PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Leaves Scarf, Hat & Fingerless Gloves

rebecca
12-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Quite some time ago I put the finishing touches on the fingerless gloves that match my clappie (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000530.jpg) and hat (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000507.jpg) and have taken new photos of all, but must load the software for my new camera so I can post photos.
I cast on for the 'Backyard Leaves' scarf from the book Scarf Style using WOTA in fern and size 7 addi's Nov 30 and finished the 1st half yesterday. I found that my scarf was going to be more narrow than I would like, but I didn't like the stitch definition with larger needles, so I decided to do 17 repeats instead of the required 11 for the pattern. I began the 2nd half today & should have it completed in a few days. I have photos...but will post in a day or 2 after the afore mentioned software is installed :oops: !
I must say that this is truly a very, very fun knit and I have all sorts of hat & glove ideas zooming around in my head ;) ! After reading so many horror stories around online I was a bit skeptical at 1st...but it's not hard, it's FUN, FUN, FUN :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: And as soon as I finish this ensemble I am going to make the matching gloves for the Branching Out scarf (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000373.jpg) and matching hat (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/IM000436.jpg) that I did last month...LOL, I broke down and ordered the Merino Syle from knitpicks for them...what the hey...I'm doing scarf or shawl and matching hat & fingerless gloves for all the others, had to do them for Branching Out, too! Then...either Knitty's Cozy or the super yummilicious lace shawl from winter Vogue.....only the yarn knows for sure ;) Besides, my bday gifts from Lonnie may very well steer me from my intended course (finishing my project list) bc I don't know what the EZ "A Glossary of Knitting" may inspire me to do and the wonderful Sensational Knitted Sock book (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=30656) may very well kick start my sock sabbatical before the intended time.....who knows?!....only My Knitting Yoda "Show Becka's knitting path I will so a knitting Jedi she can be"...who can argue with that?!...Not me :shock:

jodstr2
12-04-2005, 09:50 PM
omg rebecca - you ROCK!!! that Backyard Leaves scarf is truly bad@$$ :shock: :cheering: ! I can only hope at this point in my knitting know-how to someday make that one. I look at the chart and I wanna faint. I'm so anxious to see your pics :heart: !!!

Ingrid
12-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I can't wait to see the pics with your NEW camera! I'm sure they'll be awesome!!

Vendie
12-04-2005, 10:33 PM
You got the first half done in like 5 days?????????? I don't know whether to be mad at you or tell you that you rock....how about I do:

you rock :rollseyes:

how's that for a compromise? :rofling:

no seriously, I'm only "mad" b/c it took me like 4-6 weeks to get my first half done, and I only finished the stinkin scarf like 3 weeks ago after starting it in AUSGUST!!! And that was with the 11 pattern repeats and then you go and do 17?

*falls into a heap on the floor*

I don't know how you did it, but, ok, YOU ROCK!!!!! :notworthy:

-FG - who is insanely jealous of your knitting speed.

rebecca
12-05-2005, 02:12 AM
Thanks everyone, it's really, really fun to knit and I thought the chart too intimidating bc I HATE to knit from charts, so I don't. This is the 1st project that I have actually knit entirely from the chart..I used to just write the instructions out, but it's really not nearly as intimidating as I thought. I took the book to Kinkos and enlarged the chart and the symbol key and I have the chart in a page protector with my magnetic board under it & the strip magnet above each line & it's made it very easy to keep up...oh, and I highlighted the right side and left the wrong side plain AND I'm keeping up with the rows with a st counter (double protection...LOL!). I already have plans for a hat & fingerless gloves (lol, I hope to find glove needles that I like when we are out of town..then I may actually do gloves with fingers for a try...but I just prefer fingerless) and I have so much yarn I think I may do a clutch, too...I was just doing some sketching for it :D
FG, I actually finished the 1st half in 3 :blush: days! That was after I had done several swatches and ripped it out a few times until I came up with the needle combo that I preferred.
I think Annie Modesitt is a pattern writing genius! I really LOVE this pattern. I promise that I will load the software & upload some pics tomorrow...ya'll say such sweet & nice things, makes me really want to load them...I love u guys! THIS IS THE BEST GROUP OF KNITTERS IN THE WORLD :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
EDIT FG, I just reread your post, don't u be saying things like being jealous of me & speed knitting...LOL! Girl, YOU do beautiful work...I LOVE your scarf. Ya'll remember, I am the monogamous knitter & I happen to be home bc of my disability & I have more time to knit ;) MUAH

rebecca
12-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Jodi...if I can make this scarf..u can make this scarf...trust yourself, just do like I did with the chart..oh, and I even drew arrows on the chart @ each row on which end I was supposed to start...LOL!! I think that u can do it, just study the symbols & practice...have faith ;)

kemp
12-05-2005, 11:10 AM
Can't wait to see the pics! New cameras are so fun :)

