PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite christmas carol?

tigger0229
12-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Mine is I Wish You a Merry Christmas.
:cheering:

brendajos
12-08-2005, 10:25 AM
I love christmas carols. i have a couple that are perennial favorites...i love all the hymns so i won't even try to choose one of those. however the ones that ALWAYS have to be on my CD are "Grown up Christmas List" and "Let There Be Peace on Earth." I have been wearing out the CD on "Mary's Boy Child" (Harry Connick Jr. version) and "Mary Did You Know?" (Clay Aiken version--yeah I am not proud) lately too.

so i will go with those for now...lol

knitncook
12-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Jingle Bells. But it has to have the bells chiming behind it and it has to have a fun beat. I also like Silent Night when it is sung with a guitar as a lullabye. Can we name our least favorite carol? Oh Holy Night sung by any opera singer. I have a version of it on a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album where it is played soft and non-dramatic. It is beautiful. Something is just wrong with it when it is sung by someone trying to belt it out.

Of course it is only Dec. 8th and I'm already sick of Christmas music.

dustinac
12-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Like Brendajos I love all the carols.. but my favorite song that I get chills on is Mary Did you know? but by the guy who wrote it.. Mark Lowry.. he use to sing with the Gaither quartet he is still on their shows but sings more solos.. I love that song..

Ronda
12-08-2005, 10:33 AM
O Holy Night.

MrsBear87
12-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Favorites: I'll be Home for Christmas; Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem; Sleigh Ride

Hate Ums: Little Drummer Boy (Think about it. Mary has this new born baby asleep, and this wise guy shows up with a drum! I'd throttle the little monster.) Oh Come, Oh Come, Emannuel (Sounds depressing. Think it's in a minor key.)

benniesma
12-08-2005, 10:49 AM
There are too many favorite carols to list. But my all time favorite Christmas music is Charlie Brown Christmas album with Vince Guaraldi. It doesn't seem like Christmas too me until I hear that one!

KellyK
12-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Santa Baby!

brendajos
12-08-2005, 11:00 AM
ooooooooooh the ones we hate too? yeah anything that can be considered a parody. I am amused the first time, after that they just grate on my nerves. "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" is the worst offender!....first for bad grammar and second because it is just rude!

benniesma
12-08-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm right there with you Brenda! My mother gave me a stuffed reindeer that sings and dances to that song. I absolutely cringe everytime I hear it. And don't you know it's my kids' favorite decoration. I hide it in the bottom of the box every year, and they dig until they find it. Wouldn't want to hurt grandma's feelings, they say! :wall:

MaryS
12-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Favorites: all the old traditional carols, Do You Hear what I Hear?, The Cherry Tree Carol - this one is hard to find but BEAUTIFUL.

Just for Fun: I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas!

Ones I'm NOT crazy about: Drummer Boy, and Grandma got run over by a Reindeer, and some of the other "novelty" songs.

Oh, and the WORST is: Barking Dogs 'singing' Jingle Bells! UGH

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Mary

Sara
12-08-2005, 11:39 AM
O Holy Night- belted by an opera singer (preferably me!) ;)

Favorite choral piece- Rosa Mystica

Other favs- I Saw 3 Ships
Silver Bells
anything by Bing Crosby

Mele Kalikimaka has been going thru my head since I just finished my presentation on Hawaiian music. "MK" was not included, of course, but I've got Hawaii on the brain. :lol:

tigger0229
12-08-2005, 11:41 AM
I adore Oh Little Town of Bethlehem!! it's so hard to pick a fav.
But for sure, I detest that grandma run over by the reindeer too. and also there's a redneck christmas one out that is sung to 12 days of christmas and it's very annoying. ya'll probably don't hear it up north.
Also love Upon a Midnight Clear.

brendajos
12-08-2005, 11:46 AM
I adore Oh Little Town of Bethlehem!! it's so hard to pick a fav.
But for sure, I detest that grandma run over by the reindeer too. and also there's a redneck christmas one out that is sung to 12 days of christmas and it's very annoying. ya'll probably don't hear it up north.
Also love Upon a Midnight Clear.

no we hear it....and block it out!

kemp
12-08-2005, 11:59 AM
I love them all, but I'm an O Holy Nighter too. It never fails to make me all teary eyed.

tigger0229
12-08-2005, 12:03 PM
LOL BJ don't blame you. it's horrible! why is it continued every year??
Kemp, you are right, it sends chills also.

