PDA

View Full Version : Deaf Knitters

humblestumble
11-27-2005, 11:53 PM
This topic was brought to my attention in the livejournal community I am a part of. There were several people who thought it would be a good idea for the videos to be somewhat captioned. I'm just throwing the idea out here because no one has brought it up yet. I know that Amy is very busy! And I know there are summaries of the videos underneath the icons. This was a topic I never even really thought about, but it is an issue that could be looked into. :thinking:

Whatcha think?

Here's the person's original post:

"Deaf knitters?

Are there any other deaf knitters in this community? I knit, and I am profoundly deaf. I have no problems knitting but with the exception that I wish the knittinghelp.com videos were somehow subtitled or captioned. :( I can get by with watching the demonstration, but it would be nice if I could SEE the instructions come up as the demonstration is playing.

Nevertheless, I still find knitting very fun. I posted an entry here not too long ago, and I mentioned being a new knitter but not new to knitting (knitting for two weeks, had an interest in it for three years). That is why knitting rocks so much! :)

Current Mood: curious"

KristiMetz
11-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Hmmmm. I don't know how subtitling would work (from a technical standpoint), but as a band-aid temporarily, would having a transcript available help maybe?

CateKnits
11-28-2005, 12:16 AM
If a transcript would be at all helpful, I'm sure some of us (I volunteer!) would be happy to transcribe it so Amy wouldn't have to do all the work (though she'd have to put it up somehow).

Jeep_Girl
11-28-2005, 12:29 AM
I don't have sound on my computer at home so the videos don't help me when I am at home because I can't hear what she is saying and if you watch the video without sound - you'll understand. subtitles or transcripts are a great idea for people who can not hear.

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Excellent, excellent idea!!

humblestumble
11-28-2005, 12:35 AM
i think that's a really good idea! And I think the originator of the question would be pleased :)

KellyK
11-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Ill send a msg to Amy so she is sure to catch this thread....

mintdee
11-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Excellent idea :thumbsup: I know that to caption videos it takes special equipment. I don't know if that is the same for on-line videos though... I wouldn't think so. :thinking: Maybe one of our more savvy online friends would know. As for transcripting I would be happy to volunteer as well!

Julie
11-28-2005, 12:14 PM
I would be happy to transcribe too...once upon a time I studied to be an interpreter for the deaf so accessibility issues are near & dear to my :heart: :D

amy
11-28-2005, 04:24 PM
I think this is a VERY good idea. I wish I'd thought of it from the beginning!

:thinking: I'm not sure what it would entail. One issue is whether or not the words would be visible in such a small video format. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Angela, and thanks for the PM Kelly. ;)

Awww, how nice of you all to offer to transcribe! Let me first look into putting captioning in the videos themselves, though, I think that would be better because the actions and words would be in sync, and make more sense that way, especially for the longer videos.

I think it WILL be a lot of work. I'm not promising anything at this point, but I will at least attempt it on one video and see what is involved.

rebecca
11-28-2005, 04:26 PM
That would be extraordinary if it could be done! I'm sure u & Sheldon can figure something out, Amy!! I have complete faith ;)

HeatherFeather
11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
flylady just asked this same question for video's she is doing....

I am sure that you could email her, and you might get some leads..

www.flylady.net

feministmama
11-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Can I just say y'all RAWK!! :cheering:

knitncook
11-28-2005, 04:59 PM
If you do subtitles, make sure that they don't cut out part of the work. Sometimes the audio for the videos don't work for me, but I'm a much more visual than audial learner, so it's not a big deal to me and I have a bunch of years worth of knitting experience. Sometimes my brain just doesn't always engage :roflhard:

humblestumble
11-28-2005, 06:54 PM
You're welcome Amy! I thought it was a great idea and I wasnt going to wait for that soul to post it, and figured I could post it. I think it's a great idea, not just for the hearing impaired, but for people at work or up late at night... :blush:

Sara
11-28-2005, 10:15 PM
In the meantime, you could offer a printed transcript of the videos in the same way that you sell cds.

dustinac
11-29-2005, 10:51 AM
what a great idea!! :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Aim, could we do a written transcript of the video, type in in rich text format, and have it available to download from the site? I'm picturing a list of directions, maybe with the video counter minutes/seconds listed next to them, so people could point the video directly to the spot that says "Insert through the back loop" or whatever.

Another thought I had was to take the videos and reduce them to still photographs, with directions.