PDA

View Full Version : Book question

sunnyreflections
11-29-2005, 08:25 PM
For those of you that have it, would you reccomend "Stitch N' Bitch"? There is a pattern in it that I really want to knit for my mother in law, but I am sure there are others too I would like. Do you like the book? Worth the $$$?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-29-2005, 11:16 PM
I LOVE stitch and bitch. It was my bible when I was learing to knit before i discovered KH. I was dissapointed that a lot of the patterns weren't written for big boobied women, but once I learned how to convert/change it wasn't a big deal. I used it more for the "how the hell do I do this" than the patterns anyway.

I WOULD recommend that you check out the website for pattern corrections; there are a LOT of mistakes in the book, especially the earlier editions.

carollovesyarn
11-30-2005, 01:41 AM
I learned how to knit using this book. But I've only made one project. I want to make at least two more, but it is bit youthful for me. If you go here (https://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=30449#)you can see some inside pages.

Carol

VickiIL
11-30-2005, 10:01 AM
This was the book I learned to knit with. Her explanations are so clear. And the second book Stitch N Bitch Nation is fabulous for explaining how a pattern is made and how to adjust a pattern for size or change a neck line, add a hood, etc.

Most of the patterns are not something I would make, but the book is well worth is as a reference .

hedgehog
11-30-2005, 10:03 AM
I LOVE stitch and bitch. It was my bible when I was learing to knit before i discovered KH. I was dissapointed that a lot of the patterns weren't written for big boobied women, but once I learned how to convert/change it wasn't a big deal. I used it more for the "how the hell do I do this" than the patterns anyway.

Ditto, ditto, ditto. I haven't made a pattern from it yet, but i love the explanations. Someday i'll make "Skully".... :heart: that pattern.

-hh

Norman
11-30-2005, 10:25 AM
I've actually been looking at that book.. was wondering the same thing..

I assume most of the patterns are for women, which is cool.. cuase I got's women to knit for in my life.. :)

I've found it kinda hard to find mens patterns sometimes.. :) Thankfully scarves and hats are unixsex.. :) Phew.. :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
11-30-2005, 11:08 AM
actually, there are some men's patterns in both of the books. Scarves and hats, mostly, which is sort of cheating, but there is 1 sweater in each book for men. I'm pretty sure anyway... :shifty:

rebecca
11-30-2005, 11:08 AM
I, too, used it as one of my learning to knit books (main one was "knitting for dummies") and I have made a few of the projects...fyi, I bought one for a gift earlier this year @ knitpicks for less than $10, you could also check amazon & overstock ;)

Norman
11-30-2005, 11:28 AM
I think Amazon was selling it for like 11.84 or some such price.. I've not checked Overstock..

I had 4 books on my Amazon wishlist..and two are gone.. :) so I'm thinking I'm going to be getting some books for Xmas :) Yeah.. and one of them was the Mens knitting/sweater book.. can't remember the name of it.. so I'll be buuuuusy this year :)

VickiIL
11-30-2005, 11:41 AM
I assume most of the patterns are for women, which is cool.. cuase I got's women to knit for in my life.. :)

:D

Actually they have a number of patterns for men.

Norman
11-30-2005, 11:47 AM
Hrmmm I might have to spend some money at amazon today :D

Carol_OH
11-30-2005, 01:02 PM
count me in as another lover of S&B - the second one I don't like as much, but the first one is WONDERFUL and as some of you above have said, a bible of sorts!

Holly
11-30-2005, 02:10 PM
:thumbsup: Count me in also as a SnB fan! She has the best explanations. SnB was where I learned that purl stitches look like they are wearing a noose, and knit stitches are wearing a scarf!! :D I use the first book more than the second, and I've yet to do a project from the book. I love her sense of humor -- the book is a fun read. Holly

Holly
11-30-2005, 02:12 PM
:thumbsup: Count me in also as a SnB fan! She has the best explanations. SnB was where I learned that purl stitches look like they are wearing a noose, and knit stitches are wearing a scarf!! :D I use the first book more than the second, and I've yet to do a project from the book. I love her sense of humor -- the book is a fun read. Holly

humblestumble
11-30-2005, 02:15 PM
I have both books and like about half the patterns in each. Good instructions, but sometimes I have to come here because they aren't always THAT clear. Like intarsia, and kitchener stitch I had to come here and watch the vids...

newbieknit
11-30-2005, 10:55 PM
I learned to knit by reading Stitch'n Bitch. It was sooo easy for me to understand! I am hoping to acquire the Stitch'N Bitch Nation book in the near future.