Carol_OH
12-08-2005, 12:18 PM
"good king wenceslaus" though I know I just butchered the spelling!

tigger0229
12-08-2005, 12:32 PM
Carol, I love that one too. hadn't thought of it!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Okay, I'm a total nerd when it comes to Carols!!!

My favoritest favorite is A Coventry Carol. I just love the minor key, and how soft and lullaby-like it is, but with that great major chord at the end (that's called a picardy third--when a song is in minor, but ends in major--not that any of you care!)

Every year my mother in law and I go to see the group Chanticleer, and they have an original setting of Ave Maria which they sing every year. It's gorgeous; modern writing, but with that medieval antiphonal call-and-response organization that just makes it PERFECT for old gothis churches.

I also LOVE Feliz Navidad... not necessarily because I love the song, but my KIDS (at school, remember!) love the song... I purposefully structure my units so they are doing guitar around Christmas time, so they learn the chords, and have to play and sing the song for a test. It's one of the only sings I can get them to play and sing without any "But Mrs. Coss, do we HAVEEEEEEEEEEEEEe to sing????" Like I'm torturing them :rollseyes: It's so awesome to have 30 kids sitting there playing guitar and singing their hearts out, and know that they really are having fun *wipes tear*

Do You Hear What I Hear and It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year are also tops on my list!

Songs I hate: those FREAKING beatle ones!!!!!

lisak
12-08-2005, 01:14 PM
I also :heart: Feliz Navidad! It's so much fun!

I'm actually driving my DH crazy, because I've only been listening to the stations playing Christmas music. I don't know how I can stand so much of it myself, but it's happy music!

nicolethegeek
12-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Oh geez!!! What's the maximum post size on the board? I work in retail so carols tend to be the bane of my existance! What's really scary is that overnight at work, it's a mostly request show by associates all over North America and they *ASK* for these songs. :rollseyes:

Hates: Gramma got run over by a reindeer - is on EVERY STINKIN' NIGHT... get over it, Gramma's dead okay, leave her in peace!
Ave Maria is a gorgeous song, but was one of the songs at my first wedding... noting word "first" should show that I can't listen to it anymore for obvious reasons.
O Holy Night was ruined by hearing a wav. of the South Park version about 5 or 6 years ago... man having weird memories sucks when it comes to good songs!

Novelty: Can't recall the name of it ATM, but it's the one done by the Chipmunks. I crack up every time I hear it.
All I Want for Christmas... reminds me of happy times with my Mom {she's been gone just over 2 years now} when I was young... I had it on one of my K-Tel records when I was a kid.

Loves {or WM radio please play these ALL NIGHT LONG}: I pity *anyone* venturing into receiving when these songs come on... I sing along at full volume! :oops:
Silver Bells, Little Town of Bethlehem, I'll Be home for Christmas <sniffle>, White Christmas... basically any song that was recorded before 1950 or so I think.
There's one more that I absolutely love, but don't know the name of it. It sounds like a Jamaican steel band almost. I heard it on the way home from pool with hubby on Tuesday night on the radio, and I *STILL* don't know the name of it. :doh:

Carol_OH
12-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Carol, I love that one too. hadn't thought of it!

:D

SisterSusie
12-08-2005, 01:54 PM
I love "O Come All Ye Faithful"...
SisterSusie :cheering:

InterNette
12-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I am not a christmas person and usually dont even put a tree up but I DO LOVE the carols. I dont think i have even heard one yet. i love o holy night, i am dreaming of a white christmas is a fav. I cant miss that movie either every year.

Sara I have to ask you (since your the only person i ever heard listens to hawaiin music) if you have heard one of my favorite musicians?

http://www.kealiireichel.com i love his music and saw a chance to share it.

InterNette
12-08-2005, 02:02 PM
I am not a christmas person and usually dont even put a tree up but I DO LOVE the carols. I dont think i have even heard one yet. i love o holy night, i am dreaming of a white christmas is a fav. I cant miss that movie either every year.

Sara I have to ask you (since your the only person i ever heard listens to hawaiin music) if you have heard one of my favorite musicians?

http://www.kealiireichel.com i love his music and saw a chance to share it.

tigger0229
12-08-2005, 02:06 PM
oh I love oh come all ye faithful and silver bells too!!!
when you start thinking about it, there are so many Christmas carols.
I'm listening to a radio station playing all christmas and it's wonderful. you get so many versions of the same one.

jodstr2
12-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I love them all, but I'm an O Holy Nighter too.
me too :thumbsup: !

also:
It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
Do They Know It's Christmas? (the original. I don't care for the 20 yr anniversary version)
The First Noel
The Christmas Song
Merry Christmas Darling

listening right now to : Ultra Lounge Christmas Cocktails Part I and II
swingin groovy, baby!

aprildavis99
12-08-2005, 02:34 PM
O Holy Night, Christmas Shoes, White Christmas, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, and Silver Bells...in that order.