Vendie
12-05-2005, 12:07 PM
Jodi...if I can make this scarf..u can make this scarf...trust yourself, just do like I did with the chart..oh, and I even drew arrows on the chart @ each row on which end I was supposed to start...LOL!! I think that u can do it, just study the symbols & practice...have faith ;)

yeah, I would say the hardest part about this pattern is just getting used to the chart, but after the first 5 or so pattern repeats, you really only end up using the chart as a place marker. It was a very easy scarf to make once I got the hang of it.

Rebecca, you're too sweet! But I'm still jealous! :devil:

rebecca
12-05-2005, 06:33 PM
I finally got the software partially straightened out...just can't find the way to reduce photos with this software...oh well, I will have to play with it...I have just a moment to post some pics...I SO LOVE THIS PATTERN :heart: !!

Day One
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0036.jpg

Day Three, 1st half complete
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0047.jpg

Detail of the ends
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0050.jpg

And today, with the beginning of the 2nd half..only had a little time to knit...I've been playing with the camera... ;)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0054.jpg

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
:shock: Wow! You did all that in three days? Fantastic! It looks lovely, Rebecca! :cheering:

rebecca
12-05-2005, 07:57 PM
:D Thank you! Actually, it's 4 days, I started on the 2nd 1/2 today...I'm off to work on it now ;)

jodstr2
12-05-2005, 09:27 PM
omg rebecca, between this one and your Branching Out, I am so in love with leaf patterns :inlove: !!!!!!!!!
we'll see if those patterns can love me back. maybe I'll give one of them a whirl during my holiday break.

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 09:29 PM
:D Thank you! Actually, it's 4 days, I started on the 2nd 1/2 today...I'm off to work on it now ;)

Oh, well, then, I take it back. ANYBODY could do that in four days! :roflhard: :roflhard:

rebecca
12-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks everyone :D
U so funny Ingrid ;)
Oh, Jodi..I'm so in love with leaves and vines..they are in all sorts of things that I'm loving..maybe bc I can't garden anymore...so I'm knitting the garden ;) It is fun....as we all know :thumbsup:

dustinac
12-06-2005, 10:35 AM
:inlove: I love that pattern you did a great job!! :cheering:

Freyja
12-06-2005, 12:22 PM
That PATTERN is great :heart: I am in awe of your knitting and your speed. :thumbsup:

rebecca
12-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone, ya'll are too sweet :heart:

Vendie
12-07-2005, 07:32 AM
It's lovely Rebecca! It's turning out quite nicely!

(I'm still jealous :D )

rebecca
12-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks :D I'm off to work on it now, hope to finish today or tomorrow, then on to the matching accessories :happydance: :happydance:

rebecca
12-09-2005, 11:46 PM
I have finished knitting Backyard Leaves & it's blocking away and is partially wet, but I decided to post the photos anyway ;) After it dries I will measure it to see how much it changes after drying so I will know the # of repeats & placement of the end on the hat. When it dries it will retain a portion of it 3D effect, but I don't believe it will stay as puffy ;) but will retain its waviness :D I am pretty sure that I will use the same size needles for the hat, I won't really know for sure until it dries a bit...but who knows...I may cast on anyway....Yoda Knitting ask I will ;)

Blocking on my old ironing board
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0061.jpg

closeup
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0060.jpg

Ingrid
12-10-2005, 12:07 AM
It is gorgeous!! And so long! You did a beautiful job, once again. :cheering:

vcuchica931
12-10-2005, 12:24 AM
wow, those are all beautiful! And you knit soooo fast! How is that possible?

Anyways, I was wondering, why is the backyard leaves scarf knitted in two parts? Are you suppossed to sew them together after they're done blocking?

InterNette
12-10-2005, 01:37 AM
that is beautiful. I love it.

DotMom61
12-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Rebecca ... That is so pretty! I love this pattern, and one day I will make it!!! It's just gorgeous! That is the perfect color for it, too. I think you need to open a boutique and start selling all these lovely sets you're making!

Vendie
12-10-2005, 10:08 AM
The scarf will maintain a bit of the 3Dness of the leaves, but won't be nearly as poofy as while you were knitting it. It looks fabulous Rebecca! Pay attention to how you do the hat and share it with me - I'd love to do that too! I finally got the ends woven in mine and it's ready for shipping off to Canada.

KellyK
12-10-2005, 12:08 PM
SOOO PRETTY! And, SUCH a good pic of it, too! :inlove:

DotMom61
12-10-2005, 12:16 PM
wow, those are all beautiful! And you knit soooo fast! How is that possible?

Anyways, I was wondering, why is the backyard leaves scarf knitted in two parts? Are you suppossed to sew them together after they're done blocking?

Shayla --

It's knit in two parts and then they're either sewn or grafted together in the middle. This assures that you don't have upside-down leaves on one side of the scarf. Pretty cool, eh?

rebecca
12-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone :D Once again ya'll make me feel so special ;) !
I had to reblock it..I HATED the way that is was looking so I took one half away and blocked 1/2 over night & shaped it the way that I liked it, didn't use pins and the final product was much nicer IMHO!
Last night I cast on for the hat using size 6 addi's, I decided that I would drop down a size and deal with the measuring as I knit rather than being able to premeasure the one that is done...but that's okay, I will figure something out..lol..I hope!
New photos of the 2nd blocking...much better, I think!

1st half that blocked overnight:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0068.jpg

Detail
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0066.jpg

1st half is blocked and 2nd is drying
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0069.jpg

Detail
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0074.jpg

Do ya'll agree with me, do you thing the 2nd blocking looks better?

jodstr2
12-10-2005, 03:37 PM
:oops: I can't tell the difference btwn the first and the second, rebecca. :oops:

that scarf is friggin awesome,. you ROCK!!!!!! :thumbsup: :cheering: :thumbsup: :cheering: :thumbsup:

where is the "I'm-not-worthy-bow-down" smiley?

shimacrema
12-10-2005, 05:26 PM
I absolutely :heart: :heart: that scarf! Your scarf looks beautiful. I have that book also and I am lost at how to read from a chart. Oh how I wish it was written out! Once again your scarf is beautiful.

rebecca
12-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks so much :D !!
I promise that this is the 1st pattern that I used a chart 100%. What I did was go to kinkos & enlarge the chart & the abbr. key so that it was @ the ready when needed, too. I then highlighted the knit rows & left purl rows white, with an arrow pointing to it bc I needed to start reading the pattern from left to right on the purl row....I then keep track of the row with a magnetic strip. I didn't think I was going to be able to read the chart...if I can do it...u can do it ;)
Oh yeah, I also counted the sts & wrote them down on the chart so that I wouldn't have to count with each repeat.
I took a picture of the chart that I am using after enlarging it..does this help?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0056.jpg

vcuchica931
12-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Shayla --

It's knit in two parts and then they're either sewn or grafted together in the middle. This assures that you don't have upside-down leaves on one side of the scarf. Pretty cool, eh?

ahhhh ok thanks!

I can't tell the difference of the blocking either. But it still looks great to me1

rebecca
12-11-2005, 04:35 PM
:D LOL, thanks...I promise the 1st blocking was flatter & I took the pins away and repostioned one 1/2 and it allowed some of the 3Dness to remain...had I left it as it was, I think it would have been too flat & I wouldn't have liked it..I get to be kinda hinky about the details :roflhard: :rofling:
vcuchica931, I'm sorry that I didn't respond to your question about the 2 parts, I am rather goofy @ times & read things and it just leaks out of my brain.... :roflhard: ;)

shimacrema
12-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks for showing us what u did to understand the chart better. I am going to print this out and see if I can make sense of it. It is probably easier than I am making it out to be. I did the same thing when I wanted to do the ruffles scarf from that book. After reading over and over and over again I still didn't get it. I left it alone for a few months then said let me just try it. I wanted to slap myself after I realized how easy that pattern was. Thanks again. After all of my holiday knits, I'm going to knit this for myself.

Shima

rebecca
12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
YAY Shima, I am so happy to have helped! I think we all do the thing where we look @ a pattern & say we can't do it and come back to it later...for example...I did it with this one ;) and it's easy!

rebecca
12-16-2005, 01:50 PM
My scarf is all done, as u know & I finally got around to seaming it together...I'm afraid that my 1st half was cast on too tightly & the seaming was a bit of a chore, but, it's done!

I then changed to size 6 addi's and knit the same pattern for the hat 'brim' or 'band' or whatever it's called using just 1/2 of the pattern so that the leaves are going in one direction & seamed it together so that the leaves formed @ the end will be tacked onto the St st portion of the hat when it is finished (later today, I hope!). I should have been finished long ago, but haven't been knitting much. I will post photos when I'm done ;)
Oh, and i have the leaf design picked out for the cuff edge of the fingerless gloves (love, love these, they are working very well with my crutches...YAY!) and I need to finish all of this to take on vacation :thumbsup:

Angelia
12-16-2005, 07:01 PM
That scarf literally made my jaw drop, Rebecca! It is beautiful! :inlove:

That chart, however, scares me...I don't know if I'm a "knit using a chart" kind of person...but then again, I guess, as with anything regarding a pattern, just go row by row by row, right?

Vendie
12-16-2005, 08:39 PM
That chart scared the bejeebers out of me too, but by the time you're through your first pattern repeat you're all good. It just takes a little while to memorize what all the little symbols mean :rollseyes:

Ingrid
12-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Knitting with a chart is the best!! A little symbol can take the place of all the wordy directions, so I find it's so much easier to keep my place. The sweater I'm knitting for my daughter is written out. I made a chart so I could knit from that. Having to read, "slip two stitches from needle and hold in front, knit two stitches, knit two from cable needle" was reduced to a line across four stitches.

If you use post its or a magnetic board to keep track, it's a breeze, plus you can make sure you're in the right place because you can see what stitch should be below the one you're working. It reminds me of color by number.

mintdee
12-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Rebecca that is so beautiful! I hope to make stuff as beautiful as you some day :D

Angelia
12-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Knitting with a chart is the best!! A little symbol can take the place of all the wordy directions, so I find it's so much easier to keep my place. The sweater I'm knitting for my daughter is written out. I made a chart so I could knit from that. Having to read, "slip two stitches from needle and hold in front, knit two stitches, knit two from cable needle" was reduced to a line across four stitches.

If you use post its or a magnetic board to keep track, it's a breeze, plus you can make sure you're in the right place because you can see what stitch should be below the one you're working. It reminds me of color by number.

That description makes it a lot less scary--and color by number I can do!! Thanks! :thumbsup:

rebecca
12-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks everyone! You sure know how to make a girl blush :blush: and feel very special ;)
I finished the hat this evening and have some photos to post. It was much easier than I aniticipated :D although, if I do another I won't used spiral decreasing on the crown. I have another pattern picked out for the wrist cuff for the fingerless gloves for this ensemble, but I think they will look nice, I will cast on for them tomorrow....I have also been sketching some ideas for a clutch with wooden handles using this pattern...we'll see how that one goes ;)

This is a shot of the side with the leaf ends sewn onto the St st portion of the hat
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0086.jpg

Here is the front/back/...the rest of the hat, in other words...LOL!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0089.jpg

Hat & Scarf Combo

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0097.jpg

This is more of the true color...I'm still learning about this new camera :?? !
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2005%20a%20few%20knitting%20projects/DSCN0096.jpg

dustinac
12-17-2005, 12:19 AM
:cheering: That is soooo pretty!!!! Great job :inlove:

Angelia
12-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Wow!!! :inlove: :inlove:

You are incredible! I need a Yoda. Will you be my Yoda?

KellyK
12-17-2005, 12:21 AM
REBECCA....I think you may have outdone yourself with that hat! It's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

rebecca
12-17-2005, 12:55 AM
:D Thanks everyone...ya'll are so sweet ;)

Ingrid
12-17-2005, 02:00 AM
You and that hat are AMAZING!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Vendie
12-17-2005, 11:02 AM
That hat is beautiful Rebecca - or should I be calling you Annie Modesitt?

:notworthy: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Freyja
12-17-2005, 11:55 AM
:inlove: WOW :inlove: They are beautiful :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

rebecca
12-17-2005, 07:35 PM
:D Thanks everyone, you make me feel so good ;)
FG, u r too funny, don't I wish I had the talent of Ms Annie!!! I am so in love with the dk edge of this scarf, i'm gonna have to find other projects in which to use it :cheering: :cheering:
I'm off to work on my gloves........................................ ;)

ebrperk
12-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Rebecca--

The beautiful work that comes off your knitting needles never ceases to amaze me. That hat and scarf are just beautiful.

Robin

vcuchica931
12-18-2005, 11:49 AM
omg Those are FANTASTIC!!!! :inlove:

benniesma
12-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I love that leaf pattern! Beautiful work!

rebecca
12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
WOW, ya'll are so sweet & make me feel so special, thanks so much :D

Julie
12-18-2005, 07:01 PM
Rebecca, it turned out great! So beautiful! :inlove: Way to go!

Mer
12-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Rebecca, that set is beautiful! :inlove:

rebecca
12-18-2005, 10:14 PM
:D Thanks so very, very much, you guys are the best ;)

melaniedc
12-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Rebecca,

I just started BYL, and have finally made it into the first repeat section, after several frustrated rippings! But I'm getting the hang of it and I like the pattern a lot, now that I've figured it out.

Your scarf and hat are just gorgeous! I envy your ability and speed! I'll be lucky to finish my scarf by the time it's warm again!

Thanks for the motivation to finish with this darned pattern! :rofling:

knitbebe
12-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Stunning! The hat and scarf is the best ensenble I've ever seen! Seeing the chart really helped me, and I'm sure others that have never used the chart.

You are a talented knitter! I Look forward to seeing your future projects!

Knitbebe

rebecca
12-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Oh my, thanks so much! I am nothing but thrilled to have been the tiniest bit of an inspiration :D Ya'll made my day..thank you :D

rebecca
12-21-2005, 02:03 PM
:waving: Hey Everyone! Happy Holidays One & All :D

I finished the fingerless gloves for my Backyard Leaves ensemble last night. The actual BYL pattern is too wide & puffy for the wrist cuffs so I used a simple leaf band. I'm excited bc I DO have enough yarn left over to do a purse :cheering: So, I will cast on for it in a few moments and see how it turns out...who knows, I'm winging it all the way...LOL!!
If I find the dpns that I have been eyeing online while I'm out of town...I may actually give actual glove knitting a go ;) Or, I may just give it a try doing ICord fingers...but then again, I love, love fingerless gloves...Who Knows?! Knitting Yoda ;)

Angelia
12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Wow, Becka! Those are beautiful! :inlove:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

You're just using those leaves everywhere ;)

Of course I would too if I knew how to make them....

rebecca
12-21-2005, 10:10 PM
:D thanks! I do love leaves, for sure! I just remembered that I used a leaf lace pattern with Branching Out, too...but leaves are gorgeous knitted up! LOL...it's as if I've knit at least a tree around here...LOL! I cast on and did 3 repeats for the bag in BYL pattern today. By the time I'm done with this ensemble I may be done with the leaves for a little while...but I bet not too long :D

Ingrid
12-21-2005, 10:20 PM
:notworthy: You amaze me!!! So beautiful!

Angelia
12-22-2005, 12:15 AM
You know you're going to have to put leaves on socks now, too, right?

rebecca
12-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks Ing-A-Ling :D
OMGoodness...I have sooo many things marked and notes written about socks and you know me well...of course leaves are gonna go on socks :thumbsup:

Angelia
12-22-2005, 10:34 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I knew it! :heart:

rebecca
12-22-2005, 05:16 PM
LOL, bc u know me well :D

Angelia
12-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, really, lots of socks...then lots of stuff with leaves....what else can happen but socks with leaves?!

And I cannot wait to see them!!

rebecca
12-22-2005, 07:41 PM
LOL...that does seem to be the natural occurence, now doesn't it?! I am looking forward to diving into socks, but I have now added yet another scarf to my long project list of scarves & shawls. BUT, this one if for Lonnie bc the yarn that I ordered to match the yarn given me by my secret pal was the wrong color. Of course, I didn't want to send it back, but there's enough to do "Interlocking Balloons" scarf from Scarf Style ( I really :heart: :inlove: :heart: this book!!) for Lonnie...and with him, it's just the scarf & not mathcing accessories...LOL! I found this picture (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/interlockingballoon.jpg) of the scarf online as is shown in the book, u can't see alot of detail, but it's very cool and the color that I have is natural in Elann's alpaca (yummy soft!!) .... I think that he will love, love it. And I have a bunch of SWTC's Phoenix yarn to do Here & There Cables Scarf (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/heretherecables.jpg), as was just seen (someone else's work..beautiful, don't u think? and his will NOT look girly!!) from the same book for him. So...my next projects will be for my :inlove: SWEETNESS :inlove:
FYI, I just looked @ the picture of the cable scarf again..it's reversible and I think that it would be okay for a man in one color..what do ya'll think...do u think this many cables too 'girly' for a manly man?! Please tell me what you think :D ...thanks :thumbsup:

Angelia
12-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Aww, a project for your :heart: SWEETNESS :heart: is certainly an understandable deviation from the sock sabbatical!

As for which scarf...wow, that's a tough call! They're both gorgeous! I think, though, that the "Interlocking Balloons" is the better of the two...though I just can't specifically say why! :thinking:

rebecca
12-23-2005, 12:25 AM
Thanks for your input, I just think that the Interlocking Balloons looks more manly. Even tho cables can and are worn well by men...I'm with you, I think I will do the Interlocking Balloons with the alpaca that I mistakenly got form Elann. I was @ Kinkos today making copies of the chart for Interlocking Balloons & looked at another scarf that I want to do for him, too, so I made copies of that chart, too, it's called Forbes Forest, so while we are on vacation I'm going to have him pick out the yarn that he wants for that one ;) Again, with these 2 scarves...there won't have to gloves & hats, well, he may want hats to match, but those would be simple watch caps ;) Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to knitting something for my :inlove: Honey Buns :inlove: !

Angelia
12-23-2005, 12:36 AM
Not a problem on the help--you've helped me often enough! :heart: :heart: What I've done is piddly in comparison!

What does the Forbes Forest look like? The name sounds so neato.

Say, it doesn't have leaves on it, by chance, does it? :rofling: :rofling:

InterNette
12-23-2005, 02:26 AM
I think I love leaves in knitting too Rebecca, I better learn how to make them one of these days. Everytime I see one of your pictures I am in awe. That would be a cool class, leaf making design. You did a beautiful job on all your projects, I love to see your pics.

DotMom61
12-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Becka --

I finally found my way over to this FO thread, and I have to echo everyone else and say "Wow! Those are gorgeous!"

I, too, am hooked on leaves. I still have these 4 balls of Karaoke Mermaid sitting here, too. I think I want to make myself a scarf w/ them, but #1 I'm not sure there's enough yarn, #2 I don't know what pattern to use. Perhaps I'll fiddle around w/ some of the leaf patterns in Nicky Epstein's Knitting on the Edge. Is that, per chance, where you got the cuff pattern for your fingerless gloves?

Julie
12-23-2005, 12:38 PM
Julie, I can answer that -- there's a version of that leaf pattern is in KotE, on page 120. :D There's also a very similar variation (fewer rows) in The Knitter's Bible, if I'm not mistaken.

DotMom61
12-23-2005, 01:52 PM
I think I've tried the one in KoTE, and loved it. Like I said, I may just have to fiddle with it and see if I can turn it into a scarf. :happydance:

rebecca
12-23-2005, 06:15 PM
LOL, I looked at both the KOTE & knitter's bible version and went with knitting on the edge :thumbsup: Good eyes, my friends!
DotMom, I'm sure that pattern can be worked into a scarf, just double it with the straight sts being in the middle and leaves on both sides, tI think...I will have to think about it...gotta pick my hubby up!
forbes forest looks like this photo below that I took from the book...I think it would be cool for lonnie & he can pick out his yarn

Angelia
12-23-2005, 06:35 PM
OMG--that is STUNNING! :inlove: :inlove:

Make it! Make it!

rebecca
12-23-2005, 06:39 PM
:D thanks@
dotmom, i'm in a rush, but i was thinking that the leaf border would be gorgeous on each end of a scarf more so than making the scarf of it...either way, actually...there are SOO MANY ideas in that book!! love it!!

DotMom61
01-02-2006, 01:23 AM
OK, Rebecca, 10 days later, and I'm finally coming into this thread to read what you said! :doh: (The holidays have been really busy!)

Anyway, your scarf ideas are great!! You may have read around here somewhere (don't ask me where) that I'm working on a scarf design using a lace pattern that I found. Hmm ... let's see if I can find that thread ... I'd love to have your input!

Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90780#90780) it is!

Anyway, once I get that one done, I will try working the leaf border into another pattern. It's SOOO pretty!

How's Forbe's Forest coming along?