PDA

View Full Version : FO Bamboo Needles

Jivewhistle
11-17-2005, 05:41 PM
Here are my size 4 bamboo dpn's I made.

The dowels I had picked out didn't contain a size 4 so I used bamboo skewers. They're a little trickier to get smooth but it's all good now. I sanded them and since I don't have a good pencil sharpener, I used an exacto knife (much easier than a pocket knife). I also used wax paper on them and put a bit of olive oil on them. I :heart: them!

rebecca
11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
THOSE ARE SO 8-) COOL 8-) !!! They look as though they came out of the store! EXCELLENT JOB :cheering: :cheering:

Jivewhistle
11-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks Rebecca :D

It was so much easier to use that exacto knife...I can get a more precise point. But an electric pencil sharpener is on my shopping list :D

I have a gazillion skewers so I'm going to keep practicing on some with getting the points nice.

I saved $8 though by making these!! :cheering: :cheering:

rebecca
11-17-2005, 06:02 PM
I have a friend that does all of her dpns from skewers, she told me that she gets various sizes from the grocery store & the $ store. Those really, really look great ;)

Silver
11-17-2005, 06:40 PM
They look awesome! I wouldn't know the difference between them and a set of Clover dpns... other than the fact that yours are sharper. Which I LOVE sharp points on small needles! :thumbsup:

kemp
11-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Great job! I did mine with a pencil sharpner I got at target for $10...I figure make a couple of needle sets and it pays for itself.

Jivewhistle
11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys...yes, I like mine kinda sharp too.

I'll have to look at Target for a sharpener. Do you think I'd still be able to stick a size 4 in there?

KellyK
11-17-2005, 07:13 PM
They really look GREAT!! I tried those once....didnt quite have the patience to get them smooth enough.

kemp
11-17-2005, 07:43 PM
oh yeah...I did size 2-8 4's shouldn't be a problem :thumbsup:

feministmama
11-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Wow those look great! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

kitkat
11-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Wow Susan! those look great!

dustinac
11-17-2005, 10:47 PM
:cheering: Great job on them!!

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 01:58 AM
So pretty & smooth!!!

I made some size 8's out of chopsticks a while back. I only made 2 of them, though, and I never thought about oiling them. What a great idea!

humblestumble
11-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Where does one find these skewers at the grocery store? :thinking:

Great job! :thumbsup:

kemp
11-18-2005, 09:53 AM
They had all sizes of dowel rods at Michael's and Hobby Lobby...I used those. The skewers would be a good idea though for a small size...it's hard to find really thin dowels that are strong enough for needles. The skewers I have had in the past though are pretty sturdy!

humblestumble
11-18-2005, 03:32 PM
I've experimented with Dowels and intend of continuing with them, but I hear "bamboo" and my ears perk up. I love my bamboo needles, and if I can make them myself - all the the better!

Jivewhistle
11-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm so excited right now I can hardly contain myself!!! :roflhard:

My boyfriend bought me some more materials today to make my own needles. I got some Fimo polymer clay for the stoppers, some acrylic paints, some 400 grit sand paper (since all I had was 120), and some Polyurethane spray (clear) to spray on the finished, painted needles. Oh and I got some quilt batting too for when I bake the stoppers onto the needles. That way they don't flat from laying down or get a funky spot on them.

I just did a test in the oven...because I wanted to make sure my quilt batting wouldn't melt...loL. The clay came out great and the batting held up just fine. I put some baking soda on it too so I don't get that funky "I'm baking clay" smell in the house or oven. Plus, I do need to make a homeade lasagna tonight for tomorrow...so I reallyyy didn't want a stinky oven.

Anways, I'm making size 10 1/2 needles right now and I should have them complete by tomorrow and I'll post a pic.

Sheesh, as if I needed another hobby right????? :roflhard:

feministmama
11-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Sheesh, as if I needed another hobby right????? :roflhard:

Of course you do. The world is such a mess becasue we don't have enough hobbies :lol:

humblestumble
11-19-2005, 01:18 AM
Ditto to that! I have so many ... I dont know what I'd be doing without them!

kemp
11-20-2005, 12:12 PM
How cool! Can't wait to see them.