I love loads of others, but those are the top 5.

I

Sara
12-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Anette--

I bought a few albums of traditional Hawaiian chant and one on steel/slack key guitar. I listened to some samples of Keali'i Reichel, but I haven't heard any full songs. He sounds very good. Which of his albums is best?

I downloaded Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow and included that in my presentation. I figured it would be good to play something the other students would recognize. I wanted to show part of a video called Holo Mai Pele to introduce them to hula dancing, but I didn't have time.

Vendie
12-08-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm right there with you Brenda! My mother gave me a stuffed reindeer that sings and dances to that song. I absolutely cringe everytime I hear it. And don't you know it's my kids' favorite decoration. I hide it in the bottom of the box every year, and they dig until they find it. Wouldn't want to hurt grandma's feelings, they say! :wall:

My mom used to start practicing that song on the piano in November and kept right on going to January! And as much as I love my mommy, I do not like that song!

I do love oh come oh come emmanuel, i think it's very lovely - I have an odd fondness for songs done in minor keys for some reason. I have taken a recent liking to purely instrumental versions of christmas songs. I have a great CD of folk instrumental carols, and it's the only christmas cd i own. I REFUSE to buy christmas albums done by pop stars, I've been burned before....

kayeknit
12-08-2005, 03:29 PM
O Holy Night- belted by an opera singer (preferably me!) ;)

Favorite choral piece- Rosa Mystica

Other favs- I Saw 3 Ships
Silver Bells
anything by Bing Crosby

Mele Kalikimaka has been going thru my head since I just finished my presentation on Hawaiian music. "MK" was not included, of course, but I've got Hawaii on the brain. :lol:

Sara, you're not REALLY an opera singer, are you???
My favorite is O Holy Night too...so beautiful.

humblestumble
12-08-2005, 03:31 PM
I like oh holy night too, and "Baby It's Cold outside"...but I'm not sure that that's an actual carol, it's more of just a christmas song.

feministmama
12-08-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't like christmas :rollseyes:

Sara
12-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Sara, you're not REALLY an opera singer, are you???
My favorite is O Holy Night too...so beautiful.

Has anyone ever paid me to perform in an opera? :oops: No. (Would they have to pay me? Probably not. ;) )

My voice is best suited to the grand styles of opera and oratorio. I sing in choruses and recitals and at church.

I have a hard time listening to others sing the songs I love, I want it to be MEEEEE singing! I control myself, though. :lol:

dustinac
12-08-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't care for the song.. All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth.. my two front teeth.. my dad sings this all year round so its just driven into my brain cells.. get out.. get out :shock:

tigger0229
12-08-2005, 06:04 PM
I don't believe I've ever heard about the three ships.. :thinking:

wrchili
12-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Mele Kalikimaka reminds me of National Lampoons Christmas vacation. It's a tradition in my house to watch that on Christmas Eve. I don't really have a favorite carol, but I love the trans siberian orchestra as far as my favorite Christmas music.

Ingrid
12-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Two our our local radio stations started playing nothing but Christmas carols since NOVEMBER 10!! Before Veteran's Day!! I was so annoyed that I sent an email to the general manager (the same people own the two stations). I got a reply giving me some bull about how Christmas music makes everyone happier, helps us not to think about terrorism and child abductions, blah, blah, blah. I pointed out that the Christmas season has the highest suicide rates, depression, stress, etc. Not to mention the lack of respect for any Jewish, Hindu, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc, who might want to listen to their stations. He said he's send me an email inviting me back to the station after New Year.

They have the best news and weather, so I do only listen for that. Unless Mariah Carey is singing All I Want for Christmas is You. That one I could listen to all year. Who wants Ba rum bum bum bum in November?

Sorry to put a damper, but I half wish it was January.

hedgehog
12-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Hmmm... My sister and i tend to load up the CD player around the 20th and do a christmal carol blitz while cooking, wrapping, etc...

I'd have to say my ultimate fave is the original BandAid recording of, "Do they know it's Christmas?"... yeah, it's 80's and all but for some reason it still "gets" me. Those opening bells and drums always give me goosebumps..

Then, all things Bing... "Mele Kalikimaka" is a big favorite as well as "White Christmas".

