PDA

View Full Version : WIP Brocade sweater

Ingrid
11-20-2005, 07:50 PM
I got the back done for the Kaffe Fassett sweater! I did the sleeves first, so now I have to get the front done. Not sure if I'll get it done before the holidays, though.

I found the pattern in Rowan Magazine number 38 and I'm using Cleckheaton Country 8ply Naturals.

Vendie
11-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Looks gorgeous Ingrid! I actually saw that Rowan yesterday at the LYS and I had totally forgotten that you were working on it. It looked so familiar to me and I was like :?? where had I seen that before? Duh. LOVE IT and BEAUTIFUL AS ALWAYS, OH KNITTING GODDESS :notworthy:

Jeep_Girl
11-20-2005, 09:35 PM
That is STUNNING, Ingrid!

Ingrid
11-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks! It looks better in the picture or far away than it does close up. It's lumpy. I'm crossing my fingers that it will flatten out when I block it. It did for my other lumpy sweater, but I'm always nervous about blocking.

Julie
11-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Ingrid, are you stranding, or using intarsia? :??

Ingrid
11-20-2005, 11:43 PM
Ingrid, are you stranding, or using intarsia? :??

Mostly intarsia, but I found that there were places where I could strand the blue across--like when there was only a stitch or two of the tan. When it got to be more than about three stitches and it was going to stay that way or get wider, I added another strand. The back looks rather like a shag carpet. :rollseyes: but I tried to secure each end as I went. I still have go through each one and make sure it won't unravel, though. Not my favorite thing to do.

rebecca
11-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Ingrid, :notworthy: My Queen :notworthy: it is simply GAWGEOUS!! Just GAWGEOUS!! When I'm a grown up knitter I want to knit like you, :notworthy: My Queen O' Knitting :notworthy:

Ingrid
11-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Oh, please, Rebecca--looks who's talking!!

Thank you, though, I really appreciate it. :heart:

Angelia
11-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Wow, Ingrid! That is just gorgeous! :heart:

You must have the most amazing power of concentration! I can't even make k2p2 ribbing consistently (random seed stitch and all). What is your secret?

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Post-it notes and a chart. No secrets that I can think of. Determination, too. ;)

dustinac
11-21-2005, 09:55 AM
:cheering: Looks wonderful!! I'm hoping the LYS will have an intarsia or fair isle class soon I wanna try but ya know :shock:

kemp
11-21-2005, 09:56 AM
holy crap that is awesome! Anything Kaffe Fassett deserves a round of applause :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: You always seem to get that really complicated stuff done quickly too! You are truly the golden needles holder.

Silver
11-21-2005, 10:17 AM
Well I think we can all see who's the queen of colorwork. Ingrid, your sweaters are really an inspiration!!! But I'm still jealous of your St. Moritz. LOL Osterdalen (Dale's 2004 sweater) is my very NEXT project!

VickiIL
11-21-2005, 10:19 AM
That is amazing! I am constantly blown away by what you can create!

rebecca
11-21-2005, 12:56 PM
:cheering: Looks wonderful!! I'm hoping the LYS will have an intarsia or fair isle class soon I wanna try but ya know :shock:

Me, too! I've requested the same thing @ my LYS ;)

Ellen Edwards
11-21-2005, 03:50 PM
It's really awesome, Ingrid!! How long HAVE you been knitting, by the way??

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Thank you! I knit my first stitch when I was about 9--in the early Sixties. :rollseyes: I knit periodically, all self-taught, for chunks of time in my teenage years, then again through my pregnant/new mom years.

I didn't really pick it up again until I told my grandson I could knit and he asked me to knit him a sweater. I haven't stopped since. That's been about 3 years I guess.

Carol_OH
11-21-2005, 04:53 PM
holy crap that is awesome! Anything Kaffe Fassett deserves a round of applause :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: You always seem to get that really complicated stuff done quickly too! You are truly the golden needles holder.

*points up* yep, what Kemp said!

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 04:59 PM
:blush: :oops: :inlove: Thank you everyone!

Whatever the end product, it's still one stitch at a time, one row at a time. I think that everything in knitting looks a lot more difficult than it is. Don't wait for lessons--give it a shot. I'm sure there must be at least a few yards of extra yarn laying around your houses somewhere! :roflhard:

And Silver--the hardest part of the St. Moritz sweater was the mile of plain stockette stitch until I got to the patterning. I think I dozed off a few times, but it was a good carry-around project for a while.

punkhippiemom
11-21-2005, 05:10 PM
No secrets that I can think of. Determination, too.
LOL - thta's the biggest thing right there.... I can't believe your eyes aren't crossing looking at all those little squares and symbols....
Beautiful as always, I love the design... I bet it's gonna look great on, too!

