PDA

View Full Version : knitting bags

tigger0229
11-15-2005, 12:37 PM
anyone have a suggestion? right now I'm just using tote bags, but what do you use??
I thought about this one, Bagsmith (http://www.knitpicks.com/tools/tools_home.asp?wci=accessory_list&searchtype=Category&categories='4201'&titleName=Bags%20%26%20Baskets), does anyone have it?

jodstr2
11-15-2005, 12:44 PM
cute ones at Webs:

http://www.yarn.com/knitting/knitting_main.html

kitkat
11-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Problem with tote bags is things can fall out of the top. (I speaketh from experience)

I use either those freebie messenger bags you get at seminars that have a zip top or flap that closes off, for smaller projects I use one of those cloth backpacky things that has a drawstring top.

lisak
11-15-2005, 01:01 PM
I use the bagsmith bag. I really like it except that yes, things can fall out. But I find that mostly I lose my yarn needle. There aren't many very small pockets. However, It does have a great number of other pockets that hold my needles, scissors, pens, stitch markers, etc. etc. very well.

There are a lot of other stylish bags out there too, but I haven't found any in my LYS yet (I like to look at those things before buying). It would be nice to have a little smaller bag as well.

jelly
11-15-2005, 01:06 PM
i am lusting after the Jordana Paige bag, myself

dustinac
11-15-2005, 01:17 PM
I use this bag I like the way its laid out although its a bit bulky so I can't carry it with me everywhere basically around the house and knitting class.. and when I go to WV great travel bag. You can prolly find it at a better price somewhere else if you don't get the joanns coupons...

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82324

on the bottom row,the knitters tote (I tried to a direct link but joann's website is running slow today) they also have the one skein tote too.. I got this one too http://www.knowknits.com/ it comes up first but you can click knitting accessories to see them.. I got burgandy and its great it will only hold prolly one skein perfect for socks, scarf, hat and it can be worn on the wrist or on your belt loop.. makes it perfect for the mommy on the run :cheering:

tigger0229
11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
hey, thanks for the links.
who is jordana paige?

brendajos
11-15-2005, 02:48 PM
there is a link on the top of these pages sometimes for her needle box. the website is www.jordanapaige.com

tigger0229
11-15-2005, 02:56 PM
wow, thanks brendajos. those are GORGEOUS!!!!

KnittinKitten
11-15-2005, 03:49 PM
This is the one I *won* (not bought, of course!) on eBay recently and I love it. It's SO light and zips closed and has pockets on the inside and one on the outside, too. I can highly recommend Janine King bags.

Here 'tis (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6802566421&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&rd=1).

:XX:

tigger0229
11-15-2005, 04:04 PM
THAT IS GORGEOUS!!! :heart:

wildforyarn
11-15-2005, 04:04 PM
I have the Jordana Paige knitter's purse, but am looking to purchase the messenger bag instead. It would fit my knitting, plus baby/kid stuff better I think. :)

tigger0229
11-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes, you probably need that bigger bag. more room!!
how old is the baby?

kitkat
11-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Oh no I see a bag on that ebay listing I may have to order!!

tigger0229
11-16-2005, 10:06 AM
anybody have one of these??
http://www.greenmountainknittingbags.com/

Norman
11-16-2005, 10:15 AM
This is what I got.. and let me tell ya . I absolutely LOVE it..

But like anything it's all personal preference.. but this is big enough for me to carry all my needles, a few books, some patterns.. all my stich markers, row counters, etc.. and 6 skiens of yarn.. and probably hold a couple or 3 projects

Click Here (http://michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0231&channelid=)

:) And that's where I bought it too

ChroniclesofYarnia
11-16-2005, 10:17 AM
I have the Bagsmith, and I love it. It stands on legs, so I have never had a problem with things falling out. MY big complaint is that there are the plastic pockets on the inside that A. should have been cloth, and B. should have some sort of closure. I am going to hit JoAnn's sometime this week and see if I can find snaps that I can glue in there and keep them shut. I am considering just taking out the top row of the plastic guys.

