PDA

View Full Version : Double pointed knitting needles......

wildforyarn
11-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Where can I get some, at a reasonable cost, little or no shipping.... that are wood/bamboo. I mostly have Clover, but am willing to try another brand. Last I looked at Taraknits there were no wooden double points. Any help would be great! Thanks.

rebecca
11-16-2005, 04:53 PM
In the past I have ordered needles from www.knitting-warehouse.com & www.yarn-store.com I know that Angelika @ yarn store ships very quickly, I don't remember how fast the shipping was from knitting-warehouse

Jivewhistle
11-16-2005, 06:49 PM
Make them!!

I'm making size 4 dpn's right now and it cost me about 5 cents. :happydance:

kitkat
11-16-2005, 11:26 PM
I am soooooooooo afraid that my labradork will eat my DPN's, I probably should go ahead and make some too!!!

purlgrrl
11-18-2005, 08:06 AM
Where did you find the dowels for size 4 dpn's? I can only find dowels in these sizes: size 3, size 8, size 10.5 and 11. I think that's it. Just the standard inch increments: 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, etc., for the diameter of the dowel. I looked at all the hardware stores here, Jo-Ann's as well, but I live quite rurally, so it might be that.

Debbie
11-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Bamboo "skewers" or how ever you spell the sticks you use to grill chunks of food :) Grocery store, Kitchen store, Target, Wal Mart ... I carry a needle gauge with me and measure EVERY round stick I see. They are also easy to sand down to a smaller size. I have made several dpn's and my Kids Knit group just finished making some VERY CHEAP # 5 straights to use for bookmarks!

JGM
11-19-2005, 01:53 AM
bambooneedlegirl (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZbambooneedlegirl) on eBay has quite the nice collection. I think they're reasonably priced. I bought a set of 1-6 and I like them so far :)

Carol_OH
11-19-2005, 11:58 AM
good to hear that bambooneedlegirl's needles are good - I would suggest her (though I haven't bought from her before) - bamboo needles are SUPER difficult to find second-hand, that's for sure!

JGM
11-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm pretty sure hers are new not second hand. Why are they so hard to find?

kome
11-19-2005, 12:33 PM
bambooneedlegirl's needles are new. I bought a bamboo set from 1-14 for $30 and I LOVE them. :inlove:

KnittinKitten
11-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Question about DPN's: it seems that most of the needle brands stop at size 10.5. When I'm working on a hat using size #13 needles -- I do this awkward thing when decreasing of using 3 of the 10.5's and then use the circ size 13 as my working needle. Is there a better way? Thanks.
:XX:

Carol_OH
11-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm pretty sure hers are new not second hand. Why are they so hard to find?

Oh I'm sorry - didnt mean to confuse you all - I know hers are new. I'm the person behind www.taraknit.com and I was just stating, in response to the original post that wildforyarn checked my site and couldn't find any bamboos - I don't know why they're so hard to get second-hand - I rarely see them at garage sales etc.

kitkat
11-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Ok, for regular knitting for the most part I prefer metal or resin. But when I am working with a DPN, I need the grip of wood. So......... do bamboogirls's DPN's compare to, say a brittany birch DPN? (the only ones I have used to date).