PDA

View Full Version : OT: Magazines

Norman
11-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Hello all you savy knitters out there..

I gotta question.. we recently got a free month subscription to Interweave Knits magazine.. and I wasn't all that impressed with some of the patterns in there..

So here's my question for you .. what magazines do you all subscribe to.. once that are beneficial..

The interweave one 99% of the patterns my wife, daughter and I all said: "I'd never wear that" .. Same thing with my wifes Crochet version..

I'm looking to subscribe to a mag that will give me good and usable patterns that I can keep around.

I think I found 2 I would do in the latest Interweave mag..

Let me know what you think.. :) Thanks

Dave

brendajos
11-30-2005, 11:47 AM
i have only found one pattern in interweave that i loved enough to make me want to buy it. i don't have much of an interest in doing clothes at this point and i really like my projects to be easy enough that i can do them on the fly and i don't get that feeling from Interweave. I think Family Circle's Easy Knitting is probably a pretty good one.

nicolethegeek
11-30-2005, 11:57 AM
You are going to get dozens of differing opinions on this for sure, as everyone has different tastes and such. <insert shameless plug here> I try to post reviews of all my magazines and such on my review blog: http://nicolethegeeksreviews.blogspot.com/

I have been buying FCEK for about 5-6 years faithfully as it has crochet patterns in it, and I wanted so bad to learn to knit. I have recently been buying Creative Knitting and so far so good with it, haven't really developed an opinion persay on it. Vogue Knitting has a few more challenging patterns in it, but some of the clothing patterns are definitely "out there". InKnitters seems to be more technical, and while the patterns are more classic styles of clothing, some are still too wonky for me. Knit.1 is a great one for the young set. I usually find one or 2 patterns in there that will look nice in more subdued colours or such. Knit It is luckily a yearly thing... not sure if I would buy this one on a regular basis, but it's a neat one to have around. The only knitting magazine I have that seems to regularly have crochet patterns in it as well {other than FCEK} is Knit.1

HTH,

Norman
11-30-2005, 12:03 PM
I know this is one of those touchy subjects like.. "Which interchangeables are best"

Everyone has thier opnion.. but I'm interested in the opnions so I can go out and check out differenet mags to see which I like best at B/N .. possibly..

Yeah that's whatI got with Interweave.. it's like the designers just wanna show thier stuff off.. but I want something functional.. I will definately check out the blog . :)

brightspot
11-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Someone needs to start a real people magazine for the more mature knitter (mature age and body shape, not experince)

Emeraldcutie
11-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I personally subscribe to family circle knitting, it only comes out about 4 times a year. But I have ones from several years ago I still knit patterns from.
The instructions are clear, consise and fun.
Also the yarn used is usually very findable.
Heres a link to the magazine.

www.fceasyknitting.com

There is also a free peek at the upcoming magazines.

Norman
11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
Yeah I'm going to peak at this one when I hit B/N this afternoon to see what it's like.. that's the one I think I'll probably go with.. too bad it doesn't come out more often :( I like have a monthly mag :)

VickiIL
11-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Another vote for Family Circle Easy Knitting. I haven't seen too many patterns in the Vogue that I would knit and even less in Interweave. Knit it has some good patterns but FCEK is the only one I like enought to subscribe to.

brightspot
11-30-2005, 01:19 PM
How much is the subscription? I couldn't find the price without signing up.

Norman
11-30-2005, 01:21 PM
For FCEK it was 4 issues 17.97 per year

For Creative Knitting it was 6 issues + a free issue for 19.97 / year

I'm sure there are shipping costs too :)

nicolethegeek
11-30-2005, 01:27 PM
How much is the subscription? I couldn't find the price without signing up.

The subscription card in my issue says 4 issues for $25... but that's for Canadian subscriptions... payable in US funds of course. :wall: Checking inside the mag it says $17.97 US.

humblestumble
11-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I have a 2 yr subscription to Creative Knitting... I like a lot of the patterns in all my issues - simple, but fun for everyone, in my opinion. I also plan on getting a subscription to Knit 1 Mag by Vogue, but I know not everyone likes that one. I happen to like a few things in each issue and it's cheap to get a subscription right now.

I just got a free issue of Interweave Knits, and I wasn't impressed either. It was thick, yea, but not exciting to me. I like Vogue too, but there's a lot of difficult looking stuff in there.

Norman
11-30-2005, 03:19 PM
I just got a free issue of Interweave Knits, and I wasn't impressed either.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.. yeah there were a cople things I wanted ot try.. but the majority I didn't.

I picked up the Holiday 2005 FCEK just for giggles.. we'll see if we want to subscribe to that one :)

Vendie
11-30-2005, 04:07 PM
I guess I'll be the lone dissenter - I :heart: Interweave Knits, just subscribed to it not too long ago. I've actually found more in IK that I'd knit than in other mags. But then again, my tastes are often unconventional.

Norman
11-30-2005, 04:26 PM
I also lik ethe fact that in FCEK they have crochet stuff too.. my wife crochets.. and I knit.. we may even exchange one of these days.. but I Really have no interest in crochet :)

brightspot
11-30-2005, 04:55 PM
I am doing a scarf craft class at church in December so I made a plain knitted and a chrocheted scarf. The crocheting makes my hands hurt, but the scarf was prettier. I didn't like the Interweave mag either. The patterns seemed to be more for younger girls.

liznwillow
11-30-2005, 05:06 PM
I personally love Vogue knitting... although I can't knit half the stuff that is in there! Realllly beautiful patterns though.

humblestumble
11-30-2005, 05:53 PM
I also lik ethe fact that in FCEK they have crochet stuff too.. my wife crochets.. and I knit.. we may even exchange one of these days.. but I Really have no interest in crochet :)

Yeah, I have FCEK too, and I like the stuff in there. I havent subscribed, but it is hard to find around here, so maybe it flies off the shelves.

humblestumble
11-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I personally love Vogue knitting... although I can't knit half the stuff that is in there! Realllly beautiful patterns though.

Yea, a lot of the patterns intimidate me, but I'd love a subscription to it.

Emeraldcutie
12-01-2005, 09:20 AM
This is also another fav of mine http://www.knittinguniverse.com/flash/universe.php
I have all they're magazines, I like that everyone also has a new technique to try, and every year they have a kids knit one that features patterns just for kids, so either you can make them, or the young knitter in your family can. There is a ton of hints and tips also.

CarmenIbanez
12-01-2005, 02:52 PM
I personally have knit so many things from Better Homes and Gardens "Knit It!". I also like Vogue Knitting. But Knit It only comes out once or twice a year I think. Also: if you sign up at Lionbrand.com, they send out pamphlets three or four times a year that contain patterns as well. Of course they are patterns for lion brand yarn. But you can substitute.

Norman
12-01-2005, 03:42 PM
We did end up subscribing to FCEK.. I really did like the Holiday 2005 issue I picked up yesterday.. my wife and I both found things we'd do.,.

And there is a SOCK tutorial in there... I cna keep in my bag :)

tigger0229
12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
I've bought the FCEK (and really want to have a subscription) and InKnitters or something like that. I love the FCEK stuff best.

rebecca
12-01-2005, 04:56 PM
You are not alone, Fibergirl...I :heart: Interweave Knits...the latest issue has a bag (think Mary Poppins) that I HAVE TO KNIT!! I also love, love, love Vogue Knitting, these will have to be my 2 faves, Vogue #1, IK, #2. I also have several issues of Creative Knitting and I've knit several of the patterns. I have a friend published in Family Circle :D ...great mag. But, alas, nothing beats Vogue & Interweave...JMHO ;)