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 05:15 PM
I think after a while reading patterns and charts is like learning a different language really fluently. You get to a point where you don't have to translate it in your head. You know exactly what they mean.

I sincerely hope it fits. It should, but there's always that question with sweaters in pieces. You can't exactly try it on.

Silver
11-21-2005, 08:39 PM
And Silver--the hardest part of the St. Moritz sweater was the mile of plain stockette stitch until I got to the patterning. I think I dozed off a few times, but it was a good carry-around project for a while.
Yeah, I expect to be good and bored with that part!! lol

mrsbrooks
11-21-2005, 08:55 PM
I wish i could change colors lol I LOVE the sweater !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see it all done!
Hugs,
Vanessa :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 09:00 PM
I wish i could change colors lol I LOVE the sweater !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see it all done!
Hugs,
Vanessa :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

But you CAN change colors! It's easy!! Give it a shot--you'll see!

mrsbrooks
11-21-2005, 09:11 PM
I did try lol see >>> and trust me I DID IT WRONG LOL. can't tell but yes i did it wrong.

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 09:15 PM
That looks good! I, of course, did it perfectly the first time. :---
And I never make mistakes, now. :roflhard: And I never have to sew up holes that invariably happen. :--- And the inside of my sweater is just as smooth and neat as can be. :oo: :---

Everything requires practice, so why shouldn't this? I like the hat--I'd say you're well on your way.

punkhippiemom
11-22-2005, 11:08 AM
Awww, it's a GOOOD hat!!! You did just fine...

Yvonne
11-22-2005, 11:15 AM
I think that hat looks cute and perfectly fine.

Incidentally, I love Kaffe Fassett's colorwork. The beauty of his patterns is that there are rarely if ever any fancy texture stitches or anything. The beauty comes from the color combos and patterns. The actual knitting is generally good old stockinette stitch. I used his kimono coat pattern once just for the shaping and did my own color choices, which I now call my Blob Robe and would never in a trillion years wear out in public. But I did make my sister the same coat with a tweedy, slubby yarn and added a hood to it. I guess she wears it all the time. Wish I had taken a picture of it.

:roflhard:

mrsbrooks
11-22-2005, 11:48 AM
I tore it out it fit me lol....was little to big, and i did the color change wrong big time the duck did not turn out like it was supose to because of how i did the yarn. I will have to find someone near me to sit down with me and teach me the correct way. I taught myself everything i know just about so i think i did ok on it, but i did not do it correct. That and i do not add yarn correct, and i don't hide the ends right i need some help...i guess thats what i get for teaching myself lol.
Hugs,
Vanessa

JGM
11-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Ingrid, would you mind posting a pic of the back of your sweater for us newbs to look at what the backside of fair isle should look like? Or, ya know, just for me cuz I wanna see :)

countingsheep
11-26-2005, 07:30 PM
OH.... MY.... GOSH!!!! :inlove: :inlove: I'm impressed!

That is simply stunning and looks perfect. I see no lumps or loose ends sticking out the front side or holes or dropped stitches... in other words, either you're really good at catching and fixing booboos (like I try to but always seem to miss one or two) or you are just an amazing knitter! Let's stick with amazing!

Keep us posted on how this goes. I have never dared anything quite like that. Heck, I feel "fancy" doing cable stitches! You do beautiful work.

Angela

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Thank you, Angela!

JGM--The back of this sweater is still kind of messy--it's a combination of stranded and intarsia with lots of yarn being connected and disconnected all over the place. When I weave in all the longer ends, it will kind of look like a puzzle.

The second picture is of a true Fair Isle, where the yarn is carried all the way around.

JGM
11-27-2005, 02:56 AM
cool thanks!

javede
11-27-2005, 04:58 AM
OMG :shock:
That's soooooooooooooooooooooooo impressing!!!!!
And did I see it right that you even managed to already weave in some of the ends?
Apart from the fact that I suck at Intarsia, I would probably not motivated enough to weave in the ends once I'm finished knitting.
...did I mention I'm impressed?

Ingrid
11-27-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks!

I tried to weave in as many ends as I could as I went along. As long as everything's secure, I'm not too concerned about what it looks like inside. Once it's done, I'll be the only one who sees it. ;)