PDA

View Full Version : Yarn 12-Step Program?

CarmenIbanez
11-22-2005, 05:16 PM
HOW HOW HOW do I stop buying yarn? I have no room for it. I literally went to the LYS the other day to buy ONE skein of something I needed. What did I buy? 8 skeins of something I talked myself into needing. I still have a lot of acrylic yarn left from when I first started. Everytime I reorganize and get it all worked out, I just end up adding more!!! AAACCCKKK!

Ingrid
11-22-2005, 05:21 PM
And what is your question? Is there something wrong with this? If you want help in learning how to 'Just say No,' I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place! :rofling:

I've often said that if there were ever Yarn Anonymous meetings, we'd all end up bringing our latest project to do as we sat there. Kind of like bringing your favorite wine to an AA meeting.

We are enablers, here!! Run! As fast as your can! Or else accept defeat and surrender like the rest of us. ;)

KellyK
11-22-2005, 05:30 PM
HOW HOW HOW do I stop buying yarn?
There are SEVERAL ways to stop buying yarn including, but not limited to:

Kicking the bucket...
Buying the farm....
Pushing up some daisies...
Walking through the valley of the shadow of death and fearing no evil....
Cashing in your chips...
Knocking off...
Biting the dust....
Meeting your maker....
Croaking....

Let us know if none of those work. :roflhard:

brendajos
11-22-2005, 05:54 PM
:shock: KELLY! :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

Jan in CA
11-22-2005, 06:12 PM
Heh...I just started, but all the yarn is calling my name! :shock: I told my husband I feel like a Yarn Ho! He thought that was hilarious! We'll see how he feels in a few months! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

KellyK... :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

KellyK
11-22-2005, 08:49 PM
:shock: KELLY! :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

Well, those would be the only ways I'D stop buying yarn!! :shifty:

boyforpele13
11-22-2005, 09:05 PM
I told my husband I feel like a Yarn Ho!

Join the club, Jan! Proudly worn on my knitting bag:

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/6/22561606_F_tn.jpg

My family and friends TORTURE ME! Last trip to the LYS's on mom's coast, I had to hide all the yarn in my trunk so no one would know.

I always say I could be spending my money on WAY worse things.

aprildavis99
11-22-2005, 10:07 PM
I feel so at home here...I can't exactly put my finger on it...hmmmm :thinking:

Could it be that I enjoy ripping open a box of yarn just as much as ripping off my husbands shirt...if not more? :doh:
:roflhard: :roflhard:

mintdee
11-22-2005, 11:13 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
Thats a great you might be joke,
If you love enjoy ripping open a box of yarn more than your husbands shirt, you might be a yarn ho! :thumbsup:

:roflhard:

BinkyKat
11-22-2005, 11:40 PM
KK, you found the cure! I plan on being buried with all my yarn, NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE will get it when i'm gone! DH can remarry the first woman he meets at my wake, but heck be darned if she gets her nasty mits on my Precious!

Oh, I'm getting the feeling from the other posts it was probably wrong to bring a cheesecake to my Weight Watchers group back several years ago? Hmmm, no wonder my membership got cancelled! :roflhard:

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 10:10 AM

Yvonne
11-23-2005, 10:18 AM
OMG, it's so good to be among kindred spirits!
I sometimes worry that I won't live long enough to use up my whole stash, and of course this is true because how will I ever run out when I keep buying yarn?
I went on a chenille-buying spree a couple years ago and bought about 65 pounds on cones. No, I'm not kidding. I made ten trillion crocheted afghans from it, and yet it seems to all still be here. I think it multiplies in my dark walk-in closet at night.
I might decide to put it into balls or hanks of manageable size and sell it. However, knitters might not want it because it does tend to be wormy in knitting projects. Chenille is so gorgeous; it's not fair that it's so hard to knit with. :doh:

tigger0229
11-23-2005, 10:29 AM
YARN HO?? ROFL, that is too funny!
:roflhard:

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Yvonne--there's a term for what you said--SABLE

Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy

I'm going to live to be at least 200 at this rate!!

kemp
11-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I keep saying we all should buy some of THESE (http://www.cafepress.com/knitty/617857/?pid=3924697)!!!!!

ebrperk
11-23-2005, 10:57 AM
I wish my stash self reproduced when I was sleeping. I would like it to create lots of wool and merino and cashmere and silk etc etc etc.

Robin

aprildavis99
11-23-2005, 11:20 AM
I just ordered the Yarn Ho button. Maybe next payday I will get the women's hoodie. :happydance:

kemp
11-23-2005, 11:21 AM
How fun! I've been putting it off, but I really want to order that cami with "yarn ho" on it.

Carol_OH
11-23-2005, 11:56 AM
kemp, thanks (I think!) for posting those cool yarn ho stuff...gosh I need one "SANTA!?!?!"

I just HAD to get some yarn from handpaintedyarns!

*trembles expectantly* :happydance:

kemp
11-23-2005, 11:58 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: You're welcome! I think if Ihad to choose between the two though, I'd go with the handpainted yarn.

CarmenIbanez
11-23-2005, 01:12 PM
I've finally found a home. I have tried to convert a few of my friends into knitters. It doesn't really work. They just don't understand me. But you all obviously do!

