PDA

View Full Version : What type of yarn do you like for hats?

KristiMetz
11-14-2005, 04:53 PM
I think I'm going to knit my toddler a hat next, instead of a sweater. :) It's a little simpler and I can get plenty of purling practice that way.

I was just curious, what sort of yarn is everyone's favorite for hats? The pattern I'm using (Bev's Really Basic Stretchy Hat (http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-basic-hat.html)) calls for worsted weight 4-ply yarn... any recommendations?

I'm not that fond of the acrylic that I have laying around, color wise. So I'll probably get something new for this pattern anyhow... would love any suggestions!

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Well since you're buying, how about cashmerino? Debbie Bliss has a lovely blend. :) I could use a couple skeins, no sense in us BOTH ordering...hehe :rofling:

kemp
11-14-2005, 04:58 PM
denise...has that EVER worked yet?

brendajos
11-14-2005, 05:01 PM
ugh...what DON'T i like using for hats? well lace weight i guess...lol. i think you could find all sorts of fun things to try and variegated area always my favorite because i can hardly wait to see what it looks like knitted up!!

foldedbird
11-14-2005, 05:02 PM
kemp, NOPE! But if it does, I'll let you know. Anything you need? :rofling:

rebecca
11-14-2005, 05:33 PM
I love to knit hats with fingering wt & worsted & bulky...most all yarn ;) and I usually use this hat pattern (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm) bc you can easily customize the hat for anyone's head ;)

mintdee
11-14-2005, 06:31 PM
The owner needs to start paying you for pimpin' out their site rebecca :roflhard:

(Although that is the one that I plan on using for my son)

dana_renay
11-15-2005, 11:20 AM
I made a scarf and an adult sized hat out of Plymouth's Baby Grande Alpaca. It is a little pricey (My LYS sells it for 12.95 a hank), but it only took a little over half a hank for an adult sized hat so you could definitely get 2 kiddie sized hats out of one hank. It is bulky weight and it knitted so fast - I finished it in one afternoon and I am still a very slow beginner. It is incredibly soft and will feel nice where the hat touches ears or face.

rebecca
11-15-2005, 01:58 PM
The owner needs to start paying you for pimpin' out their site rebecca :roflhard:

(Although that is the one that I plan on using for my son)

LOL, that is so true! But, if it works, I gotta pass it on ;) I love customizable patterns, I find 'em, use 'em...pass 'em on ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
knitpicks merino style works for me!!! I use a double strand.

knitncook
11-15-2005, 10:49 PM
I have very short hair so my ears always touch my hats as does the back of my neck. So I like to have really soft yarn. I just made some in Merino ever so soft yummy rasberry with a nice cable that was worked around the bottom. I love the way it feels on my ears and neck. I don't like working with much acrylic unless it is super super soft and usually has some nylon or cotton worked into it. It just feels icky next to my skin.