PDA

View Full Version : good morning and happy thanksgiving eve!!

tigger0229
11-23-2005, 09:56 AM
hope everyone is ready for tday tomorrow!!
I am getting off work at 2 and picking my mom and sister up(who'll stay a couple nights with us) and heading home to pick up grandkids, and then we'll get started on tomorrows meal.
all our kids willl be there tomorrow for dinner. however, one person will be missing, DH!! he has to work evening shift, noon-10 pm. he has to leave home at 11 am, so there's no way he can take part in the festivities.
we are very bummed :crying: :crying: :crying:
What are your plans??

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 10:02 AM
My Thanksgiving will be Sunday :rollseyes: so we can have as many people here as we can--which is not many this year. My oldest daughter was just here last month, so she won't fly back until Christmas, my son is a chef at the moment and will be up to his neck in turkeys himself, and my dd who lives with me is working. She gets overtime and a comp day, so she's all for it. Jake will be with his dad, so the only day all of us can eat together would be Sunday.

We'll bring home my dad from the nursing home, and the friend who's renting his house will be coming. Jake's dad, too, since he likes my meal better than his mothers. It will be odd not having days off after Thanksgiving rather than before, but there's no point in making a big meal if there's no one to eat it.

Norman
11-23-2005, 10:08 AM
ugggh.. I need tod ecide what desert I will make ..

I have a book of jsut chocolate deserts that has about a hundre things in it.. then I have my desert book.. you wouldn't believe my cookbooks..

Play opens tonight, so I won't hav emuch time to cook until tomorrow morning :)

But I'm sure it's good to see all the kids, I know from experince tho that it can get a little crazy :)

Yvonne
11-23-2005, 10:08 AM
I am about to start baking pies and doing prep work.
We are having both turkey and ham since we couldn't decide on one or the other. :happydance:

What is up with the price of squash? I bought 3 medium-sized butternut squash and it cost almost ten bucks! They better eat it, that's for sure.
We will be just six people, as our families live up north and we are in south Florida. We do have a friend in the Miami area who is coming though. He is a bachelor and lives for the holiday dinners at our house.

koolbreeze
11-23-2005, 10:12 AM
i'm going to the my MIL!!! oh joy! just a reason to knit!! :happydance: i hate going over there but the food is decent. i'll eat my MIL's cooking over my older sister any day!!! she thinks she is some super chef. her food is horrible! :shock: i'll be damned if i give her another chance to ruin a holiday meal. one year for Christmas my mom let her cook and she made a pork loaf with cranberries rolled in it!! I was so po!! i mean where was my turkey, my Christmas ham!!!??? you just don't do that. you don't experiment on the holidays!! its just the law. its an unwritten rule! :fingerwag:

sorry i got carried away!!! :oops:

tigger0229
11-23-2005, 10:22 AM
ingrid, you have a new avatar! I didn't recognize you at first. LOL.
good idea having on the weekend. hadn't thought of that. my problem is some of my fam works the weekends too. hopefully next year things will be diff.
norman, yum choc!! lots of possibilities!
yvonne, WHAT?? that is expensive for squash!
are you making a squash casserole?
we are having turkey breast. I bought two huge ones, as it seems no one ever eats the dark meat of the turkey, so last year I did this, and they loved the idea, so we're doing it again. now in chicken, everyone loves the legs and thighs. :thinking:
carmel, you are too funny :roflhard:
but you are right, holidays are sacred. experiment on their own time!

Yvonne
11-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Tigger, I cook the squash, mash it with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar and throw it in the oven for a little while. YUM!
Same here, turkey breasts rather than "a" turkey. Nobody here wants the legs. Also have a spiral cut ham. I'm getting hungry already.

Yvonne
11-23-2005, 10:53 AM
Carmell, that pork/cranberry story is hilarious. I don't much go for the homemade cranberry sauce. Reminds me of bloody eyeballs suspended in rubber. Gag. But my 11 y/o daughter loooooooooves that jellied cranberry crap in a can so I will serve that just for her.

Does anybody else hate any traditional Thanksgiving dishes?

Vendie
11-23-2005, 11:05 AM
We tend to switch hosting activities with my parents every year. We went to their house in Cedar Rapids the last two years I think, but this year they've come out here. Just got in last night, and Mom's going to the grocery store for me since I have to work today. :heart: mommy!

