PDA

View Full Version : So what do you do while your knitting??

itscryttle
11-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Do you watch TV?

Listen to music?

Just curious what everyone else does while they are knitting...

For me. it depends on what I am watching. If its something like the news or something I don't have to "watch" I will knit. If I am really into a show, knit on commercial breaks :lol:

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 09:52 PM
I like to have the TV on when I knit. I never stop--knitting had first priority--sometimes I don't know what the main characters look like if I'm doing a complicated pattern. :rollseyes: I've had to give up subtitled movies, though.

I also like to knit at work if we have a meeting--I really do concentrate on what's being said better if I have something going in my hands.

dustinac
11-21-2005, 09:54 PM
Mostly during TV good thing for tivo :thumbsup: if I hear something that gets my attention I can rewind LOL.. Sometimes during music.. When we go to WV I knit in the car.. dh even says you have something to work on? I drive him crazy if I don't... :D

Jan in CA
11-21-2005, 09:58 PM
I sometimes listen to music during the day while I knit unless there is something interesting on Oprah or Martha. At night the TV is on.

margie
11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
During the day, I have the radio on. At night, the TV is usually on. Sometimes, it's just nice to knit in the quiet house, though!! That opportunity doesn't come up very often though.........

brendajos
11-21-2005, 10:53 PM
oh my...lol...okay...

I knit at the movies,
I knit in the drive through,
I knit at stop lights ,
I knit standing in line at the store,
I knit while other people are driving,
I knit in training sessions,
I knit in bed,
I knit while watching TV.

and that is probably the order in which i do them the most often...lol. sadly i am rarely at home as i start my first job at 7:30am and get home from my second job at 9:30pm. soooo i have to sneak a few stitches in whenever i can! ;)

Angelia
11-21-2005, 10:58 PM
TV mostly. During the day, I put the tv on a music choice channel of some sort, and the type depends on my mood. I have noticed that I can knit at a pretty quick clip if I knit while listening to Metal Mania on VH1Classic :)

At night, regular TV.

earthchick
11-21-2005, 11:19 PM
We don't do TV - got rid of cable, don't have an antenna, but we do watch the occasional DVD and I always knit during those.

I watch my kids play while I knit (though they frequently make it impossible for me).

I knit between sets of weight-lifting (in little one-minute increments, wearing weight-lifting gloves, no less, but hey, whatever it takes to feed my addiction).

I knit in the car while dh drives (so far have resisted the urge while I'm driving).

I knit during meetings or sometimes at social gatherings (if it's just a group of women hanging out having coffee - not like a major Christmas party or anything! ;) )

But honestly, my favorite thing to do while knitting is nothing else. I like to get up early before anyone else is awake, and sit in my recliner with a cup of coffee, and enjoy the silence while I knit.

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 11:21 PM
earthchick--anyone with twin toddlers appreciates the silence, I imagine!! ;)

katiyana
11-21-2005, 11:32 PM
or DVD's - I have a full entertainment center here in my sewing room 8)

Carol_OH
11-22-2005, 12:08 AM
-while watching TV in the evening
-while driving far (if my husband is driving ;))
-during the day, I like to listen to the radio while I knit in my bedroom if I am not at work

CateKnits
11-22-2005, 12:57 AM
I knit while chatting with my roommate, who is usually also knitting. We knit while watching movies pretty often. If it's something I haven't seen before, she'll tell me which parts I actually need to WATCH. Hehe.
She also likes to knit while playing The Sims, but I get too easily distracted. :rollseyes:

Jan in CA
11-22-2005, 02:22 AM
She also likes to knit while playing The Sims, but I get too easily distracted. :rollseyes:

Ack! How can you knit and play the Sims! You have to use the mouse to do stuff. Or does she just let them wander around on their own and see what they do? That can be fun, too. I haven't played them for months!

CateKnits
11-22-2005, 02:29 AM
Mostly she lets them wander. She'll click something every row or two, though. I get sucked into her game more than mine! I keep telling her it's become more fun for me to watch her sims than to play my own. :lol:

jelly
11-22-2005, 04:31 AM
i mainly knit while watching tv - god bless Netflix!

susies1955
11-22-2005, 05:43 AM
I "listen" to the TV but I can't look at it. I'm TOO NEW to do that. :)
Susie who just started a NY State dishcloth for fun.

Vendie
11-22-2005, 07:41 AM
we don't do tv either, so I generally knit while listening to NPR or books on tape/cd. I can only knit to DVDs if I'm working on something very mundane, otherwise I get sucked in and screw up.

