PDA

View Full Version : Question about this bag...

Jan in CA
11-22-2005, 02:26 AM
I finished the lacy edge hat and will post a pic tomorrow. I think my next project is going to be this bag (http://www.fceasyknitting.com/index.html) pictured here or one similar to it. It calls for size 9 DPN's although I don't know why!? You cast on 85 stitches and work even till you are done. Huh? Can I use my size 9 bamboo needles?

Also..what type of wool makes the best felting yarn for a sturdy bag. This pattern only calls for a single strand on the main part of it.

VickiIL
11-22-2005, 02:33 AM
Looking at the pattern I would think you would need both straights and dpns. The bag looks like it is worked flat and then stitched. The handles are i-cords so you would need your dpn's to do the i-cord. I am betting the straights were forgotten when the pattern was published. Just my guess.

Angelia
11-22-2005, 09:19 AM
That's a gorgeous bag, Jan!

I'm glad you're finally taking the plunge; I know you've been thinking about making a bag for awhile now!

:happydance: :happydance:

KellyK
11-22-2005, 09:24 AM
The sturdiest yarn Ive ever FELT felted (hee hee!) was Lamb's Pride...Hildie made a wine bottle cozy & its about 3/4" thick!!

Angelia
11-22-2005, 09:26 AM
The sturdiest yarn Ive ever FELT felted (hee hee!) was Lamb's Pride...Hildie made a wine bottle cozy & its about 3/4" thick!!

Heh...felt felted...

3/4" thick? Really? Geez! Now THAT would make for a sturdy bag!

KellyK
11-22-2005, 09:27 AM
YEAH! :shock: Well, maybe somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4....but its STURDY!

Im making another pair of cloggies for ME outta that stuff! (AFTER Christmas!!)

Angelia
11-22-2005, 09:31 AM
YEAH! :shock: Well, maybe somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4....but its STURDY!

Im making another pair of cloggies for ME outta that stuff! (AFTER Christmas!!)

Sheesh. Be careful, then: you won't have an excuse to make more for yourself (except for color change) since they'll never wear out!

brendajos
11-22-2005, 09:36 AM
oooh i love working with lambs pride! and because it has mohair it has a nice little bit of fuzziness to it.

and i feel like i am supporting the locals even though mitchell NE is w~a~a~a~a~a~a~a~a~a~a~a~y over ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~t~h~e~r~e~~~~~~~~~~~>

tigger0229
11-22-2005, 10:05 AM
oh I got this mag too due to the bag on front. it also has the matching tool kit.

feministmama
11-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Wouldn't hemp be the strongest in the land? :thinking:

brendajos
11-22-2005, 12:05 PM
you can felt hemp? :??

Jan in CA
11-22-2005, 01:45 PM
VickiIL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:33 am Post subject:
Looking at the pattern I would think you would need both straights and dpns. The bag looks like it is worked flat and then stitched. The handles are i-cords so you would need your dpn's to do the i-cord. I am betting the straights were forgotten when the pattern was published. Just my guess.

You are right! I just looked again and it mentions the DPN's for the I-cord, but no mention of the needles for the bag that I can see. I'll use my straights.
KellyK
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:24 am Post subject:

LOL Wow..that would be perfect for a wine cozy, but do you really need a bag that sturdy??? I guess if you were carrying rocks around, but yarn isn't so heavy. ;)
tigger0229
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:05 am Post subject:
oh I got this mag too due to the bag on front. it also has the matching tool kit.

It's got all kinds of matching felted knitting things! I bought it for the bag, too. ;)
feministmama
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:02 am Post subject:
Wouldn't hemp be the strongest in the land?

I echo what Brenda said..can you felt hemp?

In any case, I'm not carrying rocks as I said before. I was thinking of making my own yarn bag or whatever if it's smaller so it doesn't need to be super heavy, but I don't want the sides to cave in. I'll check out the Lamb's Pride, but would WOTA work for a bag? Good price on that stuff!

Oh and if I double the yarn instead of single would it make it sturdier regardless of what I use (woolwise)?

Jan in CA
11-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Ack! I was looking at the cost of wool.. the Lion Brand is so pretty, BUT it's way too expensive especially for a project I'm new at. Lamb's Pride is pretty, but also quite expensive. WOTA is much more affordable so I think I'll order some of that and do a swatch of both one and two strands to see how sturdy it is.

Thanks for all the help!

brendajos
11-22-2005, 03:38 PM
don't forget to look at yardage!!

Jan in CA
11-22-2005, 03:44 PM
don't forget to look at yardage!!

Yep, giving my computer calculator a good workout! ;) I'm just having trouble picking colors!