Yuck, I hate the cranberry goop too, my mom loves it, but has decided not to make any this year b/c she's the only one who'll eat it. I think we're foregoing on the stuffing this year too as mom and dad are the only ones who eat it and it makes _tons_. I say, just give me turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and some simple veggies! And of course pumpkin pie. :D

koolbreeze
11-23-2005, 11:23 AM
i don't like pumpkin pie...SWEET POTATO PIE!!!!!! :happydance: but sadly this year i will not be getting any since my mom is not cooking.. :crying: i'm pretty sure MIL will have pumpkin! yuk!

Lucy Fan
11-23-2005, 11:31 AM
one year for Christmas my mom let her cook and she made a pork loaf with cranberries rolled in it!! I was so po!! i mean where was my turkey, my Christmas ham!!!??? you just don't do that. you don't experiment on the holidays!! its just the law. its an unwritten rule! :fingerwag:

:roflhard: That reminds me of the episode of Everyone Loves Raymond where Debra cooked a fish for Thanskgiving. It was too funny. But seriously, if I showed up for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner and there was no turkey or ham I would not be happy. LOL

tigger0229
11-23-2005, 11:48 AM
i make fresh cranberry sauce and you'd be surprised how good it tastes. I never ate that gel from the can. but homemade, yummy yummy.

Ingrid
11-23-2005, 11:51 AM
My sister and her husband are vegetarians. She makes a Russian Vegetable pie with a turkey shaped crust on it for Thanksgiving. Needless to say, the only people who come over to her house for Thanksgiving are her in-laws, also vegetarian.

I'll stitck with the 'usual'. This year my daughter wants to try sweet potato french fries, though, in an effort to get her kids to try them. I'm sure the younger one would love sweet potatoes, but he emulates his much pickier brother.

Carol_OH
11-23-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm cleaning the house today - my mom and one of my brothers is coming by tomorrow (if they don't get snowed in, that is) DH is doing all the cooking, though! WHOO HOOO!

I love that cranberry goo, FB - send me yours!

When I was young, we always had ham at T-giving because my dad worked in restaurants (chef) and cooked turkey all day long!

Jan in CA
11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Everyone is coming here. I'm making pumpkin bread and my dad's favorite black cherry jello w/bananas. DH is making the turkey, potatoes and stuffing. Stepmom is bringing the candied sweet potatoes, pies and cheesecake. One daughter is bringing greenbean casserole. Should be fun. Better be fun. ;)

tigger0229
11-23-2005, 02:05 PM
yum pumpkin bread. my son in law is making that. also he's making an apple pie and my daughter is making a cheesecake.
my other daughter is making the broccoli casserole. I'll be making the turkey breasts, macaroni and cheese, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, potato salad, slaw, mashed potatoes and gravy for those who don't do pot salad, baked beans, sweet potato casserole, and my mom will make the dressing, as no one can make it like her!
she'll be 84 in January. :heart:

Vendie
11-23-2005, 03:11 PM
I kinda miss big T-day festivities, but I really enjoy just having my DH and parents as company - more leftovers :D And since I don't get to see my folks too often, it's very nice to have them around.

One year, when I was in middle school, we went to Toronto for Thanksgiving and had Thanksgiving dinner at McDonalds. I think I'd much rather have turkey than Chicken McNuggets anyday.

tigger0229
11-23-2005, 03:30 PM
FG, ugh, mcnuggets!! wow.
that was a special memory!
:roflhard:
our big family (my side) gets together a few weeks before christmas and on mother's day. there's 80+ people. this is just my mother, brothers, sisters, their kids, grandkids, great g'kids, etc. WE ARE HUGE. LOL. I have 7 brothers and sisters!! it's wonderful.
On t-day, i usually have my mom and youngest sis, along with all our kids and g'kids, so it's about 11 (next year will be 12!)

