PDA

View Full Version : I think I knit the wrong way

marifp
11-21-2005, 03:52 PM
I think I have been knitting the wrong way :( Sigh...
I watched all the videos here and I knit differently than the regular knit st.
Instead of inserting the needle under the front yarn, to the back, yarning from back to front, I insert the need in between the yarns (middle of the stitch) and yarn from front to back. Does that make sense?
My final result is the same. But yesterday I was trying to do the kfb increase for the first time and it is just a loose loop that won't become a second stitch.
So, I watched again the knit st video (and the kfb) today and I was doing wrong all along. :doh:
How did this happen? :oops:

Sara
11-21-2005, 04:01 PM
I couldn't figure out how to knit on my own. The pictures in books are really hard to decipher. (And this was way before Amy had the brilliant idea to do this website.) I was lucky enough to have an expert knitter teach me. And now you are lucky 'cause you can watch Amy's videos to learn how to do it. You will be just fine! ;)

Angelia
11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
I misunderstood the diagram I used to teach me how to knit. It turns out I knit using the combined method. Maybe this is what you're doing?

Check this to see if that's what you're doing (Go to "combined method"): http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/knit.php

marifp
11-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I am doing the combined knit stitch. But my purl is right.. :doh:
I have to re-learn to knit, now. :XX:
Thanks!

Angelia
11-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I am doing the combined knit stitch. But my purl is right.. :doh:
I have to re-learn to knit, now. :XX:
Thanks!

Well, the combined method works well if you're just doing garter or stockinette. It certainly puts less strain on the wrists and fingers, I've found, and it's lightning quick, so it's great for scarves and such. But it gets tricky if you want to do increases/decreases. I've had to learn continental for such occasions.

At least you know your method has a name and that it isn't actually "wrong" at all; it just requires some adjustments ;)

Good luck to you!