PDA

View Full Version : No! No! No!

brightspot
11-28-2005, 12:43 AM
I just found out today that our only LYS is going out of business!!! :verysad: (We need an emoticon with tears) This is the only LYS in at least a 1 hour drive. They are so rare up here that people come from Spokane (an hour away) in groups to our little store. The problem is that they have some things that you can't find in other stores around here. I am going to have to start buying my stuff online and paying shipping. :verysad: :verysad: :verysad:

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 12:44 AM
:crying:

I'm sorry for your loss.

Maybe they'll have a big sale?

brightspot
11-28-2005, 12:49 AM
My dad saw the ad in the paper today 20 - 75% off. Needless to say I am heading there first thing tomorrow. I wanted to make the socks with the 0000 dpns which I will be unable to find in another store. Even the one that is closing is over 35 minutes away. I have been saying for 2 years that if I had any money I would make a knitting store here. I would love it. My hubby even increased his life insurance so that if anything happened to him I could start one and not have to go out to work.

Ingrid
11-28-2005, 12:57 AM
:shifty: I hope you have a good relationship with your hubby! :rofling:

KellyK
11-28-2005, 12:58 AM
SO SAAAAD!!!! :crying:

Well, enjoy that sale while ya can!

brendajos
11-28-2005, 01:25 AM
My hubby even increased his life insurance so that if anything happened to him I could start one and not have to go out to work.

aww how sweet is that!

i am sorry about the store closing...do hope you can get some wonderful deals out of it at least!

foldedbird
11-28-2005, 01:35 AM
If we read in the paper that hubby has an "unexpected accident" we'll know why... wait, who are you and why are you talking to me? I'm NOT involved!

BUT I GET A DISCOUNT, RIGHT?

brightspot
11-28-2005, 01:39 AM
:angelgrin:

foldedbird
11-28-2005, 01:50 AM
hehe! That is a mighty sweet hubby you have there! Keep him around, eh? Mebbe he'll add a bit more to the policy for a bakery & coffee shop to add on to your yarn store!

brightspot
11-28-2005, 05:06 AM
Hmmm. Good idea. Of course we would go broke trying to pay the premiums :D

foldedbird
11-28-2005, 05:42 AM
Well, you can't have your latte and drink it too!

KellyK
11-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Well, you can't have your latte and drink it too!

WHY THE HECK NOT???? I never understood the origins of this kind of statement. I OFTEN have cake AND eat it too! In fact, its WASTEFUL not to! That's just SILLY. :??

:shifty:

foldedbird
11-28-2005, 09:34 AM
what have you DONE to that poor dog???

foldedbird
11-28-2005, 09:34 AM
I always drink my lattes, even if I feel a littttle jittery after...

Ronda
11-28-2005, 09:52 AM
I feel your pain. I felt the same way when my local cross stitch store went out of business. Nothing has ever compared to that store! What a bummer for you.

brightspot
11-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Foldedbird, I wanted to ask the same thing about the poor dog. Ingred, where did you get such a thing?

rebecca
11-28-2005, 12:44 PM
sorry about your LYS loss :(! We have 2 1/2 (one has very few knitting supplies) here & I still do most of my shopping online...so www shopping WORKS....and....ROCKS!! It sure is fun to look for goodies from delivery people :D I love getting yummies in the mail :cheering: :cheering: I'm already expecting yarn from knitpicks (had to get yarn to make fingerless gloves to go with Branching Out & hat (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000447.jpg)) AND the wonderful addi's that Lonnie surprised me by ordering them on Thanksgiving :cheering: :cheering: See, shopping on the net is FUN :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Jan in CA
11-28-2005, 01:35 PM
That's a bummer! I live in southern California and you'd think there'd be one on every corner next to Starbucks, but noooooooo... There are only two that I know of. :??

Anyhoo..someplaces like Knit Picks give you free shipping if you spend over a certain amount. I just got an order with free shipping and no tax, plus they have great prices so I'm actually spending less than if I go to the LYS!

feministmama
11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Maybe we should put together a collection (pass the hat) so you can buy the store! :cheering:

amy
11-28-2005, 04:49 PM
So sad for you Brightspot! :( I can't believe the only yarn shop in the whole area is closing! :?? My understanding is that, with the latest craze in knitting, new stores are popping up in most places, not shutting down! How bizarre!