Sammi
11-23-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm not getting off work until 5 p.m. The I have to get home and start making my pumpkin pies!! If my son comes to my house and I don't have any...I'm in big trouble! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Ellen Edwards
11-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Gee-reading about all this food is making my mouth water--I'd love to come eat with any of you!! My DH doesn't like turkey or dressing and our only living child is in Alabama--600 miles away from us. (He will be eating dinner with his MIL who MOVED down there when my son and her daughter married and moved down there!! Doggone her!! Now she sees him and her daughter AND the 15 month-old grandboy ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!!!!! oops, sorry for the rant on Thanksgiving, ya'll.):oops:
Carmell, I guess we're the party=poopers here.
:(
And my Dh is working til 4, so when he gets home,we'll most likely continue remodeling our bathroom , which we've been working on for three weeks+ now. Taking sponge baths in the kitchen and washing your hair in the kirchen sink isn't all it's cracked up to be!! We only have 1 bathroom and DH is neither a plumber OR a carpenter but he's doing a lot of "learning by your mistakes" !! I'm just thankful he's got the commode back in -after the first day!!I was in PAIN for a day there!!!!! :shock:

But, I know he's really doing all this just for me, so I'm THANKFUL I have him--I'm even THANKFUL my son has his MIL and my DIL to cook for him and sweet little grandboy for Thanksgiving!!

I'm also thankful I don't have to eat her green bean casserole. ;)

Ingrid
11-24-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm also thankful I don't have to eat her green bean casserole. ;)

That's one way to look at it! :rofling: I'm kind of at a loss today, too. I'm cooking on Sunday so people can be here, but it won't seem the same, especially going to work the next day. Oh well. Atleast I was able to take a shower this morning. ;)

humblestumble
11-24-2005, 01:15 PM
My boyfriend was planning on picking me up early and going to his house to eat brunch and then going out to eat with my family, but I haven't seen him. My parents went to visit my brother to find out that he's going to visit his dad and his dad's new girlfriend, so I wont be seeing my brother or his girlfriend this year for thanksgiving. He'll come with us to Austin for Christmas though.

So I guess it's just my parents and I, possibly my boyfriend when we go out to eat...Yea we're going to a restaraunt to eat. My mom doesnt feel like cooking this year, and it's only very few of us, so it makes sense. We might go out to the beach because no one will be there - just to be unconventional. My mom has always felt obligated by her mother to do all these traditional things, so this year we aren't doing that. She says we might next year though...

I just hope I at least get Christmas dinner to be somewhat normal...my aunt said she is making a mexican Christmas dinner - blech. I live in South Texas and really don't prefer that stuff. And besides, my aunt is anglo, and um, I don't think she can really make tamales and stuff like the mexicans and hispanics do.

We usually have the same stuff for thanksgiving and christmas, but sometimes we add a ham in there for christmas.

Racerkatie
11-24-2005, 01:41 PM
It is about time to start the turkey stuffing. I've whiled away the morning working out Dakota's name for her stocking. My brother, wife and three daughters (including Miss Dakota, age 1.25) will be here for dinner in the mid-afternoon. And my racing buddy, Kevin. I've not gotten much time with my nieces this year, so am anxious to see them. Weather here is way too wonderful ... 70 degrees, but hint of Pacific storm with snow in the Sierra for tomorrow.

We did hear the piece on NPR about making the mashed potatoes in advance -- complete -- and place in casserole dish. Then 40 minutes before dinner cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 325 degrees. The bowl, the potatoes and everything is supposed to stay hot through dinner. We are going to try it!

Other than that new effort, all else will be traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Sammi
11-25-2005, 01:19 PM
So, how was everyone's Thanksgiving? Mine was great! I got my pies done and I have to say that they were really good. I'm trying to watch my diet, so I made the pires with fructose and they turned out great! Nobody knew that they were totally sugar free!! I made 2 pumpkin pies and an apple. I had a nice surprise too. My daughter and her family came up. They live about 200 miles away. I didn't know that they were coming and so the scarf I have been knitting her for Christmas was laying out and she saw it. :rollseyes: She asked who I was making it for and I told her the dog. Needless to say, she didn't buy that. I made her a hat that goes with it.

Ellen Edwards
11-26-2005, 07:42 PM
WOW!! Sammi, that was great that your daughter and her family came up!! That was HUGE! My son lives 600 miles away, and of course, they couldn't make it--but we're spending Christmas with them in Alabama..and I'm counting the days!
By the way...we had a nice Thanksgiving--quiet, but nice--and we have so much to be thankful for! ;)

tigger0229
11-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Ellen, so sorry you can't see your grandson. I know that is painful!! but I'm glad to read you will be seeing him at christmas. grandbabies are special and I know I couldn't do long distance!!
Sammi, ROFL. the dog?? maybe she did buy it.
my t-day was fantastic!!
holidays too short tho, and now I'm back at work.