PDA

View Full Version : Micro-Spun

maniago
11-23-2005, 02:55 PM
This yarn is going to make me pull my hair out or cut 6 skeins up and burn them. It is splitting and stretching in the wrong place! I have tried large and small needles. Anyone else had such frustrating problems with this yarn

VickiIL
11-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I quickly gave up on my microspun project for that very reason.

Julie
11-23-2005, 04:52 PM
I knit one small project with microspun and vowed NEVER AGAIN ;)

(it's really a shame, because it's soooo soft and the colors are fabulous!)

jelly
11-23-2005, 05:26 PM
i WILL NEVER buy that crap again - NEVER!!

each skein had multiple knots and breaks - i threw it away - it's worthless

brendajos
11-23-2005, 05:30 PM
uh oh...lol. and i gave some away after i realized i was no longer going to make the pattern i had intended it for.

:( Sorry Dustina!!! I Had no idea!!!!! :hiding:

CateKnits
11-23-2005, 05:41 PM
I've used it for some things...It was the first yarn I bought for a project, though, and I quickly gave up on it then. I don't mind it now, but it's not my favorite.

Angelia
11-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I used it for some socks, and it is pretty irritating at times. It takes a lot of patience...A LOT of patience. Quick knitting isn't possible with it.

If you like the softness or need it for your project, then I think it could be worth the effort. The socks I made are incredibly soft and cozy.

That fact however, just doesn't lower the frustration rating for me. I personally won't knit with it again.

eyemhungry
11-23-2005, 07:51 PM
I HATED this yarn! I made a baby blanket for a friend of mine with this yarn and hated every minute of it. I worry about the blanket... that it's not holding up or it's looking poorly. I was so let down because it was sooooo soft and pretty!

KellyK
11-23-2005, 07:57 PM
WOW!!!

Well, if y'all are looking for a good substitute, Knitpicks' Shine is just as soft...that's what I made my niece's dress from, and it was nice to work with...

Jan in CA
11-23-2005, 10:36 PM
I had no idea this yarn was such a pain. I was feeling it yesterday and thinking how soft it was. Glad I didn't get any!

Angelia
11-23-2005, 10:49 PM
I had no idea this yarn was such a pain. I was feeling it yesterday and thinking how soft it was. Glad I didn't get any!

That's how it starts, Jan! Run away! Run away!

It feels soooo soft to the touch, and it comes in such perky, bright colors! It uses these advantages to get you to bring it home....then you work with it and within 2 minutes of CASTING ON, you're ready to commit some horrible crime using your knitting needles.

Just back away and no one will get hurt.

Jan in CA
11-23-2005, 10:52 PM

That's how it starts, Jan! Run away! Run away!

It feels soooo soft to the touch, and it comes in such perky, bright colors! It uses these advantages to get you to bring it home....then you work with it and within 2 minutes of CASTING ON, you're ready to commit some horrible crime using your knitting needles.

Just back away and no one will get hurt.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Angelia
11-23-2005, 10:55 PM
:roflhard:

I LOVE your new avatar, Jan! :heart: :heart:

What is it? Other than really cute?

CateKnits
11-23-2005, 11:05 PM
I made this with it (I made a back for it and use it as a wallet)!

I wanted to use the rest to make a matching hat (green with pink piratey guys), but I'm not sure I'm up to it yet. It wasn't too bad for a small project. And I looooove the obnoxious colors!

Angelia
11-23-2005, 11:08 PM
I made this with it (I made a back for it and use it as a wallet)!

I wanted to use the rest to make a matching hat (green with pink piratey guys), but I'm not sure I'm up to it yet. It wasn't too bad for a small project. And I looooove the obnoxious colors!

Wonderfully obnoxious!

I love the skull and crossbones! :heart:

And what an ironically apt representation of this yarn.

POISON! DEADLY!

Jan in CA
11-23-2005, 11:09 PM
:roflhard:

I LOVE your new avatar, Jan! :heart: :heart:

What is it? Other than really cute?

Thanks! I'm not sure what it is..maybe an eggplant? :roflhard:

I get a lot of my smileys here (http://smilieland.com/) which is where I found it. I just saved it to my HD.

CateKnits
11-23-2005, 11:14 PM

POISON! DEADLY!

And, yet, OBNOXIOUS! CUTE! :D

Angelia
11-23-2005, 11:15 PM

POISON! DEADLY!