...and when stopped by trains
...and on my lunch break
...while DH is driving (but this event is actually rare)
...in the shower...just kidding

marifp
11-22-2005, 09:40 AM
I "watch" the TV while I knit. But like the OP said, if it is something I really want to watch I will stop knitting to look at it.

Silver
11-22-2005, 09:48 AM
I mostly watch TV or listen to audio books while knitting. But I've been known to knit while walking on the treadmill... haven't figured out how to run and knit yet. LOL

KellyK
11-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Mostly whilst watching TV (I like those satellite TV music stations, too!), but I bring my knitting bag EVERYWHERE I go...its like a security blanket! So, if Im waiting for ANYTHING, I knit. Also I sneak in a couple rows on my lunch. And in the car if DH is driving.

jessi_9783
11-22-2005, 10:29 AM
I like to do to the following in order:
1. Listen to podcasts.
2. Listen to audiobooks. Thank God for Audible.com.
3. Listen to music. I love to listen to Sirius satellite radio. Favorite stations are Sirius Hits 1, Starlite, and Sirius Love.
During road trips I :heart: to knit in the car while listening to an audiobook. I don't like to knit while watching TV because I like to actually "watch" the TV. My TV has feelings, it takes offense when I don't give it my full attention. :rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

Julie
11-22-2005, 10:36 AM
TV -- any show that I watch, I record to my DVR and watch after my kids are in bed. That's my major knitting time. Can't knit during Lost though, too much to see! ;)

If I knit during the day, it's usually while overseeing some kind of craft/game/activity of theirs. I also knit while riding my recumbent stationary bike. :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to get an ipod in the next few months...then I hope to knit while listening to podcasts!! :inlove:

cheetahcalledchloe
11-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Lol, I take my bag with me too - did someone mention security blanket. I seem to spend a lot of my time waiting for kids!!

I do knit when watching tv but discovered I'd missed a huge chunk of LOST by not looking at the screen :doh: So now when Lost is on I just knit during the commercials!!

~Chloe~

VickiIL
11-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Mostly watching tv at night after the kids are in bed. I have checked out audio books from the library and then I knit in my favorite chair by the fireplace or even in bed. But I take my knitting everywhere. So I knit in the car (when DH is driving), in waiting rooms, while watching my kids play, at church (but not during service), anywhere I have a few minutes.

Andrea
11-22-2005, 10:57 AM
I like to have the TV on when I knit. I never stop--knitting had first priority--sometimes I don't know what the main characters look like if I'm doing a complicated pattern. :rollseyes: I've had to give up subtitled movies, though.

:rofling: I found it was a little hard to watch the Kill Bill sword action scenes with English subtitles last night while trying to do clogs of all things!! And I wonder why I had to :frog:

Angelia
11-22-2005, 11:07 AM
I found it was a little hard to watch the Kill Bill sword action scenes with English subtitles last night while trying to do clogs of all things!! And I wonder why I had to :frog:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

A lesson learned, grasshopper ;)

Carol_OH
11-22-2005, 11:25 AM
:rofling: :rofling: :rofling:

knitncook
11-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I, too, knit all the time. I sometimes wish I had an extra set of hands so I could knit while I drive :D I do knit when I'm a passenger then. I knit while waiting for orders at restaurants, while waiting for movies to start, while wiating for my dd's gymnastics class to get over, while listening to NPR in the afternoons. I have found though that I can't knit while watching tv unless it is something I don't have to think about. Rounds of a sock foot or rows on a scarf or something basic. I get too distracted to even do cables while watching tv and knitting and then it is lots of frogging!

feministmama
11-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Another LOST watcher here (what is UP with that show anyway? I think "the others" is some kind of cult) I have all my shows on the DVR thingy and then watch them later. That way I can knit and watch and if I miss anything I can rewind. But I aslo take my knitting with me everywhere. Even if I don't knit, I just have to have it with me. Ya never know. I knit on the bus, in line at the bank, in class during boring lectures, during meetings, in the car on trips, a few lines here and there. Gotta feed that addiction. :XX: :XX: :XX:

feministmama
11-22-2005, 11:54 AM
a few lines here and there. Gotta feed that addiction. :XX: :XX: :XX:

Oops! I mean rows not lines!!! Altho it does seem like a drug sometimes doesn't it?

Angelia
11-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Oops! I mean rows not lines!!! Altho it does seem like a drug sometimes doesn't it?

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Wow, the visual I just got with that one!

