PDA

View Full Version : I've seen it all now

Clabbergirl
11-14-2005, 04:31 PM
My LYS has a blog, and it seems there is nothing that's off-limits when it comes to knitting it.

Uterus (http://www.threadedblissyarns.com/) (Scroll to the bottom for the photo)

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 04:39 PM
At least they have some kind of excuse, being future midwives.

Ingrid
11-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Knitty has that pattern.

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah...weird. Very weird.

KristiMetz
11-14-2005, 04:56 PM
I could see how it would be useful as a training aid, like if you were explaining anatomy to a child.

I seem to remember someone posting a picture (might have been here... can't remember) to a digestive system that someone knitted!

A little offbeat... but when my DS is old enough for me to tell him about the inside of our bodies, I might be scouring the 'net looking for those patterns! LOL.

RachelG
11-14-2005, 05:15 PM
The digestive system has been talking about all over!

http://www.strangebuttrewe.com/knitgi.htm

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Oh. MY. GOD. Exactly what would be running through one's head as they knit a RECTUM? :oops:

hedgehog
11-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Oh, i love that uterus pattern!

My sister and i both teach (or have taught) anatomy and my BIL is an OB/GYN. I figure it's only a matter of time before i make one for his practice! :lol:

The body is beautiful, inside and out! :)

-hh

Carol_OH
11-14-2005, 06:50 PM
I'm with hedgehog!!

Totalele
11-14-2005, 08:55 PM
I also love that pattern! :heart: :heart:

Jeremy
11-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Huh... I guess I can gauge how far I've come in knitting- :rollseyes: my only thought was wondering how it would felt up.

Ingrid
11-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Huh... I guess I can gauge how far I've come in knitting- :rollseyes: my only thought was wondering how it would felt up. :roflhard: :roflhard:

Pixywhispers
11-14-2005, 11:41 PM
The body is beautiful, inside and out! :)

-hh

My midwifes clients often drops their kids off to teach their children about sex, periods, birth control, etc. I know she would love to have these type of teaching aids.

I've seen another knitted uterus that a baby doll fits in. So you can see how a babies head rotates through the pelvis. Those are cool.

Ive always been really open with my kids about these things so when they are older its no biggie. I bet my daughters wouldnt think twice if I knit them a uterus! But then my son might ask for the equivelant! Not sure I want that in the toy box!

Candace

Ingrid
11-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Ahem!! As a proud female, I must note that there IS no male equivalent to the uterus! :rofling:

Pixywhispers
11-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Ingrid, <giggle>

My three year old asked me the other day "How'd dat baby get in dare?"

Ingrid
11-15-2005, 12:07 AM
My son used to say that his baby sister was in Mommy's universe!

Pixywhispers
11-15-2005, 01:26 AM
Ahem!! As a proud female, I must note that there IS no male equivalent to the uterus! :rofling:

Oh Ingrid, you are right! There really is no male equivalent. :notworthy: I'm sorry for putting down womynkind and suggesting such a thing!

:?? What was I thinking?

Candace

BinkyKat
11-15-2005, 01:42 AM
My son used to say that his baby sister was in Mommy's universe!

And thankfully, ain't that how the one we live in came to be, in a wo-manner of speaking!
:thumbsup:

foldedbird
11-15-2005, 01:55 AM
Dying to know if you've ever seen a baby been born, HH? I don't mean have you had a baby, but have you actually SEEN what happens to everything when the baby comes out? *shrudder* Not so beautiful, IMHO. :rofling:

knittingdoula
11-15-2005, 04:03 AM
I think a knitted uterus is so terrific! Of course, since I'm a doula (a professional childbirth coach), it's kind of my JOB to like these types of things. I would love to use the knitted uterus as a teaching tool. I too have seen the knitted uterus that has the baby inside.

My daughter was born at home, and my son, who is 6, came in RIGHT after she came out. He announced what sex she was and got to cut the cord. It was the most incredible moment, and I was so proud of him .... then the kid marched into the bathroom with the midwives and examined the placenta with them!!

Now, as a doulas' son, the kid knows more about female anatomy than most women I know, and it's hysterical to hear him correct the occasional adult who says that babies grow in a mommy's "tummy".

Anyway, back to knitting ....

Alison

humblestumble
11-15-2005, 04:24 AM
Oh ya, I saw that digestive system on craftster.org. That's where everyone requested the pattern for it lol. It's pretty amazing to me.

Ingrid
11-15-2005, 09:05 AM
I watched my grandson be born. It was wonderful!

hedgehog
11-15-2005, 09:10 AM
Dying to know if you've ever seen a baby been born, HH? I don't mean have you had a baby, but have you actually SEEN what happens to everything when the baby comes out? *shrudder* Not so beautiful, IMHO. :rofling:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Oh, i absolutely agree!! In fact i'm rather squeamish about pregnancy in general (no kids of my own and no plans). Quite unpleasant in the end!! :roflhard:

But i just think that the mechanics of the body are an amzing thing. I do a lot of work with the genes that regulate development during embryogenesis (when the babies are being formed in the womb) and i'm always amazed the way the cells and genetic switches can form these structures from a non-descript ball of cells!! Amazing!

-hh

Ingrid
11-15-2005, 09:16 AM
My daughter works with genetics, and her hope one day is to work exclusively on cell differentiation. It is amazing how a blob of cells that are all the same can change into all the different types we have. Mind boggling!

hedgehog
11-15-2005, 10:10 AM
:oo: Ingrid, are you my mother??!! :oo:

:roflhard:

punkhippiemom
11-15-2005, 10:18 AM
:heart: One of my favorite classes ever was embryology&heredity (until we had to breed fruit flies... grumble grumble stupid flies....)
I agree, cell differentiation was probably the most amazing part of the whole process - I mean, two different types of cells eventually become every organ and system in our body :?? It boggles the mind...

If I had been able to do enough math to take chemistry, I wanted to study biology and eventually embryology in college...
LOL that or journalism! ;)

kitkat
11-15-2005, 11:17 AM
On the one hand, I am with Denise - I was a bit appalled at all the stuff that came out with my two boys :)....but on the other hand, our bodies are truly remarkable. Still, I do not have the uterus on my to-do list.

foldedbird
11-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong... childbirth is a beautiful thing, and if "all" I ever am is someone's mother, I will have accomplished the most important thing in life.

BUT you won't catch me looking at a PLACENTA again...freaking disguuusting!