Anyhow, I would definitely recommend going and peeking at one before you make the commitment. It works for me very well, and keeps everything together. (and the price is right. :) )

tigger0229
11-16-2005, 10:35 AM
yarnmommy, thanks for that review on bagsmith. I will be looking at it. So far it is the one I'd like by my chair to knit. As for carrying and knitting, I'm looking toward something else. not sure what tho. LOL>
Norman, that bag looks very interesting. I like the fact that the yarn is in it's own pocket AND that it carries the tools.
I'm going to have to find somewhere that carries all these and see them in person. that's all there is to it!
I love to hear of everyone's experiences tho, with each bag and their likes and dislikes. this helps bigtime.

dustinac
11-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Norman I really like mine too.. I like that the skeins of yarn are on the outside of the bag in their own holders but they feed through into the inside of the bag... No winding the loose yarn around the skein till I pick it up next time.. just put my tip protectors on and drop it in the bag thats it.. also like the way the inside opens up and you have places for your needles on the sides (12 spaces but some you can put 2 needles in), a pocket for scissors, 2 zipped pockets on the insed one large & the other one is kinda medium I think.. then you have 5 clear plastic pockets so you can see what you have in there, a pocket for a pen that I just found the other day LOL.. Then on the outside besides the 6 skein holders you have a place for a bottle of water and to hold needles right for your reach or a pen... I have right now 3 projects in it LOL my interchangeable needle case and a notebook plenty of room still... I also like the cushiony pad for your shoulder when I carry it to knitting classes... Its also great to just have at home and knit out of.. I just zip it up when I'm done and the kids leave it alone great bag love this bag :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

tigger0229
11-16-2005, 11:27 AM
dustina, that sounds EXCELLENT!!!!!!
may be just what I'm looking for.
I found it's at herschnerrs too (okay, probably mispelled) and they also are having a YARN SALE folks.

Norman
11-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah I usually put two needles in one strap area.. I think that' show it was designed.. except for like those size 35's I have *laughs* they are sitting on the sidelines right now :)

But yeah.. it's great.. and if you can get the centerpull of the yarn to work those little eyelets work great for guiding the yarn :)

I'm waiting by the door anxiously to get my new Boye Circ Set (got it for 35) so I can start to do circular things again.. I didn't realize how much I NEEDED it when I lost my denise set

tigger0229
11-16-2005, 11:41 AM
oh oh, I love my boye cir set. I got for 35 too at HL with their half price off. I love it cause they are all in their own little set and store well.
okay, that does it, I have to have this bag ya'll have!!
maybe I'll put on my wish list for christmas.
that would be fun.
OH MY and wouldn't it be DIVINE if santa even FILLED IT FULL with yarns and stuff like that?????? ahhhhhhhh :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Norman
11-16-2005, 12:24 PM
And even a set of these

http://freeknittingpatterns.lionbrand.com/patterns/kctq-santaHat.html

But that might be asking santa for too much :)

tigger0229
11-16-2005, 12:37 PM
santa's a good old boy and I have been extra good this year :thinking: , well maybe not so good. :rofling:

lisak
11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
I just found the bag you guys are raving about for what seems to be an excellent price. Everywhere else it seems to run about $50, this site (http://www.discountyarnsale.com/pd_eagle.cfm) has them for $37.

I'm definitely putting this one on my Christmas list!

Norman
11-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Yeah I got mine at michaels for 39..

And they have different ones.. they also have a tote that just holds one skien, but looks more "backpacky" :)

And they have an all purpose craft one.. and one other.. But this think is neat.. got hard hard bottom (slightly so it can stand) and feet..

The buttons on the yarn holders are actually REALLY strong magnets.. but they hold good..

tigger0229
11-17-2005, 02:24 PM
me too lisa, only I plan to get from joann's online. it's 49 but I have a 50% off coupon so it makes it about 25 and 30 with sh so that's about the lowest I've seen. isn't it incredible?
I found a site that should carol duvall doing a demonstration video of the bag. really a great look inside it!

lisak
11-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Oh - that is even better! There isn't a Joann's near me and the one time I ordered from their website I wasn't too pleased with the process.

Where does one get the 50% off coupons though? Is stuff like that listed on those coupon code websites?

tigger0229
11-17-2005, 03:10 PM
lisa, when you go onto the joann site, the box pops up with the 50% off code however, the code is NOVE550

lisak
11-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Cool - Thanks!!

I'll tell my DH to get a start on his Christmas shopping! ;)

tigger0229
11-17-2005, 03:17 PM
hehe, you and me both!
I'll end up ordering, but dh will get when it arrives and take care of keeping it out of my hands til christmas! :happydance:

wildforyarn
11-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Here is my question for the knitter's tote though. If you keep the skeins in the outside pockets and thread them through, don't they eventually get tangled. Every time I try to roll my skeins into balls I end up with a big mess when I am about 2/3 done. Does it never get tangled?

dustinac
11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Hey Wildforyarn, I haven't ended up with a tangled mess (except your normal inside the skein yarn vomit mess) its really helped my yarn frustration on that part.. although when knitting 2 colors I learned they will tangle if you have the two colors side by side or across so I sit them up diagonally from one another and haven't had any problems that way either :D

Norman
11-18-2005, 01:40 AM
As long as I start the ball in center pull .. No never had a tangled mess.. never had a snag.. heck never even had to tug it comes out so nice..

