PDA

View Full Version : YARN SNOB....

Stitch
12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
I have officially become a yarn snob....LOL

I bought some AWESOME Karabella (sp?) extrafine Merino yarn (for pants for my baby) and it is AMAZING to knit with!! super smooth, slides so easy, and i can knit at least twice as fast with it.

then i went to my other project...a xmas stocking fo rmy MIL, which i am using cheap acrylic yarn. i HATE it!!! LOL

so i have decided that i am officially a yarn SNOB. i only want soft and silky yarn!!

now i just need the money to feed my new addiction
:rofling:

:XX:

Jax3303
12-05-2005, 12:36 PM
I know exactly how you feel. As soon as I started with Natural fibers, I couldn't even touch the cheap-o acrylic stuff. I have many yarn loves; Lorna's Laces, Cherry Tree Hill, Knitpicks Amberosia (well, really, all of knitpicks yarns...lmao)

Julie
12-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Yup, ever since I started with the Malabrigo, I don't want to use anything else. :inlove:

jelly
12-05-2005, 12:55 PM
another yarn snob checking in here

at this very moment i am wearing my clapotis that i made with Lorna's Laces Lion & Lamb in Black Purl (i will post a pic tomorrow, if i can get a pic of it in the right lighting)

i just can't stand Red Heart or Caron or most Lion Brand stuff - it feels icky

today i should be receiving 2 packages - some Artyarns Supermerino and some SWTC Karaoke

knitting ain't a cheap hobby, that's for sure

Stitch
12-05-2005, 01:04 PM
yup....my MILs stocking is Red Heart...i think i am just going to buy some peruvian wool from Knitpicks....never tried it, but its pretty cheap, and i have heard good stuff about it.
i paid $9 for a 50 gram ball of Karabella. and i needed 4 for my sons pants....he is 5 months old and has a pair or 40 dollar pants HAHAHAHA

jelly
12-05-2005, 01:13 PM
that's why i don't knit for kids - no way am i handing over a $50 scarf to a 9 year old, no matter how much i love her

Julie
12-05-2005, 01:21 PM
:roflhard:

nicolethegeek
12-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Well I haven't been knitting long enough to become a yarn snob yet. Let me rephrase that... I haven't knitted with any "nice" stuff {with the exception of the Sirdar Denim I'm using right now} to become a yarn snob. *BUT* I *am* a thread snob. After crocheting with some DMC Cebelia, going back to "Old Maid" {my name for South Maid} felt like crocheting with sandpaper!!! The only time I use South Maid now is when I need a specific colour... that's the one thing it does have!

CarmenIbanez
12-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Well, I am not exactly a yarn snob. I just choose the yarn based on what it will be used for. When I make hats and gloves for the boy, he gets wool-ease yarn from lion brand. Just because it is a good compromise between "feels good" and "lasts long". :-)

But I like to use nice yarn too.

koolbreeze
12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
plus i know you love your baby but why use expensive yarns on baby clothes knowing the won't wear it next month? at the rate my 6 month is going by the time she is 9 months she will be wearing 12month clothes!
i guess it can be a nice keepsake though.

Stitch
12-05-2005, 02:57 PM
plus i know you love your baby but why use expensive yarns on baby clothes knowing the won't wear it next month? at the rate my 6 month is going by the time she is 9 months she will be wearing 12month clothes!
i guess it can be a nice keepsake though.

i know!! it was just SOOOO soft, i couldnt resist. ;)

koolbreeze
12-05-2005, 03:00 PM
i know what you mean! girl but i have to resist cause i have f kids and they will all be better dress than me... nit they already aren't cause i don't have any clothes!!!
but i did try to knit a hat with that nasty red heart...YUCK!!! i hate that stuff.

knitncook
12-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Growth is why I don't knit my kids socks :) I don't mind spending good money on hats, scarves, and sweaters, but their feet grow way too fast for them to get socks.

rebecca
12-05-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm afraid that my yarn snobbiness is with sock yarn..LOL...and I have an affinity for all South West Trading Co. yarns, but these are for special occasions....I so love everything at so many places..artyarns, but they are @ one of my fave sites.... www.kpixie.com and I do so love my knitpicks...what did I ever do without them :shock: ?!

KellyK
12-05-2005, 11:25 PM
I try to be a FRUGAL yarn snob, I dont buy much that's not on MEGASALE!

rebecca
12-05-2005, 11:29 PM
That's me...I'm a REAL yarn snob only now & then for special things..Mostly I'm a knitpicks yarn snob... :heart: :inlove: :heart: KP ;)

Arugula
12-06-2005, 02:04 PM
OMG, I am so with you. I went to my LYS yesterday to return a set of $7 dpns and spent $62 on yarns that were ON SALE! I am making sweaters for my boys. My consolation is this: I'm making them a size too big (little boys look so cute in oversized sweaters) to hopefully get 2 seasons out of them and the younger can grow into the older one's plus my younger is a bit of a runt and doesn't grow very fast (he's been in size 12 month for about 9 months). Plus it is so yummy! I have been using recycled wool sweaters but nothing compares to the new, soft merino stuff. Ahhhhhh....

Carol_OH
12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
i SOOO want to try Karaoke!