And, yet, OBNOXIOUS! CUTE! :D

Exactly! It is a yarn of contradictions...paradoxes...ambiguities...

Mer
11-24-2005, 12:10 AM
To add to the microspun list, it's very pill-y too. I finished a bolero with it (don't ever use it for lace!) and it's very soft but splits a ton and now it pills as well. :rollseyes:

DotMom61
11-24-2005, 02:13 AM
Well, I guess I'm the only one here who likes it. :shifty:

I'm in the middle of a tank top with it, and I have actually rather enjoyed working with it because of its softness. I'm knitting in the round w/ it. I wonder if that has something to do w/ it, too. I don't have to turn my project or anything.

Now, though, I'm worried about Mer's comment re: pilling! Time will tell, I guess, and I'm not planning on finishing this tank anytime soon -- too cold to wear it!

HeatherFeather
11-24-2005, 09:56 AM
what is this beast we are talking about....who makes it??? so I can stay a WAYYYYYYYY

Angelia
11-24-2005, 10:05 AM
what is this beast we are talking about....who makes it??? so I can stay a WAYYYYYYYY

It's Lion Brand Micro-Spun (http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/microspu.htm). Learn to identify it so that it cannot tempt you. And whatever you do, don't touch it; if you do, it will make you buy it.

Run away! Run away!

laceys
11-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Oh no! :shock:

I just bought a skein thinking it would make a nice scarf. Now I am scared to try it out.

humblestumble
11-24-2005, 12:38 PM
:shock: My experience was pleasureable...I knit some wrist warmers, but they didn't fit so I gave them to a friend (I have small hands and it was a one size fits most women thing) I have like 3 more skeins to make some more stuff... :blush:

maniago
11-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Softness was one of the reasons I bought it, the other reason it was on sale for .99. I just can't stand to even look at it now.

humblestumble
11-25-2005, 01:50 AM
yea, my wristwarmers turned out really soft and kinda slippery. Wish they woulda fit. I crocheted with Microspun too. I quite like it.

HeatherFeather
11-25-2005, 06:36 AM
well that's too bad. :( I kinda like that!!!

is it trying to be "something else"....I always think of mercerized cotton when I look at it..

btw, for the early birds....Michaels has a coupon for 25% off EVERYTHING, including sale items....cupon tho...in Wednesday's sale paper deal.....I'm off to find an internet coupon for it...XX fingers that I can find one, otherwise I have to bug my girlfriend for it....cuz I don't know what time she is leaving this am to go shopping...the coupon is for 6-9 this am only.

Angelia
11-25-2005, 08:32 AM
well that's too bad. :( I kinda like that!!!

is it trying to be "something else"....I always think of mercerized cotton when I look at it..

btw, for the early birds....Michaels has a coupon for 25% off EVERYTHING, including sale items....cupon tho...in Wednesday's sale paper deal.....I'm off to find an internet coupon for it...XX fingers that I can find one, otherwise I have to bug my girlfriend for it....cuz I don't know what time she is leaving this am to go shopping...the coupon is for 6-9 this am only.

OH NO! I just found the Michaels coupon. Thanks Heather!

Guess I know where I'm going when the dh wakes up! But ugh...I do not like shopping on Black Friday...Fortunately, there's a back way into the mall from my apartment complex, and I'm pretty sure I can just park in the neighboring cotton field and walk. Too bad it's about 20 degrees outside. I really need to make myself a hat... Oh, I can buy ingredients for that today! :thumbsup:

HeatherFeather
11-25-2005, 09:07 AM
well....the internet wasn't WORKING to get the sale paper.....I am PEEVED.....AND to top it off...we decided that we didn't need any of the sale papers, so it went in the trash with all the turkey goo....sigh...

But the homespun is 3.44 a ball...and the Knifty Knitter I got for the kids was less than 10....sooooooooooo I saved anyway...., BUT it would have been nice to save MORE>>>>>>>>>>

I got 8 skeins of the homespun, and the KK for 39.xx

(sorry to hijack the thread)....

bubba
11-25-2005, 04:27 PM
I've used this yarn only to crochet chemo hats for my mother in law with....they are her absolute favorite because they are so soft. Crocheting was not bad with it, but I don't think I'd like to use it for knitting with.

pat.

punkhippiemom
11-25-2005, 04:38 PM
:shock: I have touched the Microspun....
I must have some....
but now I think I'll try a hat or a scarf instead of the child's sweater I had planned. ;)

ROFL Pat - my friend has that bumper sticker! I love it!!