But if the center pull of the ball isn't done, or you are doing the outside string.. yeah it wont' work to well.. :)

dustinac
11-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Norman, I think you and I should get a percentage from this company for getting the word out there about their tote :happydance:

KellyK
11-18-2005, 09:41 AM
I only wish that bag weren't "Ill-never-get-hit-by-a-car Orange". :?

tigger0229
11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Kelly, you are too funny.
I would prefer another color also, but as long as it's not a HUNTERS ORANGE, I'll be fine with it.
hmm, it's canvas, I wonder if it could be dyed?
:thinking:

VickiIL
11-18-2005, 09:53 AM
I only wish that bag weren't "Ill-never-get-hit-by-a-car Orange". :?

I agree. I have the little one and that is the one thing I don't like about it. The orange. Also I think the little one is too little and the big one is too big. They need a middle sized one.

tigger0229
11-18-2005, 10:03 AM
boohoo, Joann's is out of the bag!! i just was about to order for my christmas pressie.
should have done it yesterday. :rollseyes:

dustinac
11-18-2005, 10:09 AM
THats the one thing I wasn't sure about the orange color but it was the only bag that did what I wanted it too LOL and now when ya see me out with a orange bag you know hey she is going to knitting :rofling: Wonder if you could paint it with fabric paint? Draw knitting pictures on it so the orange becomes the back drop... :thinking: I'll let someone else try that LOL

tigger0229
11-18-2005, 10:45 AM
HEY I GOT IT, we could KNIT a cover for it!!!!! in eyelash !!!!

Norman
11-18-2005, 10:57 AM
RUN AWAY..

Man that eyelash and fun fur stuff.. I really don't like that stuff.. got a bad taste in the mouth after using it last time.. ughh..

tigger0229
11-18-2005, 11:09 AM
norman, tiggers do not run away, they bounce bounce bounce away!
Really? you don't like eyelash? I do. I've knitted a scarf with it and also have some boa stuff to do some flipflops with.

Norman
11-18-2005, 11:18 AM
I used boa to knit a scarf.. that had to be hell on earth.. seriously.. anything I see that's done with fun fur or eyelash.. I say "Nope" and go to another pattern....

Plus alot of the stuff I've seen that has it on it (and let me tell ya, I have odd tastes) seem kinda tacky.. but that's just me

KellyK
11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
But, DAVE! You'd look QUITE DAPPER in a fun fur necktie!! :eyebrow:

wildforyarn
11-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Norman, I think you must be talking about the skeins that are already wrapped up. I was thinking the skeins that come and you need to wrap them up into a ball or they will be a mess. I understand now. :)

Norman
11-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Ahhh yes.. sorry I totally forgot about that.. my bad.. Yeah I've never had to wrap my own yet.. that day is coming tho.. :) I will need to get a ball winder here soon anyway...

katiyana
11-21-2005, 11:46 PM
covered with teddy bears - got it on sale at Hobby Lobby - I collect everything teddy bear I can find and just HAD to have it.

Its very deep so haven't had problems with things falling out yet.

Racerkatie
11-22-2005, 12:11 AM
so if I tell you all that I've been re-using a plastic grocery bag you'll all laugh, right? Mine fell out of my lap on an airplane a couple weeks ago and the flight attendant thought it was trash. Of course, it had a ball of red yarn in it for the stocking I was working on.

Seriously, I bought the pattern to My Constant Companion and that was going to be my first felted bag ...

Anybody try the Companion bag?

I also have a simple basket of yarn sitting on my floor ... looks kinda cute ....

dustinac
11-22-2005, 09:36 AM
I wanna try the constant campanion hopefully after Christmas I will have time to knit that and the booga bag

wildforyarn
11-23-2005, 07:53 PM
I bought the pattern to the Constant Companion too, but have yet to knit it. :) I also hope to do it after Christmas... when I can finally knit something for myself! ;)

KellyK
11-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Where's the link to that pattern??

Racerkatie
11-24-2005, 12:46 PM
I got it mine $5 from Yarns by Design (was ordering other stuff, too -- see yarnsbydesign.com). The author's web site is http://www.knitkit.com/MyConstantCompanion.htm. Other nice bags are there, too. Says you can order direct from her but had to email her to do it; no apparent on-line secure order form.