PDA

View Full Version : Sorta OT: Christmas has come early at Chez FG

Vendie
12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
:cheering: YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! IT'S HERE!!!!! :cheering:

DH just called me and told me that my new spinning wheel is in!!! This was an early Christmas gift from my parents. While they were here at Thanksgiving, we went down to Sheep Street and ordered an Ashford Kiwi. The owner just placed the order last Monday, so this was fast!! I was expecting something closer to the weekend!!

THIS JUST MADE MY DAY!!! :happydance:

And sweetie pie DH is going to go there tomorrow to pick it up for me! (They're always closed by the time I even get off from work) The brave sould is going to an LYS!

HAPPY DAY HAPPY DAY!!! :cheering:

Of course, I will have to go back down on Saturday to pick up some rovings and accessories with the gift certificate I got too. Poor poor me.

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
A spinningly Merry Christmas to you!!! :cheering:

VickiIL
12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Ohh...Fun! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

rebecca
12-05-2005, 07:41 PM
U SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND BABY RIGHT ROUND..... ;)
I didn't know u were a spinner :happydance: YAY for you with your spinning holidays :cheering: :cheering:

Julie
12-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Ack! That's AWESOME! Merry Christmas! :cheering:

Mer
12-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Cool! We'll need photographic evidence, you know. ;)

Carol_OH
12-05-2005, 08:47 PM
:cheering: :cheering: that's SOOO wonderful!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Vendie
12-05-2005, 09:12 PM
It's gonna be sooooooooo difficult to work tomorrow, knowing that my wheel will be waiting for me when I get home! I'm not even going to want dinner :shock:

i've just been doing the happy dance all night. think I'm driving DH a little insane.

cheetahcalledchloe
12-05-2005, 10:02 PM
What fun!!!! I would love to see a picture!!! :happydance:

KellyK
12-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Yeah....where's the picture???

Vendie
12-06-2005, 07:12 AM
You'll get a picture when it's actually in my house :D It's still at the store sillies. DH is going to go pick it up today, yay!

ebrperk
12-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Congrats on the spinning wheel. I would like to learn to spin one day but I will wait until I live near a store that can teach me. And I am SO SORRY to hear that you have to go to the LYS to buy stuff. What a tragedy. :roflhard:

Robin

MaryB
12-06-2005, 10:01 AM
When will you start taking orders for the fabulous Fiber Girl Fibers?

dustinac
12-06-2005, 10:17 AM
:cheering: Now if it was my dh he would still make me wait till Christmas DAY just to drive me batty LOL will you get yours tomorrow or have to wait? Merry Christmas to you!!! :happydance:

kemp
12-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Wow! Congrats...that's so fun.

knitncook
12-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I must resist. I must resist! This is the second person I have heard of who has gotten a spinning wheel this week. I refuse to pick up one more hobby! Between cooking, rubberstamping, knitting, scrapbooking, pysanky, quilting and herb gardening, I just don't have enough time for another hobby.

InterNette
12-06-2005, 11:30 AM
oh a whole new adventure beginning for you. Congrats

Vendie
12-06-2005, 11:59 AM
I must resist. I must resist! This is the second person I have heard of who has gotten a spinning wheel this week. I refuse to pick up one more hobby! Between cooking, rubberstamping, knitting, scrapbooking, pysanky, quilting and herb gardening, I just don't have enough time for another hobby.

Oh, I really don't have time for spinning; heck I've barely had enough time to knit lately. But I do find it a fabulous stress relief (which, totally unrelated, I'm REALLY going to need tonight).

Now if it was my dh he would still make me wait till Christmas DAY just to drive me batty LOL will you get yours tomorrow or have to wait? Merry Christmas to you!!!

And I'm sure mine would make me wait if he had bought it, but because Mommy bought it, I can have it today - provided I spin some yarn for her to knit with for Christmas. :D

When will you start taking orders for the fabulous Fiber Girl Fibers?

You know :thinking: I hadn't thought about that...hmmm, I might have to go check out my grocery store's KoolAid selection...need to add some dyeing books to my Christmas list...I like the name Mary :thumbsup:

Congrats on the spinning wheel. I would like to learn to spin one day but I will wait until I live near a store that can teach me. And I am SO SORRY to hear that you have to go to the LYS to buy stuff. What a tragedy.