I love all of the pre-50's ("Do You Hear What I Hear" moves me everytime, "I Saw Three Ships", etc) but i also love the more modern ones (Yes, all of those "A Very Special Christmas" cds with the Keith Harring art on the cover)... John Lennon's "War is Over" (if only!) :rollseyes:, Queen's "Thank God it's Christmas", the Eurthymics singing "Winter Wonderland" and so on...

But nothing supermodern... if it's done by Mariah, Justin, Christina, etc.. Icky! Icky! Icky! - No! No! NO! :fingerwag:

-hh

Jackie M.
12-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Somewhere In My Memory by John Williams, from the movie "Home Alone".

I love it!

ut hum.....me me me me meeeeeeeeeeeee

"Candles in the window......shadows painting the ceiling.
Gazing at the fire glow......feeling that gingerbread feeling.
Precious moments
Happy people
Smiling faces
I can see

Somewhere in my mem'ryy
Christmas joys all around me
Living in my mem'ry
All of the music
All of the magic
All of the family
Home here with meeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Sorry I can't carry a tune

Ingrid
12-08-2005, 08:57 PM

I thought you sounded a little off-key there! :rofling:

Jackie M.
12-08-2005, 09:14 PM

I thought you sounded a little off-key there! :rofling:

:oops: That last note always gets me.

vcuchica931
12-08-2005, 09:51 PM
i love silent night and silver bells

Sara
12-08-2005, 10:17 PM
OMG, Hedgie! I love your list, too! I graduated from high school in 1986, are we contemporaries?

BinkyKat
12-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Santa Baby!

Eartha Kit version or Madonna?

"Put Alpaca under the tree, for ME"

I like Oh Holy Night... also sung properly, not overdone.
I like the Eurythmics version of Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland. I also like the Bing Crosby, Perry Como classics. Reminds me of the records my dad had and would play when we were kids. Something strikes me funny about Dean Martin singing Rudolph... makes me wanna down a martini and make snow angels :roflhard:
Can't stand Gramma Got Run Over by a Reindeer. One of our stations plays /7 holiday music from Thanksgiving to Christmas Day. Granted, a person can get burned out quickly, but it sort of is a let down when it ends.
That song about the little girl and her poor little injured bird that turns into the Nightingale makes me cry! I have to turn it off if they play it or I'll lose it. I've gotten to be such a blubberer since my Dad passed away.

I TOTALLY cannot stomach any Christmas songs sung by Mariah Carey, Jessica Simpson, or Christina Aguillera, and that whole pack.. A person shouldn't feel turned on listening to Silent Night
:shock:

I also love Nat Kind Cole's songs ;)
I could just go on an on....

brendajos
12-08-2005, 11:26 PM
A person shouldn't feel turned on listening to Silent Night

:roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard: :rofling: :roflhard:

InterNette
12-09-2005, 01:33 AM
besides old Bing Crosby I like my Elvis Presly carols. ,my x husband who was hawaiin hated it and really bugged me about it but it went on i never cared. I loved Elvis since I was at least 4 years old and i still listen to his carols. There I admitted it.

Sara I love IZ especially his rendition of "somewhere over the rainbow"
keali'i Reichel Kawaipunahula is my favorite. his songs are both in english and Hawaiin. Wanting memories is such a favorite of mine.

dustinac
12-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Internette, noone sings Christmas like Elvis!! I love Elvis!! I was telling dh it was time to get my Christmas CD out and start playing it 24/7 he can't stand Elvis but I think its jealousy... I love Mamma liked the Roses... From the time I can remeber every time Elvis was on dad would pop some popcorn and we would sit ont he couch and watch Elvis he liked him too.. my mom not so much.. My bedroom at home was Elvis I have it all for my daughter.. and my son who is 5 already knows who the king is.. LOL dh says I wish you got that dreamy lost look on your face when I walked into room instead you get it when you see Elvis on tv.. :inlove:

Ellen Edwards
12-09-2005, 10:30 AM
'Do You HEAR What I HEAR'--I think that and 'O, Holy Night'!! I love MOST of them but not the foolish ones.

No, I didn't know Mark Lowry wrote Mary , Did You Know'!! He's a really talented singer AND writer--and the Gaithers are great.

And how many MORE opera singers do we have on this forum!!! (Not me--I'm just a lowly alto!)