Lindsey H
11-22-2005, 01:36 PM
I listen to books on tape/CD.
I knit anywhere when my little one is at home with dh
I am looking forward to being able to knit at the park and the library but for now with a 16 month old it is not possible (It will come too soon, I know)

Jan in CA
11-22-2005, 01:56 PM
a few lines here and there. Gotta feed that addiction. :XX: :XX: :XX:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I watch Lost, too and I definitely can't knit while watching that! I've never listened to audio tapes guess I better get with it here! ;)

knittingdoula
11-22-2005, 02:40 PM
As an Orthodox Jew, I try and listen to rabbinical lectures online via streaming audio while I knit. That way, I'm taking care of the physical and the spiritual in one shot! :D (I'm all about multitasking!)

I, too, like to knit in silence .... what peace!

We don't have cable, so tv is out, though I sometimes listen to talk radio while knitting ... that's kinda nice, too.

Alison

amy
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm all about the audio books! Love knitting while listening to a book!

Sometimes DH and I will read together. He'll read out loud, while I knit. Heaven! The only challenge is finding a book we both are interested in. Some friends recommended "The Time Traveler's Wife," which was a hit with both genders of our friends, so we're reading that together now, and are both very into it!

I LOVE the idea of pod-casts. Isn't that where you can download your favorite talk-radio show, and listen whenever you want to? Do you need an i-pod to do it? If it's an mp3, seems like you could use any mp3 player, right? I like that idea a lot. I'm looking for something to listen to on my own right now, and I don't want to start another audio book until DH and I are done reading this one.

I used to knit while watching TV. That's how I taught myself to knit without looking. But I no longer watch TV at all. Although I do knit while watching a DVD. It's got to be a simple project though, like Michelle said, or I get too distracted and just end up putting it down.

jessi_9783
11-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I LOVE the idea of pod-casts. Isn't that where you can download your favorite talk-radio show, and listen whenever you want to? Do you need an i-pod to do it? If it's an mp3, seems like you could use any mp3 player, right? I like that idea a lot.
Podcasts are like talk radio only much, much better. Everything from audiobooks to knitting to Harry Potter. There is just so much to choose from. Go to the podcast directory at Ipodder.org (http://www.ipodder.org) You don't need an iPod although it's better to have one. With an iPod iTunes will automatically download the podcast and put it on the iPod. Once you listened to it iTunes will delete it and put on the next. The other reason why it's better with an iPod is because you can listen to it then listen to music and when you go back to the podcast it will pick up right where you left off. You can't do that with most mp3 players. It's also better because podcasters are starting to do enhanced podcasts. Enchanced podcasts are podcasts that can include slideshows, URLs, and other cool stuff that's built right into the file. I listen to podcasts on a Creative MuVo N200 mp3 player but will soon be listening on a new iPod Nano. It ships on the 28th. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: So don't let not owning an iPod stop you. All your need is an aggregator, I recommend Juice (http://juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/index.php). Subscribe to the podcasts that you want, it will download them for you then you will have to manually put them onto your mp3 player. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

By the way Amy, I love KH. I would have given up on knitting a long time ago if it weren't for you an your site. Thank you.

CateKnits
11-22-2005, 04:29 PM
I think KH needs a Podcast. ;)

I've had an iPod mini since April but haven't yet gotten into podcasts. I can't figure out how to find one I want to listen to. There are too many. :shock:

amy
11-22-2005, 04:50 PM
COOL! Jessi, thanks for the info, I'm totally going to go check out that site with the different pod-casts. I can see now why folks like the i-pod. Hmmmm, I wonder if DH would get it for me for x-mas? :eyebrow:

sogrammatical
11-22-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm of the multitasking generation, so I can't just knit - I have to be doing something else too or I get anxious.

I knit while I watch tv or movies a lot. Sometimes I'll knit while I surf the internet, especially if the computer is being slow or I've gotten bored. I have music on pretty much whenever I'm in my room, so I always knit with music on. We get tea on Friday afternoons and I'm always knitting at tea, though not if they give us really messy snacks.

I don't knit in class though. In my science classes I'm too busy taking notes and in my humanities classes I just think it would be rude.

I work as a math tutor and last night there weren't very many people at TA hours so I was knitting while I helped kids with calculus. A friend of mine was there for help so it was a really fun shift.

jessi_9783
11-24-2005, 04:01 AM
COOL! Jessi, thanks for the info, I'm totally going to go check out that site with the different pod-casts. I can see now why folks like the i-pod. Hmmmm, I wonder if DH would get it for me for x-mas? :eyebrow:

I bought mine for my b-day. I bought it through audible.com. If you sign up with their premium plan you get 2 audiobooks a month for the price of $21.95 and you can get a $100 dollars off the iPod or whatever mp3 player you choose. I thought you might like to know since you like audiobooks, so you must know how expensive they are.