PDA

View Full Version : Wish list books... HELP!!

Jan in CA
11-19-2005, 12:08 PM
My Amazon wish list is huge and I feel like I want them ALL, but I thought maybe some of you can give me (us) some insight into whether some of these are worth it or not. I just started reading The Shop On Blossom Street, but left it here so others could see it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Knitting Over The Edge: Unique Ribs, Cords, Appliques, Color, Eclectic - The Second Essential Collection of Decorative Borders

At Knit's End : Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Yarn Harlot : The Secret Life of a Knitter by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Odd Ball Knitting : Creative Ideas for Leftover Yarn

A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber

Knit One, Kill Two (Knitting Mystery) by Maggie Sefton

Died in the Wool : A Knitting Mystery by Mary Kruger

Good Yarn: Knit Along With Debbie Macomber

The Shop On Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber
The Knitters Bible

The Knitter's Companion (The Companion Series)

Last-Minute Knitted Gifts

Knitting Without Tears : Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes (Knitting Without Tears SL 466)

The New Knitting Stitch Library : Over 300 Traditional and Innovative Stitch Patterns Illustrated in Color and Explained with Easy-to-Follow Charts

dustinac
11-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Hey Jan, have you checked your local library? Maybe they have some of these books that you could flip through and see what you like the best.. Alot of times my library has to call another local library to get the book I need but I have done this for alot of books and then made my purchase after that.. :D :heart: amazon!!

Jan in CA
11-19-2005, 12:15 PM
I get books from the library all the time, but hadn't thought about trying anything other than mysteries or novels. LOL I might do that, but I'd also like to know what more experienced knitters think if these are worth it to a newbie. ;)

dustinac
11-19-2005, 12:18 PM
I've gotten the Last minute Knitted gifts from the library and really liked it they had several patterns in there that I liked.. scarves, leg warmers, fingerless gloves, men's scarves, simple pullover sweater, and etc.. I've only been knittng since May and thought the instructions were really well written and easy to follow :thumbsup: so its on my Amazon list :rofling:

feministmama
11-19-2005, 02:55 PM
So here's my secret. I check out all my favorite knitting books from the library and go to my local Kinkos or equivilent and copy them. I onlly copy the patterns I want too not the whole book. I justify this by establishing the fact that I never sell the finished object for money (if I ever get to said pattern :rollseyes: ) and I'm very poor and these book publications are making plenty of money and won't miss my measly $25 which is better spent on food for my younin.

So there.

feministmama
11-19-2005, 03:07 PM
The Shop On Blossom Street

I Read it. Silly romance novel. But if you''re into that kind of thing, its romance with knitting!

Knitting Over The Edge: Unique Ribs, Cords, Appliques, Color, Eclectic - The Second Essential Collection of Decorative Borders

Very good resource for desinging your own stuff. Easy to read. Good pictures

At Knit's End : Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Yarn Harlot : The Secret Life of a Knitter by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Just got Yarn Harlot from the library. At knits end still on hold. I read a few pages. Very funny witty stories of knitting. Cute.

Odd Ball Knitting : Creative Ideas for Leftover Yarn

LOVE this book. Cute patterns but even better just really good ideas of what to do with left over yarn

A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber

didn't read it

Knit One, Kill Two (Knitting Mystery) by Maggie Sefton

didn't read it

Died in the Wool : A Knitting Mystery by Mary Kruger

didn't read it

Good Yarn: Knit Along With Debbie Macomber

didn't read it

The Knitters Bible

All of these stich libraries are good

The Knitter's Companion (The Companion Series)
didn't read it

Last-Minute Knitted Gifts

LOVE :heart: LOVE :heart: LOVE this book. Really good stuff, nice pictures, good patterns. If you can afford it buy it.
Knitting Without Tears : Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes (Knitting Without Tears SL 466)

The New Knitting Stitch Library : Over 300 Traditional and Innovative Stitch Patterns Illustrated in Color and Explained with Easy-to-Follow

All of these stich libraries are good

I also love weekend knitting by Melanie Falick (I like anything by her) Most of Debbie Bliss is the same thing. Lots of cotton with moss stich but occassionally has some cute babay things. Love Jo Sharp but MUCHO exspensive. Lily Chin has some interesting stuff (and a new line of her own yarn) but I'm not into knitting with wire. Her beaded stuff is cool tho. OK that's my .02 till I can think of some more[/b]

ebrperk
11-19-2005, 03:42 PM
I have read both Good Yarn and Shop on Blossom Street. I thought they were great. The Knit Along books are just patterns that go with book or things that were mentioned in the book. I didn't really consider either one of them a romance. I thought they were more about the relationships between the women and the store owner.

Robin

dustinac
11-19-2005, 04:17 PM
So here's my secret. I check out all my favorite knitting books from the library and go to my local Kinkos or equivilent and copy them. I onlly copy the patterns I want too not the whole book. I justify this by establishing the fact that I never sell the finished object for money (if I ever get to said pattern :rollseyes: ) and I'm very poor and these book publications are making plenty of money and won't miss my measly $25 which is better spent on food for my younin.

So there.

You mean I could do this too?? :thinking: My printer copies and I wouldn't sell the projects either.. I usually wait until Amazon Bargain books has a nice one for sell it may be used but the cost is lower :?? hmmm...

itscryttle
11-19-2005, 07:27 PM

So there.

:roflhard: :thumbsup: I like the way you think!

I have a scanner/printer at home ;)

itscryttle
11-19-2005, 07:28 PM
OH.. and just to add...

I have The Knitters Bible on my wish list... I seen it at Barnes & Noble and thumbed through it and LOVED it!

And I also agree with previous posters... the library is a good place to go and see if they have any of the books on your list. You can check them out... read them... "copy" any ideas in there you want to try and then return the sucker :thumbsup: