PDA

View Full Version : My First Sock EVER!!!

jessi_9783
11-18-2005, 06:36 AM
Tuesday, I completed my first sock. I used KP Simple Stripes (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420113) in Crayon. I'm so proud of this sock because I did it without dpns. DPNs have never really appealed to me. In fact, I don't own any dpns. I must say I :heart: :heart: :heart: the ML method. Anyways, the pattern comes from Socks! The Next Step. (http://www.socksthenextstep.com) and is done cuff to toe. However, there is a toe-up version. I did the pattern with sz 1 40" addi turbo needle. The heel and toe are done with short rows. I've never done them or Kitchener stitch before. The socks are for my mom, who is modeling. She insisted on modeling it now instead of waiting for me to finish the its fraternal twin. When I started knitting the second sock she saw that the stripes would match with those on the sock and she said she didn't want them to match. So instead of the first band of color being yellow it's pink.

Ronda
11-18-2005, 07:47 AM
:cheering: Good job!

I have beautiful sock yarn from my LYS and a set of DPN, but I'm not quite ready yet to tackle socks. Your first sock, huh? I think you did a marvelous job!

KellyK
11-18-2005, 08:56 AM
YAYYYYYY! You've got HAPPY FEET!!! :cheering:

dustinac
11-18-2005, 09:46 AM
:cheering: Great Job :thumbsup:

kemp
11-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Looks awesome! Hard to believe it's your first one.

knitkat
11-18-2005, 10:24 AM
Just lovely! I have been working up the courage to try socks...I may give Silvers tutorial a try. The double points set me a shivering! :shock:

knitkat
11-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Just lovely! I have been working up the courage to try socks...I may give Silvers tutorial a try. The double points set me a shivering! :shock:

kemp
11-18-2005, 10:28 AM
Just jump right in! It's fun and silver's tutorial will get you through it with no problems!

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 10:57 AM
That is a downright perfect first sock!!!

I am in the middle of Silver's sock tutorial -- 'bout 1/2 way through the heel flap -- it's great how she's broken it down so simply, but I have to say I'm a little askeered to get to the kitchener stitch. The rest, I think I can handle.

Norman
11-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Awesome.. Socks are on my TODO List .. and I realllly dont' want to use DPN's.. I never thought of usin the ML method on this.. that would work for me.. cause I love using that method..

How do you do the ML when, as per some sock things I've seen, the heel flap gets knitted (one of the dpns) when the other two don't?

Ohhh if I knew the secret to that.. I'd have to buy some yarn.. and I love how that yarn stripes.. :)

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Just an aside here: I was really hesitant to use DPNs, too, but I finally did it earlier this week, and it's not nearly as difficult as you might think. You just get into a routine as with anything else.

kemp
11-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I used this link to do two socks at once using magic loop:

http://webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/twosocksoneneedletoeup.htm

sogrammatical
11-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Stipey feet at happy feet! I've been meaning to get some simple stripes and make more socks. They're just so gratifying!

Norman
11-18-2005, 11:43 AM
I used this link to do two socks at once using magic loop:

http://webdesignsbybarb.com/tostetoes/twosocksoneneedletoeup.htm

That's pretty nice.. I'll wait to do one sock at a time first.. then do two :)

I should pick up that book tho.. hrmm

Julie
11-18-2005, 11:47 AM
:cheering: Way to go! Isn't it strangely addicting?? :??

Jan in CA
11-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Great job! I've been watching for a booklet on how to do socks on circs so I'll check this one out!

KellyK
11-18-2005, 03:16 PM
You all have got my mind wandering over to socks more often lately...

STOP IT, PLEASE!! :mad: I HAVE ENOUGH TO DO BEFORE CHRISTMAS AND I HAVE NO WILLPOWER TO STOP MYSELF FROM THINKING ABOUT THESE THINGS! Have MERCY for the LOVE of GOD!!!! :(

Jan in CA
11-18-2005, 03:18 PM
You all have got my mind wandering over to socks more often lately...

STOP IT, PLEASE!! :mad: I HAVE ENOUGH TO DO BEFORE CHRISTMAS AND I HAVE NO WILLPOWER TO STOP MYSELF FROM THINKING ABOUT THESE THINGS! Have MERCY for the LOVE of GOD!!!! :(

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

KellyK
11-18-2005, 08:34 PM
I bought sock yarn today. :oops:

usamacka
11-18-2005, 08:38 PM
I love that yarn! Great job!

jessi_9783
11-18-2005, 08:45 PM
I forgot to say that the book also has instructions for doing two socks at a time for both cuff to toe and toe-ups. Please forgive me this may be a long post.

Dotmom61, kitchener stitch is really easy once you get the pattern down. I wasn't hesitant about about dpns. They don't look hard to use to me. I just know I wouldn't like them. For one thing it makes no sense to me knitting with five ndls when I can do the same thing with one. Also I have a disability and if I drop a ndl there might not be someone with me to pick it up. ML seems to be more portable to me. I can easily fit the ndl and the sock into my yarntainer. I don't think the sock and 3-4 ndls would fit as well.

Norman, the heel is only knitted on one needle, 30 of the 60 sts. So you treat it like straight knitting and knit one row then purl the other. Once your done with the heel you go back to knitting in the round with both ndls. The beauty of this book is the heel/toe are interchangeable. I can put the heel/toe into any sock pattern. I like it because there isn't a heel turn and I don't have to pick up sts. But if your doing a pattern written for dpns there are materials that will teach you how to convert the pattern to ML. It's really easy. If your really interested in this you should join the the MagicLoop Yahoo! Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/magicloop/). They have all kinds of tips and tricks and other helpful resources.