I know, such a tragedy. I don't know why Nancy (the owner) thought I would want a gift certificate for her store, I NEVER shop there. :rollseyes:
Hmmm...fiber or a niddynoddy?...what else do I need for my little wheel?

feministmama
12-06-2005, 12:11 PM
U SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND BABY RIGHT ROUND..... ;)

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Vendie
12-07-2005, 07:29 AM
ok, here's your picture...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/fridaknits/kiwi.jpg

gee, call me silly, but I kinda thought that they would put it together for me :?? The instructions are all pictures, and they don't really make all that much sense.

But, I do have to swoon for a minute - DH was goig to try to put it together for me. If you knew my DH, you'd be saying "wooooooow! that's so sweet" - not b/c he's not normally sweet, it's just that he's not the handiest man when it comes to tools and such (neither am I for that matter). So even though he didn't get very far (it's still in the box), it was a very sweet thought and I :heart: him for it. He was talking about calling the store tomorrow to see if they could put it together for us...either that or we're going to have to try it together :shock: (not such a good idea if I say so myself - we can't even go to the grocery store together successfully)

KellyK
12-07-2005, 08:15 AM
:roflhard:

I would think the store would put it together for you.....if you asked sweetly. :lol: Arent there things that have to be "balanced" correctly??

dustinac
12-07-2005, 09:29 AM
:roflhard: dh would still make me wait just tease me... at least a day or two thinking I had to wait the whole time :rofling:

I understand the working together part... we get along wonderfully but if you have us build something together look out... He is handy on computers can tear them apart, rebuild, fix thats his job and web designer.. however I guess where I grew up with a dad that was handy and we were often his 'help' I can put things together most of the time without inst. this drives dh crazy cause he has to sit down read everything... line all parts up... re-read everything.. and 3hrs later we are still sitting there he gives up says something is missing/wrong and I finish it in 20 mins... he comes back and says oh I just got you started... I just say of course you did Sweetie... :lol:

Vendie
12-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Ok everyone, I _finally_ got little Kiwi out of the box and put together.

I would have to say that this was the easiest thing involving tools and screws that I have EVER put together. It took more time to wax the pieces than it did to put them together. This instructions made me :?? at first b/c they were all illustrations - no text. But once I got everything out and started working on it, they made perfect sense...

So far it's spinning great. I have a small bag of roving that I bought at the 2005 Fleece Fair that I can finally spin :cheering:

The Kiwi comes with 3 bobbins and a lazy Kate. I can get a jumbo flyer and/or a high speed flyer to make different types of yarn (jumbo for bulky weights, high speed for finer weights), and there's a neat swift like contraption that you can fit on top that takes your finished yarn from the bobbin to the swift and can be wound into balls from there. It's pretty cool. I don't have any of this stuff yet, but it's nice to know that I can expand my spinning repertoire. Heading off to the LYS tomorrow to get some new roving (mmm, I think the Merino is calling my name) and some other goodies with my gift certificate.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-10-2005, 11:37 PM
COOL!!!!

It's nice and compact looking

ebrperk
12-11-2005, 11:24 PM
I was just wondering about your spinning wheel and wanting an update. It looks like so much fun. I can't wait to see some of your spun fiber. Please show pictures when you get some done.

Robin

Ingrid
12-11-2005, 11:56 PM
A yarn shop near her offers spinning lessons. I was there one Sunday right before the class started and several women came in carrying those, so they must be very portable. I can't wait to see that blue roving spun up!!

Vendie
12-12-2005, 07:30 AM
A yarn shop near her offers spinning lessons. I was there one Sunday right before the class started and several women came in carrying those, so they must be very portable. I can't wait to see that blue roving spun up!!

Yeah, they're very portable. One could easily fit it in her car, and say, take it to Iowa for Christmas so she could spin while visiting parents... :D

ebrperk
12-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Have lots of fun with it over Christmas. I am so wanting to try that but it will have to wait a while.

Robin

mintdee
12-12-2005, 01:25 PM
I was very happy buying my yarn but after joining this place Spinning looks so great! I want to try thoes Drop spindles some time. So if anyone wants to give me theirs I will appreciate it. :shifty:

:roflhard:

Vendie
12-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I have a drop spindle that I'm not longer using - but I'm not sure how good of a spindle it is for a beginner, considering I never got the hang of it. It's a pretty light spindle, which for a reason I don't understand makes finer weight yarn. But your more than welcome to it!

mintdee
12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Wow I was really just joking but...

Ooooooo.... You would be my friend FOREVER! Thoes things are expensive new. And I already spend enough on yarn as it is. :doh: