PDA

View Full Version : Takumi Bamboo needles

tigger0229
11-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have Takumi Bamboo needles? if so how are they?

brendajos
11-30-2005, 03:44 PM
aren't the Takumi the same as Clover? for some reason i thought they were. if they are that is all i ever knitted with when i started and i loved them.

love the slippery metal better now but still like the bamboo when i have to get them out!

i have several bamboo DPNs that i like....one is clover and one is another brand that ican't recall right at the moment. i do like the other brand a bit better but it is just about the feel of the finish itself not the way it works.

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2005, 03:48 PM
I love bamboo needles and I have several pairs of takumi. I choose my needles based mostly on the project and the yarn I am using. Like all knit-a-holics, I have a gazillion pairs of needles. But I digress. I love bamboo needles and have been very pleased with my Takumis.

koolbreeze
11-30-2005, 03:48 PM
yeah Takumi is the same as Clover. i like tem. i also like ChiaoGoo. which is what all my DPNs are. Crystal Palace also have some good DPNs. they were my first bamboo and i fell in love with bamboo!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Jan in CA
11-30-2005, 04:15 PM
I love my Clover bamboo needles!

nicolethegeek
11-30-2005, 04:21 PM
:crying: The only 2.75mm dpns I could have bought last night at my LYS were bamboo... I want to try them soooo bad. But my house + kids + DH = no bamboo ANYTHING for a few years... :(

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm not sure I understand the dilemma? Bamboo needles are very rugged. You don't have to worry about them getting ruined. EXCEPT maybe by dogs. Don't ask why I would say that. :thinking:

tigger0229
11-30-2005, 04:41 PM
GREAT. thanks ya'll.
I thought this would be a good pressie for my dh to give me for christmas.
http://www.herrschners.com/products/sku-713600__id-3479__tab-.html

koolbreeze
11-30-2005, 05:15 PM
yes..good present!! :thumbsup:

Nicole~ i'm with Carmen. i don't understand why you can't get them? :??

tigger0229
11-30-2005, 05:25 PM
yeah carmell, now i'll order and he can wrap and pat himself on the back. hehehehe. he hates shopping. I really don't mind doing.

nicolethegeek
11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Nicole~ i'm with Carmen. i don't understand why you can't get them? :??

Will they survive being stepped on, vacuumed up {or an attempt to], being used as a baseball bat, substitute for crutches... or any other multitude of woes? If not, I can't get 'em. Guaranteed anything that's remotely breakable WILL be broken within days of entering this house. :crying: Gotta wait till my Dennis the Menace is a bit older... say 30!!! :roflhard:

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2005, 05:28 PM
You know my husband and I have been married a long time. We buy gift for ourselves. I am just as happy buying myself some knitting things, that he'd never be able to pick out on his own anyway. We go shopping together for our anniversary and pick out a big joint gift for each other. It's just easier that way! They just want us to be happy, so why not?

tigger0229
11-30-2005, 05:38 PM
carmen, how long have you been married? we are going on 33 years in Aug 06. :heart:
It does help, as we get what we want and there's no returns' line to stand in! LOL.

CarmenIbanez
11-30-2005, 05:52 PM
15. Life is much simpler when you realize that the fact that your husband doesn't know what to buy for your is NOT an indication of how much he loves you! Some people just are not good at choosing gifts.

koolbreeze
11-30-2005, 08:51 PM
yeah my husband was bad from day one! he got me a Precious Moment today for my B-day... not that i mind its just not what i asked him for... gift cert. are the best presents anyone can get me... but i asked for Paula Dean's new cookbook... i mentioned it to mom today so maybe i'll get it from her for Christmas.

