PDA

View Full Version : My First Date with Karaoke

Ingrid
11-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I couldn't resist trying this Karaoke yarn out. I took the idea from the sample scarf that was posted from the yarn, but in addition to the horseshoe cable down the middle, I added a 4 st cable to each side of it to make it a bit wider and added a seed stitch edge.

I love watching the colors change. :heart:

KristiMetz
11-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Looks fabulous! ooohh... that Noro yarn I have coming in the mail would be pretty in that pattern.

Your avatar is really freaking me out though. :shock:

Jan in CA
11-26-2005, 12:38 AM
Wow! :notworthy: That is just gorgeous! I can't wait till I reach the point where I can just add something easily like that. I've always been one to go off on my own in sewing, crochet or whatever, but I'm finding it hard with knitting...but then I've only been knitting for 2 mos so I guess I need to relax. :roflhard:

Jaxhil
11-26-2005, 12:42 AM
:thumbsup: that is simply *gorgeous* !!!!!!

The yarn is beautiful, and the pattern is so pretty!! I wish I needed more scarves :)

BinkyKat
11-26-2005, 12:46 AM
Wow! What subtle, yet striking color changes! looks airbrushed! and awesome pattern! when i'm a big girl, i wanna make cables... ;)

itscryttle
11-26-2005, 12:49 AM
*drool* that is BEAUTIFUL!!!!

knitqueen
11-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Beautiful! :heart: Is that the same colorway that Rebecca used for clapotis?

BTW, is that a provisional cast on?

rebecca
11-26-2005, 03:01 AM
KQ...yes and yes ;)

Ingrid....is it now your new fave?! loving your cable work...LOL, I want to just grab many skeins of each color and CREATE :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: But, alas, I have done my Karaoke creating for a while, I will next be creating with my loveable WOTA ;) .....then some more SWTC yarn, Phoenix that I've had for months...very nice 100% soysilk tape like yarn..............ahhhh, yarn :inlove:

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Oh Rebecca! The look of this yarn is still my new fave, for sure. I love the changing of the colors without having to do anything about it. And the colors are so rich! I hope your Phoenix doesn't grab me too--I can afford this!!!

KQ-I used the provisional cast on so the ends would match. I'll just bind it off.

And thank you everyone!

ebrperk
11-26-2005, 11:49 AM
That is truly beautiful. I love the yarn. Maybe one day?????

Robin

KnittinKitten
11-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Becka,

What color Phoenix did you get and what are your plans for it? I :heart: Southwest Trading!
:XX:

Vendie
11-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Geesh Ingy I'm running out ways to tell you how beautiful your work is!!!! FANTABULOUS!!

kitkat
11-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Beautiful yarn and a beautiful pattern! Way beyond me at this point :doh: but I will get there!

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks!

I have to say that ALL I want to do today is work with this stuff. It's so cool to be knitting in green and then after a while, I'm knitting in purple. I'm almost done with one skein. I swear that when that's finished I WILL get the laundry started, clean for company tomorrow, etc, etc.

Yeah, right!

I just got an e-mail that the second order I placed for this is in the mail. That gives me a three-day window to do everything in advance. I wish they would just cancel Christmas this year! I spent all my money!

usamacka
11-26-2005, 04:45 PM
GORGEOUS! Such a wonderful place to come for inspiration! Thank you for your perspiration!

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 04:46 PM
GORGEOUS! Such a wonderful place to come for inspiration! Thank you for your perspiration!

No sweat! :roflhard: :roflhard: :rofling:

gimmesanity
11-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Ooooh, Ingy, it's beautiful! That yarn is gorgeous, and your cables totally show it off. It looks painted.

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Making progress!! Still don't want to put it down. :happydance:

knitqueen
11-26-2005, 06:10 PM
OH MY GOSH!!! That yarn is FANTASTIC. :heart: And your work ain't too shabby either!! ;)

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks! :blush:

Mer
11-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Oooh, so pretty!

jodstr2
11-26-2005, 09:16 PM
:inlove: :shock: :inlove: :shock: :inlove:

wow Ingy! WOW!!! I love color and I love the look of cables. most patterns seem to recommend solid colors for cables but YOU have just proven them wrong! your colors and cables are BEAUTIFUL!!! :heart:

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't think I would have cabled if I hadn't see cables done in this yarn. I think that because each section of color is fairly solid, the cables don't get lost.

jodstr2
11-26-2005, 09:43 PM
that is really, really classy. I keep staring at the pics. it just GLOWS :happydance: :heart: :thumbsup: !!!