KnittinKitten
11-26-2005, 02:31 PM
I, too, was sucked in by the softness for chemo caps. I've been working on the Amelia Aviator cap forFREAKINGever with this stuff. I'm about 2/3 done ... I want my size 9 needles back, so I WILL finish this project. I WILL! I WILL! I WILL!

:XX:

KristiMetz
11-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Just wanted to say, thanks for this thread! I am starting this (http://www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/shawl2.asp) project, and it recommends MicroSpun.

I went to my LYS and got a very nice wool/silk/alpaca blend which I think will work beautifully instead.

I like natural fibers better anyway - the softness of something manmade just can never compare to the natural softness of animal fibers... and the more organic the better.[/url]

Angelia
11-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Just wanted to say, thanks for this thread! I am starting this (http://www.frugalhaus.com/scripts/shawl2.asp) project, and it recommends MicroSpun.

I went to my LYS and got a very nice wool/silk/alpaca blend which I think will work beautifully instead.

I like natural fibers better anyway - the softness of something manmade just can never compare to the natural softness of animal fibers... and the more organic the better.

Oh, that shawl is beautiful! :inlove: And you have chosen much MUCH better yarn! :thumbsup:

dustinac
11-26-2005, 05:57 PM
uh oh...lol. and i gave some away after i realized i was no longer going to make the pattern i had intended it for.

:( Sorry Dustina!!! I Had no idea!!!!! :hiding:

:roflhard: :roflhard: Thats ok Brendajos!! I made a scarf out of it so didn't have much problems it would split and will stretch somewhat.. I had thought about making something else out of the leftovers like a sweater for Roo but I think its more for scarves...

Seedy
12-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Well, if y'all are looking for a good substitute, Knitpicks' Shine is just as soft...that's what I made my niece's dress from, and it was nice to work with...

Thanks for the tip, KellyK! I actually like MicroSpun... I made a mock-cable scarf and matching hat with it last year and they turned out great. But since I'm now held in thrall to KnitPicks, I'll definitely be ordering some Shine (I just wish it came in black).

feministmama
12-03-2005, 12:54 PM
I made some socks for kids out it (washable, bright colors) and sent it in the mail. we'll see what they have to say about it.

boyforpele13
12-06-2005, 06:08 AM
i crocheted 7 skeins into a poncho and LOVED it from start to finish. i'm terrified to knit with it now!

p.s. funny thing happened on my way out of the forum. ;) saw a pattern link for an i-pod sock made of the microspun done in 2x2 rib and had to try it since i have leftovers. i've done about 6 rows and so far i still love it, although i will say the first row was DEFINITELY a pain and certainly offputting. the CO stitches appear to split into 50 plies. oddly enough, this is the first time i've done ribbing and LIKED it, including the way it looks. i think it's the first time my ribbing has looked like ribbing!

Ronda
12-06-2005, 07:38 AM
I made my son a scarf out of the black Microspun! It was difficult to work with. I had to frog quite a few lines and I got pretty frustrated, but I finished it! I didn't remember it being called Microspun, and I totally forgot this thread when I went to JoAnn's last night to get some fabric for a snowman my friend is making me. Anyway, I stopped and looked at the yarn, and my 7-year-old daughter BEGGED me (even though I have made her 3 scarves so far) to make her a scarf, hat, and mittens with the black Microspun!!! :frog: So now I have more skeins of the stuff!

boyforpele13
12-06-2005, 07:41 AM
ronda, was it on sale by chance? i can't find it on their website. thanks!

feministmama
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
saw a pattern link for an i-pod sock made of the microspun done in 2x2 rib and had to try it since i have leftovers.

AHA! That's what I can do with my leftover Microspun. My sons gramma is getting him an iPod for xmas (shhhhh) so I can make him an iPod sock with his name on it. :cheering:

Ronda
12-06-2005, 01:02 PM
ronda, was it on sale by chance? i can't find it on their website. thanks!

They were having a sale. It seemed like some yarns were at sale price and some were not. I paid $2.49 each for it. I don't see it on the JoAnn website either!?

boyforpele13
12-06-2005, 06:12 PM
excellent, ronda, thanks! i got so excited after trying it out, i want to make that ripple shawl from their website. i'll run down tonight! :)