey Lisa, I live in Margaret, close to Odenville.
I work in Birmingham. We moved from Pleasant Grove earlier this year to a house we had built and are now nice and settled in! The drive is a bear coming to work, but we like being in a new county.
are you from AL?

LisaD715
11-14-2005, 04:46 PM
No, I'm a Pensacola girl, graduated from Escambia...20 years agoo...ack!!!!! I lived in MD for the majority of that time, just moved home in August. If you head back this way to visit, let me know!!

tigger0229
11-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Lisa, I certainly will!! it would be nice to meet.
We usually vacation either in Gulf Shores or for the past 3 years, on St. George Island.
Did you have any damage from the past hurricanes?

LisaD715
11-14-2005, 06:20 PM
I just moved back this past August, almost a year after Ivan and a month after Dennis, I was not involved in all of that, but my parents had no structural damage but lost several trees.

In Katrina, we just had a lot of rain. A few signs tht had not been repaired after Ivan were destroyed, but not make.