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 09:55 PM
I found myself going back over and over to look at Rebecca's Clapotis because the colors just struck me as so lovely. It was destiny, I tell ya!

hedgehog
11-26-2005, 10:16 PM
That pattern is absolutely lovely and the yarn divine! :shock: Is it lovely and soft too??

-hh

Ingrid
11-26-2005, 10:47 PM
I have felt softer yarn, but it's not at all wool-prickly. It's soft/smooth, rather than squooshy like other yarns. It has a nice body to it, and a sheen that doesn't really show up in the pictures. I'll block the scarf when I'm done, and I think that will make it relax a bit.

To be honest, if it felt like sandpaper covered with ground glass, I'd still love the way it looks!

Andrea
11-26-2005, 11:00 PM
So happy with your progress, Ingrid. Well done!! :cheering: It is stunning to say the least!!

Carol_OH
11-27-2005, 12:00 AM
:drooling: you're amazing, Ingrid!

Ingrid
11-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks!

dustinac
11-27-2005, 12:07 PM
:inlove: how pretty love the yarn!! :thumbsup: Great job!

countingsheep
11-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Oh! No fair!!!!! I love this!!!

Where the heck did you get this yarn and can I go buy some NOW! :shock: Seriously, I am dressed and ready, car keys in hand! Is this available in stores? Please don't tell me that I have to order it on-line and wait!!! :pray:

I love your cable patterns and continue to be impressed by everything that you do! Not only are you talented... you're seriously kind as well! How cool are you!!!

Ang

Ingrid
11-27-2005, 01:36 PM
:blush: That's me! Kind, cool and in possession of the most beautiful yarn on the block! :roflhard:

I have no idea if this is available in stores. It's South West Trading Company Karaoke, in Mermaid, color 278.

I got it from www.knitpixie.com for my second batch--they were out of this color for this scarf so I got it from www.onefineyarn.com . I'm going to make a sweater with it next.

I got it really fast from onefineyarn, and the knitpixie shipped the next day.

Knitpixie has a better price, plus you get a 10% discount if you sign up for their newsletter. Also, SWTC has an offer for a free pair of needles if you order seven balls, AND I got a free sweater pattern for the Karaoke.

You could call around your local shops and see if they have it. I do most of my yarn buying on line since my 'good' shop is too far to drop in. I must say, though, that I order waaaaay too much because it's so easy to just 'click.'

brookehanna
11-27-2005, 01:38 PM
That is amazing! Karaoke is definately on my wish list! I'm very interested to see how you get the ends to match up in the end.

Beautiful work!

Ingrid
11-27-2005, 01:50 PM
That is amazing! Karaoke is definately on my wish list! I'm very interested to see how you get the ends to match up in the end.

Beautiful work!

I'm a little iffy on that myself. If it's long enough when I get to a purple section, I'll bind off there. If it looks like it'll be too long to wait for a purple section, I may just end it. It goes against my 'things have to balance and be symmetrical' nature, but maybe I'll just throw caution to the wind. :rofling: I'm so daring, aren't I?

Jan in CA
11-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Oh! No fair!!!!! I love this!!!

Where the heck did you get this yarn and can I go buy some NOW! :shock: Seriously, I am dressed and ready, car keys in hand! Is this available in stores? Please don't tell me that I have to order it on-line and wait!!! :pray:

Ang

I found their website (http://www.soysilk.com/). It lists local shops, but I haven't checked it yet.

HeatherFeather
11-27-2005, 02:53 PM
sigh...what a SHAME....at my LYS's....i'll check it out when I'm there next...