I AM A YARN HO!

rebecca
11-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I have successfully been not buying yarn by not going to LYS or knitting sites...for a little while...until I decided I had to have yarn for matching hat & gloves for clapotis...and....I've been buying addi's while not buying yarn ;)

KellyK
11-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Rebecca is only successful because her DARLIN DH buys it FOR her!!! :roflhard:

kemp
11-23-2005, 01:55 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: So true!

rebecca
11-23-2005, 01:56 PM
:eyebrow: Ain't no doubt, Dahlin' :eyebrow:

rebecca
11-23-2005, 01:57 PM
:heart: I'M SO SPOILED :heart:

MaryS
11-23-2005, 03:56 PM
Welcome to:

ENABLERS 'R US!!!!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

HAPPY KNITTING :XX: :cheering: :XX: :cheering:

Mary

countingsheep
11-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Oh my gosh! I, too, am a Yarn Ho! I had no idea there were so many like me! :happydance: I am in good company!

Now, I have found that beloved hubby has no clue what happens in the laundry room - I'm not sure he even knows it exists. My solution to the yarn situation has been to put one of those storage boxes in there and hide yarn! OK, so it's more like 2 or 3 of them but... it's my laundry room!

As for how to stop buying yarn... if you ever figure it out, you'll be able to sell the secret for enough to buy yarn for the rest of your life! OR you can convince the yarn company that it's in their best interest that you NOT share the secret. Win-Win situation either way! :thumbsup:

Ellen Edwards
11-24-2005, 12:40 PM
I'd bet there are husbands who would pay a lot of money for the "KNITTING SHOCK COLLAR"--a device that throws the offender onto the ground in horrific pain if she even goes near a LYS or knitting site. Anyone willing to knit one up??? ;)

Carol_OH
11-24-2005, 12:59 PM
trudy! hahahahaha!

*ZAP*

Ingrid
11-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm afraid that whoever knitted up an anti-yarn-shopping device would have to have her needles taken away and be banished! :twisted:

javede
11-24-2005, 01:37 PM
*stands up* Yes, I'm a yarn-aholic. *sits down again*

A year before I learned to knit I started sewing. Just after I had gotten rid of my fabric addiction(one big packing case and various, never counted plastic bags :oops: ), a new addiction took hold of me. But boy, this yarn addiction is much worse than the fabric one! The next good LYS is much nearer than the next LFS and yarn is just so much more ...cuddlier :inlove:

Atleast I now only buy yarn enough for a project, not just one ball. Since I'm on a rather tight budget that helps. I don't know what I would do if I could overcheck my account though :shock:

P.S.: needless to say that my yarn stash is bigger than my fabric stash...

Jan in CA
11-24-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm afraid that whoever knitted up an anti-yarn-shopping device would have to have her needles taken away and be banished! :twisted:
Or maybe just put in a corner and poked repeatedly with knitting needles...not enough to injure, just enough to annoy. :lol:

http://members.cox.net/photos/needlepoke.gif

Ingrid
11-24-2005, 02:47 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Love the visual!!

BinkyKat
11-26-2005, 12:21 AM
I'd bet there are husbands who would pay a lot of money for the "KNITTING SHOCK COLLAR"--a device that throws the offender onto the ground in horrific pain if she even goes near a LYS or knitting site. Anyone willing to knit one up??? ;)

And I would feverishly :XX: a neck wrap that would be a buffer under the collar... voila! Problem solved! :thumbsup:

Ellen Edwards
11-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Yep--that WOULD work. But, you know, I need to have my own little shocking device--I DO look for too much "on-sale online" yarn. I don't get out to places that have yarn that much-but the internet has lots of yarn!! And it's too easy to "reach out and touch PAYPAL!!

I gotta make a New Year's resolution this year to STOP buying more sock yarn! It's always sock yarn; I think because I'm too frightened to think about making a sweater. I have never tried, and I don't really want todoa throw or afghan right now. I have done shawls and scarves--and I'd love to do a SIMPLE weater. But, I digress!! Must. Stop. Buying. Yarn!!

Oh--by the way, has anyone tried Andean Treasure at KnitPicks???? ;)

yeah_im_crazy
11-26-2005, 09:37 PM
uhhhh i feel stupid asking thiis but............................what the heck is lys????

KellyK
11-26-2005, 09:41 PM
Local Yarn Store. Hang around, you'll quickly pick up on the LINGO!!

yeah_im_crazy
11-27-2005, 01:14 AM
ohh.....now i REALLY feel stupid!!!!!!!!! haha

wrchili
11-27-2005, 03:57 PM
I too am glad to learn that I'm not alone in my addiction :) I have so much yarn that I have no idea what to make with it, but when you see something you like you have to buy it or you'll never find it again, right? At least that's what I've been telling myself :thinking:

Ellen Edwards
11-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Well, in my best times, I look at it as having something like a "hurricane emergency kit" in the house....like you'd have plenty of water, batteries, canned foods, etc. I just have to have my YARN put into that category, for any emergency that might come up, and enough needles to knit WITH. :thumbsup:

THEN--I feel completely justified about my yarn stash, because I'm being "responsible" enough to plan for hurricane-LIKE emergencies---only there ain't no hurricane, there's only knitting! :thumbsup:

I mean, ya know what I mean??. ;) :blush: Because KNITTING can never be DESTRUCTIVE but HURRICANES CAN be!! And we DON'T want THAT!

And in my "full of guilt about stash" times, I just say "I ...ah, um, you know--I have too m...."( Trudy's head fall over on her left shoulder, zapped out from confusion --like the robot women on that Star Trek episode!)) :shock: :D