Nicole~ WOW! how old is your son? i had to tell my kids all the time not to touch my stuff. if they want to tear up their own stuff fine but you better leave my stuff alone or we will have major issues. then somebody will prolly call child services on me after i get done whoopin 'em! so my kids don't mess with my stuff..every now and then they relapse and something comes up missin. but seriously, gurl put your stuff especailly stuff you want to keep up and away fro little hands that like to mingle into others peoples propety!!!! you know what worked for my son when he was small...thumpin' his little fingers!!

knitncook
11-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I :heart: *love* :heart: my bamboo needles, especially for sock knitting! I love how they warm in your hands and aren't freezing when you first pick them up. I love how the oils in your hands and from the wool darkens them over time. I love how the feel as they knit up your work. I love how they are not metal or plastic. So natural and soft. I have several pair of various brands of bamboo needles. Crystal Palace, Clover, some others. I have found knitpicks has the best regular prices on them, but with a 40% or 50% off from JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby you can pick them up rather cheaply. Hobby Lobby has 50% off sales on all knitting notions at least every 6 weeks. YOu have to get there the first day for a good selection of needles, but they at least carry the Clover ones even if they don't carry all the sizes or all the varieties.

InterNette
11-30-2005, 09:26 PM
I hope you get Paula Deens cookbook, it is wonderful. i got mine at costco for a fantastic price of 14.00. She is so endearing, I love watching her on tv. I make her crab stew and her tomatoe pie all the time. I made Martha Stewarts tomatoe pie and the damn thing had to be thrown in the disposal, it was disgusting, I dont know how she herself could digest that crap she pawn off as food, but Paulas is great and I can eat the whole thing myself without a twinge of guilt.
Happy Birthday to you. :thumbsup:

brendajos
11-30-2005, 09:34 PM
one of my friends and i are mostly just in love with her son's! :devil:

koolbreeze
11-30-2005, 10:25 PM
one of my friends and i are mostly just in love with her son's! :devil:

aren;t they FINE!!! i watched them for the thanksgiving show and was wondering how i could get one over to my house!!!!

yeah Martha's food is not very appitising.

BinkyKat
11-30-2005, 11:05 PM
The majority of my bamboos are Takumi/Clover. Love 'em!!
:heart: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :heart: :inlove: :heart:

tigger0229
12-01-2005, 09:39 AM
thanks for the responses!! i'll be putting my order in later.

nicolethegeek
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Nicole~ WOW! how old is your son?

Which one? I have three! ;) The only one living here ATM is my 3 year old. His current nick name is Dennis the Menace. We've tried renting him out to nanny agencies for training purposes. If they can survive him for 2 hours, they can make it through anything. We've thought about getting him a job as those factories that make child proof items. If it takes him more than 15 minutes to figure it out, you've got a winner on your hands!

I do have most {some!} of my stuff up and away, but "don't touch" and unbreakables mostly are the way to go in this house. He can get stuff out of cupboards that I can't reach without a stepladder. I mistakenly gave him the nickname "monkey" when he was very small, and he's completely lived up to the name. One of his adventures was baby-sitting one of my fish... we have bettas so they are all in separate tanks throughout the house. He used a broom to unhook my bedroom door, and fed the poor thing an entire can of fish food. That's just ONE of his "helpful" moments... I could fill a book or three with them. He gets his fair share of hand {and bottom} smacks, but there's only so much you can do when they're this young.

In the meantime I will continue knitting and crocheting with my metal needles and hooks... and when he pulls the needle out of my sock for the umpteenth time, I will simply ask him where he put it and he'll go fish it out of the back of the couch for me. Not much else I can do 'cept grin and bear it! :shock:

koolbreeze
12-01-2005, 11:17 AM
oh gurl 3 boys!! :shock: i remember when i wanted all boys...i am so glad i only got 1!!!! i don't know what i would have done with 4! pray ...hard!!! hopefully he'ss settle down soon!

Vendie
12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand the dilemma? Bamboo needles are very rugged. You don't have to worry about them getting ruined. EXCEPT maybe by dogs. Don't ask why I would say that. :thinking:

I've snapped a pair (small size) in half once, and had a dog or cat break another one by chewing on it. But I keep buying them!

Arugula
12-01-2005, 07:59 PM
My boys have taken the bamboo needles out umpteen times. I only have size 10 and 8 dpn's and they haven't done a bit of damage to them though they have bent some metal 10.5 straights.

InterNette
12-04-2005, 09:57 PM
my one cat prefers bamboo, I am missing 2 already and all mine is easy to tell from someone else's in a class, mine have teeth marks on all the ends. I love em, with mohair i find I do better with slipper metal ones, but I tend to reach for my bamboo for almost all projects, now If I wpuld just take inventory to prevent me from double buying some sizes I would be good.