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 12:32 AM
IT'S DONE! IT'S DONE! The fastest thing I ever made. I'll post tomorrow. Shhhh. . .he's blocking. ;)

KellyK
11-28-2005, 12:52 AM
:cheering: Cant wait to see it in its full-length GLORY!! :cheering:

DotMom61
11-28-2005, 01:17 AM
Ingrid,

As usual, it's GORGEOUS!!

After seeing Rebecca's Clapotis in this, I started my Mom's shawl (you know, the one w/ the hair-like yarn) over using the 4 skeins of this same yarn. I'm almost through 1 skein of it, and it looks really pretty. The problem is I don't really want to throw away all the hard hours I put in on the original shawl. So, I'm iffy about finishing it in the Karaoke.

Seeing your scarf just makes me want to sing, though. It is *so* pretty ... and it reminds me of something ... I wish I could think of what it is ... When I look at it, I can't get the word "Technicolor" out of my head. :lol:

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 09:03 AM
This yarn is almost hypnotic! I have the scarf laying out on the dining room table to dry, and find myself just stopping to look at the color changes. I already know that I'm addicted to beautiful color yarn as well as knitting, but this is too much.

My daughter said that she'd wear THIS one. I said she won't. :roflhard:

Maybe if I have some left over after the sweater I'll make her one, too. ;)
I should, since I always order too much--you know, 'just in case.'

It was still quite damp this morning, so hopefully I'll get some pics this afternoon. I took some, but didn't have a chance to see what they look like on the screen. I don't think I could top Rebecca's pics of her Clapotis, though. :inlove:

Angelia
11-28-2005, 09:17 AM
My daughter said that she'd wear THIS one. I said she won't.

:roflhard: :roflhard:

I cannot wait to see it!! :inlove:

punkhippiemom
11-28-2005, 12:00 PM
:rofling: <---- me passed out from the sheer beauty of seeing Karaoke everywhere...

Seeing your scarf just makes me want to sing, though. It is *so* pretty ... and it reminds me of something ... I wish I could think of what it is ... When I look at it, I can't get the word "Technicolor" out of my head.
Me too - and I finally figured out what it is (for me, anyway) - it reminds me of the scratch pictures (http://www.crayola.com/popups/lp_bigimage.cfm?img=/images/educators/lessons/427_big.jpg)I did when I was a kid - where you color all over the paper, and then color over it in black, and scratch the black off with a toothpick. Not sure why, but that's what it reminds me of.

VictoiseC
11-28-2005, 12:36 PM
That really reeeeaaallllly is so pretty Ingrid! I love it!
I hadn't really noticed this yarn before but now that I think about it I think it is at my closest yarn shop (2 blocks away).

You know, I never thought to block a scarf. When I've made them I just start wearing them and I suppose I thought a scarf didn't need blocking. Why do you block it? Do you wash in a little soap and then just lay flat or pull it out or press it a little. or what? Curious about blocking coz I never do it. (course I haven't made a sweater except for many years ago which I know should be blocked).

Waiting to see final pic!

rebecca
11-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Becka,

What color Phoenix did you get and what are your plans for it? I :heart: Southwest Trading!

Actually, I didn't buy the Phoenix..Lonnie did :D when we were in Charleston for his bday, I say a basket of it on sale & grabbed all that they had behind my back...he's tricky :inlove: It's the natural color & I am making him the cabled scarf that you see on the 1st page, upper left if u glance thru the pages of Scarf Style here (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=30529#) :thumbsup: I had to make something for him bc of the surprise, but they only had 5 balls, which will be enough for this lovely scarf ;)
I finished my fingerless gloves & the colors are off, I tried & tried, but found it impossible for me to match colors exactly with this yarn. LOL, I have 66 yds (yep, I measured ;) ) of this yarn left...enough to make a cute bag for my new camera :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Now...let me tell ya how much I :heart: LOVE :heart: this yarn, I felted left over pieces together, none was wasted...bc I knew I would find SOMETHING to knit with the left over yarn :thumbsup:
Now...I WANT SOME MORE....in the color "Intensity" :thumbsup: ...but I must wait until I finish many projects before ordering yarn for more ;)
INGRID...THAT SCARF IS SCRUMPDELICIOUS :heart:

KnittinKitten
11-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Ingrid - it MUST be dry by now! Come on .... show! show! show!

