PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions - Inox vs. Addi Turbo

boyforpele13
11-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi all!

I bought a stash of Inox that were in the clearance bin at the LYS a while back and haven't really used them yet. I'm working on one of the "spa facecloths" and wound up needing to use the Inox as they're the only 6's I have and I'm finding them to be REALLY comparable to the Addi Turbos I paid a fortune for.

Do you all have any feelings on this, those who have used both? I know the cable is different, it's more of a black nylon or something, but I'm not having any problem with it twisting or kinking or anything and those needles sure feel fast and slippery! (ed.) Apparently I have the Inox Express, the nickel-plated aluminum with the black cord, just for clarification. Thanks! :)

P.S. Are my hands just big and fat or are US 6 needles where they start getting "small"? I've worked on 3's and 5's, but I really feel like "small" starts at 6. Just me?

Thanks all!!! :-)

knitqueen
11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
I have one Inox and one Addi. I like the Addi better but I don't have the Inox Express, just the regular one. I DO like it, let me clarify, but the cable on the Addi is so much more flexible. I would tend to go with the Inox though, just because of the $$$ factor.

caviar
11-23-2005, 12:23 AM
ADDI ADDI ADDI ADDI ADDI ADDI!

Why?

1. I prefer the tips on the Addis, but someone else may just as well prefer the Inox, so that's not really a good reason to give someone else.

2. I'm super picky about metal texture. I can't stand scrubbing stainless steel dishes with Brillo pads, for instance. My teeth are getting goosebumps just thinking about it, I swear. I'm weird, what can I say? But the finish on the Addis is just soooooo much nicer to the touch, IMHO.

3. The aforementioned cable issue. I just like the Addi cable better.

The bottom line...it's worth the money to get what you really love in sizes you use all the time. I have Addis in 6 and 8, for instance, and there's always something on them. For anything else, Inox is a good runner-up if you don't have a weird metal hang-up. (Although personally I use my Denises if I'm not using the Addi's...they're super light and they really go almost as fast, but then I'm not a speed knitter).

Sorry to ramble, but I actually have a strong opinion about this one. Don't settle for less than what you love if you're going to spend hours and hours with it. (That goes for knitting needles, friends, men, coffee, chocolate...you name it. ;) )

Kirstin

rebecca
11-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I have to say that I have, use, buy & LOVE them both!! If Inox Express went as smalll as the addi's I don't think I would ever have started using my addi's, but, alas, they do not...so I have been of no help!! I have Inox greys for some socks and am getting addi's for others...depends upon the yarn. I will say, for the $, Inox are a great buy...but, I also get my addi's for a nice price ;)

foldedbird
11-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Haven't used Inox express, but regular metal inox compared to Addi, it's Addi all the way. Saying this from a luxury standpoint... there is nothing wrong with the Inox at all.

Still hoping Santa will bring me some Addi's, though!

boyforpele13
11-23-2005, 02:27 PM
thank you all so much!!!!

rebecca, i did notice that the size selection is not nearly as wide in Inox as Addi, so that will help me make some of my decisions there! and then, of course, if i have to decide between Addis and no yarn, or yarn and Inox, I will go with the Inox. ;-) i have knit quite a bit on that facecloth and i really am enjoying the Inox so far, although STILL not enjoying the size 6.

and speaking of the facecloth, I MUST mention here that I have 1) fixed a drop stitch with a handy dandy crochet hook AND 2) laddered down to correct a P that should have been a K, BOTH without looking at the KH videos or Knitting Experience books for the FIRST TIME! It FINALLY just came naturally to me and I am SO excited to share that. Tinking and ripping, on the other hand, I've been performing deftly at for months. ;-)

Thanks again everyone for your input! I'm so glad to have found this board! It's great to have people like you all to bounce stuff off of.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone! :-D

foldedbird
11-23-2005, 02:32 PM
if i have to decide between Addis and no yarn, or yarn and Inox, I will go with the Inox

Exaaaactly my logic! I have lots more inox, plastic, bamboo needles than I do Addi's. Because of that, I have lots more yarn. Not to say I have ENOUGH yarn.