Ellen Edwards
12-09-2005, 10:42 AM
One of our nieces has 3 daughters who all sing in the Virginia Chorus with the VA symphony. Last week, at a "mini'family reunion , they got up (years 18, 16 and 14) and sang 'BRING THE TORCH,JEANETTE ISABELLA' in French, no less, and Sweet Little Jesus Boy, both a capella!! We were all enchanted--these 3 beautiful fresh scrubbed girls standing up in front of the Christmas Tree, with NO fear whatsoever making lovely harmonies that only siblings can make!! They've even sung with the symphony at Carnegie Hall. And they were all three standing up there in jeans, pea coats and yep!! HAND KNIT SCARVES!!!!! It will definitely be a favorite Christmas memory of mine to keep. :heart:

Music IS something that I HAVE to have!!

jsauer
12-09-2005, 04:35 PM
oooh, oooh, oooh! Angela Lansbury as Mame singing "Need a Little Christmas". OMG. I get verklempft! Strangely, it makes me clean house like a mad woman! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And MOSTEST of ALL: Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas - the whole d*&n album. THE BESTEST.
jmho

peepers_cap
12-09-2005, 04:49 PM
This will probably seem silly, but when we were little every year we would play the Alabama Christmas album. (Thats right, vinyl) "Thistlehair the Christmas Bear" was the song my mom played while we decoraated the tree. That one remains my favorite to this day. The runner-up is "And The Glory Of The Lord" from Handel's "The Messiah." It is a very beautiful piece of music which is overshadowed by "The Hallelujiah Chorus."

tigger0229
12-09-2005, 05:01 PM
peepers, that's one of my fav albums. I love alabama.
Thistlehair the christmas bear is a great song!

VickiIL
12-09-2005, 05:26 PM
How did I miss this thread? I LOVE Christmas Carols. I can't listen to them before Thanksgiving but starting the very next day I have Carols on ALL the time. I love all the old favorites. O Holy Night, Silent Night, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Oh Come All Ye Faithful....There are just way too many to name.

The "new" carols are so pretty too. I love Mary Did You Know, Sweet Little Jesus Boy,

The kids' Christmas music is so much fun. My son just got a CD with the music from the Grinch. We enjoy listening to that as well.

ebrperk
12-09-2005, 06:02 PM
I have several favorites. I love Away in A Manger, Tennessee Christmas, The Whole Alabama Christmas Album, Any Amy Grant Christmas Music, Snoopy vs the Red Baron Christmas Song

I drive Dh crazy with it in December but this year I haven't played very much.

Robin

hedgehog
12-09-2005, 08:15 PM
OMG, Hedgie! I love your list, too! I graduated from high school in 1986, are we contemporaries?

Yes indeedy... class of 1988... you're right in between me and my sister (class of 1985 and recent 20 year reunioners... *snicker* ;))

I love the songs that came out then... (even though they're not really "carols") This morning i was listening to "Father Christmas (Give us some money)" by the Kinks... GREAT SONG.. :)

I've been singing it all day...

"Have yourself a very merry christmas, have yourself a good time, but remember the kids who have nothing while you're drinking down your wine..."

-hh

Ellen Edwards
12-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Since our Direct TV has started offering XM satellite radio--I can get what is called Classical Christmas, I think. And it has the older, more formal songs--many of which we've sung in Cantatas in church from years past. It brings back good memories of when we were young and the kids were small....hmm :heart:

mintdee
12-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Santa Baby!

Eartha Kit version or Madonna?

Eartha Kit hands down! I have never liked Madonna she is much to ho-ish.

I love Any Grant singing Breath of Heaven. It is so beautiful! Then there is I'll be home for Christmas and anything Bing sings!

Sara
12-10-2005, 12:31 AM

Yes indeedy... class of 1988... you're right in between me and my sister (class of 1985 and recent 20 year reunioners... *snicker* ;))

I love the songs that came out then... (even though they're not really "carols") This morning i was listening to "Father Christmas (Give us some money)" by the Kinks... GREAT SONG.. :)

I've been singing it all day...

"Have yourself a very merry christmas, have yourself a good time, but remember the kids who have nothing while you're drinking down your wine..."

-hh

I'll be singing the Kinks all day tomorrow...

And you won't catch me at a high school reunion.

WE'RE GOING HOME FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!! :cheering:

I haven't been home for the holidays in 12 years!!!!

My mom has a great Christmas album collection. Julie Andrews, Andy Williams, Guy Lombardo, all the Firestone Christmas albums. It's a smorgasbord of tunes. The best thing dad ever bought for mom was her stereo.

She has a children's Christmas album with Suzy Snowflake and The Littlest Snowman With the Red Candy Heart. I can't wait to play it!