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 05:10 PM
I blocked the scarf because the cables were pulling it in and making it narrower than the ends by a lot. The ends are still a bit wider, but not enough to care. I just dunked it in warm water with a tiny, tiny bit of wool wash, rolled it up in a towel, stepped on it, and laid it out on the table on some towels. It relaxed by itself--a warm bath will do that to most of us :rofling: --so I didn't bother to pin it.

I took these last night. It's still damp, so I can't make it do tricks ;) but here it is. I'll miss working on it.

feministmama
11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
OK I'm really brain dead. I though this thread was about singing! :doh: Now that isee thisknockout yarn ....I'm.....just....speechless......

PS yeah punkhippiemum like that crayon thing we did wehn we were kids. That's EXACTLy what its like. WHaddaya call that? :??

feministmama
11-28-2005, 05:13 PM
How many skeins did you use?

KnittinKitten
11-28-2005, 05:16 PM
This doesn't even look real -- it looks like different colored lights are on it. Just beautiful! I love, love love the cables -- these are horseshoe-right? Good job on the photos, too.

rebecca
11-28-2005, 05:21 PM
BEAUTIFUL, INGRID :happydance: :happydance: Gimme your cable pattern, please! :pray: I'm about to do this cable intensive scarf for Lonnie, but I'm gonna have to have a cable in Karaoke :thumbsup: ...In the future, though, bc I just used 9 balls, that's why Im asking for gift cert to kpixie.com for Christmas :cheering: :cheering:
Didn't you just love knitting with that and watching the evolution?! :inlove:
GAWGEOUS DAHLIN', GAWGEOUS

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I think for me it does look like different lights are on it. And the scratch-off paper rang a bell, too.

This scarf took three skeins. I didn't measure it, but it goes from my waist around my neck and back to my waist--that was before blocking. It did get longer.

For the horseshoe cable--it's done on 12 stitches.

On the first six, cable back 3/3. On the next six, cable front 3/3. I did it every eight rows. Looks a lot more complicated than that, doesn't it?

Julie
11-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Wow Ingrid, absolutely stunning! :inlove:

Jan in CA
11-28-2005, 06:48 PM
Wowzers..that is gorgeous! :shock:

ebrperk
11-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Ingrid that is truly beautiful. I just love it.

Robin

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks everybody!!

KellyK
11-28-2005, 08:31 PM
:drool:

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Please don't drool on the merchandise!! :fingerwag:

VictoiseC
11-29-2005, 12:11 PM
super duper Ingrid. I will definitely try blocking some of my stuff more often. to relax it. hmmmm, thinking of a warm bath......

great pix too! that will be attention getting when you wear it! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
11-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Vic. I wanted to wear it today, but it's so warm that I didn't even wear a jacket! Go figure. :rollseyes:

kemp
11-30-2005, 02:11 PM
:heart: :heart: :heart: the scarf and the colors...WOW! I used Karoke recently, but it was a much more subtle colorway. I like that one a lot!

foothills
11-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Ingrid...I am drooling over the yarn and the scarf is just beautiful...I think I must order the yarn...I'd love to tackle your scarf, but since I've not done a cable yet, maybe I should begin with a simple cable scarf after my clog episode :roflhard:

Joyce

jelly
11-30-2005, 03:45 PM
ingrid owes me $60

i just ordered 7 skeins of that for my next clapotis

i will be in the poorhouse, but i will be the most fabulous looking one there

Ingrid
11-30-2005, 03:53 PM
ingrid owes me $60

i just ordered 7 skeins of that for my next clapotis

i will be in the poorhouse, but i will be the most fabulous looking one there

I'll leave the light on for you! :roflhard:

hedgehog
11-30-2005, 04:07 PM
It looks like a prism is refracting onto your knitting! Absolutely gorgeous!

I know that you had said that you had felt softer yarn than this, but did the blocking help that?

It's really lovely, Ingrid... :cheering:
-hh

Ingrid
11-30-2005, 04:48 PM
It feels very smooth and soft. I'm certainly happy with it! It's supposed to get back to normal temps tomorrow, so maybe I'll actually get to wear it. It's almost 60 again today--much too warm for November 30!