brendajos
11-23-2005, 03:49 PM
:hiding: psssst..... :hiding: ....over here.... :hiding: .....i have something real nice for you.... :hiding: ...look over here (http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm) :hiding:

rebecca
11-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Bren...I was about to share our secret, too ;)

boyforpele13
11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
OMG!!!! AWESOME LINK!!!!!!

brendajos
11-23-2005, 04:41 PM
well i considered keeping it a secret cuz the more people who know, the less likely he will have what i want when it is time to order but i decided that in the spirit of the holiday season i would give up the info! ;)

rebecca
11-23-2005, 06:15 PM
LOL, Bren has the true holiday spirit bc I was gonna pm the info :roflhard: :rofling:

foldedbird
11-23-2005, 06:52 PM
well i considered keeping it a secret cuz the more people who know, the less likely he will have what i want when it is time to order but i decided that in the spirit of the holiday season i would give up the info! ;)

Glad I'm not alone! :shock:

kitkat
11-24-2005, 12:54 AM
The Jeff guy! I have heard nothing but good things about him!!!!

rebecca
11-24-2005, 02:37 AM
Oh yeah...I order all my addi's from him...he's very, very nice! And is always replenishing his supply, which is a good thing, bc I hope to get from size 0-13 or 15 (although I have no need at all for 15!) in at least 2, some in 3 lenghts :happydance: :cheering: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: I'm well on my way ;)
And I still love my Inox needles, too :heart:

brendajos
11-24-2005, 02:46 AM
needles coming from hong kong and almost always take a week or less for delivery and SUUUUUUUUUPER cheap delivery!!

rebecca
11-24-2005, 04:33 AM
EXTREMELY CHEAP DELIVERY! Girl, u have me jonesing for more addis & I've got several things to get before I can buy any more...I need an addi fix....FAST :pray:

rebecca
11-24-2005, 09:00 PM
OMG OMG OMG OMG :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: My :heart: sweet, :heart: sweet :inlove: husband ordered 3 addi's for me for Thanksgiving :happydance: :happydance: I have the best :inlove: husband :inlove: in the WORLD :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: MUAH :inlove:

Amy1
11-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the link. I just ordered my first Addi's :happydance:

Amy1 :D

rebecca
11-25-2005, 02:37 AM
Oh yeah, we :heart: :inlove: :heart: jeff...he keeps us stocked! My husband even knows where to go to get them, as I recently posted...today, well, yesterday now, he got me a 16" & 24" size 2 and 24" size 3 to add to my growing collection... :inlove: he's so sweet :angelgrin:

HeatherFeather
11-25-2005, 07:06 AM
i was looking at the size of my Addi...and I have used it so much that the size info has rubbed off.....how are the sizes on the Inox?

purlgrrl
11-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah I just got my first pair of Addi Turbos (size 5, 24" for 10.95 from my LYS, which isn't bad at all now is it, and she mailed them to me overnight because I'm snowed in on my mountain) and I rubbed my finger over the size stamp to see if it was etched in and part of one number rubbed off already! Weird, I thought.

Planning on ordering some from Jeff as the need arises...now I have a Boye Needlemaster AND Denise's, the Boyes are heavy and the cables too stiff for my liking. The Denise's are great but I have found I knit worsted in a size 5 and the size 5 Denises are a pain b/c the cable is the same thickness as the needle and I have to push the knitting around a lot, slowing me down. And for DK I need size 3s or 4s so I might even end up selling or trading my Denise set! :shock:

So while my Boye's are great, I sure need Addi's for 16s, don't I? LOL. And treated myself to the 24" 5's for the entirely stockinette sweaters I'm knitting in worsted.

rebecca
11-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I just checked some of my Inox's & each needle has the mm size stamped into the very end of the needle, right before the cable attachment. I suggest getting circular needle ID tags, slips right over the cable when not in use, I'm planning on ordering both the small & large sets from knitpicks...I would link it to you, but my knitpicks won't display for some reason :shock: ...I was about to get a pattern, too!!
FYI, I was mistaken, Lonnie got 4 sets of addi's for me, not 3 :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: YIPPEE

boyforpele13
12-09-2005, 02:27 AM
I DID IT! I ordered from the special place! :)

An unspeakable thing happened to a pair of size 8's I was frantically knitting my sis's shawl with, so I am in dire need of some new ones. I found this special place to even be cheaper than the Inox!!!!! HEART YOU ALL FOR SHARING! :-)

KellyK
12-09-2005, 09:20 AM
An unspeakable thing happened to a pair of size 8's I was frantically knitting my sis's shawl with...

