PDA

View Full Version : YAY!!! Neat, even ribbing at last!

nicolethegeek
11-29-2005, 04:00 PM
Well I just had to toot my own horn! I cast on the stitches for a pair of socks for my DH for Christmas, and tried the "backwards" purling trick off of Nona's blog {thank you to whoever it was that posted that trick and the link!!!}. I've been plugging away at it for about 2 hours now, and have about an inch of my ribbing done and it looks FABULOUS!!! It took me a little bit to get used to purling differently, but well worth the effort. No more sloppy, loopy, lop-sided knit stitches at all. :thumbsup: It looks STORE BOUGHT neat...

As an added bonus, the striping in the yarn wasn't coming out very pleasing and I was going to frog it and start over with smaller needles and more stitches. After going the inch, the pattern is slowly twisting around, so hopefully it won't be too bad when it's done.

:happydance: :cheering: :XX: :happydance: :cheering: :XX:

Jan in CA
11-29-2005, 04:07 PM
Cool! Do you have a link to that blog?

nicolethegeek
11-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Cool! Do you have a link to that blog?

Sure do! http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2004/12/a_bit_of_braggi.html

I need to take a picture of this and put it up on my blog too... I went to do a review of my Knit.1 mag today and realized that I haven't posted to my blog in nearly 2 weeks! <screams> :shock:

knitncook
11-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Is the whole sock ribbed? I made a sock using self patterning yarn and the entire sock was ribbed. I hated it until I got to the foot where it wasn't ribbed and the pattern emerged. I didn't bother making the mate. I had enough to make another pair of socks w/o ribbing. Stripes do pretty well with ribbing, but for some reason patterns turn funky on me when I try to rib them. Oh and the sock doesn't go to waste. I can't sleep with covers or socks on my left foot, so it is my sleeping sock.

rebecca
11-29-2005, 06:49 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: YAY for you :cheering: :cheering:

nicolethegeek
11-29-2005, 07:27 PM
Is the whole sock ribbed?

Actually, the pattern I'm using is. Well, the way I'm combining two patterns! I've combined the instructions from a Kroy pattern and a Bernat pattern I have. I did a k1, p1 rib for 16 rows. I then switched to a k3, p1 rib, and will be doing that for another 5 inches before doing the heel. I am doing the sock in Bernat Sox Army Hot, and the patterning still isn't turning out as pleasing as I had hoped. I'll continue knitting on it tomorrow, and if I still don't like it, I'll frog it and start over. Right now the green shades and black/brown shades are meeting and it's making a sort of green and brown spiral around the sock. I just came back from my LYS and she doesn't have any 2.75 mm dpns right now, so I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I'm using 3.25 mm ones for this sock and hoped that the needle size change would help "fix" my spirals.

boyforpele13
11-29-2005, 07:44 PM
okay, here's a dumb question. i started some basic socks and my ribbing *looks* even but when i get to my stockinette, the knit stitches are like half the size of the row of knits above it... does that make sense? is this normal?

nicolethegeek
11-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Well I'm the last person on earth to be asking about ANYTHING normal!!! :roflhard: That being said, that's how my socks turn out too, I think mebbe it has something to do with the overall effect of the ribbing. Can someone else hop in here with a more explanatory answer? :thinking: :??

Phretys
11-29-2005, 09:56 PM
I love Nona's blog as a source of so many clever tricks (like the recent I-cord glove fingers with the "ladders" knitted up later), but this is one I missed. What an awesome knitting tip! Thanks for passing it on.

~Debi~

nicolethegeek
11-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Well I frogged what I did yesterday. All 3 inches of it :frog: Even though the ribbing looked gorgeous, *AND* my LYS owner was quite impressed :D and had me demonstrate the purl trick to her... not as easy as it seems when you knit wonky like I do, and with cold fingers to boot! The spiralling colours on the sock really REALLY bothered me, so I took some pics and then frogged it. I'll be able to post pics as soon as I find my transfer cable... the kids put it in a safe place. :rollseyes:

I wasn't able to get the 2.75mm dpns that I had hoped to be able to redo this sock in, so I cast on the stitches for my 3yo DS instead. The stripes are a lot more random this time around, but still not exactly what I had hoped for. :( I'll admit that this is much better looking, and I won't be frogging them this time. I'll have to take a pic once I've got the frogged yarn used up and post that one as well once the cord is found!

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Okay, now I am really scared. Don't you always wrap the yarn clockwise on the purl? You can't possibly tell me that I have been purling wrong for years and on all my projects? That can't be because then my stitches would be twisted right? I'm going to watch videos.

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Nevermind. I am an idiot. And I purl just fine. OY!

nicolethegeek
12-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Well here's a pic of the sock before I frogged it. You can see how the colour spiralled. Hopefully you can see how the ribbing turned out nice and neat... too bad the striping didn't! :D

brightspot
12-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Congrats! :cheering: You did a wonderful job.

nicolethegeek
12-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Congrats! :cheering: You did a wonderful job.
Thanks! I'm pretty proud of myself, which is why I posted in the first place! I'm nearly finished the sock for my 3 year old, and will probably post that on Monday. My DH still has no clue about the socks! ;) Now if only the kids could find my second set of 2.75 mm dpns. I bought 2 sets on Friday morning so that I could cast on hubby's sock, and the kids put one of the sets in a safe place. I'm not really in the mood to work with only 3 needles, so I REALLY need that other package. :crying:

brightspot
12-03-2005, 02:50 PM
My daughter keeps giving me her brother's gifts to "put in a safe place" and I lose them every time. I mean how easy is it to find a fishing lure in a stuffed closet? I knew it was there somewhere. She is just going to have to buy him larger presents! :D

knitqueen
12-10-2005, 06:42 PM
A question about this way of doing ribbing......so I'm going along (in the round) and the first round of K1P1 ribbing I did it the way she describes, on the purl stitches wrapping the yarn the opposite way from usual. So when I got to the second round, I wasn't sure what to do. Now the purl stitches are twisted, so I'm thinking I need to purl these stitches through the back loop to untwist them, as she says in the blog, but do I wrap the yarn the usual way on this round, or will I ALWAYS wrap it the opposite way until I complete my ribbing?? To me, the ribbing doing it this way doesn't look all that different than usual and I wonder if I'm still missing something :thinking: .

nicolethegeek
12-11-2005, 11:08 AM
The way I've been doing it is to ALWAYS wrap my yarn backwards. After the first round of "backwards" purls, you will be purling {or knitting} in the back loop to untwist it.

I'll be finishing off the pair of socks for my 3yo DS today or tomorrow and I hope to post a picture then. BTW: Anyone know what I can use to make a good insert for photographing socks? These are Christmas presents, and I'd like to take pics before.