But perhaps once you get used to ordering online, you'll enjoy the selection (and usually better prices! :shifty:). My favorite places to order from are: knitpicks.com (click on our ad on the forum to give knittinghelp a kickback when ordering), and www.yarn.com (soon to be advertising with us too! They offer 20% off when you spend $60 on yarn!).

If you're someone who must see and touch before buying, Knitpicks offers sample color cards of most of their yarns now, for a reasonable cost.

brightspot
11-29-2005, 04:17 AM
The only problem is that if I spent $60 we wouldn't eat :D and with 2 teenagers I don't think that's an option (bummer). Oh, I did pick up the self striping yarn at the LYS for the November challenge. (ok, so I'm a month behind) I also got the 0000 dpns to try the impossible socks. Even at 30% off most of the yarn prices were still too high for me. I can't afford to buy $20 of yarn just to try to felt a small purse. I can't find wool yarn anywhere else around here either. Maybe I will try online for that. What is the best and inexpensive brand to try felting with?

Ingrid
11-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Knitpicks Wool of the Andes!! Use the link on this site and you help Amy out, too. Free shipping over $30, too.

brightspot
11-29-2005, 10:36 AM
I just checked it out and that is an absolutely amazing price. Maybe that's why the shop is going out of business. A skein of, I think, 186 yards was $10. Knitpicks was 1.79 for 110 yards. I may like shopping online afterall. :cheering: Can I use this to make the booga bag in the free pattern list? Also, do you know about how much their shipping is? I couldn't find a link that would tell me. If it isn't much I may order it this afternoon (before I'm broke again :D ) You know how it is. If you have money bills that need paying start coming out of the woodwork.

brendajos
11-29-2005, 10:43 AM
you can put all your stuff in the cart to see what the shipping is. i can't recall if there is a chart but i believe there is.

Norman
11-29-2005, 11:15 AM
(We need an emoticon with tears)

Uggh just saw this thread.. I uysually have lots of smilies as I have an archive, but.. this is the best I could find right now as my archive seems to have gotten corrupted :)

Andrea
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I just checked it out and that is an absolutely amazing price. Maybe that's why the shop is going out of business. A skein of, I think, 186 yards was $10. Knitpicks was 1.79 for 110 yards. I may like shopping online afterall. :cheering: Can I use this to make the booga bag in the free pattern list? Also, do you know about how much their shipping is? I couldn't find a link that would tell me. If it isn't much I may order it this afternoon (before I'm broke again :D ) You know how it is. If you have money bills that need paying start coming out of the woodwork.

Yes, you CAN make that Booga Bag---now what are you doing here still, go ORDER!! :D

There's tears on this one----> :crying:

Norman
11-29-2005, 11:21 AM
*heh* Well there ya go.. my eyes aren't what they used to be :) *laughs*

Jan in CA
11-29-2005, 02:32 PM
(We need an emoticon with tears)

Uggh just saw this thread.. I uysually have lots of smilies as I have an archive, but.. this is the best I could find right now as my archive seems to have gotten corrupted :)

Here's a few good ones! Amy can put one or all in the emoticons if she wants. I got them from best smileys and they are free to use so I would think they'd be fine here.
http://bestsmileys.com/crying/8.gif http://bestsmileys.com/crying/3.gif http://bestsmileys.com/crying/12.gif

brightspot
11-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Jan, I love the little yellow guy. He's very cute.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-29-2005, 08:22 PM
mmmm knitpicks... i haven't gotten anything from them in at LEAST 2 weeks... :drooling:

brightspot
11-30-2005, 03:56 AM
OK I've done it. I placed an order at Knitpicks. I ordered the chocolate and the blue bonnet wool to make a booga bag (does anyone know if that name has a story?) The shipping wasn't too bad I got 3 skeins and the order was about $8. Less than 1/2 what I would have paid at the LYS. Now I just have to finish my hat, 3 pairs of socks, and mother's shawl so that I can start playing when my order gets here :D And NO I am not tired!!!! So what if I just tried to place my order using my driver's license instead of my debit card :angelgrin: Ok, Ok, I am exhausted. I am going to bed. Good night, All.