NOT FAIR! SPILL!!!!!

Ellen Edwards
12-09-2005, 12:03 PM
Hey--Becca--are you doing socks on 2 circs, now?? And are you finding it to be pretty easy, if you are?? I'm curious about em!!

rebecca
12-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Oh, I've not knit a sock in MONTHS...which is very, very unusual, but I am busily & happily knitting along on my long list of other accessories, I will be on a sock knitting frenzy when I get around to socks again....but I have decided that I am going to finish these other things before beginning to knit socks again....Now, with that said...I may make a liar out of myself bc one of the goodies that Lonnie ordered for my bday is the book "Sensational Knitted Socks" and when I get my hands on this book...I may go back to my normal SOCK CRAZY self and when I do...I will be experimenting with socks on circs ;) !! I have been playing around with knitting small circumferences with 2 circs and I love it!! I know that knitting socks on circs will be loads of fun, too :inlove: AND...I just ordered some more addi's just for that...this order was for 16" & 24" size 1...and 24" size 9 bc I needed it to round out my size 9's (have 16" & 24" already) A great place to look into 2 socks on 2 circs is here (http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm), a very detailed tutorial :thumbsup: ....LOOKS LIKE LOTS OF FUN BABY :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

boyforpele13
12-09-2005, 04:42 PM
NOT FAIR! SPILL!!!!!

Well.. I was trying to wait and see if a certain someone rectified the situation before I told, but they haven't so fine. I will still leave their name omitted.

A certain large craft store sells their own brand of needles. I found they had a pair of size 8 circulars for $2! Crazy price, and I just couldn't remember if I had 8s at home, so I grabbed them. My only 8s at home were straight and attached to a scarf, so I used the new circulars. I'm knitting fervently and at the end of the 45th or so row, all of a sudden, the cable pops out of the needle. Luckily, I was able to rescue the stitches and then I had to unattach the other 8s from the scarf to keep knitting. I sent them hate mail because this is the second time it's happened to me with their needles (Tip flew off a size 17 mid knitting) but they haven't contacted me back yet. They're in trouble! I know that $2 needles aren't the same as $10 needles, but they SHOULD still work for more than 2 evenings! <sigh> I was furious!

foldedbird
12-09-2005, 04:46 PM
Dang! That's awful!

rebecca
12-09-2005, 05:32 PM
Too bad....this is why I have found that I am accumulating a gazillion or so needles ;) Sounds like a good enough reason, right...bc I just looked & I have aLOT of needles :thumbsup:

boyforpele13
12-11-2005, 05:23 AM
i have a dumb question. i haven't used ebay in ages, so long that my ebay address was old and no longer valid. my PayPal address, however, is current and correct. i didn't notice this until after payment was sent to jeff. i have attempted to contact him, but haven't heard back yet... i'm thinking he would likely ship to the confirmed paypal address over the ebay address, but do you all know how that works? thanx!

purlgrrl
12-12-2005, 10:01 AM
I would think so. I have no idea what my ebay address is. It is probably my old address. They were shipped to my confirmed Paypal address. This is usually done b/c that is where your credit card bill is sent, so they know there is less likely to be credit card fraud if they send it to you there (or if someone illegitimately charged you then at least you get the items, kwim?). Most ebay sellers will ONLY ship to confirmed Paypal addresses.

I ordered 2 sets of needles and they came about a week after I paid for them. Pretty quick! :thumbsup:

Also just a note, they are DEFINITELY Turbos. The packaging says Addi Premium and that is the way Turbos are packaged in Europe. :thumbsup:

boyforpele13
12-12-2005, 10:07 AM
thanks, lauren!!! :)

boyforpele13
12-12-2005, 10:07 AM
thanks, lauren!!! :)