Jan in CA, the booklet is fabulous. Very well written. I had no problems at all. I thought I might since I've only been knitting for 6 months.

KellyK, I'm sorry I'm putting so much pressure on you. :D Just think about Xmas is only 36 days away then you can knit all the sock you want. :thumbsup:

To everyone, thank you for all of your praise. It is really appreciated. I L♥VE KH!!! You guys are so great!

KellyK
11-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I already cast on for a sock. :oops:

jessi_9783
11-19-2005, 12:20 AM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-19-2005, 12:28 AM

:shock: I thougt you were saving it for after the clogs! Ah, go for it! Enjoy yourself!

jessi_9783
11-19-2005, 01:24 AM

:shock: I thougt you were saving it for after the clogs! Ah, go for it! Enjoy yourself!

It was my fault, Ingrid. I should have known Kelly couldn't take post about socks. Here I am posting pics of my sock and I didn't think about how this would effect Kelly. You know my mom used to warn all of the other kid's parents about me being a bad influence. I guess she was right. :rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

knitbebe
11-19-2005, 03:09 AM
Excellent!! You did a beautiful job.

:XX: knitbebe

jessi_9783
11-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Thank you, Knitbebe! :D

KellyK
11-19-2005, 03:40 AM
Here I am posting pics of my sock and I didn't think about how this would effect Kelly.
YEAH! :mad: Its YOUR fault!! How DARE you not make your every decision with ME in mind!! :rollseyes:

DotMom61
11-19-2005, 09:51 AM
I bought sock yarn today. :oops:

I'm embarrassed to say that I did, too. I was thinking about this last night and all the yarn I have with all the potential projects in mind, and it's driving me crazy. If I had any willpower at all, I would stay away from this forum for a week and actually get something done!!! Argh! Help me!

KellyK
11-19-2005, 11:07 AM
But if we all continue to type really SMALL, it will all solve itself!!

rebecca
11-19-2005, 02:03 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: That's one good looking sock!!! JOB WELL DONE!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

feministmama
11-19-2005, 02:08 PM
OOOOoooooOOOO Keeeeellllllleeeeeeeeeee I'm tellllllllliiiiiiiinnnn. :shock:

Jan in CA
11-20-2005, 12:23 AM
I just ordered the book! Whoohoo!! :happydance: :XX:

jessi_9783
11-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Here I am posting pics of my sock and I didn't think about how this would effect Kelly.
YEAH! :mad: Its YOUR fault!! How DARE you not make your every decision with ME in mind!! :rollseyes:

Well I apologize Kelly. Next time I will think of you first. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

jessi_9783
11-20-2005, 03:00 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: That's one good looking sock!!! JOB WELL DONE!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Thanks Rebecca! :D

jessi_9783
11-20-2005, 03:05 AM

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Good for you Jan. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask. :thumbsup:

jessi_9783
11-20-2005, 04:12 AM
Friday night my mom and I went to a wake of a family friend and I took my knitting with me. :oops: I know that sounds really bad of me but I knew it was going to be a lot of drama and I needed a way to remove myself from the whole situation. Even with my knitting I still felt a lot of secondhand embarrassment for several people. Anyways, I had been quietly knitting on the second sock while the preacher and family members were speaking and after that part was over everyone started mingling. I can't tell you how many people who I haven't seen in years come up to me asking what was I doing before they even asked me how I was doing. Now I know from previous attempts at knitting in public my knitting seems to draw attention to me no matter where I am so I had thought beforehand that I shouldn't go without the first sock and I'm glad I took it because my sock was passed around to so many people. They were gushing over it. They just kept saying it looked like it had been store bought, they wanted a pair, and they'd pay me. Needless to say, my sock was a hit. My mom was beaming, she's so proud of me.

KellyK
11-20-2005, 11:03 AM
I forgive you, Jess.... :roflhard:

I think its FINE to take your knitting to a wake. Especially if you are planning to be there all day. I certainly wouldnt mind if it were MY wake. The family knows you are there for them, but you still get a much-needed mental-health break.

jessi_9783
11-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks Kelly! :D :D :D You don't know how embarrassed I truly was.

Ingrid
11-20-2005, 01:02 PM
You brought an ice breaker and conversation starter. You probably saved the day for a lot of people who wouldn't know what to talk about otherwise. I've never had any negative comments or looks (that I'm aware of, anyway) when I break out my knitting.

Jan in CA
11-20-2005, 01:21 PM

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Good for you Jan. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask. :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jessi! I'm sure I will need some help. ;)

jessi_9783
11-20-2005, 11:49 PM
You brought an ice breaker and conversation starter. You probably saved the day for a lot of people who wouldn't know what to talk about otherwise. I've never had any negative comments or looks (that I'm aware of, anyway) when I break out my knitting.

I hope it was a temporary stress reliever for people. I've never gotten negative comments when I pull out my knitting eutger but I wouldn't know if I've received dirty looks. I'm always too busy looking at my knitting to notice. :lol:

Celine
01-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Your socks came out great!!! I'm working on my very first pair right now and I hope they come out as well as yours. I'm about to begin the heel portion.

jessi_9783
01-31-2006, 08:51 PM
Thank you Celine, I'm sure your first pair will turn out great. :thumbsup:

Update:
I did finish the second sock and my mom loves them. I really need to update my sig line.